Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    Training yesterday went to plan. What it was doesn't matter and I'd struggle to recall it. All that is fresh in my mind is a dodgy zip on some cheap bib tights and doing a "Something About Mary".

Sorry but that's just too funny!!!! LMFAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »

Its not funny. It was the frank and not the beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

pgibbo wrote: »

The funniest part is Glenda had suggested that there is very little to get caught in a zip in the first place so she is not sure how he managed it.

Training yesterday went to plan. What it was doesn't matter and I'd struggle to recall it. All that is fresh in my mind is a dodgy zip on some cheap bib tights and doing a "Something About Mary".
    The funniest part is Glenda had suggested that there is very little to get caught in a zip in the first place so she is not sure how he managed it.

Never said this happened at home. Was in your house and I was in a hurry to get out quickly before you found me in your bedroom with Michelle.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never said this happened at home. Was in your house and I was in a hurry to get out quickly before you found me in your bedroom with Michelle.
    Now this, this made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I just can't understand why bib tights would have a zip?

BTH wrote: »
    I just can't understand why bib tights would have a zip?

They are cheap Decathlon ones. Do the trick for commuting and had no problems with them up to this.

I sorta understand why - they are very high at the front, chest high and without a zip going for a wee would be a mare. Girl style mare.

My good Assos ones also have a zip but the difference being the assos ones are designed for use with shorts underneath thereby protecting vital equipnent while the Decathlon ones have a chamois in them.

Missed swim this morning. First proper excuse in years for missing a session. New update to my Android alarm app. Gentle Alarm - normally a great app but the update was buggy and alarm didn't go off.

Swam last night though. Grand set but was rather irritating as a <Local tri club with same name as my county council> member got in. Obviously in that club pool etiquette is not taught. Despite me passing him every 150m he'd still push off the wall *just* as I was coming into turn.

Main set included a 400m pull easy and 400m swim steady. The swim steady came in 7:01 10 seconds off my recent TT. The 400m pull easy came in 6:51, same as my recent swim TT. The problem is definitely body position and the effect that it has on being able to leverage at the front.
    Obviously the solution to this problem is to find a great Masters session that I can smash it in, work super hard and visit this pain cave. This will obviously fix my limiters - which are body position, right hand catch and push and general feel for the water.

Week in review

Not a bad weeks training. Some consistency in running for sure but need to address some swimming and cycling deficiencies.

A solid session yesterday. A different type of session to what I'd normally have ever done. Around 2600 in something clicked and started hitting nice times for little effort. Will work on consolidating this improvement in feel for the water over the week.

The Man with the Tan suggested that perhaps swimming was a cause of my back pain and twisting. I nodded and ignored him.

He is definitely right. Very twisted now after a swim this morning, can feel it in the water too. Tumbles are just out as the twisting messes it up. I think its a combination of pelvis alignment when kicking and how I turn when not tumbling, reach up with right arm, grab pool deck and push off. I was aware of it this morning and could feel it pulling on the offending muscles. only turn with right arm really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Have you got a plan of how to fix the pelvis alignment and turns?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Have you got a plan of how to fix the pelvis alignment and turns?

Whinge and b1tch?

I'm trying to come up with a plan.................

Clarification:

The Man with the Tan is not
    • Mr Tango (aka Darren)
    • Dr Jaundice [aka Hugh]

The Man with the Tan is the guy who fixes me, and many others, up when we break. Without a doubt the only man for running and triathlon related injuries.

Is it lower back pain you are experiencing?

Is it lower back pain you are experiencing?

Its a complicated one..............

I *was* experiencing lower back pain.
    I *was* experiencing pain in the crease of my left hip joint.

Turns out the psoas was way too tight and that was causing the lower back pain.

My QLs were in spasm too and other muscles in area too.

All on one side of the body, this had the effect of twisting my pelvis so that I was always "pointing" to the right.

This meant a number of things: Obviously there is the pain, but also that I was recruiting my TFL to flick my right foot over. This was causing ITB tightness and I knew a full blown flare up was around the corner.

The acute symptoms were addressed but the sensation of being twisted creeps back in. The task is to stop it happening.

The pain does creep back a little too but I know how to clear it mostly myself.

While swimming may be a contributing factor it certainly isn't the only one.

Basically I need to look after myself!

[/ramble]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I had a similar issue a few years back,
    It turns out that after an accident many moons ago my legs were left in bad way, when I dont stretch they contract at different rates and pull my pelvis out of line and this give brutal back problems, I now know when I cant put on socks with pain I have to stretch:rolleyes:

Main set included a 400m pull easy and 400m swim steady. The swim steady came in 7:01 10 seconds off my recent TT. The 400m pull easy came in 6:51, same as my recent swim TT. The problem is definitely body position and the effect that it has on being able to leverage at the front.
    Its a complicated one..............

I *was* experiencing lower back pain.
    I *was* experiencing pain in the crease of my left hip joint.

Turns out the psoas was way too tight and that was causing the lower back pain.

My QLs were in spasm too and other muscles in area too.

All on one side of the body, this had the effect of twisting my pelvis so that I was always "pointing" to the right.

This meant a number of things: Obviously there is the pain, but also that I was recruiting my TFL to flick my right foot over. This was causing ITB tightness and I knew a full blown flare up was around the corner.

The acute symptoms were addressed but the sensation of being twisted creeps back in. The task is to stop it happening.

The pain does creep back a little too but I know how to clear it mostly myself.

While swimming may be a contributing factor it certainly isn't the only one.

Basically I need to look after myself!

[/ramble]

Okay, so we'll ignore the fact that I have not kept up on body part abbreviations which has put me at a bit of a disadvantage reading this post. BUT, I guess it sounds like you sort of have a handle on things, maybe (can't really tell if you have only recognized the symptoms and not the problem...)....so my initial theory before you posted your explanation may be total bunk, however here are a few thoughts that may or may not pertain to your situation.

Lower back pain associated with swimming can come from hyper-extending/arching the back. The reason this theory popped into my head for you was because of your post last week about your swim time vs. your pull time, which indicated poor body position/leg drag when not using the pull buoy. Without seeing you swim, I would guess that your hips are too low in the water when you swim...which can result in both the leg drag and the hyper-extended back. I'd also be interested in knowing your head position in the water - is it too high? are you looking down or forward? Any way...just a few of the thoughts I had. :)

Okay, so we'll ignore the fact that I have not kept up on body part abbreviations which has put me at a bit of a disadvantage reading this post. BUT, I guess it sounds like you sort of have a handle on things, maybe (can't really tell if you have only recognized the symptoms and not the problem...)....so my initial theory before you posted your explanation may be total bunk, however here are a few thoughts that may or may not pertain to your situation.

Lower back pain associated with swimming can come from hyper-extending/arching the back. The reason this theory popped into my head for you was because of your post last week about your swim time vs. your pull time, which indicated poor body position/leg drag when not using the pull buoy. Without seeing you swim, I would guess that your hips are too low in the water when you swim...which can result in both the leg drag and the hyper-extended back. I'd also be interested in knowing your head position in the water - is it too high? are you looking down or forward? Any way...just a few of the thoughts I had. :)

Appreciate the comments. I got onto Mr Tango to ask about what my swimming looks like.

In a nutshell:
    Me: Wondering could swimming be affecting my back?
    Tango: How long back sore?
    Me: Few months
    Tango: How many times you swam during that time?
    Me: Up until recently once a month.
    Tango: There ya go

Interesting theory but given when it was its worst I doubt now its actually swimming.

Back to figuring out what is causing it..........

Other thoughts were:
    * way I am sleeping
    * heavier kids being thrown around
    * never really liked my new bag
    * being fat

Obviously you still have a problem if your pull time is faster than your swim time. I'd still consider evaluating your hip position. Better yet, have someone qualified look at it for you. ;) Best to you. Hope you get it all sorted.

• Advertisement

Obviously you still have a problem if your pull time is faster than your swim time. I'd still consider evaluating your hip position. Better yet, have someone qualified look at it for you. ;) Best to you. Hope you get it all sorted.

Fully aware of that. My body position is not correct - this I know and am working on. Appreciate the comments.

However my immediate concern is the twisting as that is affecting my running, swimming and life in general!!!

went for a run a lunch, put garmin on desk and went to meeting. mid way through a team leader comes in, fvcks the watch and me which is beeping like fuvck and says "you're disturbing the office"

The garmin had deleted its firmware and was beeping about "software missing" like a retarded peacock

As an aside - a cold but easy run (HR easy, RPE easy, singing "going to check your bum, check your bum, find out how much your farted" to myself (people with kids 3-6 will get this one)) 4:43 per km. Couldn't have been easier (feeding into another discussion)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

You still running in Irishtown/Sandymount, or did I read somewhere you've switched office locations?

Izoard wrote: »
    You still running in Irishtown/Sandymount, or did I read somewhere you've switched office locations?

Otherside of the bay! Could wave at you at lunch!

More likely to meet Bambatta than Tango at lunch now!

went for a run a lunch, put garmin on desk and went to meeting. mid way through a team leader comes in, fvcks the watch and me which is beeping like fuvck and says "you're disturbing the office"

The garmin had deleted its firmware and was beeping about "software missing" like a retarded peacock

As an aside - a cold but easy run (HR easy, RPE easy, singing "going to check your bum, check your bum, find out how much your farted" to myself (people with kids 3-6 will get this one)) 4:43 per km. Couldn't have been easier (feeding into another discussion)

Also my willy is FREEZING. So so cold and wet

Also my willy is FREEZING. So so cold and wet

You're that bit further way from the equator in your new habitiat - it is sweltering on the southside of the bay!:)

Izoard wrote: »
    You're that bit further way from the equator in your new habitiat - it is sweltering on the southside of the bay!:)

I thought it was because southsiders have no willies, just that they are c0cks?

Manginas, mostly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What do you call a southsider living in Galway?

Anything you want... he can't slap you from here. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thursday 7th February

Never going to be a big days training. Got out at lunch for a nice run in the rain and wind. Picked up a new running jacket from AKW so it was actually fine. Pleasant even.

45 minutes @ 4:47 km. Nice and easy. Legs complaining a little as a result of increased running but decreased maintenance work. Must ring The Man With the Tan for a rub down for the week after next.

Advertisement