Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE TV 50 Weather forecasting

Options
  • 16-07-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

I just thought i would post this up for you guys who are interested in the changes of weather forecasting that took place on RTE over the past 50 years. On Sunday the 22nd July at 6.30pm RTE1 is showing a program called TV 50 Weather Permitting. Highlights from 50 years of the RTE television archives. Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Nice one:)..Thanks for that glimmerman! A def one to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Only if it's weather permitting. :)

I remember the days of Aidan nulty and they crew with their paper charts and pointy stick to point out weather on the map.

I wrote to Ger Fleming as a child asking about becoming a weather forecaster.
    He replied to and told me all about it.
    Fair play Ger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Great, I had heard about this programme but hadn't heard when it was going to be on! Thanks for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

RTE 1-6.30PM....Weather Permitting Documentary examining the relationship people have with Ireland's weather and its TV forecasters, who have been broadcasting on RTÉ Television for 50 years. The programme looks at the science, beauty, folklore and future impact of the elements and examines the changes in climate and science to see what may happen over the next 50 years. Gerald Fleming goes behind the scenes at Met Eireann to show the challenges that are faced to deliver accurate predictions and there are interviews with forecasters Paddy McHugh, Charlie Bird and John Gormley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

RTE 1-6.30PM....Weather Permitting Documentary examining the relationship people have with Ireland's weather and its TV forecasters, who have been broadcasting on RTÉ Television for 50 years. The programme looks at the science, beauty, folklore and future impact of the elements and examines the changes in climate and science to see what may happen over the next 50 years. Gerald Fleming goes behind the scenes at Met Eireann to show the challenges that are faced to deliver accurate predictions and there are interviews with forecasters Paddy McHugh, Charlie Bird and John Gormley

Be jaysus, I never knew they were forecasters!

• Advertisement

Im well aware of that Su, thats from the RTE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

A reminder that this is coming up in a few days. Hopefully we'll be watching lashing rain on telly while cheering on next week's heatwave. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Evelyn cusack and ger fleming on ray darcy show now. Today fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Just watched the show, wasn't what I had expected but still enjoyed it.

Donegal postman for nobel peace prize;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They really need to bring back them batons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

I enjoyed it. Got a good laugh out of the " tin foil dress"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Really enjoyed that programme. Would love to see more of this kind of thing on the telly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Nice tribute to the late, great Brendan McWilliams and his contributions on Weather Eye in the IT and on Today with PK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

John Gormley

Was he better at forecasting the weather than he was detecting the 'political winds of change'? He might have saved his seat and his party.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

Great show. Really enjoyed it. Never even noticed that John Eagleton had retired!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jsmscork wrote: »
    Great show. Really enjoyed it. Never even noticed that John Eagleton had retired!!!!

Just from TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I LOOOOOVED this. I really did.

214437.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Enjoyed that,worth a watch

This programme is repeated this evening at 7.30 on RTE1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hilarious moment in this when Gerry Murphy is about to go on the Ronan Collins show : "Ah jaysus, I'm after forgettin the sea area forecast!"

Any sign of a boards.ie internet explorer window on his desktop? :D

c9r48.jpg

Advertisement