Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I was asked to keep a food diary. Its something I have my guys who struggle with weight to do.

Glenda asked me this morning. "You're not fat for a normal person but I'd like you to keep a food diary". I was about to launch into a diatribe about how the fact that I would not be considered chunky was more of a damning indictment of modern western society and not the fat that I wasn't fat. 12st and 5 foot 10 *is* chunky. In the end I just insisted that I was actually fat and thanked her for sugar coating it. Her response "Okay you are fat, now keep and diary. And send it to Liam too".

Easier to keep it on my club blog http://phoenixtriclub.com/blogs/tunney/?page_id=1382

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I clicked on that out of curiosity...
    0900 two small sausage rolls and a diet coke
    1100 coffee and a scone
    1415 chicken and bacon caesar wrap
    1500 packet of crisps
    1615 Snack bar and coffee

Seriously, that can't be for real? All that processed food and snacks? Would you not bring healthier snacks into work with you (and as for starting the day with two sausage rolls?!?)

There's no way you can be surprised at diminishing times, or expanding waistlines, if you're putting all that muck into your gob. Not having a pop at you here at all- I like my food more than the next guy- but I'm really shocked someone can pull out a 10:xx ironman, if thats a sample diet.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I clicked on that out of curiosity...
    0900 two small sausage rolls and a diet coke
    1100 coffee and a scone
    1415 chicken and bacon caesar wrap
    1500 packet of crisps
    1615 Snack bar and coffee

Seriously, that can't be for real? All that processed food and snacks? Would you not bring healthier snacks into work with you (and as for starting the day with two sausage rolls?!?)

There's no way you can be surprised at diminishing times, or expanding waistlines, if you're putting all that muck into your gob. Not having a pop at you here at all- I like my food more than the next guy- but I'm really shocked someone can pull out a 10:xx ironman, if thats a sample diet.

Oh I'm under no illusion why I'm chunky and slow. Too much crap, too little training.

Diet isn't usually that bad but it's bad enough. Comfort food was required.

I used to eat clean, over the last while it's degraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »
    Oh I'm under no illusion why I'm chunky and slow. Too much crap, too little training.

A 15-year old girl who found out her boyfriend was cheating with her best friend, would eat less comfort food than that. Do you take "healthy" (read "better") snacks into work? Four bags of popcorn would have taken care of a lot of that other crap.

The food diary is a great idea, you'll soon shame yourself into eating better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

At least the coke was diet......

(but at 9am??? ;))

• Advertisement

A 15-year old girl who found out her boyfriend was cheating with her best friend, would eat less comfort food than that. Do you take "healthy" (read "better") snacks into work? Four bags of popcorn would have taken care of a lot of that other crap.

Glenda read the good diary. "Get away from me fatty, that's an f-ing disgrace. " then she read this thread and said "get on there and tell them that the homemade fried I cooked you was very healthy. And tell them why the comfort food was required. Seriously Dave you are a disgrace. You're meant to be an ironman? I'm disgusted" I then went to mention something about work. "No. I can't talk to you. Cop of our I'm selling the bikes and your SRMs"

So here I am. The fried rice was uber healthy and very tasty. The reason for the comfort food was, sadly, I was hungover to bits this morning.

Double disgrace eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A 15-year old girl who found out her boyfriend was cheating with her best friend, would eat less comfort food than that.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ah nothing like the voice of experience...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just catching up on this now - PRICELESS!!! :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Just catching up on this now - PRICELESS!!! :D

I got some about of abuse last night from Glenda about it.

"But I only eat like that when I am hungover"
    "Thats most days David"

And so on and so on :)

Mr Dolan is reserving judgement for a fortnight

• Advertisement

I got a total rollocking for the food diary yesterday coupled with "the pressure, people are going to know what I cook".

I redeemed myself somewhat today by being up and gone for 0545. Cannot beat a sunrise in Wicklow. Suffered like a pig on the climbs, reinforced the need to loose weight. Also the need to be able to generate power at low RPMs.

Lunch run was fine - bar the 3rd Garmin 910xt being the biggest steaming pile of sh1te of the lot and being quickly dispatched back to Wiggle.

Tomorrow will be interesting. A lot on so will be fun to fit it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Hi Tunney , Love reading your logs keep it up. Can I just ask what issues your having with the Garmin 910xt. Looking at getting one myself so be very interested to know what issue's they have. Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Christ. I'm going to start keeping a food diary and send it to you at the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Christ. I'm going to start keeping a food diary and send it to you at the end of the week.

You know RQ, you may be onto something! :D

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Hi Tunney , Love reading your logs keep it up. Can I just ask what issues your having with the Garmin 910xt. Looking at getting one myself so be very interested to know what issue's they have. Cheers

At this stage I would recommend against a 910xt.

Main issue is fogging. Garmin claim its expected behaviour and won't strictly entertain replacements. Some retailers change them anyways.

The cause for it is Garmin skimping on manufacturing. Most electronics are manufactured in a humidity controlled environment. Garmin don't seem to do this.

So there is moisture in the units. When a day is not that warm but the sunny is bright the moisture fogs up on the screen and can leave it completely unreadable. Again Garmin claim this is "okay.

I don't think it is okay.

They also have problems pairing, and remaining paired, with PMs. Theories as to why are littered around the internet.

I know people whose units won't upload full stop. Others you, despite being on latest firmware, cannot get instant pace working.

Features wise they are great, however the build quality is pants.

And before a certain shop keeper comes on and goes nuts about the manufacturing quality of Polar. A badly designed watch built well is still a bad watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Mr T I wouldn't dare hijack your log like that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

At this stage I would recommend against a 910xt.

Main issue is fogging. Garmin claim its expected behaviour and won't strictly entertain replacements. Some retailers change them anyways.

The cause for it is Garmin skimping on manufacturing. Most electronics are manufactured in a humidity controlled environment. Garmin don't seem to do this.

So there is moisture in the units. When a day is not that warm but the sunny is bright the moisture fogs up on the screen and can leave it completely unreadable. Again Garmin claim this is "okay.

I don't think it is okay.

They also have problems pairing, and remaining paired, with PMs. Theories as to why are littered around the internet.

I know people whose units won't upload full stop. Others you, despite being on latest firmware, cannot get instant pace working.

Features wise they are great, however the build quality is pants.

And before a certain shop keeper comes on and goes nuts about the manufacturing quality of Polar. A badly designed watch built well is still a bad watch.

Thanks for this, all that said what are the other options on the market that give you the same features ?? Have garmin for the bike anyway do I just buy something specific for swim/run watch and not an all in one?? Seems to be lots of other options out there for one specific discipline !

Loved the idea of been able to use one watch for everything but I would be very similar to you, that would drive me nuts and I know I would just keep returning it!!

Thanks again

Thanks for this, all that said what are the other options on the market that give you the same features ?? Have garmin for the bike anyway do I just buy something specific for swim/run watch and not an all in one?? Seems to be lots of other options out there for one specific discipline !

Loved the idea of been able to use one watch for everything but I would be very similar to you, that would drive me nuts and I know I would just keep returning it!!

Thanks again

Likewise I have a computer for the bike. Probably superior to the 910xt.
    A good swim/run watch? I do not think such a thing exists.

The Timex unit (here) does running but not swimming.

Basic bike functions too but useless with a PM.

Polars are for fat auld ones that waddle (by that I mean they have no useful features for those that actually are into training properly)

So no - I am no aware of a good multisports watch that is reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Polars are for fat auld ones that waddle (by that I mean they have no useful features for those that actually are into training properly)

OI!! I resemble that remark.

After such a fantastic day yesterday I hoped today world be another good day. However I knew I was going to be up against it. Having to be in work early and Glenda being to run before work scrapped any chance of a morning session. A lad is leaving work and we all headed out for lunch. So no lunch session. Glenda out in the evening, Eoin taking a long time to settle and me having to pack some stuff street that meant no evening session. Glenda rarely heads out with the girls any more and its something I want her to do most of! I reckon the problem with Eoin was a combination of teething and the fact is rarely me who puts him to bed. Anyways, in the bigger picture a success of a day.

• Advertisement

Found a link to some photos from 2009.

Wasn't always a fatty

And I used to be able to run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Wasn't always a fatty

Well, there's the award for "Whitest Man in Ireland" sown up...

How do you get your Vitamin D?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Wasn't always a fatty

Seems like a fairly chunky midriff, what weight were you then?

d4r3n wrote: »
    Seems like a fairly chunky midriff, what weight were you then?

10st 7-8 - wouldn't have been much meat on me

10st 7-8 - wouldn't have been much meat on me

Fair enough, silhouette looks more | | than \ / so was just curious, must just have a small chest/shoulders?

d4r3n wrote: »
    Fair enough, silhouette looks more | | than \ / so was just curious, must just have a small chest/shoulders?

Yip, more of a runner than a swimmer.

Yip, more of a runner than a swimmer.

I'm the same (more runner than swimmer), except I've more of a swimmers style body, weird. Thanks for the replies!

Someone I know was targetting an IM this year. He dodged every difficult session and b1tched out with excuses and whinging. It was frustrating. I realised at some stage last weekend that I was no different to this person. This was an almighty kick in the hole. Suffering is everything, future success depends on present suffering.

End result knocking my nuts out early morning suffering on Tuesday. And then last night. Last night. Well both my coaches would be proud of. One because she could see the absolute state of me when I arrived in Cavan - 30 minutes faster than normal, and this time with a head wind. One because he appreciates the fine art of suffering.

Warmed up and then 9x(10 ride, 20 @ 175 watts)
    1,4,7 @ FTP + 10 watts
    2,5,8 @ FTP + 35 watts
    3,6,9 @ FTP - 15 watts

1,2,3 were fine. I thought "This is great. There in no time", then the realisation "There are another 6 to do".

4,5,6 hurt

7 really hurt
    By eight I had about 120km in the legs, with a lunch run, and I was hurting. "Shut up and get it done" I said as my HR touched the 190s. Sucked it up, pretended the pain in my legs was someone elses, resisted the temptation to puke, and continued burying myself. Up one tasty little hill I let a big roar out. Its now 2115 in rural Cavan. Its been pitch black with no street lights anywhere. People DO NOT EXPECT a cyclist roaring, hurtling up a hill at 40kph at this time of night.

#8 done and into #9 with a much reduced recovery (had not factored in the reduced travel time as a result of the intervals). FTP -15 watts has never felt so easy.

The suffering has begun, long life the suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Izoard wrote: »
    Well, there's the award for "Whitest Man in Ireland" sown up...

How do you get your Vitamin D?:)

Easy now, BTH might be on holidays but he makes Tunney look positively tanned. ;)

Loving the mental image of you roaring into the Cavan darkness by the way. It's in the these dark places eh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Super stuff, inability to suffer and you might as well forget about it. As Kelly says multiple times "you must have been on the limit":)
    +1 on the mental image of you roaring in the pitch black in the back ar$e of nowhere.

Advertisement