Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre enabled estate

Options
  • 16-07-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hi, my estate is FTTH enabled (not FTTC) for the best part of a year now and I would like to sign up. Information about it is sparse and the eircom salespeople calling door to door only know about the 'NGB'. The same thing applies with the other company who are offering it here, Magnet. Does anyone actually subscribe to fibre in wexford?

I'm currently with Vodafone at home until September but they are not going to be providing fibre using your lines.

How can I order it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Fairly sure this has been buried, I need to know fairly soonish what's happening with fibre. I'll try calling you but I'm sure I won't get what I'm looking for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

funkyflea wrote: »
    Hi, my estate is FTTH enabled (not FTTC) for the best part of a year now and I would like to sign up. Information about it is sparse and the eircom salespeople calling door to door only know about the 'NGB'. The same thing applies with the other company who are offering it here, Magnet. Does anyone actually subscribe to fibre in wexford?

I'm currently with Vodafone at home until September but they are not going to be providing fibre using your lines.

How can I order it?

Hi funkyflea,

Thanks for your query on eircom Fibre Broadband.

Just enter your phone number on our Website, below. If you are in a fibre enabled area, you will be able to sign up, or will be contacted directly by the eircom Fibre Boardband Sales team.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/

The website also give information. Please see below:

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Thanks. I followed through and was prompted to call so I did.

The guy on the phone told me I'd need to firstly transfer my 8Gb service back to Eircom, and that I'd then need to order fibre again by calling them. He insisted there would be no downtime (I asked multiple times) during the switchover and no additional cost to me (e.g.: I don't want to be billed by eircom for a months worth of 8Gb BB etc, when I'm only doing the switch back so I can order fibre as instructed).

Can you confirm this is the case - no internet downtime & no extra charges? I just wasn't convinced by the agent on the phone.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks. I followed through and was prompted to call so I did.

The guy on the phone told me I'd need to firstly transfer my 8Gb service back to Eircom, and that I'd then need to order fibre again by calling them. He insisted there would be no downtime (I asked multiple times) during the switchover and no additional cost to me (e.g.: I don't want to be billed by eircom for a months worth of 8Gb BB etc, when I'm only doing the switch back so I can order fibre as instructed).

Can you confirm this is the case - no internet downtime & no extra charges? I just wasn't convinced by the agent on the phone.

Thanks

Hi funkyflea,

As eircom are still in the process of completing phase 2 - http://bit.ly/HZ747Q of the fibre roll-out , there is no definitive information as yet as to the address' or mapped grids that will be able to avail of the service when it becomes available.

However until the work is complete and the can process the orders, they can not give any definitive indications or time-frames.

What we advise existing or potential customers to do in these circumstances is to fill in the expression of interest form for fibre broadband

https://secure.eircom.net/apps/fibre/Holding.jsp

If and when the service becomes available at an address, our fibre team send an e-mail advising customers they can place an order.

* I and when the fibre broadband may become available, you do not need to be an eircom customer prior to issuing the fibre order.

It can be issued as part of the transfer (winback to eircom)

Thanks, Mark

What we advise existing or potential customers to do in these circumstances is to fill in the expression of interest form for fibre broadband

I already know my estate is fibre (FTTH) enabled from speaking to the engineers here and I received a letter to that effect from eircom a while back. I was just locked into a contract with vodafone at that time so didn't sign up until now.
    I and when the fibre broadband may become available, you do not need to be an eircom customer prior to issuing the fibre order.

Right then, so I shouldn't have been changed over to eircoms 8gb connection then? The agent on the phone insisted that I needed to change over to eircoms 'next generation broadband' and then tried to sell me extra phone bundles etc, and I told him a couple of times I just want to change over to fibre.

I am really concerned that there will be downtime while eircom change my connection from vodafone 8Gb to eircom 8Gb (non-fibre) but was assured more than twice on the phonecall this wouldn't be the case and my service would be uninterrupted - right until the fibre was installed.

This is what I'm asking you.

I am also concerned that I'll be billed by eircom for a months 'NGB' while my fibre is being connected - and I'll be billed by Vodafone for the existing service as well. I don't need to be getting triple billed.

I have a few days left to cancel my agreement with eircom before I'm locked down to 12 months and I'm very close to doing it already (I left eircom a few years back because of some very poor customer service and a complaint I had about numerous things including billing, service quality etc, and begrudgingly am switching back just for fibre - but this is a bad start already).

• Advertisement

In case it isn't clear

a) why have I been put back onto a standard broadband service
    b) can you confirm that what the agent said - 'no service interruption' whatsoever?
    c) I won't be billed incorrectly.

I have all my details here including agent name, date and time of the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

In case it isn't clear

a) why have I been put back onto a standard broadband service
    b) can you confirm that what the agent said - 'no service interruption' whatsoever?
    c) I won't be billed incorrectly.

I have all my details here including agent name, date and time of the call.

Hi funkyflea,

Can you PM me with your name, address & telephone number and I will check with a manager in fibre sales and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is one part of this new fibre thing that I cannot grasp ..... how does it impact on the fibre service that a customer might have a second or alternate broadband contract with another supplier which is provided over the phone line?

Does this mean that the copper wires are being ripped out when fibre is installed?

If not then I cannot understand why it matters what is carried over the copper wires.

Confused :confused:

Advertisement