Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

tunney wrote: »
    Main set included a 400m pull easy and 400m swim steady. The swim steady came in 7:01 10 seconds off my recent TT. The 400m pull easy came in 6:51, same as my recent swim TT. The problem is definitely body position and the effect that it has on being able to leverage at the front.

What's the "expected" speed of fc relative to using a pull buoy when you're swimming OK? can you say you'd expect to be x% slower/faster with the pb, or is that the wrong way to look at it? I've only used one a couple of times and planning to make a bit more use of it to see what it shows up..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

kingQuez wrote: »
    What's the "expected" speed of fc relative to using a pull buoy when you're swimming OK? can you say you'd expect to be x% slower/faster with the pb, or is that the wrong way to look at it? I've only used one a couple of times and planning to make a bit more use of it to see what it shows up..

For a swimmer (by that I mean a childhood competitive swimmer (Mr Tango or The Kerrywoman) pull should be slower than swim. No improvement in body position, losing kick and additional drag from the buoy in the water.

For a triathlete (by that I mean the likes of me) pull will be faster than swim. Improvement in body position reducing drag massively. For me when I was swimming alot it was 3-4 seconds a 100. Now its closer to 10, for some I know its closer to 20 a hundred.

If you pull is way faster than your swim you need to address your body position. This is obviously done by smashing yourself in masters sessions.

There was a while when I thought I was turning into a real swimmer and my pull was slower than my swim. I was delighted until I realised it was because I was crossing the centre lane after the catch and that was causing me to snake when pulling with a buoy and increasing my drag in the water. This wasn't happening when swimming as while the crossing the centre line was still happening the kick was preventing the snaking.

Another cause to remember when using a buoy is don't kick. You would be surprised at the number of people who kick when using a buoy and aren't aware of it.

Sunday night my left foot was a little sore, thought nothing of it.
    Monday it was alot sore, thought something of it but ran anyways. I did however make an appointment with The Man with The Tan for Thursday.
    No sleep Monday night from the pain.
    Tuesday it was agony, and for some reason my back and neck were in ribbons. I tried to get into with TMWTT but he had nothing, if he got a cancellation he'd get me in. I struggled into work for 1130 and then left when the meetings I had to do were done, around 1600. Dropped in and collected by the wife and kids. Home slept and suffered.
    TMWTT got me in at 0930 on Wednesday. Alot of the major muscles in my back in complete spasms. Much pain later it was onto the foot. I had narrowed it down to a stress fracture or peroneal tendon problems. It was the PT. My tibialis posterior was in complete spasm and that was angling my foot and straining the PT. Pain releasing it.

Still alot of pain from the ankle but I can now walk without pain.

On a plus note I had thought I knew how to foam roll. Turns out I didn't, now I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ouchie! Not so good. Few days off running then i presume? Whats the healing time on it?

What changed on the rolling front?

Bambaata wrote: »
    Ouchie! Not so good. Few days off running then i presume? Whats the healing time on it?

What changed on the rolling front?

Healing time is okay, should get out today for 30 minute run. Issue is it has changed my landing pattern which makes me more susceptible in the short term to ITBS and long term (unless fully address) stress fractures.

Rolling - I only rolled in a fashion that lengthen fibers. Learnt cross friction rolling and how to switch off. Pain but good pain.

• Advertisement

Im going to look into that rolling as id guess i am doing the same as what you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Please explain the rolling. Keen to se if i am wrong or right. Have the roller in my bike bag - in the airport heading for a week in lanza and i think i might need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Please explain the rolling. Keen to se if i am wrong or right. Have the roller in my bike bag - in the airport heading for a week in lanza and i think i might need it!

Oh there is no might about it....you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

good idea to bring the roller on a training camp!! fits nicely into my bike bag also and provide a bit of extra padding for the bike (hybrid bike bag - stell frame on the bottom that you slot the bike into and a soft padded cover).

Week starting 18th February 2013

Monday 18th

Plan for today was to get up nice and early, swim. Go to work and run at lunch.
    What happened was "Rascal Pants McGoolicans" decided to roar crying until 0430. He has been going through a "Daddy Rocks" phase which meant I was trying to settle him. A terrible time for this as the Monday in work was a key one and a potentially long one.

Instead of being in work at 0830 I didn't get in until 0915 and then proceeded to (a)feel wrecked (b)have the cognetive abilities of an Arts graduate (c)feel like puking. I forced myself to run for 30 minutes at lunch, my first run in a week due to a foot injury (still not cleared). The combination of time not running and tiredness meant I felt like a sit down at 3km. I didn't, sad that that is an achievement. HR 168-172bpm for the last 3km and I thought a heart attack was on the cards.

If he acts up tonight I'm sensing another incident with a suspected intruder and four shots through a bathroom door.

Got into the pool on way home. Was late leaving work (8pm) so was always going to be a rush. Was aiming for a 3km set, did 1.5km. Combination of being a biatch and my levator scapulae still being sore. I suspectec when I left the Man With The Tan last week that I would need a repeat visit. He didn't quite say "See you next week but not far off".

Tuesday 19th

People slept last night great!

Woke and was going to go for a quick splash before work. A busy day with the efforts of a few months culminating in the final part of a pitch. Checked work email - problems with build server. Started work at 0715 or so. Into the office for around ten and then got to leave my desk at 1800. No lunch so no lunch run either. Home and fecked. All I wanted was a bottle of wine and a sit down. Did a turbo instead. Progression BG work. Felt nice.

Wednesday 20th

Nearly slept again last night. Well Aoibhe woke a few times, jam dodi back in mouth or give her back her dolly, but nothing serious. Glenda is the heavy sleeper of the house so if there is a noise in or around the house it wakes me. If a 747 lands in the bedroom will wake her. Anyways was convinced someone was robbing the shed, so while Eoin slept I didn't. Wrecked this morning and still debated a swim, TMWTT had said swimming with levator scapulae issues wasn't too bad, just painful unless I pushed it. Was not in the mood for battling old grannies while in pain. Got up with the kids instead and played "Robot Daddy".

1230 Run : missed
    1300 Rescheduled run : missed
    1330 Rescheduled run : missed
    1400 Rescheduled run : missed

Annoying thing is it was missed as a result of no external forces. I *could* have walked away but didn't.

Decided to run home from work. I wanted to swim in the evening but I suspected that this would not happen as I am trying to take over the "putting the Rascal to bed" as it is really stressing Glenda. So said I'd run home. Then got stuck into some work and I wasn't going to get to go home. "Another late night" I thought. Then I realised that what I was doing could wait until morning said "Fvck it" and ran home.

Thursday 21st

Need to get back into the habit of swimming. I've come up with a solution to my levator scapulae issues - self release, found some techniques so happy days. The only other issues are (a) hating that god awful Northwood pool and (b) habit. I'll just have to suck up (b) and get used to kicking the vrap out of ignorant grannies for (a).

Ran to work. Found a route that is 1km shorter than my cycling route. Couldn't possibly cycle it though as the roads are too narrow and motorists are stupid.

Lunch........ didn't get out for it. Kept saying, "stop in five minutes..... stop in five minutes". Then its three o'clock.

Neck sore again, like all self-release, levator scapulae self release doesn't *reall* do the job and needs to be done again soon. Better to get someone else involved in releasing things.

Brutal headache again today. Cannot blame the kids, they slept I didn't.

Friday 22nd

Not a good start to the day, "indulged" last night, died this morning. Ran at lunch and felt better for it.

I've worn a roadID for 5 years. Its only been used once but it paid for itself there. Being a chunk of metal it wasn't going to ever break. It survived Aoibhe. Eoin "disappeared" it. I suspect it was flushed. Had to order another one. Ordered just there, will arrive in about 3 weeks. I'll probably find the old one in 2.5 weeks inserted somewhere.

Saturday 23rd

Up to Cavan to the in-laws. Nice running route around a forest and canal. Favourite running route! Happy days

Sunday 24th

Plan was to ride home. 150km. Gear laid out, bike ready to go, lights charged and ready. Just about to say goodbye to everyone and ride home at 3pm, would be home for 9pm at the latest. Sister in law arrived in and announced her engagement. Swift email to an understanding manager got Monday off work and a phone call to a very obliging mother (who drove to Cavan to look after the kids) meant myself and Glenda could take part in the celebrations. No cycle though.

Goals for next week:
    No snooze button. Cycle lots.

• Advertisement

Ha that was one hell of a week! Glad to see you got something done, the more i read the more i thought that the training was going to be completely knocked on the head but you still managed some bit of work!

Hi lads,

You've probably expected this but... I'm not going to do Austria this year.

Its been in the back of my mind for the last few weeks and the things stopping me were:
    (a) disappointing you two
    (b) cancelling the hotel
    (c) the fear that if I didn't do it I would never get back into it.

(a) and (b) while regrettable I knew I could deal with. (c) was a real worry - I want to go back to having the discipline and dedication of 2008/2009, albeit tempered by a desire to spend time with kids. I was really afraid that if I didn't do (c) I would end up a fat alco in poor health and a bad role model for the kids. I was really worried as well and was getting more worried as I felt that 2013 was my last chance.

I didn't sleep last night thinking about it and I came to a realisation - a poor race in Austria in 2013 would be worse than no race for my confidence and for me remaining in sport - at any level. Truely think a half hearted, and at this stage it would be, Austria would be devastating to me. Coupled with when I worked our the costs of going - over three grand..... Thats alot of money - a third of a new car!!!!

So I understand that you are both probably annoyed and frustrated with me but I think if you take a minute or two to think about this that its the right decision at this point in time.

regards,
    David

Hotel cancelled. Its the right decision now but I feel like crying.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hotel cancelled. Its the right decision now but I feel like crying.
    Just keep knowing its the right decision then, don't second guess yourself, it's done.

I feel for you, but wee kids in the house and all that, it isn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Not nice Dave. Worry that keeps you awake at nice is awful. It poisons the mind IMO. The first step is to do what you have done, get it off your chest and out in the open. Talk about it.

You may feel pretty down now but, later you will feel relieved and a weight will have been lifted.

I think you should just take plenty of time out and then when you feel ready....go back to the start. What was your first ever race ? Some local 5k or something? Go and find it and do it again or another similar small event, one that is family friendly, easy going, enjoyable. Find out why you got into this in the first place, why you fell in love with running/biking/swimming. Even if you are unfit as fvck just rock up and do it. Finishing way down the field may motivate you.

Bottom line, right decision and I hope you feel better about it soon.

Week starting 25th February

Monday 25th

Plans for the week changed completely. Instead of waking up nice and early in a quiet empty house sin Dublin with the kids in Cavan with Glenda and going for a prep work cycle. I wake up with a thumping headache, shouting kids, a dancing Elmo toy and vague recollections of Chicken Balls and curry sauce. Still lots of excitment here with the engagement. Talk of breakfast rolls although no one capable of driving to shops.

In the end I was dispatched to buy the guts (literally and figuratively) of three pigs.

Arrived back in Dublin for a sleepless night. Realised that Austria 2013 just wasn't going to happen.

Tuesday 26th

Woke up, weighed myself, 12st 8. Finally accepted Austria wasn't going to happen. Went downstairs told the wife. "Good call, go back to the little races, duathlons, running races, cross country, enjoy things". Discussed how in 2009 what levels I went to to make the start line in Austria, compared to this year. Until I have that sort of passion back.....

Ran to work then told friends about Austria, cancelled hotel. Feel massively relieved. Now time to draw a line under this adventure. Suppose that means a new blog.............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good call I think. As said above if a hobby is starting to cause you stress then something's wrong and it's time to reassess priorities. I've been doing that since Christmas when I fell ill and even more so over the last week or so :(.

I wrote this in my log a few weeks ago, might be something to think about:
    It's taken a few weeks to come to terms with the fact that it's ok not to be doing an IM this year; that an 8km run at lunch time at a gentle pace along the strand is perfectly acceptable and I don't need to be squeezing 10km+ hilly runs into my lunch break; and that not every swim session has to be a couple of thousand meters.......and if I don't get a run or a swim in today then so what

Can't wait to see the title of the new log :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Good call, if ur not enjoying it then there is not point in beating your self up, and the kids are only small once.

BennyMul wrote: »
    Good call, if ur not enjoying it then there is not point in beating your self up, and the kids are only small once.

When Aoibhe was born Eamonn Horgan of LTC rang me. Best advice ever "They are young once, there will always be races"

I need something though, I need some goal. Some fun but achievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The decisions we make are always the right decisions at the time. There is no point lookin gback in a couple of months and saying "I should have..."

Tough call, Dave, but the right call.

Now, lets get you out racing in the West :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Retail therapy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Forget about goals/times and just enjoy pressure free fun, race when you want to and for the craic. Swim when you want, cycle when you want and run when you want. 100% right call on binning Austria, no point doing something which is not enjoyable and you are stressing out over it.

Enjoy planning a different family holiday, one that does not involve you plodding around an IM course!!

austria2013Small.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

austria2013Small.png

Do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

As the lads have said, right call Dave. Swim, bike and run when you feel like it. A wise man once passed along the same advice that Eammon Horgan gave you so based on that I think your goals should be to enjoy family life and sort out your niggles/injuries before picking some races

A lad (ex Belpark, in Phoenix with me, part Wicklow as well these days) said to me before Aoibhe was born.

"You never know Dave when the kids arrive you might not want to train, you might want to stay with them"

I laughed.

This morning up early. Aoibhe had no intention of shifting from her bed, pulled duvet over her head when I went in to see did she want to get up (gave her a few more minutes as playschool wasn't until 9am). Then downstairs to tidy up stuff lashed from the car after Cavan. My bike had to go into storage (not that it was used). Himself happy out in his chair until he saw me wheel the bike out the back. Hysterical. Dumped it, back in, cuddles and played and he was fine.

(That being said when 30 minutes later I said "I'm off to work" he just waved and smiled. Monday to Friday Aoibhe and Eoin smile and wave when I go to work but if I break the routine, or if its obvious its not work I am going to, then its a different story)

Lambo doesn't have kids but it was one of the more astute observations.

That being said I *could* have found ways to train. Kids are not the reason for my slide into tubbyville and lazyland. Its all me, I could have trained and been there too. I just wasn't willing to be up at 0430.

One of my best friends lives in Oz, he has a young lad, he trains like a demon. He is up at 0400 and in bed for 1000 - there is always a way, you just need to want it enough. I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

How about some messing?

griffin100 wrote: »
    How about some messing?

Adventure racing?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Adventure racing?
    No, messing. The kind with road bikes and no navigational skills.

Or you could do an actual AR?

Advertisement