Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

+1 on the mental image of you roaring in the pitch black in the back ar$e of nowhere.

Potentially a lot like Roth whilst you were at the wheel ... asleep ... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

interested wrote: »
    Potentially a lot like Roth whilst you were at the wheel ... asleep ... ?

No it was more subtle along the lines of..."you might want to slow down a little", "is that a sharp corner up ahead" and "you know that car has stopped in front". All the while Tango asleep in the back thinking we are flying along at 120kmph on the Autobhan and not noticing we are in fact on winding back roads in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

No it was more subtle along the lines of..."you might want to slow down a little", "is that a sharp corner up ahead" and "you know that car has stopped in front". All the while Tango asleep in the back thinking we are flying along at 120kmph on the Autobhan and not noticing we are in fact on winding back roads in the middle of nowhere.

And the infamous "You can see that car has a big fvcking trailer on it right?" "oh sh1t.............."

If only I hadn't slept in on race morning and then I would have a lifetime of being able to abuse tango for faffing and always delaying us.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Im there when it really counts!

Good to hear your are suffering, with all the talk on this post of shaving legs, weight and all your excuses for taking it handy i though you were turning into a girl!

How long will you stay on the wagon?

Last week was a reasonable week. Back end of the week was always going to be bad training wise as I was away with my family for my Mother and Fathers 60ths. We took them both a way for a weekend to a nice hotel. (Weight suffered as a result)

Had intended on getting back into the swing of things on Sunday evening however the little man (and no JB I am not referring to my penis) got rather sick. 39 degree temperature and roaring with pain all day and night. He should be at the doctors right about now. The glowing red ear is a slight hint as to what is wrong. Poor little thing.

Anyways riding to work this morning I noticed my SRM computer was gone. PANIC. Then realised that I was in fact on my fixie. When I get a decent weeks cycling in one of two things happens. One is I crash cycling to work as I forget I cannot freewheel in corners. The other is SRM computer related panic. Happy days and with that some number:

Swim dist: 21.km
    Swim time: 0:45
    Bike dist: 212km
    Bike time: 8:10
    Bike work: 5053KJ
    Run dist: 26km
    Run time: 2:38
    Total time: 11:35

• Advertisement

FTP test tonight

5min TT then 20min TT. Will be done on a trainer with two (gay) fans.

Last test was 275watts and was done in June.

Any guesses? See who gets closest.
    I think anything less than 15% difference between 5min and 20 min means didn't go hard enough for 5 min

Went over all my WKO files for 2012 to see the previous tests....... fvck me I barely rode my bike for Roth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

An increase of at least 50W based on last weeks pedal to Cavan and that's being conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

My previous two attempts at replying have been dropped by a crap internet today.

I was guessing 311 based on the Cavan thing and frustrated training attempts of late.

pgibbo wrote: »
    An increase of at least 50W based on last weeks pedal to Cavan and that's being conservative.
    My previous two attempts at replying have been dropped by a crap internet today.

I was guessing 311 based on the Cavan thing and frustrated training attempts of late.

Oh I wish. To enable further more accurate guesses I'll put forward the following:

4/6/2012 FTP 275 (on hour TT with SRMs)
    4/1/2012 FTP 245 (5/20 TT with SRMs)

Roth numbers:
    5:35
    AP 175watts
    NP 197 watts
    HR 140bpm

Disgraceful race numbers, shows you little I pushed it as IM HR is 151bpm but anyways.

Cavan ride numbers:
    5:03
    AP 177 watts
    NP 205 watts
    HR 151bpm

Peak 5 287watts
    Peak 10 284 watts
    Peak 20 223 watts

311 watts would require holding 327 watts for 20 minutes and 385+ for 5 minutes. Not going to happen.

If I can test at June(ish) shape I will be happy.

• Advertisement

I am going to be a little more realistic than the two lads as i think they have been taking drugs this morning:) I am considering your easy pace/power is around 175/85w and allowing for the ride elements of the Cavan ride and how you finished the ride bunched i have thrown all these figures into my randomn number genearator and come up with an FTP of 283w.
    Prove me wrong by all means:)

Make sure you pull up a deck chair in the pain cave tonight and make yourself at home. Enjoy!!

EDIT: Just seen data above and i stick to me original number

Email entry from MCOS:

"279 watts"

SIU & MTFU is coming next!

Video link from the pain cave so we can all abuse you for not pushing yourself hard enough. It'll give you that realistic feeling of being at the front of the pack fighting off the chasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Am going to say 265 watts. Post Roth training hangover.
    Couple of green questions....whats difference between AP & NP?
    Whay were numbers highrer on road in June than on turbo ...few days later..is there always a difference?

Am going to say 265 watts. Post Roth training hangover.
    Couple of green questions....whats difference between AP & NP?
    Whay were numbers highrer on road in June than on turbo ...few days later..is there always a difference?

No the two I posted were Janurary and June.
    There can be a difference in numbers, I posted a good article last week about why. For me not hugely.

AP Average Power. Comes in two formats ZAP and NZAP.
    ZAP is average power included zeros. NZAP is average power excluded zeros. NZAP is useless IMHO and only used to inflate peoples egos.

NP or normalised power can be thought of, rather simplistically, as the average power required to be held, consistently, to give the same cost on the body as what was done. Go out and smash yourself for 5minutes at 400watts and then ride easy for 5 minutes at 100 watts. AP for the 10 minutes will be 250watts. However the NP, the averge power you'd have to hold for 10 minutes to get the same cost, would be higher, say 350 watts.

SIU & MTFU is coming next!

Video link from the pain cave so we can all abuse you for not pushing yourself hard enough. It'll give you that realistic feeling of being at the front of the pack fighting off the chasers.

Following this and an abusive email from JB I spent 5 minutes looking into the feasibility of sharing my desktop. Rather simple it appears. Could easily share Golden cheetah live tracking (albeit of CT watts as opposed to SRM watts (5% delta)) with a video camera inset of me killing myself. Video quality poor but all doable easily :)

tunney wrote: »
    Following this and an abusive email from JB I spent 5 minutes looking into the feasibility of sharing my desktop. Rather simple it appears. Could easily share Golden cheetah live tracking (albeit of CT watts as opposed to SRM watts (5% delta)) with a video camera inset of me killing myself. Video quality poor but all doable easily :)

I thought it was gently encouraging myself:) SIU buttercup.

LOL this is gas, will lash a link up just before I get into it, why the **** not, might eck out a few more watts this way. probable about 8. Will tweet as well @davetunney

Actually might be able to get ctAnt to inject SRM watts into the CT datastream so would be SRM watts............. emmmmmm

tunney wrote: »
    LOL this is gas, will lash a link up just before I get into it, why the **** not, might eck out a few more watts this way. probable about 8. Will tweet as well @davetunney

Will revise my estimation up 10 watts...with the live link and people watching upping the performance and suffering :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

For some reason that scene from American Pie springs to mind. Lets call the test "operation Nadia" and hope that Tunney is up to the task!

2 way speaker access would be good as well......lads hurling encouragement or abuse!!!

For some reason that scene from American Pie springs to mind. Lets call the test "operation Nadia" and hope that Tunney is up to the task!

Yes - the same thought did cross my mind.
    2 way speaker access would be good as well......lads hurling encouragement or abuse!!!

Not ideal for me!

Lets hope he can get it up, watts that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jaysus, first it was the food log, now it's "this evening, in the Big Brother house"
    Can you get one of those HRMs that upload data to the web constantly? Or maybe you can apply to be one of the leaders in Operation Transformation?:p

It would have to be a Polar ;0

RayCun wrote: »
    jaysus, first it was the food log, now it's "this evening, in the Big Brother house"
    Can you get one of those HRMs that upload data to the web constantly? Or maybe you can apply to be one of the leaders in Operation Transformation?:p

Yes you can. An iPhone, a Wahoo Dongle, a little app and you can have streaming tracking from Ant+ devices................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well, how did it go?

Just back from a short run.

HR up 172bpm, usual for that RPE 149bpm

Could be lack of sleep, could be stress, could be caffeine. However I fear it ties in with the feelings of unwellness yesterday and the sickness in the house. c0ck.

• Advertisement

Well, how did it go?

It didn't. Priorities shifted. Coach #1 directed affected by outcome of events so didn't question the change in direction. Coach #2 understands the potential outcome of events but not directly affected.

Coach #1 didn't say a word.
    Coach #2 b0llocked me out of it.

Both right. Will reassess, recover and regroup.

Advertisement