Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

deauville questions...

• 16-07-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

i'm looking at 98 deauville as a first bike after my IBT, just want something safe reliable and forgiving!
    was there any definitive answer about the restriction wether it was needed or not on these, my maths puts it at .179 kw/kg which is over the limit?
    what do i look out for aside the usuals? its only done 16,000 kms and not used in a year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Are you sure about the mileage? That works out about seven hundred miles a year. The doovey is the kind of bike that does seven hundred miles a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

very sure! its a german import a few years ago personally imported by a friend of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Well if you the bikes history then you have nothing to worry about in terms of being reliable, but (theres always a but) you grow bored of the DV after a few months of riding. If your looking for a bike to go to work on then the DV is perfect, but for anything else there are better choices. You could get somtehing restricted and then later get it de-restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Well if you the bikes history then you have nothing to worry about in terms of being reliable, but (theres always a but) you grow bored of the DV after a few months of riding. If your looking for a bike to go to work on then the DV is perfect, but for anything else there are better choices. You could get somtehing restricted and then later get it de-restricted.

Deauvilles (NT650) need to be restricted. Full stop.

For commuting, there is no better bike. As long as it has been looked after, these things will go forever. They have a few weak points:

The rectifier tends to go, owing to the fact that the heat sink it's attached to is not big enough for the job.

Check the exhaust for rust/holes. Common issue with these bikes, the steel in the header pipes wasn't the best.

Check the fuel pump works, bike should be able to run on reserve if it does.

I have the newer model NT700v, doing over 20K miles per annum, no issues. Just be religious about servicing, and you should easily turn the clocks over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Deauville needs to be restricted to be learner legal.

Ideal commuter bike, and much more capable than they look. As someone said above, header pipes, fuel pump and rectifier are the weak spots.

I've seen some examples which were right dogs under the shiny plastics, so look carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Have you checked insurance quotes for the Deauville as a new rider?

checked with liberty, 440 tpft with restriction and provisional! age helps i suppose! thanks for the replies lads but i reckon that i'm gonna look for a either f650 or dominator for the first bike, roads round clifden wouldnt be the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

serious3 wrote: »
    checked with liberty, 440 tpft with restriction and provisional! age helps i suppose! thanks for the replies lads but i reckon that i'm gonna look for a either f650 or dominator for the first bike, roads round clifden wouldnt be the best!

I ride in and out of Galway to Letterfrack on my DV and it handles the roads well. Just check the weak spots, exhaust and pump are the ones that would concern me, but I get all my parts now from a lad in northern England.

Mine is restricted and she is fine on the motorways, currently in England heading for Brands Hatch.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Big bike for a 1st time rider TBH, they are a great bike but you will be bored outta ya tree in 6 mths.....best of luck. I did not think liberty recognised restriction certs????

Any way best of luck.

thanks for all the replies lads, i arrived home with a lovely BMW f650st last night, its restricted with new C+S, new front tyre 50,000kms on the clock previous owner was a lady! very pleased with it.

• Advertisement

Enjoy it. Guess I may see you around Connemara sometime. Going to add a second DV shortly

yours is the silver one i presume? if so was it you that did the bike marshalling for leo mansfieds run on new years day? oh and i know where theres a lovely clean 98 deauville with only 16,000kms on the clock, cheap too!!

Not me, I have. Rasperberry Black model, 00 reg, sometimes with a dog in a bag on the tank :D

Pm me the details on the bike, maybe interested

Advertisement