Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - we're going back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Was chatting the Man with the Tan. I had planned on ringing him anyways (Glenda said "ring a fecking doctor not Dave"). He of course knew why I was hopping and how I could stop it.

Booked in for a massage next week as I had nothing done after Roth and assuming I eventually get better I'm going to need one. Plus once I start the new job it could be a while before I can.

On Monday I was sick in bed. Glenda said "You have an email from Liam. Don't read it until you are better. Its very good, but don't read it until you are better."

Few hours later text from Liam "Are you still talking to me? Is Glenda?"

Asked Glenda
    "What was that email about?"
    "Oh basically savaging you about your litany of excuses,he has compiled all the ones you gave him. Very weak David, very weak"

I didn't read the email until I felt better. Which was 10 minutes ago. In all honesty it wasn't that bad. The excuses were/are pathetic and seeing them all in a list really hammers home how soft I have gotten.

Going to digest it all and reflect on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Are you going to let us to see later? ;-)

Bambaata wrote: »
    Are you going to let us to see later? ;-)

The email?

Sure.

Plan was to get up early and get out and ride with Tango and the Hobbit. Tango wanted a lie in so we arranged a 0700 meet. Rolled out at 0615 from my house with the Hobbit. We had lights on but didn't look like gimps. Met Tango. He looked like the Fairy on a Christmas tree. In that someone had stuck a Christmas tree with all the lights on it up his hole. Despite all this he couldn't see where he was going as his lights weren't great. Just lots and lots of them

Soon into a b1tch of a climb. I knew I wasn't going to be fastest up climbs, detrained and fat. Decided though to give t he Hobbit a shock and took off at 700+ watts. Held for a little, blew my load completely and eventually got reeled in and passed by the Hobbit. His power to height ratio is just way more than mine.

Into some descents. I'd usually be a good descender but not today. I crashed commuting a few weeks ago. Lost control going over some road paint, wheels just slide out. Not too badly injured. Then over the next week I lost it in the same way twice more, didn't go down but my confidence was shattered. Since then I've avoided all road markings and metal work. I noticed last week that my commute was much longer, much scarier and I wasn't happy on the bike. I hadn't expected it to affect my other riding as much but it obviously has. Not enjoyable descending when you are that scared.

Anyways a nice 83km or so and 1040m of climbing. Nice ride.

• Advertisement

Numbers from yesterdays ride.

TSS 245
    ZAP 153 watts
    NP 199 watts
    AHR 148bpm
    MXHR 193bpm
    MXPWR 809 watts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Met Tango. He looked like the Fairy on a Christmas tree. In that someone had stuck a Christmas tree with all the lights on it up his hole. Despite all this he couldn't see where he was going as his lights weren't great. Just lots and lots of them

I actually thought it was/he was a Garda checkpoint!!

I actually thought it was/he was a PSNI checkpoint!!

Fixed that for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Where were you guys biking Tunney? If I had to pick my biggest weakness on the bike it would be descending. I put it down to an accident a few years before I even bought a bike. I was descending uncontrollably while snowboarding, no helmet and I flipped and landed on my head, knocked myself out cold. Very lucky not to break my neck. I could never set myself free of that fear since, luckily it isn't a major part of most tri's but it is very very notable during races.

Where were you guys biking Tunney? If I had to pick my biggest weakness on the bike it would be descending. I put it down to an accident a few years before I even bought a bike. I was descending uncontrollably while snowboarding, no helmet and I flipped and landed on my head, knocked myself out cold. Very lucky not to break my neck. I could never set myself free of that fear since, luckily it isn't a major part of most tri's but it is very very notable during races.

Up by Dublin City Golf Course and then over Sally Gap

http://app.strava.com/rides/24268998

Ignore the power figures, Garmin 910xt are sh1t. Won't stay connected to PM when worn on left wrist - too far and interference from lights. (not my main headunit anyways)

I also had a very bad accident with bad injuries but that didn't phase me. I've crashed much harder than this before. I've been creamed by cars from behind. I think what did me in this time was the fact it was the wheels that slipped out and it happened three times in a week. Then I made it worse by avoiding all road paint. Yesterday I crossed the orange lines that took me down and made me loose it. Four times. :) Psychologically difficult but liberating. This morning I did the same and then deliberated rode over stuff I didn't need to. All minor things but cumulatively hopefully confidence building. I even worn my old clubs gear cycling to work so I could cycle like a cvnt.

• Advertisement

Time to finally find out where I am cycling wise so FTP test time. Going to do the warm up and start with a basic load of 300 watts for the 5 minute TT on the Computrainer. Given I'm using Golden Cheetah to run the ERG files I can move up or down as required. I suspect my FTP is in the range 260-270 so starting with 260 watts for the 20 minute TT. (My CT reads 6% less than my SRMs so 260 CT watts for the 20 minutes would be  FTP on the SRMs)

baseline-300x150.png

*Sob* *sob* my beautiful SRMs that have served me so well are gone. Sold. They've moved onto pastures greener where they might actually get used.

Best get training or who knows whats next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Time to finally find out where I am cycling wise so FTP test time. Going to do the warm up and start with a basic load of 300 watts for the 5 minute TT on the Computrainer. Given I'm using Golden Cheetah to run the ERG files I can move up or down as required. I suspectm my FTP is in the range 260-270 so starting with 260 watts for the 20 minute TT. (My CT reads 6% less than my SRMs so 260 CT watts for the 20 minutes would be  FTP on the SRMs)

baseline-300x150.png
    How did the test go?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

*Sob* *sob* my beautiful SRMs that have served me so well are gone. Sold. They've moved onto pastures greener where they might actually get used.

Best get training or who knows whats next.

They must be getting replaced....power2max?

How did the test go?

not too bad. 390 for the 5 and 320 for the 20 minute. Few months training and they will be back at respectable numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

How did the test go?

not too bad. 390 for the 5 and 320 for the 20 minute. Few months training and they will be back at respectable numbers.
    304 watt ftp 30-40 watts higher than u thought?

304 watt ftp 30-40 watts higher than u thought?

I was of course lying - I had to reschedule for various reasons.

I was in with the man with the tan yesterday. Had alot of aches and pains.
    Rec fems "chronically shortened and tight - need to watch that". He also noted he could still "feel the effects of the illness in the legs". Been wiped out all week. In bed at 9pm and up at 8am yet still tired. Improving slowly but just wiped out.

ray o wrote: »
    They must be getting replaced....power2max?

I'll not be doing that. For a number of reasons.

Firstly people are beginning to realise that its no good having a power meter with a 2% accuracy when its not the only cog in the wheel. No good having a 2% accurate PM with a head unit that introduces an additional 5-6% inaccuracy. (Covers all PMs where Garmin is used as a head unit)

Secondly I'm not convinced that the algorithmic approach to overcoming the lack of a wheatstone bridge configuration will work that well.

Bang for buck very good but hard to go from SRM accuracy to less I would imagine.

Finally I've been told no more purchases until I'm obviously committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Finally I've been told no more purchases until I'm committed.

White coats on the way....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Firstly people are beginning to realise that its no good having a power meter with a 2% accuracy when its not the only cog in the wheel. No good having a 2% accurate PM with a head unit that introduces an additional 5-6% inaccuracy. (Covers all PMs where Garmin is used as a head unit)

Secondly I'm not convinced that the algorithmic approach to overcoming the lack of a wheatstone bridge configuration will work that well.

Bang for buck very good but hard to go from SRM accuracy to less I would imagine.

I read stuff like this on your log with 5-6% understanding. Today, I understood 'Garmin' and 'wheel'.

And youve been sick. Again. If you were a horse, we would shoot you.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I read stuff like this on your log with 5-6% understanding. Today, I understood 'Garmin' and 'wheel'.

:) Truth be told I just used a random word generator for the rest.
    Oryx wrote: »
    And youve been sick. Again. If you were a horse, we would shoot you.

Nope this is the food poisoning - just taking a while to get over. Still doing some training but just not going nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

You've just forced me to educate myself a little more on the different types of hardware and how they measure force. I now know what a wheatstone bridge is.

I suppose the 5-6% inacuracy would probably make you want to take a hammer to the garmin because you know its lying to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I actually thought it was/he was a Garda checkpoint!!
    Fixed that for ya

I saw the silhouette of some fat dude out with his child coming towards me, but then realised it was just Dave & Fran!

It was good to be back on the bike though - ur descending was brutal - even I was pulling my brakes to stay behind you which is unusual.

Mr Tango wrote: »
    I saw the silhouette of some fat dude out with his child coming towards me, but then realised it was just Dave & Fran!

It was good to be back on the bike though - ur descending was brutal - even I was pulling my brakes to stay behind you which is unusual.

You climbed those mountains like a child in fairness, even the fat dude was pulling away from you. You do know Lanza is hilly right:) I do agree his descending was "granny" like

ray o wrote: »
    You've just forced me to educate myself a little more on the different types of hardware and how they measure force. I now know what a wheatstone bridge is.

I suppose the 5-6% inacuracy would probably make you want to take a hammer to the garmin because you know its lying to you :)

And now you must be asking "why didn't they just use a wheatstone bridge?

The Garmins are only wrong when you stop pedaling, they record an extra second with values when they should be 0. Adds up.

You climbed those mountains like a child in fairness, even the fat dude was pulling away from you. You do know Lanza is hilly right:) I do agree his descending was "granny" like

Fatty is going to fvck you up tomorrow.

Coach #1,or is it Coach #2........ Right lets resolve this for starters. He-coach and She-coach from here on.

He-coach ripped me a new one before bogging off to some yoke thats on on some Island. My inital reply resulted in being ripped apart again - until I pointed out that what his was asking for was more words and promises. I have plenty of words and made lots of promises - what he really wanted was actions. So He-coach has promised to "ride me like a donkey" until I'm back at it.

He-coach was only one of 35 people to go sub five in Kona, the rest being mainly pros. "yeah but as you always say Dave its a swim, bike run" True but my immediate concern is having to ride 400km in a fortnight with He-coach. I'll be holidaying in Painastan that weekend.

Anyways I digress and ramble as only someone with a week left in work can.......

He-coach not only chewed me out he took strips off She-coach too. She-coach has now responded. Took a few days but everyone is healthy and sleeping so focus back to me. Training plan printed with times of sessions on it and stuck in kitchen. 6 strike rule back in force and I was told "Tell that bloke Happy, no Dopey, no Doc...... feck whats his name??? That Bashful lad?" "Fran???" "Yeah him - tell him he can have first refusal on your gear"

I was told "Tell that bloke Happy, no Dopey, no Doc...... feck whats his name??? That Bashful lad?" "Fran???" "Yeah him - tell him he can have first refusal on your gear"

Glenda was already on and we have agreed a price of €5 for the SRM DA + PC7. She said you will not get the use out of them so may as well sell them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

JB, did you even try to haggle??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

How much are you paying to offload the 910? ;)

Advertisement