Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Sink Repair

• 16-07-2012 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my kitchen sink. When I turn the cold water tap, nothing happens. I keep turning until the water sprays out with so much force it splashes all over the countertops. Then I can turn it in the opposite direction until it's at a more appropriate pressure level.

It seems to happen every time. I have no idea how to fix this, but I thought someone here might be able to help me.

9legjl.jpg

This is the sink (it's a bit dirty, I'm in the process of cleaning as we speak).

It's hard to see - but the brand 'Blanco' is printed on it. I've taken off the plastic cover on the cold knob, exposing a screw that is very tight.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Is this possible to fix without replacing the whole thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your tap insert has gone. Its commonly called a brass spindle. If you pop the top off the tandle and take the screw out the spindle will be visable. This is then taken off with a vise grip or spanner. You will get a replacement for this at a builders providers or plumbers merchants.

woodies do these but make you buy the whole lot and it will cost 20 euro where as a plumbers providers will charge you 2-4 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Thank you very much. That's great news. My wife is out of town for school and if I can get this taken care of, she'll be very happy with me :)

I was able to find the water shut-off under the sink. It only seems to shut-off the cold water; but that's all I think I'll need.

I used a small screwdriver to pop-off the outer piece of plastic/metal
    t9v6oj.jpg

Then I removed the screw
    314qkad.jpg

And the blue piece of plastic came right off....
    10441i1.jpg

But I was really expecting the handle to come off. I know I've had to pull awfully hard to get something similar off but I'm afraid to apply too much force since I don't really know what I'm doing.

Does anyone know what my next step should be? I did give it a few taps with a screwdriver and a decent enough pull - but it didn't budge.

yeah. pull the handle off and then use a vise grips or spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

I think the handle should come off. don't hit it with anything, a bit of wiggling it about may loosen what's causing it to stick.
    And maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My long time experience with this type of problem is to replace the mixer, repairs never last long

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    My long time experience with this type of problem is to replace the mixer, repairs never last long

Is the mixer 'everything' above the sink?

I'm not very experienced but I have replaced everything before; but in that house there were very obvious lines connecting the pipes to the faucet piece.

At this place - it looks as if it's soldered together. I don't know if that makes sense or not; but I'm not sure if I'd have a chance of doing it myself without ruining something :)

yeah. pull the handle off and then use a vise grips or spanner.
    dermiek wrote: »
    I think the handle should come off. don't hit it with anything, a bit of wiggling it about may loosen what's causing it to stick.
    And maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon.

Thanks to both of you.

It just took some confidence on my part; but the handle came off with ease. Now I can see the 'brass spindle'. With any luck I'll take it out first thing in the morning and head off to some shops. There is a small hardware store near me (Stillorgan Shopping Centre). If that doesn't work out I'll see if I can't find a plumbing supply shop or catch a bus to the nearest Woodies.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you.

It just took some confidence on my part; but the handle came off with ease. Now I can see the 'brass spindle'. With any luck I'll take it out first thing in the morning and head off to some shops. There is a small hardware store near me (Stillorgan Shopping Centre). If that doesn't work out I'll see if I can't find a plumbing supply shop or catch a bus to the nearest Woodies.

Is smallmans in ranalagh close to you. They would have it. Also DPL or Heatmerchants. I dred you paying woodies prices and you have to buy the whole head.... Although that means you have a shiny new head. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Bring the old head with you as there a couple of different sizes

This is going to sound silly; but I'm not having any luck getting the 'spindle' out....I'm afraid I'm just to strip it.

Can someone confirm - which direction should I be turning. To the left? I'm really pushing as hard as I can but it's not moving.

• Advertisement

UCDVet wrote: »
    This is going to sound silly; but I'm not having any luck getting the 'spindle' out....I'm afraid I'm just to strip it.

Can someone confirm - which direction should I be turning. To the left? I'm really pushing as hard as I can but it's not moving.

Bear in mind its brass so its going to be soft. Grip it as hard as you can with a vise grip and turn it clockwise slightlyh like 1-2mm to break the seal then turn it anti clock wise.

I hope the hot and cold water is off.

Bear in mind its brass so its going to be soft. Grip it as hard as you can with a vise grip and turn it clockwise slightlyh like 1-2mm to break the seal then turn it anti clock wise.

I hope the hot and cold water is off.

Thanks.

I have an adjustable wrench but I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to get this thing off. I've done this once before on a bathroom tap but I used a long socket set to get it off. As much as I hate to say it; I think I'll have to call a plumber.

If anyone here is a plumber/handyman or has a recommendation for me (in the Stillorgan area), it would be appreciated it.

Thanks again to everyone here for your help

Advertisement