Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Myself and another lad in work were *just* about to head for a lunch run when the boss man suggested a lunch in the bar for a leaving do!
    Nice lunch. Wedged now. A nap would be nice now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Plus better to be hunted by eager cougars than to be taken aside by the bride and politely asked to stop perving at her mates.
    She was actually asking could i politely tell you to stop dancing as you were putting the rest of the guests off.
    I think there is a clip of it alright somewhere!
    Oh there is a clip of you making an eejit out of yourself & swooning to the sections Sporty Spice sings to.

Saved for future use, just in case;) a zigga zig aaaaahhhh

She was actually asking could i politely tell you to stop dancing as you were putting the rest of the guests off.

Pot kettle on the dancing. However grabbing asses was way out of order.
    Oh there is a clip of you making an eejit out of yourself & swooning to the sections Sporty Spice sings to.

Saved for future use, just in case;) a zigga zig aaaaahhhh

At some stage you will realise that I will quite happily make an ar$e of myself in any given situation. Difference at the wedding was it was deliberate :)

Coppers on the 21st I believe to see the band again!

Discussing runner choice recently I remarked on how I change my shoe choice based on my weight - not just because the weight directly requires more cushioning but because when I am heavy I run badly, and this bad form means a requirment for more cushioning.

Weight|Shoe
    >12st 2|doesn't matter, not possible to run well at over this weight for me
    11st 10 - 12st 2|Nike Zoom Elite. Not a heavy shoe but enough so I am not completely crippled
    11st 4 - 11st 10|Beginning to run well - Saucony Mirage
    11st 0 - 11st 4|Saucony Kinvara - running nicely
    <11st|Neutral foot strike and light, whatever I want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Coppers on the 21st I believe to see the band again!

It would be a crying shame not to:)

• Advertisement

Swim yesterday - a test set to see where I was.

Warm up and then 20x100 best even effort off 2

01:40.0
    01:44.0
    01:46.7
    01:45.2
    01:50.6
    01:48.6
    01:49.8
    01:50.8
    01:48.9
    01:50.0
    01:48.7
    01:51.5
    01:54.4
    01:49.9
    01:49.7
    01:52.6
    01:54.6

Bad - very bad. But whats worse is the 4x50 fast off 60 after.
    0:50.2
    0:54.7
    0:57.0
    01:01.0

Shocking, shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow. I at least hope that was in a long course pool???

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Wow. I at least hope that was in a long course pool???

Nope.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/260327925

2nd time swimming in a few months

Yikes!! Perhaps you forgot to take off your tshirt before you jumped in?? Or maybe you accidently left your shoes on?? One hand tied behind your back.....lost a leg recently.....??

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youre almost as bad as me. Now theres incentive to get off your arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Swim yesterday - a test set to see where I was.

Warm up and then 20x100 best even effort off 2

01:50.6
    01:48.6
    01:49.8
    01:50.0
    01:48.7
    01:51.5
    01:54.4
    01:49.9
    01:49.7
    01:52.6
    01:54.6

Bad - very bad. But whats worse is the 4x50 fast off 60 after.
    0:50.2
    0:54.7
    0:57.0
    01:01.0

Shocking, shocking.

Before the suggestion, "to see where I was" - fair enough but a tough set and after 10 Id imagine you knew where you were ;)

<feel free to ignore> ... best effort sets ... I reckon if you did that set again as 4 sets of 5*100 on 2 with 1min rest between each set then it might be a step towards a full set of straight 20 in that manner next time around.

4 average 1.43's might be better than

But hey, as above, just a suggestion. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

^^^^ I may have mis-read this - if this was part of a coached session - then coach knows best and please ignore my input.

interested wrote: »
    ^^^^ I may have mis-read this - if this was part of a coached session - then coach knows best and please ignore my input.

It wasn't
    Before the suggestion, "to see where I was" - fair enough but a tough set and after 10 Id imagine you knew where you were ;)

<feel free to ignore> ... best effort sets ... I reckon if you did that set again as 4 sets of 5*100 on 2 with 1min rest between each set then it might be a step towards a full set of straight 20 in that manner next time around.

Agree 100%.

By 5 I knew where I was, by 10 I was wrecked, by 15 my form was gone and I was all over the place.

4 average 1.43's might be better than

But hey, as above, just a suggestion. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

I think you have mistaken my intention. My goal wasn't to get the best 20, 4x5 100s with a break would have been much less painful and given better times.

However for me it was the times and how I felt in the water on 17,18,29,20 and the 4x50 that I wanted to see. I really wanted horrific times and terrible form. Why? Because I cannot delude myself.

The bit of me that still thinks I'm a triathlete imagines 4x50 as 45,40,37,32 and 20x100 as 1:32 slipping to 1:35 with the fast 50s at the end as 40s

That bit of me got the wake up call that the session was meant to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Did you check to see if you had a wee hobbit hanging onto your ankles?

For shame, 400m TT, bad bad turns on some of it but that only excuses 6 seconds. A pathetic 6:51. Pure sh1te. Still you get out what you put in............

Continuing on with taking stock......

I've not ridden my bike in anger since my last FTP test so time to retest. FTP test tonight.

Last test was 9/11/2012

5 minute
    Averages
    329 watts 180 bpm
    Peaks
    285 watts 192 bpm

20 minute
    Averages
    283 watts 176 bpm
    Peaks
    462 watts 187bpm

I think the averages for the test tonight will be closer to 300 for the 5 and 265 for the 20 minutes.

Still with the Tour Of Sufferlandria coming up I need accurate FTP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭El Director

Continuing on with taking stock......

I've not ridden my bike in anger since my last FTP test so time to retest. FTP test tonight.

Last test was 9/11/2012

5 minute
    Averages
    329 watts 180 bpm
    Peaks
    285 watts 192 bpm

20 minute
    Averages
    283 watts 176 bpm
    Peaks
    462 watts 187bpm

I think the averages for the test tonight will be closer to 300 for the 5 and 265 for the 20 minutes.

Still with the Tour Of Sufferlandria coming up I need accurate FTP!

Well? How didit go??

Glenda has asked me to bin Austria........... says there is no point as cannot have a good race and "no point in plodding around in 10.30 again".

She is probably right, I probably cannot get in shape.

Conflicted..............

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Glenda has asked me to bin Austria........... says there is no point as cannot have a good race and "no point in plodding around in 10.30 again".

She is probably right, I probably cannot get in shape.

Conflicted..............
    I say this because I care.

Quit the whining.
    Quit the excuses.
    Man up, or shut up.

Just fecking train, will ya!!

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I say this because I care.

Quit the whining.
    Quit the excuses.
    Man up, or shut up.

Just fecking train, will ya!!

Glenda????????

Wow. Oryx beat me to the punch. I was going to say....I find your posts entertaining because they're like a pitiful soap opera with all the drama, whining, and self-centeredness....but if Austria is something you really want to do, then don't be a pathetic quitter and not try. If you need a kick in the arse, then meet me and Oryx out back and we'll shame you into finding your set and your spine. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Do you want to do a 10:30ish IM?
    From my limited knowledge of you I do not see you as a person who wants to do one just for the "sake" of it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Why not stop thinking about Austria all the time and think more short term and just start hitting smaller, closer goals? And especially when the Tour of Sufferlandria is around the corner! #SUFFERING

Why not stop thinking about Austria all the time and think more short term and just start hitting smaller, closer goals? And especially when the Tour of Sufferlandria is around the corner! #SUFFERING

I have them all but not done them all. With a Computrainer its harder than a normally trainer as the load is enforced. The Tour will cripple me! Going to give it a lash thyough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Your time seems limited why don't you just concentrate on one discipline for a while ? Running would be the obvious one as takes minimum amount of time, get plenty of bang for your buck and I think I remember you considering running as your strongest discipline (although that might provide an impeteus to focus on swimming or cycling instead).

JUST HTFU

Monday 21st January

A nice 30 minute run out along the sea front. Despite my condition I'd normally catch people up the road from me on this route and I expected today to be the same. One lad I couldn't catch (and wasn't lifting it to catch him). When he turned around I saw why @bambatta - turns out he is equidistant to the sea front as I am. Could be some interesting suffering here.

FTP test in the evening, more like night in all honesty. Last test was November and I've not really ridden my bike since. Last time 329watts and 180bpm for the five minute test. Expected it to be well down. It wasn't - 331 and 180bpm. Delighted I got stuck into the 20 minute, aimed for the same as the last test given the five minute (283 watts and 173bpm - HR being a guide not part of the test) Five minutes in and BOOM. Too much. Started too hard. Blew my load.

Yes a failed test, but a damn good session. The near black out at the end of the five minute test should have been a give away.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/ZND7NH3BRJYLO25Y5E2WLCOS34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

If you're asking the question, I think you know the answer! ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    If you're asking the question, I think you know the answer! ;)

Emmmm immediately on stopping there was no doubt in my mind. Its just after download and review that you start to question. I think it was a genuine blow up but the query is worth writing.

• Advertisement

Training yesterday went to plan. What it was doesn't matter and I'd struggle to recall it. All that is fresh in my mind is a dodgy zip on some cheap bib tights and doing a "Something About Mary".

Advertisement