Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Marriage or Legalize Cannibas (Poll)

• 16-07-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭

This chips are down, you can have one or the other. Which one should be made legal first?

Which should be Made Legal First? 434 votes

Legalize Cannibas
    0% 0 votes
    Legalize Gay Marriage
    41% 182 votes
    Burn all Sinners
    58% 252 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Cannibas is gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

cannabis without a question.

I support gay marraige but gay people arn't been trown in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Gay marriage all the way! Time for our nation to get rid of our backward laws and legalise the right to marry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Eh, honestly I think people's civil rights are above the legalisation of cannabis. You can't bring marriage equality into the same league as wasters trying to get their fix. Stupid thread to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Gay Marriage while I have been known to use cannabis. I think equal treatment and rights for all is of far greater importance than getting stoned. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

As I am not gay, I suppose legalising cannabis would have more of a direct effect on my life. I would definitely be in favour of both though.

Get the gay people stoned and everything will be graaaaaaand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

hmmmmmmmmmm leg is in 2 words but not in 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Civil rights before stoners rights

I am gay and would vote for cannabis legalization.

Not actually gay..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Gay marriage. Rights before liberties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I smoke a good bit of cannabis but i think legalizing gay marriage is more important right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Pedant wrote: »
    Eh, honestly I think people's civil rights are above the legalisation of cannabis. You can't bring marriage equality into the same league as wasters trying to get their fix. Taking cannabis is a choice, being gay isn't. Stupid thread to be honest.

Tell that to people who need it for medicinal reasons...

he was telling everyone, which im sure included the medicinal humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Being brutally honest, I'm not gay and I'm not close to any gay people(well, that I know of) so as harsh as it sounds, I couldn't really give a fúck about gay marriage rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Taking cannabis is a choice, being gay isn't.

Getting married is also a choice people make. No one said people are gay by choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Marriage is just a word, like others said gays aren't being thrown into prison (any more) and can still get a civil union which is the same thing as marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Cannabis being illegal is not discriminating against anyone.* Everyone is equally affected. Gay marriage being illegal is discriminating against gay people.

Therefore, I would see it as more important to legalise gay marriage first.

(* I would be happy for the legalisation of cannibas for documented medicinal purposes to take precedence)

There are alternatives to medicinal cannabis, it's not essential.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Marriage is just a word, like others said gays aren't being thrown into prison (any more) and can still get a civil union which is the same thing as marriage.

No, it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I support both causes, but I think marriage equality legislation is a much more pressing matter right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

Gay Marriage or Legalise Cannabis ?

I wonder if thats how the refferendum will be worded ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Gay Marriage wouldn't be as profitable to the state's economy as legalising (and taxing the bejaysus outta) cannabis, but at the same time not allowing people to smoke weed isn't treating them as second-class citizens, and cannabis is more harmful than marriage, so I'd have to go for Gay Marriage.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Majority cannot be right and have always been wrong .History proves irrefutably that fact .Excellence is with a minority .It always was that way .

paddyandy wrote: »
    The Majority cannot be right and have always been wrong .History proves irrefutably that fact .Excellence is with a minority .It always was that way .

Except it doesn't work that way at all, does it.

Piste wrote: »
    Gay Marriage wouldn't be as profitable to the state's economy as legalising (and taxing the bejaysus outta) cannabis, but at the same time not allowing people to smoke weed isn't treating them as second-class citizens, and cannabis is more harmful than marriage, so I'd have to go for Gay Marriage.

Actually, because you'll now be allowing a whole section of the population to marry, you'll see a short surge in the amount of weddings taking place (as some gay couples have been waiting decades to marry). Hotels will especially profit. Also, Ireland might become a destination for gay people wanting to get married which will also bring in a little bit more revenue.

I never seen a joint that could knock seven different sorts of sheit outa ya, (unless you got the skitters from it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I really don't really get the debate about gay marriage. People voted 20 years ago to decriminalise homosexuality. Yet allowing two gay people too legally marry is an issue for some people. Huh?
    Where as I understand people might not want the sale of cannabis legalised for a multitude of reasons.
    Can you imagine when they do legalise gay marriage. You'll be at a wedding possible and when the host asks of a reason why theses two people should not be joined in matrimony Grandad Jim starts shouting down the back:D
    Or do they only ask that during religious weddings...

Actually, because you'll now be allowing a whole section of the population to marry, you'll see a short surge in the amount of weddings taking place (as some gay couples have been waiting decades to marry). Hotels will especially profit. Also, Ireland might become a destination for gay people wanting to get married which will also bring in a little bit more revenue.

yes but currently cannabis is worth more gram for gram than gold or silver or almost anything else you can think of. All pofits are going straight into the hands of criminal gangs.

Millions if not billions could be made from the taxation of it not to mention the resources currently been pumped into trying to stop it (which will never work) and the money being used to keep people on cannabis charges in jail

I cant immagine that the legilasation of gay marraige would bring in more money than the legilasation of cannabis.

either way how much money something could bring in is a silly reason to legilise something

• Advertisement

My God, we should market ourselves as a Gay Honeymoon Destination!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Gay Marriage.
    You don't need cannibas. You have control over if you take it or not.

Being gay isn't a choice. Falling in love isn't a choice.

Just to prove a point: if the poll was legalize gay marriage and ban alcohol in return, I'd still have picked gay marriage.

Maybe we should legalise Gay Cannabis instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Maybe we should legalise Gay Cannabis instead.

Yes! A wonderful compromise!

Since posters who bang on about cannibas the whole time seem to think that everyone's doing it and everyone cares as much as they do about it then everyone will smoke it, everyone will turn gay and then nobody can get married. No more discrimination.

Equality for all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Gay marriage, 100 percent. Not even a question.

Legalize gay Marriage simply because its the right thing to do and hopefully that will put an end to gay pride marches as there will be nothing else to complain about YAY !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No question - same sex marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Free the weed. Not everyone who smokes weed is a scumbag and we shouldn't be incarcerated for choosing to smoke a plant! Cohabiting without being married is no different than being married to someone. Puffs or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Eh, honestly I think people's civil rights are above the legalisation of cannabis. You can't bring marriage equality into the same league as wasters trying to get their fix. Stupid thread to be honest.

How about Gay marriage over illegalisation of cigarettes, or alcohol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

How about Gay marriage over illegalisation of cigarettes, or alcohol?
    I said I'd take it if it made alcohol illegal. I love a good drink.

I don't smoke so I can't answer that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Free the weed. Not everyone who smokes weed is a scumbag and we shouldn't be incarcerated for choosing to smoke a plant! Cohabiting without being married is no different than being married to someone. Puffs or not.
    Legally speaking it's entirely different.

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Legally speaking it's entirely different.
    I know it is but I never understood this burning desire gay people have about being married. If you're in love with someone you take them however you can get them. Not being married doesn't change much except maybe next of kin and tax benefits.

If I smoke a plant I get my freedom taken away from me...it doesn't even compare in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Dboy85 wrote: »
    I know it is but I never understood this burning desire gay people have about being married. If you're in love with someone you take them however you can get them. Not being married doesn't change much except maybe next of kin and tax benefits.

You mightn't understand it but it shouldn't really be up to you. If they want to get married, why shouldn't they? It doesn't impact on you in anyway.

Ms.M wrote: »
    You mightn't understand it but it shouldn't really be up to you. If they want to get married, why shouldn't they? It doesn't impact on you in anyway.

I changed that for you
    You mightn't understand it but it shouldn't really be up to you. If they want to smoke weed, why shouldn't they? It doesn't impact on you in anyway.

Correct, it's not up to me and I couldn't give a fiddlers either tbh. I love how people get up on horses over this and try defend homosexual's honour. I'm all for equality and civil rights for all people but why stop us smoking some weed a couple of times a year either. Being a bender is socially acceptable but smoking a plant isn't, gimme a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Legalise the possession and distribution of a small quantity of gays, and grant full marriage rights to cannabis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We shouldn't legalize gay marriage.

It would be mean to allow them be as miserable as us married heterosexuals.

We shouldn't legalize gay marriage.

It would be mean to allow them be as miserable as us married heterosexuals.

Intervention, I like it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

The results of this poll are shocking. Why is the margin so tight? A significant section of citizens are being denied their civil rights to marriage in this country and people are just as concerned about being able to get stoned. A joke. My feelings on cannabis are actually liberal but over something so fundamental as equal rights? Come on.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Why is the margin so tight?

That's what HE said :D

Taco Chips wrote: »
    The results of this poll are shocking. Why is the margin so tight? A significant section of citizens are being denied their civil rights to marriage in this country and people are just as concerned about being able to get stoned. A joke. My feelings on cannabis are actually liberal but over something so fundamental as equal rights? Come on.

In fairness most people are in favour of both. However there is people been thrown in jail for smoking a plant. It does no one any harm. they are being denied all (well ok. most) of there rights in jail!!!

Gay people are not being thrown in jail.

If this was 20 years ago when gays could be prosucuted then i would have voted differently.

Here is a comprimise. Legilise both at the same time. Everyone is happy then

• Advertisement
Advertisement