Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Text from the wife:
    "TT : Sanchez chain broke as he started and he got a puncture."

Dunno why I am so happy she is watching this off her own bat!

Is she getting in practise for updating Twitter when you're racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is she getting in practise for updating Twitter when you're racing?

Emmmmmm 37 degrees heat, a 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old - not sure she will have time to tweet in Austria next year - I think the IM will be easier than looking after those two!

Training this week has been nowhere near plan.
    No training in the mornings and none in the evenings. Lunch running only.

That being said I've been up at 0600 or before every morning.

Glenda is utterly exhausted and has headaches and tummy pains from being so tired - Eoin being sick for 2-3 weeks and teething before and after took it out of her. He only wants Mammy when he is sick, Daddy when he is bored but only Mammy when sick. Aoibhe generally will go to either of us when sick but Eoin wears Glenda out. While I could have pushed the issue and gone training anyways that would not be fair, or smart. I will need to be a selfish pr1ck over the next 333 days and now would be a stupid time to start. After the holidays. 16 days of sun, sea and sex. On no wait, that would have been a decade ago. 16 days of sea, rain, sand castles and moo cows. Cannot wait. Going to be amazing. Plan is to OW swim as much as I can (Jellies permitting) and run. Some fantastic running routes where we are going and I know the area well. Hilly as fvck but amazingly scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

#2 Dr Jaundice

He does have a certain 'glow'

Still alive and back from holidays. No training done for two weeks but getting back into it.

More likely to find updates on http://phoenixtriclub.com/blogs/tunney/ than here from here on though.

• Advertisement

I used to be great at getting the morning sessions done. 43km run before work, no bother. 4 hour cycle no bother. 3 hour turbo - check. 2 hour swims check. Then the last 18 months or so I doubt I'd need more than my ten fingers to got the number of morning sessions I did.

Chuffed with myself then for a solid 50 minutes turbo before work, plus I got Eoin up for breakfast and brought Glenda tea in bed, and still was in work for 0830. Happy days

turbo-300x284.png

Run at lunch, suffered like a pig. Bumped into Izoard, was happy for the distraction from being slow, fat and in pain.

Swim Dist: 1.7km
    Swim Time: 0:46
    Bike Dist:44km
    Bike Time: 1:50
    Bike Work: 1173 KJ
    Run Dist:50km
    Run Time: 4:14

Total Time: 6:49

At first glance low numbers, and then we discuss Friday. A good start to the week and a terrible last three days. All starts on Friday morning.

I was riding into work early, I had gotten up with the kids and if I got in early I got out early and I could swim and be home for bath time after work. Rolling down the slip road to the N1 at the Santry/Coolock roundabout minding my own business. It had started raining but it was Friday so happy days. Crossed over onto the main road, a busy road with no hard shoulder and cars driving at speed. I hit something - a man hole cover or some oil or the orange line. Whatever it was I lost control. I worked hard and got it back. I thought "So lucky, if I'd gone down here....." and then it happened and I did go down. Hard and head first. I hit the deck and slid, as I slid I thought "Rolly like fvck Dave, roll like fvck and pray the cars behind swerve". I found myself lying beside a door to some substation in the one spot where there was room to not be hit. I slowly stood up. I quickly sat down. After a few mintues I took out my phone and said "right, just play on your phone for ten minutes and then assess the situation". After that I knew I was in trouble. I rang the wife and told her. She said "come home", I said "but work". I was half heart in my protestations as I knew I was fvcked. I waddled home and by the time I got home Glenda was in teh car with the kids coming looking for me. She is first aider and she checked me out. A cup of tea later I rang my manager and said "Sorry Barry...." and explained what happened. Then I said "but I'll be online in an hour and will get a days work done." A few hours later I wanted to go to A&E. Glenda insisted I was okay, she was right. I was paranoid. Aoibhe then saw my road rash, ran and grabbed a little plaster and stuck it right on "daddys big ouch". Touching, however it had to be pulled off the raw road rash when out of sight.

The rest of Friday I was away with the fairies, Saturday my back and neck were in a jock, Sunday I was still sore.

Fun fun fun.

My running this week was shocking. High high HRs for low pace. A combination of weight and lack of fitness. Bikes were tough too, HRs high, wattages low. Swimming was a disaster. Still though, bar the crash a very enjoyable week and happy to be back at it and enjoying the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Jesus, you were lucky not to be hit...hope road rash heels ok, nothng worse, great picking the scabs though!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's very unpleasant. Glad to hear no (serious) damage done.

Thanks for the concern!

I learnt a very valuable lesson as well today. When shaving your legs DO NOT EXPERIMENT WITH SHAVING OVER ROAD RASH. It does not end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thanks for the concern!

I learnt a very valuable lesson as well today. When shaving your legs DO NOT EXPERIMENT WITH SHAVING OVER ROAD RASH. It does not end well.

Shudder - reminds me of my first crash and trying to shave off the gooey road rash hairs. Always shaven now - no way i'm ever doing that again.

Glad to hear your ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I noticed a huge amount of shaven legs at DCT at the weekend. Other than when you have a fall is there any advantage? I'll probably have my first fall and dose of road rash tonight after asking that question on my very hairy legs! :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    I noticed a huge amount of shaven legs at DCT at the weekend. Other than when you have a fall is there any advantage? I'll probably have my first fall and dose of road rash tonight after asking that question on my very hairy legs! :D

For me the falling is the tertiary reason. Psychological being the secondary, I feel more the part with shaved legs, to me its a statement "I've shaved my legs, now I better ride my bike". Silly you could say but none the less important to me. Primary being massage. Much less painful. I have legs like a gorilla. DaveC gets in deep and its much less painful, during and after, with shaved legs. Heading back soon and going to suffer but aim to minimise the suffering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And it's much easier for him to get in to the muscles properly when you're hair free legs.

Probably quicker in the pool too. The massage thing is the pits, my guy nearly has a levy for the amount of oil he uses on my legs.

Glad you're on the mend Mr. T

The massage thing is the pits, my guy nearly has a levy for the amount of oil he uses on my legs.

Who do you go to?

Sorry for the hijack Dave

Who do you go to?

What I am here for! :)

Who do you go to?

Greg Maclean in Oranmore. Deep tissue / injury treatment rehab, needling etc. He's good. Sent you a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

For me the falling is the tertiary reason. Psychological being the secondary, I feel more the part with shaved legs.

At least you feel the part!!

Mr Tango wrote: »

Mrs Tango says I feel the part too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Mrs Tango says I feel the part too
    How do u guys shave your legs....electric razor....razor or wax

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They're getting lasered for longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

OMG.....and now I have to ask, how often do you shave your legs? And do you only shave your legs? ;):D

So does that mean Mr Tango doesn't OR that Tummey I mean Tunney doesn't look the part???? :D

So does that mean Mr Tango doesn't OR that Tummey I mean Tunney doesn't look the part???? :D

Tummy doesn't look the part.
    Tango looks the part in the water, but when we ran at lunch last week someone looked at him and said "ah bless that wee lad is really giving training for the special olympics everything, isn't he Bridie?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I shaved my legs for Antwerp, never again. So much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Tummy doesn't look the part.
    Tango looks the part in the water, but when we ran at lunch last week someone looked at him and said "ah bless that wee lad is really giving training for the special olympics everything, isn't he Bridie?"

And i said i am doing my best with him but he needs to lose a few kgs!

I was happily coached by a fantastic coach for years. I mentally checked out of the sport in 2010 and haven't returned yet. After I completely checked out I drifted away from my coach and have been self coached since. I know what I should be doing it but I just haven't. I miss the accountiblity from being coached but while no "checked in" self coached is good enough. If I get back in the game I may reassess. I need the accountibilty though, and a dose of realism. Two people have stepped up. They did so a while back but have not forced the issue. That is until this weekend. I think they are talking to each other about me to be honest. One being a good friend (Liam), one being my wife (Glenda).

Liam has insisted on receiving weekly plans. He wants them the week before they are to be done. He will review and comment on them. He is also helping in setting medium term goals.
    Glenda has also insisted on receiving weekly plans. She wants them stuck in the kitchen and sessions marked off as done. Missing sessions is not an option here. Glenda has also asked me to keep a food diary and to share it with her on a daily basis. She also wants me to send it to Liam.

Glenda had initally insisted that I do the marathon. This has been knocked on the head. The goal this side of Christmas is cycling. I need to develop some form and some quads. I need to come up with a definitive goal though. Something that I have to hit. Something to motivate me. I'm struggling though to come up with one.

Both coaches have come down hard this weekend. I best step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you'll be doing long cycles, you'll be doing short, fast runs too I presume? Why not pick a 10k road race around December? Or a 5k closer to now and a 10k a little further off?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    If you'll be doing long cycles, you'll be doing short, fast runs too I presume? Why not pick a 10k road race around December? Or a 5k closer to now and a 10k a little further off?

The goal was for cycling. xkms done promotes junk miles. x% percent improvement in FTP - don't like those goals either.

I have the 5kms and 10kms already in the calendar as part of the plan. Jingle Bells 5km for sure, Glenda is doing it too.

Advertisement