Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting/ physics/ English

• 16-07-2012 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Ok after reading all about accounting being tough in one year. I'm trying to figure out my sixth subject. I'll be doing it in one year.
    These are the ones I'm doing.
    Economics ( first time)
    Business ( first time)
    Biology
    Chemistry( first time)
    Geography

I've never done accounting or physics before.
    Obv did English but was not v strong.

Would I better off just working at English and hopefully get a b?

Appreciate any thoughts on above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

shinesun wrote: »
    Ok after reading all about accounting being tough in one year. I'm trying to figure out my sixth subject. I'll be doing it in one year.
    These are the ones I'm doing.
    Economics ( first time)
    Business ( first time)
    Biology
    Chemistry( first time)
    Geography

I've never done accounting or physics before.
    Obv did English but was not v strong.

Would I better off just working at English and hopefully get a b?

Appreciate any thoughts on above.

I'm not sure as I didn't do it but a friend told me that Ag Science is easy if you do Geography and Biology. I'm not certain though as I have no personal experience with the subject!

I'd recommend RE as that is manageable in one year if you work hard and it definitely one of the most fascinating subjects! Although English is probably your best bet if you're already talking on 3 new subjects! What about Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i would not recommend physics, its ok to take chemistry up as a new subject, even though it is a difficult course this is complimented by very fair exam papers and a short course so you should be fine. I would not recommend physics however two of the most difficult sciences in one year could be a lot of stress.

I would recommend Ag Science if you can, i know of many people that have taken it up in a year and have found it fine also a plus that your doing biology due to the overlap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Geo10 wrote: »
    I'm not sure as I didn't do it but a friend told me that Ag Science is easy if you do Geography and Biology. I'm not certain though as I have no personal experience with the subject!

I'd recommend RE as that is manageable in one year if you work hard and it definitely one of the most fascinating subjects! Although English is probably your best bet if you're already talking on 3 new subjects! What about Irish?

English could be difficult, but in saying that, one years work at any subject who's curriculum is a two year course will be hard. Taking on Physics would be interesting above anything else. It apparently is the most interesting of the 3 sciences. However, doing 2 new (and the two harder) sciences might be a bit of trouble. Physics I would say is more mathematically based than chemistry is (usually maths in the chemistry parts is quite easy) but if you enjoy maths and learning how things work, it's the subject for you.

If at the moment you have a good standard of english, than I would say go with english. Macbeth is the single study text for this year. (2013)

For Accountancy, if you do want to do it in one year, you could (and I wouldn't encourage it really) rel on predictions. You could focus solely on Q1 -Final accounts(120marks), Q5-Ratios(100Marks) another 100marker and then you could leave out either costing or budgeting and focus on one. (Either Q8 or 9 -80 marks)

As you may or may not know, Accounting is divided into 3 sections, 1 being Q1-4 , Answering either Q1 or two from 2,3,4. Section 2 where you answer two 100markers from Q5,6,7. Ratios is a guarantee and Published is extremely likely (near100% likely). The section 3 is Q8 Costing or Q9 budgeting. You answer one of them.

In hindsight, if you focus on predictions and the guaranteed questions, it is a manageable subject in one year. Tread carefully though.

If you do go by accounting and leave it down to few questions, I'd recommend Q1, Q5-Ratios, Published,Incomplete, and either your choice for costing and budgeting. With those covered, you'd be almost certain to be covered for the exam.

The Chemistry course isn't really short per se. It takes just as much time as Biology did, and also the same as Accountancy. It'll be good to look at exam papers and just see, even by questions, which sounds/looks more interesting.

With Ag Science, you'll have to get a teacher to sign off on your project and there is an "oral type" exam also involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Chemistry course definitely isn't a short one. At all. English would be difficult to learn alone unless you have somebody to correct your work. I took up physics in november of leaving cert and will be suprised if i get less than a b2 in my results. I was super exam focused. For example i didn't like question 6 so i just skipped those chapters in the book completely. It helped that i was good at chemistry too.

• Advertisement

short in comparison to english...

I'd go with accounting. Thinking of my predictions for 2013 (and Sunny! who also did accounting may agree with my predictions) I think you'd be well safe.

Do all Q1's incase. Then focus on two main ones.
    Do Q5 (Ratios)
    Do 100mark Published
    Do 100mark Incomplete
    Do either Costing or Budgeting. (Or both! I'd recommend both probably)

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I'd go with accounting. Thinking of my predictions for 2013 (and Sunny! who also did accounting may agree with my predictions) I think you'd be well safe.

Do all Q1's incase. Then focus on two main ones.
    Do Q5 (Ratios)
    Do 100mark Published
    Do 100mark Incomplete
    Do either Costing or Budgeting. (Or both! I'd recommend both probably)

I'm not sure about Q1 but the people I know that have attempted these questions think its easy. From my experience, and I know its a guaranteed question but AVOID question 5 (ratios) if at all possible.

Published will be 100marker next year, a difficult topic in terms of learning but this may suit you very specific and since suspense was on this year makes published more likely.

I took a risk this year doing costing only and it went perfect. So pick the one you prefer, costing takes less time.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Q1 but the people I know that have attempted these questions think its easy. From my experience, and I know its a guaranteed question but AVOID question 5 (ratios) if at all possible.

Published will be 100marker next year, a difficult topic and since suspense was on this year makes published more likely.

I took a risk this year doing costing only and it went perfect. So pick the one you prefer, costing takes less time.

I'm only saying Q1 for handiness. There's no need to avoid q5. It's not too hard really! I just rathered the other topics! :L At least it is guaranteed

I'm only saying Q1 for handiness. There's no need to avoid q5. It's not too hard really! I just rathered the other topics! :L At least it is guaranteed

ah i would certainly be covering it since its guaranteed, but if you can do the other two questions AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

• Advertisement

ah i would certainly be covering it since its guaranteed, but if you can do the other two questions AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Incomplete and Published are almost 100% guaranteed for 100marks

Incomplete and Published are almost 100% guaranteed for 100marks[/QUOTEi

i think next years paper might be tricky since this year was relatively easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks guys:). Accounting looking more likely.
    Looked at ag science as an external student in Ashfield college €1300! A lot for one subject.
    I know I'd feel more comfortable doing ag science but don't think it will be an option.

Thanks guys:). Accounting looking more likely.
    Looked at ag science as an external student in Ashfield college €1300! A lot for one subject.
    I know I'd feel more comfortable doing ag science but don't think it will be an option.

have you an idea of the grade youd need in accounting?

Would need a b1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

the challenge of accounting is only remembering how to do all the different types of accounts.

I didn't think Accounting this year was "relatively easy". I found it easy enough, but I thought it was unfair they put both service and farm up. Even though I did them both, I would have preferred if they left service off as they just tested knowledge on the same topics.

*It was unfair to those who covered a wider range of the course, as those who didn't study, lets say, suspense, spent more time at farm/service etc. They just test the exact same work.

I didn't think Accounting this year was "relatively easy". I found it easy enough, but I thought it was unfair they put both service and farm up. Even though I did them both, I would have preferred if they left service off as they just tested knowledge on the same topics.

*It was unfair to those who covered a wider range of the course, as those who didn't study, lets say, suspense, spent more time at farm/service etc. They just test the exact same work.

ill be honest i never thought i'd see the day that happening, it happened in the pre alright

Would need a b1.

i'll stay on the fence with this one, but if youll work real hard at it and constant revision go for it!

ill be honest i never thought i'd see the day that happening, it happened in the pre alright

We didn't get that mock.. We got the other. But I would've rathered Published!

• Advertisement

We didn't get that mock.. We got the other. But I would've rathered Published!

yes we got our hands on that, happy enough i didnt get that one tbh:)

i'll stay on the fence with this one, but if youll work real hard at it and constant revision go for it!

:)

:)

I agree, Accounting would probably be best.

Advertisement