Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise for a running mum!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Had a bad morning and felt like pushing myself
    3.23km 19.55 mins averaged 6 mins per km. I know it's early days but I still can't believe that's now my fast pace!
    Still I'm out 'running' so that's enough for now! Will head out again day after Tom for an easy 4km and then a long one a day or two after that! Gonna go mad and try 6km this week :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Best of luck with your run. You're a champ for getting back at it so soon. Someone said to me in my running group the other day to try run for 10 minutes longer than your previous run. Don't worry about the distance yet. It's about building up stamina. I'm only running myself since May and through increasing my time and a bit of decent food, I've lost 35lbs. Trying to lose the baby weight myself too, we have a 4 month old here. I comfort ate with herself, coz of the fear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

dublinlady wrote: »
    Had a bad morning and felt like pushing myself
    3.23km 19.55 mins averaged 6 mins per km. I know it's early days but I still can't believe that's now my fast pace!
    Still I'm out 'running' so that's enough for now! Will head out again day after Tom for an easy 4km and then a long one a day or two after that! Gonna go mad and try 6km this week :)

love your enthusiasm for running - its superb.
    Keep going, pretty sure you'll improve in leaps & bounds as the months progress.

Disaster today - had my sights on a lovely run - was I. Great head space - was excited about the route...
    Had v busy morning with the kids tho and so when I got my moment that I could go I hadn't eaten anything since cereal at 7.30 - it was now 12.30. Thought better to go before lunch so that I wouldn't get upset tummy from food. Well - after 1 slow km my whole stomach was sore the whole way across - like a stitch except all over. I tried to keep going at an even slower pace for 0.5km when had to stop and walk home slowly. Putting it down to over hunger before a run, will make every effort to have at least a banana and/or yogurt and granola an hr and half to 2 hrs before I go! Annoyed - wasted effort! Might try again later or maybe tomorrow. The route is slightly hilly and now I feel like it beat me - rage. Still i was out there so I'm sure it'll stand to me. Ill do that route today or tomorrow!! I seem to get bad stomach stitch one run in 4 or 5. I wonder has it anything to do with weak stomach muscles after the two recent c sections. Or just food based maybe. Anyway running on empty clearly doesn't work for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Don't get disheartened... we all have our bad days :rolleyes:
    The main thing is to keep going out

Make sure you're hydrated - that can be a factor in stitches - as can poor core strength, as you mentioned yourself. But there is no single cause and no miracle cure, unfortunately.
    I find that concentrating on my breathing helps when I feel one coming on - 2 breaths in, 3 breaths out (or 3 & 4, depending on the effort level).

Throw in a strength session once a week if you feel the core is weak. Plank is great (Lots of advice online - here's an interesting workout I might start trying myself :D - though if you're just starting out, maybe 3*1min straight plank on elbows with 1min between might be a better place to start?)

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Emer911 wrote: »
    Don't get disheartened... we all have our bad days :rolleyes:
    The main thing is to keep going out

Make sure you're hydrated - that can be a factor in stitches - as can poor core strength, as you mentioned yourself. But there is no single cause and no miracle cure, unfortunately.
    I find that concentrating on my breathing helps when I feel one coming on - 2 breaths in, 3 breaths out (or 3 & 4, depending on the effort level).

Throw in a strength session once a week if you feel the core is weak. Plank is great (Lots of advice online - here's an interesting workout I might start trying myself :D - though if you're just starting out, maybe 3*1min straight plank on elbows with 1min between might be a better place to start?)

Good luck!

Thanks!!! That's great - I took photos on my phone of all of those exercises so I have no excuse....!! It's always been my weak area - even when I was really slim and running 25 odd miles a week I had a flabby tummy.. Never was motivated to do anything about it - kept thinking if I got slimmer it'd go! But after the sections it's just a wasteland!! Plus I really want to get better at the running - if be so chuffed and proud if I could get a PB within a year or 18 months of having the 2 babies! So for me that's a 53 min or less 10km or 2.03hr half marathon. And I think I liked half marathon distance as a challenge! I like 10km but I don't think ill ever be that fast - not a natural speed demon.. So the endurance challenge of the half is better suited to me! Maybe my 10km before may next year ( baby born in may) and maybe Dublin half marathon in race series.... Ok I've said it now!!!

I think your right about the dehydration too! I hadn't been drinking well at all this morn! Ill try again in the morning - really couldnt motivate myself to pop on the shorts again!
    Thanks for all your advice :)

Advertisement