Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    Izoard wrote: »
    Well, looking at his approach, it is a little more sophisticated...

Point is, Austria and Roth are the fastest courses around, but randomly chosen by punters for the "fun" element:)

Frankfurt is fast, IMHO faster than Roth. Not sold out this year. First year in ages, if ever. Why? Could it have something to do with two years in a row of freezing cold and pi$$ing rain.

Its all about the fun
    Or finally people have said f off to the 520 entry fee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Slipped off the "training" wagon yesterday.

Whole house exhausted, got home, wrecked. 1:15 turbo to do. Was told that I now had two passes in a rolling six week period that could be used in "exceptional circumstances" and that the last week constituted one. So I said I'd have a glass of wine and relax (mid week wine is meant to be out). In the end one turned into three and I stayed up late watching the excellent programme on Ben Johnson. Combined with sleeping with a bag of cats when she heard me going to bed (can't do tough love on her as then she'd cry and its just so hard to get himself to sleep when he is sick that we let her away with it) meant that I slept in this morning. I had no pass for this morning's missed swim. uh oh.

Completely unrelated to triathlon..........

I have very long eye lashes, so long that I am restricted as to what sun glasses I can wear. My Mam always told me I was like a camel.

The kids are the same and yesterday as Aoibhe was playing in her sand pit my Mam told Aoibhe "You are like a camel with your long eyelashes". "Why Nana Ei?" "Camels have long eye lashes to keep the sand out of their eyes and you have long eye lashes like a camel". Aoibhe thought about this and smiled, then she picked up a handful of sand and threw it in her eyes - safe in the knowledge her camel-like eye lashes would stop it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Slipped off the "training" wagon yesterday.

Whole house exhausted, got home, wrecked. 1:15 turbo to do. Was told that I now had two passes in a rolling six week period that could be used in "exceptional circumstances" and that the last week constituted one. So I said I'd have a glass of wine and relax (mid week wine is meant to be out). In the end one turned into three and I stayed up late watching the excellent programme on Ben Johnson. Combined with sleeping with a bag of cats when she heard me going to bed (can't do tough love on her as then she'd cry and its just so hard to get himself to sleep when he is sick that we let her away with it) meant that I slept in this morning. I had no pass for this morning's missed swim. uh oh.
    Keep this up and we are going to start kicking your arse as well as your missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think your Mam might be on to something re the camel eye lash thing. Sure you have an abnormally massive shaped head like a camel. I heard you have to order custom sized bike helmets as nothing else fits*:)

*may not be true

Will need to get onto Glenda, she is being too soft on you giving you passes this early on.

• Advertisement

I'll be back on the wagan asap, as in today.

I got a 910XT, it fogged up in intense sunlight. I got onto wiggle, I was told "garmin said this is normal". I told them it wasn't, we argued. I left it. It fogged up something fierce in Roth. I just lashed it in the post back to them with a stinker of a letter. New one dispatched this morning. I think about 30% of Garmins are affected like this - fingers crossed my next one is one of the 70%, and isn't a complete brick like some Garmins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Mine has fogged twice to date, once in Pikeman triathlon and last Wednesday. Im keeping note of the fogging as ive an open ticket in relation to other things.

Hows the elevation data on your 910! I wasnt sure how mine was but what surprised me was when i went to smooth the elevation in GC is actually increased which i fund hard to believe. It said i did 545m gain in the Phoenix Park over 75mins!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Mine has fogged twice to date, once in Pikeman triathlon and last Wednesday. Im keeping note of the fogging as ive an open ticket in relation to other things.

Hows the elevation data on your 910! I wasnt sure how mine was but what surprised me was when i went to smooth the elevation in GC is actually increased which i fund hard to believe. It said i did 545m gain in the Phoenix Park over 75mins!

Elevation not worth a sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Bambaata wrote: »

For my 75min in the Park, 218m but I don't pay any attention to it. BTW yesterday my 910xt fogged a little before my swim but cleared pretty quick. Going to leave it out in the sun now...just to see!

Anyway, best of luck Tunney for 2013, great to have the support, very important and look forward to seeing you hit top form once again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Good to see the resolve to get back to the pointy end of racing tunney, any upcoming races to see where you're at running or triathlon?

Good to see the resolve to get back to the pointy end of racing tunney, any upcoming races to see where you're at running or triathlon?

I'd like to do a tri but its going to be awkward to find one I can do.

Holidays for two weeks in August.

Away with herself in September for a week
    Away with the family for a weekend in September
    Wedding anniversary in September

Trying to find a tri but given that the next 344 days will entail I am not going to push it.

Running wise - I might drop into a race or two depending on how things are going.

Date|Weight
    16th July 2012|12st
    23rd July 2012|12st 2.4

Not *quite* what was meant to happen. Ate ALOT of crap over the weekend and did nothing so that could be the cause.

Weekly numbers:

Swim time: 1:52
    Swim dist: 5km
    Bike time: 1:07
    Bike dist: 35km
    Run time: 2:37
    Run dist: 33km
    Total time: 5:35

Two weeks after Roth its acceptable. Plus I am now at least 7 months ahead of post Frankfurt as my road bike has been reassembled and prepped and my TT bike was removed from the bike box, prepped and stored, as opposed to left in the bike box until the week before TryAthy.

I love running. Some of the times. I've got a good ideal when I step on the scales in the morning if today is going to be a day that I love running.

Between 11st 7 and 11st 10 I love running. I cannot think of a more pleasurable activity to do with your clothes on.

Between 11st 10 and 12st I enjoy enjoy buts a struggle and I feel sore afterwards.

When I'm under 11st 7 I almost feel like I am floating when I run. Under 11st and I could run all day.

This morning I weight in at a mammoth 12st 2.4 - so I knew that todays run would be hell. And it was. 30 minutes of sweating sore painful hell. Fighting each step. I MUST PUT DOWN THE PIES.

* Obviously its not all about weight as there would be a strong correlation between weight and activity level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Mammoth ? You make me sick...

Its been three years but finally someone left me :(

Mammoth ? You make me sick...

Yes 12st3 is mammoth for me. A few years ago it wasn't, it was slight but at 5 foot 10 and have a runners build I could safely go to 9st 13.9lbs if I was a pure runner. (Note I said safely not easily)

That being said I need to seize the mojo thats there and use it to build more mojo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What were you eating when you were at your lightest? Were you still eating crap just doing enough training to work it off? Think most on this forum are guilty for overindulging in crap food just be interestign to compare the diets, training and performances of the light and skinny people with those carrying a few extra pounds.

What were you eating when you were at your lightest? Were you still eating crap just doing enough training to work it off? Think most on this forum are guilty for overindulging in crap food just be interestign to compare the diets, training and performances of the light and skinny people with those carrying a few extra pounds.

No crap, no alcohol. I hit every meal hungry and then controlled portion size. If I was a bird I would have been accused of having an eating disorder. Being a bloke I was "just taking my sport seriously". Truth was somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

No crap, no alcohol. I hit every meal hungry and then controlled portion size.

It really can be that simple. Pity it requires so much determination. If only we had to hunt for our grub.

• Advertisement

I have a few weird hangups when it comes to what I wear training.

Swimming - I will only let myself wear drag shorts when I can hit 1:35 for 15 100s without being fvcked, then I live in them. Not that weird I suppose

Cycling - I have two sleeveless jerseys that I love - one the one I got in Austria in 2009, one from my old coach TriMonkey. I love them but I refuse to wear them until my intervals are over 300watts.

Running - I always run in a hat, usually a baseball cap. For some reason I like running with a cap backwards. However unless I am running at < 4:19 per km easy then I don't do it.

I've not worn drag shorts, a sleeveless top or my cap backwards in over two years. This must change.

(I also have a wardrobe of lovely normal clothes that I do not fit in)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Will this thread give us an insight in to the type of training sessions and frequency of training that you will be doing to go sub 9:30?

Out of curiosity, how much training will be done on the TT bike or do you think 8-12 weeks out from the event is time enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Swimming - I will only let myself wear drag shorts when I can hit 1:35 for 15 100s without being fvcked, then I live in them. Not that weird I suppose

Cycling - I have two sleeveless jerseys that I love - one the one I got in Austria in 2009, one from my old coach TriMonkey. I love them but I refuse to wear them until my intervals are over 300watts.

Running - I always run in a hat, usually a baseball cap. For some reason I like running with a cap backwards. However unless I am running at < 4:19 per km easy then I don't do it.

I've not worn drag shorts, a sleeveless top or my cap backwards in over two years. This must change.

(I also have a wardrobe of lovely normal clothes that I do not fit in)

The trick is to throw away the fat clothes when you get back into the nice stuff, then your belt provides an early warning of any weight gain. Although I found that by the time I got back into my "skinny" clothes this year they were so out of date they were fit for the bin anyway.

hardCopy wrote: »
    The trick is to throw away the fat clothes when you get back into the nice stuff, then your belt provides an early warning of any weight gain. Although I found that by the time I got back into my "skinny" clothes this year they were so out of date they were fit for the bin anyway.

Two kids, not covered in vomit or poo is "in fashion" for me

pgibbo wrote: »
    Will this thread give us an insight in to the type of training sessions and frequency of training that you will be doing to go sub 9:30?

It can do if people want it. Was going to keep it light and fluffy but can combine both if thats whats wanted.
    Out of curiosity, how much training will be done on the TT bike or do you think 8-12 weeks out from the event is time enough?

Will be before then. Also this year I will be emulating my TT position on my turbo bike - with bars and all and using that all year round.

TT bike on the turbo all year round would be my take on it.

Personally I'd love to get an insight in to that type of training.

I have aspirations of sub 10 at some stage so be good to see what's entailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1
    Just remember that what works for one may not work for another. Context.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Is this like when Krusty Clown wore his wife's running shorts in a race? That kind of drag shorts? ;)

• Advertisement

Just remember that what works for one may not work for another. Context.

Goes without saying Mike and good that you called it out. Obviously tunney has a much better base and years of training in the bank but it should still make for interesting reading/learning.

Advertisement