Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Marriage or Legalize Cannibas (Poll)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

(In response to a poster giving out about people "getting on their high horse" about gay marriage and another poster saying that smoking weed doesn't impact on anyone bar those who smoke it)

While I do agree that alcohol is on balance more damaging than smoking weed, they both impact on me because I pay taxes. There are also social problems that evolve from people using either irresponisbly. I'm not saying I'm opposed to the legalisation of cannabis, but it's a liberty we all have a right to have a say in, I don't feel the same way about gay marriage.
    I feel the same way about smoking anything.

It's an indulgence, not a human right. I'd feel the same way if it was eating chocolate. It's a silly thread, but they're not comparable.

Don't fix my posts please. :mad: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Pitting these two completely different topics against each other is a weird thing to do. I think both should be legal.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is civil partnership legal here for homosexual couples? I thought it was. Whats the difference between civil partnership and marriage?

I'd plum for gay marriage in this instance since legality of weed doesn't really stop anyone from smoking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd plum for gay marriage in this instance since legality of weed doesn't really stop anyone from smoking it.

I hate that argument. If you are found with it and given a crinimal record you will never get a job again and will not be able to enter any other country. That will fairly stop you.

I dont smoke it becouse it is illegal. well ok. i have smoked it twice but stoped simple becouse i want to do alot of traveling when i am finished college. That will not happen if i am given a crinimal record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

It doesn't really stop people smoking it but you still have to associate with scumbags every now and again, which in some cases is a dangerous situation. The money is sometimes then used to prop up the sale of "class A" drugs like Heroin which I'm completely against.

IMO if it was legalised and carefully distributed all of the sh1te surrounding weed would disappear and it would have a MAJOR impact on both crime and the economy with extra revenue from taxation. Those kind of gains are good for all of Irish citizens and not just people who smoke weed.

Now compare the benefits to allowing puffs to get married?

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I hate that argument. If you are found with it and given a crinimal record you will never get a job again and will not be able to enter any other country. That will fairly stop you.

I dont smoke it becouse it is illegal. well ok. i have smoked it twice but stoped simple becouse i want to do alot of traveling when i am finished college. That will not happen if i am given a crinimal record.

So gay marriage shouldn't be legalised basically because gay people don't have the opportunity to break the law and therefore can't get put in prison? While people who smoke can? You've opted not to smoke (much ;)) because it's illegal. Gay people don't get an option. The end result is the same; neither of you get to do what you want. In the case of smoking weed, it's an indulgence, like drinking booze or eating chocolate. Marriage, surely is a more fundamental right? I don't have strong feelings about legalising weed, but seriously it'd impact a lot more on me and most people if I wasn't allowed get married than it would if I wasn't allowed booze etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

Well i don't smoke anything but i can't see how weed is any worse than alcohol and cigarettes so if it gets legalised its no real biggie. As for gay marriage, no one has offered up why its so important apart from the money that can be made from marriage and honeymooning for gay newlyweds. As has been mentioned already co habitation is not frowned upon or illegal so what does marriage change? :confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dboy85 wrote: »
    It doesn't really stop people smoking it but you still have to associate with scumbags every now and again, which in some cases is a dangerous situation. The money is sometimes then used to prop up the sale of "class A" drugs like Heroin which I'm completely against.

IMO if it was legalised and carefully distributed all of the sh1te surrounding weed would disappear and it would have a MAJOR impact on both crime and the economy with extra revenue from taxation. Those kind of gains are good for all of Irish citizens and not just people who smoke weed.

Now compare the benefits to allowing puffs to get married?

/thread

I agree, the poll only allows one choice though.

Dboy85, you've used the word puff twice now and the word bender once, do you just assume homosexuals don't use boards.ie or something? :pac:

• Advertisement

Eire sun wrote: »
    As has been mentioned already co habitation is not frowned upon or illegal so what does marriage change? :confused:

I'm not so sure either tbh. Afaik there is the belief that marriage is a religious act and by it's own laws and rules they define that same sex marriages aren't acceptable. It used to be punishable by death to lie with another man never mind getting married lol

Don't get me wrong I'm an agnostic with no real strong feeling on it.
    Dboy85, you've used the word puff twice now and the word bender once, do you just assume homosexuals don't use boards.ie or something?

Ah stop, I've a few puff friends and they call each other a lot worse than Benders :D Puff is an affectionate term, like Negrito...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Surprised to see that teh ghey is in the lead! :eek:

Then again the stoners prolly don't come out until after dark. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

Legalise the weed first, get the nation chilled out a bit more, especially the uptight crusty fúckers who would be against gay marriage in the first place, then when they're relaxed (or to out of it to object) get the gay marriage in. Everyone wins.

The two could link up very well tbh.
    Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Make marriage illegal

Ms.M wrote: »
    So gay marriage shouldn't be legalised basically because gay people don't have the opportunity to break the law and therefore can't get put in prison?
    No. I fully support Gay marriage. I am not gay myself but i will not tell two people who love eachother that they cant get married. I think that it is silly that in this day and age that society haven't coped on yet
    While people who smoke can?
    Yes. people who smoke are been thrown in jail on cannabis laws
    You've opted not to smoke (much ;)) because it's illegal.
    ;)
    The end result is the same; neither of you get to do what you want. In the case of smoking weed, it's an indulgence, like drinking booze or eating chocolate. Marriage, surely is a more fundamental right?
    Is freedom not a more fundemental right. No freedom in jail. Becouse this tread asks for which should be legilised first means that there is going to be arguments over which is more important. Both are important.
    If someone is in JAIL they have almost no rights.
    Gay people still have most of theres
    I don't have strong feelings about legalising weed, but seriously it'd impact a lot more on me and most people if I wasn't allowed get married than it would if I wasn't allowed booze etc.
    I don't have strong feelings about gay marraige either but i support it becouse it is the right thing to do.

Yes this tread is silly. I dont like argueing here becouse almost everyone here supports both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Is there even a logical argument against either, or do we just have spineless archaic politicians who are afraid of upsetting the corrupt church and some precious close-minded voters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Owen_S wrote: »
    Is there even a logical argument against either, or do we just have spineless archaic politicians who are afraid of upsetting the corrupt church and some precious close-minded voters?

For gay marriage I can think of one very, very weak argument but one people actually do believe: if we make it "okay" to be gay, it can prevent the idea that man and woman should be together and then if kids see same sex couples they'll be more likely to want someone of the same gender and instead of the opposite gender and the population will shrink since nobody is making babies.

That is probably the only "proper" argument I've heard which could potentially happen.

I don't support it though, I think it's a lot of bollocks.

Owen_S wrote: »

^^^ I vote this guy for taoiseach :D

Mick the bull :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Gay marriage, as it's more of a human right than recreational drug use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

I support both (but with some doubts about cannabis & mental health links, defo should be a less serious offense).

But for me both of these issues are well down my list of priorities. I think gay marriage especially has become something of a smokescreen issue for politicians. The big problem we're facing at the moment is the economy and the real devastating effects it's having; suicide, stress, destroying relationships, emigration.

I think gay marriage has become one of those emotive issues that politicians love to be seen to be fighting bravely for if it distracts our attention from the lack of accountability and viable political alternative in this country. I think this was very obvious in Obama's recent declarations.

Ten or twenty years ago it was all about abortion, i think this is now seen as too extreme a subject so gay marriage is where you now safely set out your political stall re social issues.

Again I am actually in favor gay marriage but if someone was to give me the choice of marriage vs civil union or a political movement with integrity and balls and know which I would choose.

• Advertisement

boo3000 wrote: »
    I support both (but with some doubts about cannabis & mental health links, defo should be a less serious offense)

That's like saying all gay people have aids. Its propaganda. The people that control the distribution of cannabis and the non taxation are the real problems. In most cases its actually used to treat depression and bi polar disorders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pedant wrote: »
    No, it's not.
    Yes it is!
    I really don't really get the debate about gay marriage. People voted 20 years ago to decriminalise homosexuality. Yet allowing two gay people too legally marry is an issue for some people. Huh?
    The term marriage is a registered trademark of God incorporated. Unlike other people and businesses god is aloud to discriminate against as his followers see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yes it is!

It's actually not though.

Whilst it's a step-forward, it does not grant nearly the same Legal rights that a straight couple would get from the same union.
    Things like tax rights, inheritance and so on are not counted under the current civil union.

What a gay couple can get now is basically a dog licence, something the Government tried to use to shut people up, not realising it would actually be read.

That's like saying all gay people have aids. Its propaganda. The people that control the distribution of cannabis and the non taxation are the real problems. In most cases its actually used to treat depression and bi polar disorders.

That's nothing at all like saying all gay people have aids, where are you getting that from? My concerns are that cannabis might worsen underlying mental health problems, be an unhealthy self-medication solution or increase susceptibility to developing mental health problems in some people. That i know there is no conclusive evidence to show that this is or is not the case for some (i'm not saying all) people. While there are some concerns about these issues from legitimate sources i would be wary of fully legalizing cannabis. I certainly have never heard of cannabis being recommended as a viable treatment for depression or bipolar disorders.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's actually not though.

Whilst it's a step-forward, it does not grant nearly the same Legal rights that a straight couple would get from the same union.
    Things like tax rights, inheritance and so on are not counted under the current civil union.

What a gay couple can get now is basically a dog licence, something the Government tried to use to shut people up, not realising it would actually be read.
    So is a gay civil union different from a straight civil union or are all civil unions basically just a dog license?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Meh - If I want to get stoned, I'll smoke cannibis
    If I'm feeling frisky I'll head to the George

Since when did people start giving a fcuk about the law ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'd be in favour of both to be honest, but feel gay marriage deserves our attention first and foremost. It's a human right and I think it's a disgrace that it hasn't been sorted yet.

Compared to wanting to get baked every now and again, which seems IMHO incredibly frivolous next to it.

Hilarious how the masse's have been brainwashed over the years due to "America's War on Drugs" into thinking Cannibis is bad, hmm kay

un-educated sheep who can't think for themselves imo

I'm not going to get into gay marraige mainly because I don't belive in marraige at all in the first place.

Marraige invented by religion whch most of you slate, I'll have a civil wedding thnx, and only for tax relief reasons.

missus agree's here

Turn off your TV's people and read a book instead
    stupid argument isn't worth arguing over

stupid ppl - they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Hilarious how the masse's have been brainwashed over the years due to "America's War on Drugs" into thinking Cannibis is bad, hmm kay

I'm not going to get into gay marraige mainly because I don't belive in marraige at all in the first place.

Marraige invented by religion whch most of you slate, I'll have a civil wedding thnx, and only for tax relief reasons.

missus agree's here

stupid ppl - they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

By 'Gay Marrage' most people mean to be married in the eyes of the state, which has benefits like reduced tax and the option to adopt a child as a couple.

By 'Gay Marrage' most people mean to be married in the eyes of the state, which has benefits like reduced tax and the option to adopt a child as a couple.

fair enough but I'm staying out of the gay marraige argument simply because I don't believe in Marraige at all in the first place.

It's invented by religion and religion disgusts me. I will be getting married ( civiily ) for tax relief reasons only

the wife agrees and see's the same way I do on this matter.
    I have nothing against gays getting married

my argument was more geared towards the weed matter though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

fair enough but I'm staying out of the gay marraige argument simply because I don't believe in Marraige at all in the first place.

It's invented by religion and religion disgusts me. I will be getting married ( civiily ) for tax relief reasons only

You will still have to sign a Marriage License, yes?
    Gay couple cannot do this but they want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Okay so would you be fine with not having the rights that a gay couple don't have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

You do realise there's a difference between a civil union and a marriage that has been legitimised by the state.

You can marry as many people as you want, in as many religions as you want and the Irish state couldn't give a fup. Marriage as is referenced here is a civil matter and it is a step above in terms of rights granted of civil unions.

Marriage has feck all to do with religions. It's like saying to be an Irish citizen you have to be baptised and get a baptismal cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

lol your such a troll OP (but in a good way) :P

I'd like to think I'd pick gay marriage but when it came down to it in the polling station I might get selfish and free the weed

You will still have to sign a Marriage License, yes?
    Gay couple cannot do this but they want to.

Yep - I'd still have to sign the license, but it certainly won't be done in a church or by a minister / priest or whatever they use

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Pedant wrote: »
    Eh, honestly I think people's civil rights are above the legalisation of cannabis. You can't bring marriage equality into the same league as wasters trying to get their fix. Stupid thread to be honest.

Agreed! And yet...the votes are almost tied.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Marriage has feck all to do with religions. It's like saying to be an Irish citizen you have to be baptised and get a baptismal cert.
    Well surely you would have to be baptised to have a cert that you where baptised? Are you confusing baptismal cert with birth cert?

Okay so would you be fine with not having the rights that a gay couple don't have?

depends what you mean in context. If I was gay myself I would obviously want the same rights, civil rights, human rights, same rights as the next straight person.

Because I don't believe in marraige in the first place I don't see gay marraige as a rights issue tbh but only because I don't believe in marraige in the first place, hope that makes sense

So i can't have an opinion that's different to yours or im a brainwashed uneducated sheep the cure to which it seems is to not watch TV but to read books? Any books in particular? How about 'Overgeneralizing for Dummies'?

Could it not be, and wait for this it's a shocker, that the truth is a little more complicated than some over simplified lazy rubbish.

How about cannabis is fine for a lot of people but there is a legitimate argument that for some it can be harmful. And until there is more conclusive evidence it may be wise to at the very least make people aware of the possibilities of these dangers?

To me that sounds a lot more sensible than cannabis is fine and if you disagree you're a brainwashed moron or cannabis is deadly and if you disagree your not cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

depends what you mean in context. If I was gay myself I would obviously want the same rights, civil rights, human rights, same rights as the next straight person.

Because I don't believe in marraige in the first place I don't see gay marraige as a rights issue tbh but only because I don't believe in marraige in the first place, hope that makes sense

I don't believe in tax! D'ye hear that ye dirty taxman you!

boo3000 wrote: »
    So i can't have an opinion that's different to yours or im a brainwashed uneducated sheep the cure to which it seems is to not watch TV but to read books? Any books in particular? How about 'Overgeneralizing for Dummies'?

Could it not be, and wait for this it's a shocker, that the truth is a little more complicated than some over simplified lazy rubbish.

How about cannabis is fine for a lot of people but there is a legitimate argument that for some it can be harmful. And until there is more conclusive evidence it may be wise to at the very least make people aware of the possibilities of these dangers?

ridiculous statement

To me that sounds a lot more sensible than cannabis is fine and if you disagree you're a brainwashed moron or cannabis is deadly and if you disagree your not cool.

not going to bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's a bit of a silly question, but I'd have to go for gay marriage.

I'm delighted this issue is being pushed in Ireland at the moment. The Labour party may be bandwagoning a bit but it's all in a good cause.

I was listening to BBC Radio this morning and it's now becoming a topic of debate in Scotland too.

scdublin wrote: »
    Agreed! And yet...the votes are almost tied.

The poll is meaningless, a lot of people would agree on both topics. Which is why I voted to burn all the sinners.

The poll is meaningless, a lot of people would agree on both topics. Which is why I voted to burn all the sinners.
    I'm just disappointed there's no option to burn the righteous. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gay marriage.

Some people have the right to marriage, some don't. But cannibas is illegal for everyone.

The primary focus should always be on making things equal for everyone, and everyone having the same rights as everyone else regardless of sex, sexuality, age or race. Then, comes things people want but isn't an actual right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

There's a lot more plausible reasons for allowing gay marriage than there is for allowing cannabis. I'd also guess there's far more broad support for gay marriage than there is for cannabis. But I'm sure someone will pull some poll from somewhere that they claim will prove otherwise.

not going to bother

Phew, thanks for sparing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

The way I see it is that cannibas users are being shoved into jail and being slapped with criminal records for something that doesn't deserve any sort of punishment whatsoever, be they stoners or not. They also have to deal with all sort of criminals, and their money will be going straight into the scumbags' pockets. Thankfully gay folk don't have to worry about being punished anymore, and hopefully they will get their right to marriage as soon as possible because it should be a civil liberty to do so.

But stoners/users have to face punishment, and as of yet the LGBT community are only being prevented from performing a symbolic civil right in this country whilst not having to worry about any other type of repercussions, therefore I would legalise cannibas first.

I am neither gay, nor do I use drugs bar the odd pint, so I'm not biased either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gay marriage is of greater importance as it's a human rights issue... though the legalisation of marijuana would have more positive impact on the economy and my life in general.

It's a tough call: my self interest leads towards legal weed but my conscience tells me that gay marriage is a more important issue for society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Correct, it's not up to me and I couldn't give a fiddlers either tbh. I love how people get up on horses over this and try defend homosexual's honour. I'm all for equality and civil rights for all people but why stop us smoking some weed a couple of times a year either. Being a bender is socially acceptable but smoking a plant isn't, gimme a break.

It's all about equality, isn't it? Free your mind...

• Advertisement
Advertisement