Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junk Mail

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

10 years ago there was email.

Okay... showing my age here... it may have been "That's Life" on BBC about 25 years ago :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Okay... showing my age here...

LOL You are!

Sad part is in showing my age, I used to watch it too. Gawd bless Esther Rantzen and those teeth! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The best solution would be a free phone number to call, or an Internet site to opt in for different types of flyers. When I move into a house I am, in fact, interested in deals for new occupiers - like from the local video store, butcher, taxi numbers, restaurants etc. opting in would allow local businesses to target more effectively too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The best solution would be a free phone number to call, or an Internet site to opt in for different types of flyers. When I move into a house I am, in fact, interested in deals for new occupiers - like from the local video store, butcher, taxi numbers, restaurants etc. opting in would allow local businesses to target more effectively too.

Some form of that is called a mailing list, but I don't think that would stop them to be honest.

If someone is on sales commission or working to targets for a head office and they can spam 5000 people every single day to get 3 additional responses they will do that instead.

I think they should be penalised in some way - it's the only way they will pay attention, save some trees & stop pissing off lots of people to make a little more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Not quite a mailing list as you are signing up for an area of interest, and then you get the mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Postmen push the letters through.

Leaflet delivery people frequently don't and there is at best a heat loss issue.

Worst thing is that it allows burgers know if a house is unoccupied.

yeah, terrible when you hear of people getting broken into by a Big Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Chucken wrote: »
    I love my junk mail :( ....cos no one writes me letters anymore, it gives me something to browse through at breakfast time :D

Gives me something to wipe with at toilet time.... All it's good for really :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Few weeks back i was at work (Chinese deliveries) when my boss called me to speak on the phone to a woman who was clearly very upset. She had gotten a leaflet through the door that morning from his Chinese shop but when the leaflet went in the door of the letter box, the door stayed up and you could see clearly into her house. She was concerned that people driving/walking past could see that the house was empty through out the whole day, she worked as a nurse 14+ hrs a day, and imo shes right to think that way because there are plenty of scumbags looking out for this kind of thing. So its also a security risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I voted no, but I would read it if it was obviously something I needed or was looking for.

What I mean is, I throw 99% of it in the bin but if I noticed it was for a new pizza delivery place then I might read it because I like getting pizza.

I absolutely hate those stupid catalogues though. I have asked them repeatedly not to put them in my letterbox but they insist and then they annoy me looking for them back.

Also, one particular pain in the ass delivers at 5.30am which I think should constitute disturbing the peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Any junk mail that comes through the door is usually put straight into the recycling bin. If it's a supermarket flyer I will look at it though in case there's any good offers. The worst time for junk mail is always during elections - last year I remember we got about 10 of the same flyers for Sean Gallagher through the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

last year I remember we got about 10 of the same flyers for Sean Gallagher through the door.

the same guy who wouldnt shut up about how he was saving the planet by not putting up election posters :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nah most of it is too shiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

the same guy who wouldnt shut up about how he was saving the planet by not putting up election posters :rolleyes:
    Hmm, maybe it wasn't him they were for then? I have it in my head that they were, but I'm not certain now. Definitely there was loads for one particular candidate anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Junk mail does my nut in, it goes straight into the bin without so much as a second glance at it.

It should be banned, or as another poster said, subject to littering laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

nah most of it is too shiny

You'd only end up with a skid mark half way up your back :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Other things like those Kleeneze catalogs, it doesn't half piss them off when you tell them when they call back that it went in the bin like the rest of the the junk mail!

Advertisement