Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Life is not fun in the Tunney household the last fortnight. The little man has a big voice and he chooses to use it at night. The rest of us (Glenda, Aoibhe and myself) are kept awake. He is inconsolable - just do not know what is wrong, everything tried. Then come morning he is happy out and plays and talks and is fine.

The 6 strikes and you're out policy has been suspended for the immediate future.

It could be argued by the level of whinging I am doing about being tired that I am eating into my "passes" this is not the case as at the moment I am in an "unstructured phase".

"HO HO HO Tunney, thats what you've been in for 2 years no"
    "Fvck off JB, you grown in the last 2 years?"

Anyways, that means when/if the body feels like training I train. Typically after a major event when the body if fvcked I go for a three week unstructured phase. Mr. Monkey always recommended similar so its good enough for me.

Anyways the plan for the next few weeks/months:

Date|Phase|Focus
    09 Jul|Unstructured|None
    16 Jul|Unstructured|None
    23 Jul|Unstructured|None
    30 Jul|Prep|Run
    06 Aug|Prep|Run
    13 Aug|Prep|Run
    20 Aug|Build|Cycle
    27 Aug|Build|Cycle
    03 Sep|Build|Cycle
    10 Sep|Build|Cycle
    17 Sep|Recovery|
    24 Sep|Speed|Cycle
    01 Oct|Speed|Cycle
    08 Oct|Speed|Cycle
    15 Oct|Recovery|

For me the bike needs the most intensive work. I used to be able to ride at a decent wattage and I need to get back there. I think my best set in 2010, admittedly only did it the once, was a lovely interval set of 15x20 minutes @ 230-235 watts with 0 minutes recovery. Getting back there will take work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Do you swim everyday or is that left out for a reason? (I can understand family time constraints) Are you happier to address the swimming as you get into the latter part of the year?

Do you swim everyday or is that left out for a reason? (I can understand family time constraints) Are you happier to address the swimming as you get into the latter part of the year?

Sorry - I should have been clearer.

If the focus of a week is Cycling that does not mean I do not run or swim. I'll still run 4-5 times and swim 3 times, maybe 4 if I am lucky. It just means the emphasis is on cycling.

That being said I'm unlikely to have a swim focus. In a bike or run focus I can load up on volume and/or intensity and still execute the sessions with good form.

Swimming - I cannot load on volume nor intensity and not have form suffer.

Looking at this site, one that I read years ago and forgot about, http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank02.html

One for determining racing weight.........

"He fixes the non-active man's average weight for height with a simple formula. He allocates 110lbs (56.2kg) for the first five feet (1.524m) in height and 5 1/2lbs (2.296kg) for every inch (0.025m) thereafter."

So I am five foot ten.
    110 + (5.5 * 10) = 165lbs or 11st 11lbs

So at this stage some people might be saying to themselves "hey i am 5foot 10 too, I've not got that much to loose"

But this is for "normal" people

"Long-distance runners (10 miles onwards): 15 per cent lighter"

165 * 0.85 = 140.25 lbs

So as a pure runner at 5 foot 10 I should be *just* over ten stone. Sorta in keeping with the weight figures that I was thinking off.

One thing that always amazes me is people who are the same height and build as me but convince themselves that their race weight is 13stone, I know a few of them. I might be tubby and overweight but at least I know it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Looking at this site, one that I read years ago and forgot about, http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank02.html

One for determining racing weight.........

"He fixes the non-active man's average weight for height with a simple formula. He allocates 110lbs (56.2kg) for the first five feet (1.524m) in height and 5 1/2lbs (2.296kg) for every inch (0.025m) thereafter."

So I am five foot ten.
    110 + (5.5 * 10) = 165lbs or 11st 11lbs

So at this stage some people might be saying to themselves "hey i am 5foot 10 too, I've not got that much to loose"

But this is for "normal" people

165 * 0.85 = 140.25 lbs

So as a pure runner at 5 foot 10 I should be *just* over ten stone. Sorta in keeping with the weight figures that I was thinking off.

One thing that always amazes me is people who are the same height and build as me but convince themselves that their race weight is 13stone, I know a few of them. I might be tubby and overweight but at least I know it :)

That would suggest that I need to lose about 2kg. :eek:

I'll blow away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

That would suggest that I need to lose about 2kg. :eek:

I'll blow away!!

Might I suggest a nice pair of high heels to get your height up then ;) (just watch out for the doorways)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

So based on that I should be 126lbs or 9st:eek: given my height challenges:). Think the lightest have been since training is 65kg/143lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I'm the same height, but tend to sway beteen 9 and 9.5 stone, getting it up to 10 stone in the winter.

Something tells me your build comes into it also, with 28 inch waist and 36 inch chest I can't see you weighing 12 stone, but with a 38/40 inch chest I'd say it's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

For me at 1.83m using this formula my racing weight should be 73.4kg. For Athy and Crooked lake I was 73.5kg and just felt this was a tad too light. Kilkee 3 weeks later 74.3kg and it felt much better. So, these formula's are guidelines and as you eluded to before, it's really experience and trial and error to find your true racing weight. I am impressed though with how close this formula got .

• Advertisement

For me at 1.83m using this formula my racing weight should be 73.4kg. For Athy and Crooked lake I was 73.5kg and just felt this was a tad too light. Kilkee 3 weeks later 74.3kg and it felt much better. So, these formula's are guidelines and as you eluded to before, it's really experience and trial and error to find your true racing weight. I am impressed though with how close this formula got .

Pure running formula - add a kg or two for additional cycling and swimming muscle.
    d4r3n wrote: »
    I'm the same height, but tend to sway beteen 9 and 9.5 stone, getting it up to 10 stone in the winter.

Something tells me your build comes into it also, with 28 inch waist and 36 inch chest I can't see you weighing 12 stone, but with a 38/40 inch chest I'd say it's another story.

32 inch waist and 36/38 chest at the minute.

9st and 5 foot 10 is *light*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Damn, I was perfect until that line. I really don't think I'm going to get under 9 stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

It could be argued by the level of whinging I am doing about being tired that I am eating into my "passes" this is not the case as at the moment I am in an "unstructured phase".

"HO HO HO Tunney, thats what you've been in for 2 years no"
    "Fvck off JB, you grown in the last 2 years?"

Anyways, that means when/if the body feels like training I train. Typically after a major event when the body if fvcked I go for a three week unstructured phase. Mr. Monkey always recommended similar so its good enough for me.

Anyways the plan for the next few weeks/months:

Date|Phase|Focus
    09 Jul|Unstructured|None
    16 Jul|Unstructured|None
    23 Jul|Unstructured|None
    30 Jul|Prep|Run
    06 Aug|Prep|Run
    13 Aug|Prep|Run
    20 Aug|Build|Cycle
    27 Aug|Build|Cycle
    03 Sep|Build|Cycle
    10 Sep|Build|Cycle
    17 Sep|Recovery|
    24 Sep|Speed|Cycle
    01 Oct|Speed|Cycle
    08 Oct|Speed|Cycle
    15 Oct|Recovery|

For me the bike needs the most intensive work. I used to be able to ride at a decent wattage and I need to get back there. I think my best set in 2010, admittedly only did it the once, was a lovely interval set of 15x20 minutes @ 230-235 watts with 0 minutes recovery. Getting back there will take work!
    Dave do u schedule any time off at end of season or is that included in your unstructured phase? And does the prep weeks legislate at all for when the wee ones get sick? How do u adjust then? Tks

Dave do u schedule any time off at end of season or is that included in your unstructured phase? And does the prep weeks legislate at all for when the wee ones get sick? How do u adjust then? Tks

I would normally take 2-4 weeks off completely. However being perfectly honest I've done nothing to take a break from so not this year.

The unstructured is basically if I want to train I train. Accepting that while I've not doing Ironman training to need an extended break from training I did do a 10 hour + endurance event with a marathon at the end while overweight and the body will be beaten up and need some time to recover.

I'm not sure on the connection between prep weeks and sick kids?? However if the question is how do I deal with sick kids in the plan that makes more sense. Ideally sessions would be done anyways, I find that sick kids won't sleep in the evening or at night but will sleep in in the mornings. I try to get most of my training done in the mornings anyways.

Plan for the rest of the year will be get up at 5am regardless of the session. If its an hour swim and the pool doesn't open until 0630 then I can get an hours work done from 0515-0615 and so on. I need to get back to the ultra organised me.

Plan for next week:

Day|Session 1|Session2
    Monday|Endurance swim 2.4km|Easy run
    Tuesday|Strength bike|Easy run
    Wednesday|Endurance swim 3km|Easy run with some pieces
    Thursday|Strength bike|Easy run
    Friday|Threshold swim 3km|Progression run
    Saturday|FTP based bike|
    Sunday|1hr easy run|

The next few weeks will be atypical due to holidays and the like!

What would your strength based bike sessions involve?

I sit on the bike with dumbells and pedal while doing bicep curls.

I've a few different types of ones. BG work - sub and supra threshold versions, standing starts, hills reps.

Date|Weight
    16th July 2012|12st
    23rd July 2012|12st 2.4
    30th July 2012|11st 13

Weekly numbers:

Swim time: 0:00
    Swim dist: 0km
    Bike time: 0:00
    Bike dist: 0km
    Run time: 1:49
    Run dist: 23km
    Total time: 1:49

I've a few different types of ones. BG work - sub and supra threshold versions, standing starts, hills reps.

So the likes of threshold power (-10w for sub and +10w supra) but in a bigger gear than normal, so pushing a lower cadence?

• Advertisement

So the likes of threshold power (-10w for sub and +10w supra) but in a bigger gear than normal, so pushing a lower cadence?

Prob -20w for sub. Supra alot more than +10w

After last weeks "blip" on the weigh in looks like I am back on track.

backOnTrack.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Love the way you allow the weight to go up at christmas time.

Love the way you allow the weight to go up at christmas time.

gotta be realistic. not going to be that guy that refuses some of XYZ's ABC that they spent days cooking.

I had a lovely Giro Ionos helmet, expensive but boy was it comfy and turns out very good at protecting your head. It died, or rather was killed, in 2009. I replaced it with the exact same make, model and colour and that served me well. Its still going but on the way out. I recently noticed it a little battered and given whats coming I'd prefer a new one (lots of riding). However at €295 RRP I wasn't keen on stumping up for a new one (Ionos discontinued, Aeon replaces it).

However I recently saw a UK site selling them on special offer for €140 euro. Less than half price - yes please. Delivered promptly and it so light and comfy. My old large Ionos was 320g, this large Aeon is 220g.

Got delivered to work - unpacked it "But you just got a new helmet" someone said referring to the Aero lid I got recently. Felt like a tool trying to explain the difference and why I couldn't use the aero lid for commuting and regular training.

Aeon is being packed away for a while for day to day use until the Ionos is dead though.

Came into work this morning to a lovely t-shirt on my chair. Took me a while to track down how it got there. Turns out one of the lads put it there "cause it was a small and no way it would fit him" but since I had kids one of them could wear it or I "could use it to clean a bike". All fine until "or you could use it as motivation and try to fit into it".

Text from the wife:
    "TT : Sanchez chain broke as he started and he got a puncture."

Dunno why I am so happy she is watching this off her own bat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Text from the wife:

Linda has me recording it!

(she collects her new (first) bike on Friday, she can't wait....keeps looking at the pic of it every now and again.....funny:))

Introducing two new characters to the blog:

#1 Little Miss Bikes :
    Clubmate, in the sport a few years. Joined my old club and then was one of the founding members of Phoenix. He is going long in Austria next year, his first foray into long distance race. Done some middle distance racing. Never *really* did a proper years training. If he dropped a few pounds and did a solid winter he could have a good Austria. Needs to ride his bike more, more focused, less coffee stops. Never had a rivalry with Little Miss Bikes, don't expect one this year,

#2 Dr Jaundice :
    Often confused last year for Mr Tango, Dr Jaundice is also a club mate. Also from the "old" club and one of the founding members of Phoenix. Also going long in Austria next year. Has done main Ironman around the world, done Austria in 2008 and has a 9:41 PB from Copenhagen. In the sport donkeys years, comes from a competitive rowing background and has a fantastic engine. Good swimmer, solid biker, average runner. On < 40km TTs is very strong but his fatigue profile doesn't lend itself as much to LD biking IMHO. A turbo petrol engine with NOS rather than turbo diesel. Lives 1km from my house and for the first 2-3 years of my involvement in the sport all I wanted to do was beat him. Has a young baby and a supportive wife (ex national champ in all distances of tri). He worked with my old coach for as long as I did and he is going back to him from October. Big rivalry with him and I hope to rekindle it, has ambitious goals but seeing as he has previously swam sub 60 and biked sub 5 hours its possible.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Text from the wife:

Home alone last Sunday I was happy as a pig in sh1t watching the womens road race. Am twitchy and annoyed to miss the TT today. Bloody work.

Advertisement