Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise for a running mum!

Options
  • 16-07-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I used to do some running in 2008 - 2010. i took part in the kiladre half marathon (2hrs 3 mins) and great ireland run (53 mins). Other than that i did the flora womens mini marathon twice - times both around the hr but to be honest its so jammers i wasnt really bothered about the times!

I then became pregnant, had a miscarraige, and then stopped running, as even though it wasnt rational i felt the running may have contributed.
    Ive since had a baby girl in feb and all is well :)

I want to start running again but find it hard to find time. I am going back to work soon and so will find it even more difficult to find time!
    I saw the focusireland 10k tunnel run and thought it would be a great challenge for me- id be really proud to complete it. Im totally unfit , and itsin 4 weeks. I hada section and so really the only exercise ivebeen doing is walking several times a week.

Im wondering if anyone can recommend a training plan that would have me capable of running ( dont care how long it takes!! id imagine 1hr 15 is realistic!!) the full 10k by 12th Aug. I really would be frustrated if i couldnt run it all.... even tho im totally unfit...! Dont really want to wait for another event as i have motivation at the mo and as said wont have as much time when get back to work!

I can probably only fit in 3 runs a week - with walks every other day.

Advise really welcome cos if its up to me i dont think ill make it past the finish line...!!!:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A very simple training plan
    This week
    Tuesday 3 miles Thursday 2 miles Saturday 3 miles
    Next week
    Tuesday 3 miles Thursday 2 miles Saturday 4 miles
    Week starting the 30th
    Tuesday 3 miles Thursday 2 miles Saturday 5 miles
    Week starting the 6th
    Tuesday 3 miles Thursday 2 miles Friday 2 miles Sunday race

Do all your runs nice and easy, slower than you think you can complete the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck with the run. Regarding getting out, I find it handy to get runs in at lunchtime when I am at work. Would this work for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Thankyou so much raycun for that plan!
    I'm ashamed to say I didn't get myself into gear for the race... :(
    However I did do my first run today! Think I'm unfitter than anticipated and I did only 2 miles and took me 22 mins!!
    I thoroughly enjoyed it!! And if I can walk by fri I'll try again!!! It's so mad how quickly ( suppose its been over a yr!!) you loose your fitness! But I'm hoping because I've run a fair bit before that it will come back quicker?!
    Certainly no pain from section scar or anything like that - so I have zero excuse not to be out there now when I get a window of opportunity! I had just gone on a 2 mile (same route) walk with the dog so was delighted I was motivated within a few mins of that!!

Won't be able run during lunch ( no way of having shower etc ) as work in a suit and would be v smelly after!! Lol!

I think maybe I'll have to really push myself and go before the baby gets up... So maybe at 7 am... Just for 25-30 mins and then try do the longer run as described above when my hubbie off work!

No sights on a race just yet.. Have decided I'll be annoyed if i attempt a 10k and know I won't do it under the hr - so gonna try work on it for a month or so before looking!

Anyway - thanks again for all the tips - very helpful!

I will update this as I continue!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

dublinlady wrote: »
    Thankyou so much raycun for that plan!
    I'm ashamed to say I didn't get myself into gear for the race... :(
    However I did do my first run today! Think I'm unfitter than anticipated and I did only 2 miles and took me 22 mins!!
    I thoroughly enjoyed it!! And if I can walk by fri I'll try again!!! It's so mad how quickly ( suppose its been over a yr!!) you loose your fitness! But I'm hoping because I've run a fair bit before that it will come back quicker?!
    Certainly no pain from section scar or anything like that - so I have zero excuse not to be out there now when I get a window of opportunity! I had just gone on a 2 mile (same route) walk with the dog so was delighted I was motivated within a few mins of that!!

Won't be able run during lunch ( no way of having shower etc ) as work in a suit and would be v smelly after!! Lol!

I think maybe I'll have to really push myself and go before the baby gets up... So maybe at 7 am... Just for 25-30 mins and then try do the longer run as described above when my hubbie off work!

No sights on a race just yet.. Have decided I'll be annoyed if i attempt a 10k and know I won't do it under the hr - so gonna try work on it for a month or so before looking!

Anyway - thanks again for all the tips - very helpful!

I will update this as I continue!!

Best of luck with it - the hardest thing is starting. Would recommend the getting out early - will keep you buzzing for the day:)

Don't be too hard on yourself - you've had major surgery as well as a baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck with this!
    It is hard with little ones, but not impossible. Look through the training logs. There are loads of full time and working Mums that juggle it all (and make it look easy!:rolleyes:) so you might find some inspiration there.
    Your idea to go early is an excellent plan, and if that works for you it'll make fitting in the training so much easier.
    Another suggestion (assuming lunch time is out) would be to run home from work (or part of the journey)? It takes a bit of organisation, but can be a great use of time, instead of sitting in traffic.

Like I said, good luck with it. Take it slow and enjoy your (return to) running.

• Advertisement

I know this is old - I had my second baby 11 weeks ago and did first run today - 18 mins non stop - v slow but steady - no idea of distance but so delighted!
    Both babies were sections so was afraid to start back sooner - I'm so ready now - gonna try every second day! With all your advice from last time!!! I love the post run high !!! Last time I never got back as was pregnant before I had a chance! This time I'm hoping to do a ten k before Xmas! Def the Kildare one in April. Glad to be back!

Also anyone run while breast feeding - I have just presumed its not an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I'm no expert but I think you'd be best advised to feed the baby before you go or after you come back rather than feeding while running.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Famous ultrarunner ran the hard rock 100 mile race in 2007 and she stopped at every aid station to breastfeed and still finished in the top 10 out of 500 runners.

So, well it can be done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Some advice in the links below. Main one seems to be that as well as the extra calories for breastfeeding you'll need more again for running so youll have to make sure your eating enough and eating well. Longer runs can be more problematic but theres advice in there for that too.

http://running.about.com/b/2008/11/06/can-i-run-while-breastfeeding.htm

http://www.running-mom.com/mothers-running-marathons-while-breastfeeding.html

• Advertisement

T runner wrote: »
    Some advice in the links below. Main one seems to be that as well as the extra calories for breastfeeding you'll need more again for running so youll have to make sure your eating enough and eating well. Longer runs can be more problematic but theres advice in there for that too.

http://running.about.com/b/2008/11/06/can-i-run-while-breastfeeding.htm

http://www.running-mom.com/mothers-running-marathons-while-breastfeeding.html

Thanks that's v helpful - it is making me laugh that most articles mention not doing it simultaneously..... ;) I had 2 kids within 15 months - I don't have a choice !! Haha!
    Also it made interesting reading but breast feeding while marathon training... Well I only ever made 18 miles in a single training session so I don't think it'll be an issue unfort! Ill stick to the 10km for now! Mind u I've a half marathon in mind for next yr.. But we'll see!!
    Running certainly caused me no problems yesterday - cant wait to get out again Tom! Delighted with my section recovery too as I thought I might get some aches afterwards but no - just in my weak & weary legs!!!!

1.8 miles in 20 mins....
    A little off my old aspirations but I'm proud for day 2! Missed it - love it!

1.8 miles in 20 mins....
    A little off my old aspirations but I'm proud for day 2! Missed it - love it!

Also is it possible to move this thread to training logs so I can record or will I just start anew?!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

fair play to you ....keep going-great start

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Don't be afraid to join a club. Where are you based. Anywhere near knocklyon. If so we can really help you in bros Pearse AC.

PVincent wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to join a club. Where are you based. Anywhere near knocklyon. If so we can really help you in bros Pearse AC.

Thanks,
    I think at the moment I couldn't join a club - purely cis with the 2 babies I only get to run a short notice when everyone's finally behaving!! It also depends on my IH's work schedule which at the mo involves alot of evening / night work. But I have always wanted to join a club - maybe when things settle down or feeding becomes nite predictable I will.
    I've my sights set on 3 miles for the morning!

Well done on getting out there (again)
    Love the enthusiasm
    Best of luck with the training - and keep logging

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Well done on getting out. I have three kids and also would love to join a club but just impossible with my other halfs work. Just grab any time u have even if its only twenty mins.if u make it a habit to get out the miles will add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Also is it possible to move this thread to training logs so I can record or will I just start anew?!
    done

just a personal experience but I've found running while bf'ing very challenging. It was fine to get marathon fit but as soon as I tried to improve and add some quality running then the quanitity and quality of my milk decreased. I really didn't get propery fit again until I weaned after a year of nursing. Then of course I got pregnant straight away again so we are 2 weeks into baby #2 now and it's the same, moderate exercise seems fine but cant over do things.

Mon - 3 miles 36.56 mins
    Awful time but delighted I managed to keep going anyway! I'm sure my times will speed up.....hopefully!!

Don't plan on aiming for much for than 10k at the mo cos between the 2 babies, work and couple other commitments I think I'm stretching my time (&will!) far enough! It's amazing how good running (even at snails pace) makes me feel about myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey dublinlady best of luck with the log! I started running when my youngest was still breastfeeding, never found that a problem - the main problem I had was the lack of sleep though...it wasn't until my kids started sleeping relatively well that I could up the training (I remember being exhausted from running 4 miles every 3 days back then). Even now if sleep is interrupted things start unravelling. I remember how good running made me feel though, that buzz is addictive :D All the best with your goals :)

3.4km 23 mins
    Using km now ... Makes me feel I went further... Haha!!!!

5.5km 37 mins.
    That was my long run. Used to be able do same loop sub 30... But anyway still happy I did the distance for week 2! It's enough for now I think . So will do that loop once a week and then 2 shorter ones also. After Christmas ill look at increasing long run distance for a 10km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Did someone mention the C word.............gggrrrrrrrrr

Best of luck with the running :)

3.2km 21.53 mins

5km 36 mins - was horrible - had stitch the whole way - had to stop twice. Just didn't enjoy it... But I wanted to which made me keep trying. Putting it down to a bad day as it felt much better last week. Will try a 3km faster run on fri.
    I will not be disheartened... Feel the burn.. Lol

3.4km 22.20 mins - felt much better. 40 secs quicker than same route last week. Even felt could go further at pace but didn't want to push it - will save that for long run!

5.5km 37 mins.
    That was my long run. Used to be able do same loop sub 30... But anyway still happy I did the distance for week 2! It's enough for now I think . So will do that loop once a week and then 2 shorter ones also. After Christmas ill look at increasing long run distance for a 10km

5.5 in 36.40 mins - only 20 seconds off previous time - weirdly thought it felt faster! Ah well !
    Had not been out for 5 days & didn't want to go today - so just glad I did! Will try do a 3k fast run in day or 2, haven't tried to go fast yet - just been trying to run at all! Want to improve my time a bit now tho!

You're doing really well. Congrats on keeping the motivation going - that's a big challenge when you start out (or start back).

One thing I'd say though - don't be so focussed on the pace/time just yet. Get regular running going first and when you have a bit more miles in the legs, THEN look at improving the pace.

Enjoy it and keep logging.;)

• Advertisement

Emer911 wrote: »
    You're doing really well. Congrats on keeping the motivation going - that's a big challenge when you start out (or start back).

One thing I'd say though - don't be so focussed on the pace/time just yet. Get regular running going first and when you have a bit more miles in the legs, THEN look at improving the pace.

Enjoy it and keep logging.;)

Thanks - think I need to reign in my competitive side.... I think I can run before I can... Well run!!!

Advertisement