Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with beetroot?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭

I have a massive jar of pickled beetroot at home that I want to use up. I usually just eat it in salads and recently tried it in a stir fry.

I don't eat salads that often so it's taking forever to work through the jar, just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for how to use it.

I might just bring the jar into work and use it in sandwiches for lunch.

Googling for beetroot recipes just turns up loads of ways to use fresh beetroot or pickling recipes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

My mum used to slice them to put between my cheese sandwiches for school. Also worked well for the sandwiches with tinned sardines, mashed up with finely chopped onions. Ahh, school days.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

hardCopy wrote: »
    I have a massive jar of pickled beetroot at home that I want to use up. I usually just eat it in salads and recently tried it in a stir fry.

I don't eat salads that often so it's taking forever to work through the jar, just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for how to use it.

I might just bring the jar into work and use it in sandwiches for lunch.

Googling for beetroot recipes just turns up loads of ways to use fresh beetroot or pickling recipes.

Thanks

When I stayed in Oz I noticed they put it in everything.... even burgers...put some on your burger...ok still a type of sandwich I guess, but, worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I had this a while back. Really nice!

I had this a while back. Really nice!

The beets used are just cooked though, not pickled.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You can make a really nice cake with it. Instead of carrot like you'd use in a carrot cake use beetroot instead or combine beetroot with chocolate. Sounds rank but it's not - it's really delish and beautifully moist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Grate the beetroot mix with buttermilk add some finely chopped spring onion dill and a hard boiled egg. Serve with boiled potatoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Merkin wrote: »
    You can make a really nice cake with it. Instead of carrot like you'd use in a carrot cake use beetroot instead or combine beetroot with chocolate. Sounds rank but it's not - it's really delish and beautifully moist.

dont use pickled for this! :eek: its only for regular stuff - but yes its yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Lol thanks, I only re-read the OP now and saw that it is in fact pickled betroot....that would in fact be mingbag in a cake, eeuughhh! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

The beets used are just cooked though, not pickled.:)

I know, but I used pickled stuff anyway! :)

I know, but I used pickled stuff anyway! :)

At least it was a savoury dish. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement