Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Came back from saturdays cycle and Aoibhe(2.75) had a temperature of 39.5, Eoin then promptly puked on me. This continued until yesterday. Went to the doctors, didn't bring them sooner as always told "takes a few days for the bug to be diagnosable". Aoibhe has tonsillitis, Eoin just liked puking. She was at her worst last night so no sleep again and then today he puked and got the 39.5 temperature and probably tonsillitis too.

Debating nipping out at lunch for the snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Poor kids nothing as bad as a dose of tonsillitis, suffered with them as a child up until my mid twenties, very sore.

As for the snip, ye got bigger balls than me, I couldn't do it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »

If you get the snip you can't train for at least two weeks and you'll get fat!!! Or at least that's what I've been telling my wife since child no. 4 came along :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It's expensive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Keep going out on the bike on cold mornings and they'll drop off themselves, save you a trip to the Dr.

#Tip - use your Garmin to indicate the temperature by the degree of fogging present. The better the fog, the colder it is :D

• Advertisement

Aoibhe had a temp of 39.5 for a few days and was diagnosed with tonsulitis.
    Eoin was just happy out puking on Mammy and Daddy.

Now Eoin has tonsulitis too.

Both sick as dogs, both refuse to eat or sleep. Means both of us are fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sounds like Garmin are sick of you sending back watches, and now each unit they send you has had a quick visit to a local biology lab first...

A weekend of vomit and tonsillitis. I now think that Aoibhe *might* be allergic to the antibotics. Back to the doctors.

I managed a run that's it. Partly because of the kids, partly because I got a bit of a bug as well. No training bad, no eating good.

I did clear down some of my unix accounts that I have littered around the place. I found this message in one, back when there was nothing I knew of bar usenet
    Newsgroups: rec.sport.triathlon
    Subject: ITB and cycling
    Reply-To:
    Followup-To:
    Keywords:
    Summary:

My right ITB started acting up mid-september as a result of running and I've been getting treated and all that. It had been getting better. I recently fitted spds to my commuter bike and I'm thinking that I made a mistake for a number of reasons. Firstly I've nearly been creamed a few times because of not getting my feet out of them in time, incluind one time with a slow motion fall when stopped at lights. But more importantly they seem to be irritating my ITBs. Both are tight generally and its something that I'm working on but I'd really like to know is there anything I can do to avoid this. I think my saddle height is a little low and according to books I've looked over (Going Long was the main one) the primary cause of ITB from cycling is your saddle being
    too high. So I'm confused and I'm sure that by now I've confused you too. Anyways if anyone can decipher this ramble I'd greatly appreciate some advice? Should I just go back to toe clips on the commuter?

How times change.......

6 weeks of bugs now and we're both so very very tired. The kids are improving but its taking its toll on us.

Not getting much done and just going to chillax and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Are you sure this thread is in the right forum?? Perhaps public health and infectious diseases would be more appropriate. ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Are you sure this thread is in the right forum?? Perhaps public health and infectious diseases would be more appropriate. ;)

I can report all kids healthy as of 1600

Eoin teething - a non standard eruption pattern. Means he is now getting 2-3 molars, despite only having 6 teeth at the front that also came up in a non standard fashion!

Made an ar$e of myself at the club Christmas party. Got hammered, sh!tfaced and rubbed my nipples while licking my lips looking at my wife (people took photos too) then fell asleep in the taxi and had to be carried out of the taxi and into the house by the wife...SO embarrassing. Oh no wait that wasn't me, think it was that bloke from the new Idiot Abroad.

Oh wait now I remember I got sh1tfaced, talked smack, invited all and sundry to race me in North Tipp sprint, then insisted on going dancing, then fell asleep in the taxi on the way home (where my wife took photos and sent them on), then got out of the taxi and puked my ring. Oh no wait that wasn't me, GodSaveTheQueen.

Good night out with the club, plenty of pints, home at 3:30, up at 8am to go ice skating.

Anyways seems like we've all been challenged to do
    (a) North Tipp Sprint
    (b) not get chicked by Dr Jaundices wife in the Clonliffe Christmas Cracker.

Just realised your log may need a name change, just substitute "It's" and you'll be sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oh wait now I remember I got sh1tfaced, talked smack, invited all and sundry to race me in North Tipp sprint, then insisted on going dancing, then fell asleep in the taxi on the way home (where my wife took photos and sent them on), then got out of the taxi and puked my ring. Oh no wait that wasn't me, GodSaveTheQueen.

Tango did not mention this yesterday...

Funniest part of that night out was the missus saying "Surely Dave does not do triathlon let alone long distance tri" me "yes he does trust me" missus looking bemused "looks like he could win a hot dog eating contest or two"

Just realised your log may need a name change, just substitute "It's" and you'll be sorted ;)

This needs more thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sounds like a good night out. I'd say the slagging was unreal :cool:

Over the last six months I've returned six Garmins as their screens fogged up so much that they were unusable.

My rants and raves have brought out four types of people:
    1) Type: Polar user(note singular)
    Typical saying: "Polars are great, look at the quality of manufacturing."
    So I bought an RCX5, piece of garbage. Yes it looked great and was manufactured well but the absence of features was a killer

2) Type: Garmin users who have had similar problems
    Typical saying: "Piece of sh1t, I've an RCA from Garmin to return it to be swapped out but haven't bothered yet.
    I do wonder why this type of person hasn't kicked up a fuss as without fuss Garmin won't fix the problems

3) Type: Garmin users who haven't had similar problems (Type I)\
    Typical saying: "Mine is great, haha"
    After some more discussion its revealed that theirs does actually behave the same but they work around it by only training at night.

4) Type: Garmin users who haven't had similar problems (Type II)
    Typical saying: "Mines great, could you have a personal micro-climate thats causing the problem?"
    I'm in two minds, one says "There is no such thing as a 910xt thats fit for purpose, they've just not used it in the same conditions*". The other voice says "Hey Garmin fvcked up the 310xt initially and then released a proper verison under the radar. Of course they won't admit the scale of the problem - the cost of the exchanges would be huge. Maybe if the serial numbers are high enough its new enough to work (suspect needs to be over 2HL120000)"

So I'm now without anything other than a basic HRM. I've looked at the Timex Global Run Trainer (no lap avg pace), Magellan Switch (no custom workouts). Then along came the one remaining Polar user in the world and offered the lend of an RS800CX. This *might* just do everything I want a running watch to do. After my RCX5 experiences I was reluctant to buy one without trying so happy days.

Also I know one of the few Type 4II people well enough to say "You're full of it, your Garmin is hosed too you just don't know it, give me a lend of it for a week". They are.

So will the RS800CX do what I want? Will the 910xt not fog? Stayed tuned, same fat-time, same fat-channel.

*Conditions: Clear skies, cool day, between 12-3, West-East out and back route with no trees or buildigs around.

I know of two people who fall into type 4II, I've seen loads of people posting "mines fine" but I actually only know (in real life) two people who claimed their watches were fine.

One (with serial 2HL131487) got the fogging today, thankfully I am borrowing the other one from our resident pint sized poster and then we will see :)

I fear my watch will now face the "Tunney garmin jinx"

• Advertisement

You're worried?! How do you thing I feel about my Polar running the risk of being Garminated by Tunney? :rolleyes:

I've not been running well recently. I know lots of it was weight, more was lack of running but something wasn't right. So off to the man with the tan. Left leg in a jock, right fine, muscle tone differences too. Something I always suffered from but not this bad.

Big problem though was the state of my left psoas. When Corkers says something is serious and needs to be addressed urgently then its damn well serious. "popping discs" was mentioned. Explains the twister sensation I've been feeling but best to work on this as told and head back next week for a check up.

You're worried?! How do you thing I feel about my Polar running the risk of being Garminated by Tunney? :rolleyes:

fvck DCRainmaker, he's detailed but not brutally honest nor as good at breaking things as I am. 8 watches, 6 months. Stay tuned for number nine falling soon (as soon as I can get out at lunch) #poxyMeetings

One week on with two new watches

If you b1tch and whinge enough eventually someone says "shut up, try these". Thats what happened this week. Someone lent me a Polar RS800CX with G5 GPS unit and someone else lent me a Garmin 910xt that they claimed didn't fog.
    Got them both at the start of the week.

I had (and have) no faith in the 910xt so started with the Polar. I installed the software in work and messed around a little with the watch. I found the interface clunky and very very dated. To give soome background I have a
    Polar S210 and a Polar S625x that I have used for years without issue and love them. I've even used my wife's RS300 and found it grand. I didn't like the interface, the options and the manuals and documentation weren't great. Although it did seem to tick alot of boxes and the Polar Trainer Pro software was pretty damn good.

Anyways Tuesday was cold out and I had to head into town after work to exchange a talking Jessie doll who "did a garmin" (i.e. broke). Toy Story is one of the few cartoons Aoibhe likes. She likes cartoons that she can relate to.
    She loves Toy Story because she has toys and goes to bed and is convinced her toys play with each other when she is in bed. She loves Doc McStuffins because she has a doctors kit and teddies and can tend to them when they get sick
    (i.e. eaten/molested/thrown in the toilet by her brother). She likes Handy Manny for two reasons I am convinced. One because the Spanlish gets on my substantial tits, one because she has a toy tool kit and likes to help Daddy fix
    things. (She got the tool kit because, well buying your grand daughter a toy tool kit is the normal reaction of a dotting granny when she discovers that the very realistic toy drill her first grand child is holding in a photo is
    actually a dual hammer action Black'n'Decker). She likes Mickey Mouse Club House - I'm not so sure but it could be something to do with Daddy doing the dance whenever it comes on, the Hot Dog Dance its called. Interestingly enough
    on a recent club night out when everyone sensible had gone home and Tango and JB started doing the Gang-nam style dance in the pub it came in handy as I had no clue as to the steps unlike queer and queerer so I joined in with the
    hot Dog Dance. To an obserer we all just looked like drunken kn0bs anyways.

Anyways Jessie was dead and had "climbed into Daddy's bag and went to work with him" "Yes Mammy I saw her jump on Daddy's bike and into his bag". So she had to be returned. I stuck on the RS800 and rode into town. I left East Point
    Business park and by the time I got to Annesley bridge (going the short illegal way) the entire screen of the RS800 seemed strange, thought nothing of it until I was in better light and then I nearly fell off my bike laughing.
    It had fogged up.

Now the owner of the watch has never experienced it so there are a few options
    1) I imagined it
    2) They didn't notice it
    3) They never used it in same scenario (warm office cold outside and watch face exposed)
    4) It only happens to me

1) is out, 3) is out, 4) I thought might be valid as I strapped on my decade old S210 and recalled how it never ever acted up and the only time my S625x fogged was when I changed the battery myself.

So that leaves 2) which is possible. I've gone through 8 watches in 6 months, I'm hyper aware of fogging now and I tend to flick my wrist to glance at the watches rather than looking straight at it. This oblique angle really
    shows the fogging up.

So Garmin 910xt (if your serial is under 120000 yours its fvcked, you just haven't noticed. 120000 - 130000 you have a 50/50 chance.
    RS800 only used one but signs not good
    Timex Global Trainer - reports are of fogging.

I've a lend of a high 120000 serial 910xt and am trying to feck that up but conditions (sunglight wise) haven't been right. Temperature wise its been fine but I've only ever seen that happen to one Garmin Swim, one Polar RS800 and
    one Garmin 910xt so wasn't really expecting it.

As an aside Wiggle have "lost" my returned 910xt so don't have the cash to get a replacement watch even if I knew of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Have you ever considered setting up a rival site to DCRainmaker for honest reviews of equipment?

BennyMul wrote: »
    Have you ever considered setting up a rival site to DCRainmaker for honest reviews of equipment?

Who would give me stuff to review? Would be honest reviews and useful for buyers but........

Polar? Nope (Dated tech, no ANT+, recent stuff fogs, targeted almost exclusively at newbies)
    Garmin? Nope (Running watches not waterproof 610, 910 isn't usable, all their bike computers add 5% inaccuracies to power figures
    Timex? Nope (Don't get power training, cannot calibrate/zero units, not lap pace, units fog)
    Magellan? Nope (Not configurable)
    Computrainer? Nope (Great hardware, but heart rate doesn't work, software is shocking and the tyre temperature piece is an issue, would still buy one again though)

So off that top of my head the only all positive reviews would be:
    SRM (PCV/PC7)
    Saucony (all their gear rocks)
    Cervelo (p2c)
    Elite (Turbos)
    Cannondale (CAAD5 and CAAD9)
    Exposure (although I'd have some bad things to say here)

Honesty is not always good. Depends on alot of things.

For example I know of one lad who told his long term girlfriend
    "Those pants make your ar$e look fat" That didn't end well

People don't like to be told the bad things. I remember my 5th class teachers report that came home. (I actually do remember it) "Does not take criticism well". I didn't but that report stuck with me my life. I try to be open to the negative comments so I may improve and grow. Unfortunately I assume that everyone else is too. (Thankfully if I tell herself that something is unflattering I get a thank you (a snarl too but a thank you))

Some people are just destined to train by feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Elite (Turbos)

I'm taking this positive and running, before he tells me the one I have is sh1t. :D

BennyMul wrote: »

I actually got stung by his reviews once. Polar RCX5 - read it a few times and then try one out. The experience and frustration does not match the glowing review.

There are never ever negative things to say. When you are always positive and never speak the negatives then what good is a review.

Much like I say when management insist that everything is urgent. "If everything is urgent then nothing is".

• Advertisement

Got my money back for my 910xt! If JBs 910xt lasts a few days I may buy another one but ONLY when I can check the serial numbers.

Advertisement