Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Meh, since you've started lunchtime running on the northside, the whole thing has gone belly up.

Get your ar$e back across the river and all will be well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

tunney wrote: »
    One of my best friends lives in Oz, he has a young lad, he trains like a demon. He is up at 0400 and in bed for 1000 - there is always a way, you just need to want it enough. I didn't.

fvck that - If I lived in Oz i'd be out of the scratcher myself before 5am. There is little joy getting up before 6am in this country no matter what time of the year it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    No, messing. The kind with road bikes and no navigational skills.

Or you could do an actual AR?

A WAR style race? Firstly I'm banned from most of these races. Think of me as Harry Potter........ Or Ron the fat kid either one will do.
    Secondly - zero interest, I don't view them as proper races.

An actual AR. Dunno, I'd probably get lost and die!
    Izoard wrote: »
    Meh, since you've started lunchtime running on the northside, the whole thing has gone belly up.

Get your ar$e back across the river and all will be well again.

Not allowed, southside citizenship was revoked.
    ray o wrote: »
    fvck that - If I lived in Oz i'd be out of the scratcher myself before 5am. There is little joy getting up before 6am in this country no matter what time of the year it is.

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

How about a 3 day stage race with a TT stage like Gorey...alway intrigued me anyway :)

How about a 3 day stage race with a TT stage like Gorey...alway intrigued me anyway :)

3 days away from kids.
    Plus no miles in the legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

3 days away from kids.
    Plus no miles in the legs

Gorey is quite close so next year and bring the family down or some other stage race (if you like the idea of it) later this summer, again with the family if it is feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Time to bring this thread back to normality.....enter a hot dog eating contest, you will do well.

Time to bring this thread back to normality.....enter a hot dog eating contest, you will do well.

Good luck getting your bike in your bike box.

Oh and I want my change back.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck getting your bike in your bike box.

Oh and I want my change back.
    Good on ya. A bit of b1tchslapping will keep your fitness up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Any one else keeping a close eye on this thread waiting for the fire sale?? :D

Tunney, I have this year and next before herself starts popping out the little gingers, and once that happens I know I'll be easing back on the training as well. Some things are more important than a couple of races. Do whatever makes you happy, and we all know thats going to be complaining and moaning on here. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    Any one else keeping a close eye on this thread waiting for the fire sale?? :D

Tunney, I have this year and next before herself starts popping out the little gingers, and once that happens I know I'll be easing back on the training as well. Some things are more important than a couple of races. Do whatever makes you happy, and we all know thats going to be complaining and moaning on here. :rolleyes:

When in the consultant gynecologists a few years back when Glenda was pregnant he proceeded to tell us of a series of tests that could be performed in utero to detect abnormalities. After he had finished his bit he asked "Any questions on that?" With a dead serious face I asked "Can you test for red hair?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Adventure racing?

Yeah that's what I meant but if it doesn't float your boat.......MCOS seems to like it though. I thought I might give one a go this year but one that is not on the naughty list :D

With my limited training my loose plan is to start at 5km and work through 10km and up to half marathon if possible this year with new PB's. Keeps me interested to some degree anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Gorey is quite close so next year and bring the family down or some other stage race (if you like the idea of it) later this summer, again with the family if it is feasible.
    Gorey is a great race rode it many times and loved it, a tad dangerous especically on the Saturday but would recomend it to anyone.

BennyMul wrote: »
    Gorey is a great race rode it many times and loved it, a tad dangerous especically on the Saturday and would recomend it to anyone.
    What race is that?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I meant but if it doesn't float your boat.......MCOS seems to like it though. I thought I might give one a go this year but one that is not on the naughty list :D

With my limited training my loose plan is to start at 5km and work through 10km and up to half marathon if possible this year with new PB's. Keeps me interested to some degree anyway.

I don't know what I'll do. :)

I am massively relieved, massively depressed, bitterly disappointed with an unhealthy dose of self-loathing thrown in. Once that settles down then I'll think about it.

Might try this - I already have access to the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Oryx wrote: »
    What race is that?
    The gorey 3day is a bike race from Tallagh to Gorey, on the Saturday
    2 stages in Gorey on the Sunday and then the Bank holiday Monday back up, I think it finishes outside Blessington now.

Is a really good race but as its earlish in the year there is a lot of nervous folk in the bunch and as most have never ridden in a bunch over 100 (race is usually capped @ 180ish - not sure if this is still the case) and this leads to crashes.
    But a great weekend in a saddle, once you stay there :D

sorry to use your thread Tunney

BennyMul wrote: »
    The gorey 3day is a bike race from Tallagh to Gorey, on the Saturday
    2 stages in Gorey on the Sunday and then the Bank holiday Monday back up, I think it finishes outside Blessington now.

Is a really good race but as its earlish in the year there is a lot of nervous folk in the bunch and as most have never ridden in a bunch over 100 (race is usually capped @ 180ish - not sure if this is still the case) and this leads to crashes.
    But a great weekend in a saddle, once you stay there :D

sorry to use your thread Tunney

No worries I'm not really using it :)

Week starting 25th February

Monday 25th

Plans for the week changed completely. Instead of waking up nice and early in a quiet empty house sin Dublin with the kids in Cavan with Glenda and going for a prep work cycle. I wake up with a thumping headache, shouting kids, a dancing Elmo toy and vague recollections of Chicken Balls and curry sauce. Still lots of excitment here with the engagement. Talk of breakfast rolls although no one capable of driving to shops.

In the end I was dispatched to buy the guts (literally and figuratively) of three pigs.

Arrived back in Dublin for a sleepless night. Realised that Austria 2013 just wasn't going to happen.

Tuesday 26th

Woke up, weighed myself, 12st 8. Finally accepted Austria wasn't going to happen. Went downstairs told the wife. "Good call, go back to the little races, duathlons, running races, cross country, enjoy things".

Ran to work then told friends about Austria, cancelled hotel. Feel massively relieved. I am massively relieved, massively depressed, bitterly disappointed with an unhealthy dose of self-loathing thrown in.
    Breaching 80kg is not good either.

At lunch debated going for a run and then thought feck it.

Run home, had a few glasses of wine, takeaway pizza and talked to the wife about how I was feeling and what not.

Think its time to kill this blog off. Adios.

arrivederci bello*

*I prefer to say goodbye in italian than spanish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It's been s'hitty hearing you struggle with yourself for about 2 years now - i'd say finally accepting you're in a different place now and forgetting former glories is a massive weight off your shoulders and a huge relief.

I've been like this for the last year, mainly as i was sick of getting injured. I just train infrequently when I can and want to and don't beat myself up over things.

Just get the diet in check - 5/6 healthy days a week and the weight and self loathing will disappear.

You're a different person now, forget what you use to do and just enjoy getting out when you can. Stop beating yourself up mentally and regretting missing sessions etc. Be thankful of the ones you do actually do. Change of mindset.

Best of luck Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Aw crap! Just when you were starting to grow on me you decide to close this log. ;)

Seriously....enjoy life. Enjoy your kids. Enjoy your friends and family. I am not sure what age your kids are, but get involved with their activities - maybe even consider being a coach for their athletics that I assume they will get involved in. If you need a break from training/running/cycling/swimming, then take a break. Hell, most of us over the age of 25 have taken extended breaks from time to time and have come back stronger and with more desire than ever. I think what we're all trying to tell you is....you have our permission to back off...it's okay....it's healthy. What is not healthy is forcing yourself to do things you somehow feel obligated to do that ultimately disappoint you. Make yourself happy in whatever it is you choose to do....and keep in mind that you don't have to race to run, swim and/or cycle. You are allowed to do those things for fun and for no other reason. And they might even be a hoot to write about. ;):)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Aw crap! Just when you were starting to grow on me you decide to close this log. ;)

Ah shucks.........
    Seriously....enjoy life. Enjoy your kids. Enjoy your friends and family. I am not sure what age your kids are, but get involved with their activities - maybe even consider being a coach for their athletics that I assume they will get involved in.

Aoibhe 37 months and Eoin 16 months. No athletics yet, but hurling/camogie coaching and athletics involvement definitely in the future (live 700m from Clonliffe Harriers). Activities today revolve around art and crafts (Aoibhe), destruction, mayhem and chaos (Eoin)

If you need a break from training/running/cycling/swimming, then take a break. Hell, most of us over the age of 25 have taken extended breaks from time to time and have come back stronger and with more desire than ever.

Yip need to get it back. The gra is gone.
    I think what we're all trying to tell you is....you have our permission to back off...it's okay....it's healthy. What is not healthy is forcing yourself to do things you somehow feel obligated to do that ultimately disappoint you. Make yourself happy in whatever it is you choose to do....and keep in mind that you don't have to race to run, swim and/or cycle. You are allowed to do those things for fun and for no other reason. And they might even be a hoot to write about. ;):)

Never know could be a "Running while fat, hungover and proud" training log some day in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

When Aoibhe was born Eamonn Horgan of LTC rang me. Best advice ever "They are young once, there will always be races"

I'm starting to see that myself and even with a heavy schedule i find myself getting up after 4 hrs sleep on a Sunday morning just to spend time with my two nutjobs !

Whatever you try to do make sure it makes you smile ( most of the time )

What I have learn in the last 24 months.

* You don't have to do something because you have always done it
    * A stitch in time could save nine - sometimes a year out could save three wasted
    * Glenda is usually right
    * You are never the same person, who you were is not who you are now and you will never be that person again
    * Kids rock
    * You can bluff around an IM but its not fun (unless you nail the run)
    * There is a time to HTFU and a time to quit
    * Some people mean what they say and say what they mean
    * Some people talk sh1t
    * Garmin's suck
    * SRMs rock
    * Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels (yes I robbed this from a friend who is a female pro triathlete who lives in the States and had a very famous eating disorder, its still right though)
    * Fran's wife is tall
    * Do as I say not as I do :)
    * People may be want to want to do the work but less are willing to do the work
    * Ironman rocks

Things I have learned from tunney in the last 24 months

* His bark is worse than his bite
    * Don't talk about it, do it.
    * If you can't do it, try again
    * If you still can't do it, consult your wife and do what she says, instead.
    * Appreciate my kids. Races come and go, kids grow up, fast.
    * Sometimes, someone will tell it like it is, even if its hard to hear.
    * If in doubt, HTFU.
    * Ironman rocks

My jury is still out on the whole Garmin thing.

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Stealing this!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Be careful - thats Kate Moss's trademark line

catweazle wrote: »

Hmmm....scary fat chick you posted on my log today or Kate Moss....scary fat chick you posted on my log today or Kate Moss?? Which would you rather be paced by at DCM?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Easy to say until you've tasted my chilli:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

catweazle wrote: »

Yes this was originally spouted by anaeroxic supermodels. Still can't understand why you don't concentrate on one discipline and try to maximise your bang for your buck, i.e run. It's not time consuming in the grand scheme of things and it's something you seem to think is your strongest event. I've 2 kids similar age to yourself and with careful planning running takes away absolutely nothing from my family life. Why don't you aim to run a respectable half and full marathon this year?

Advertisement