Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Marriage or Legalize Cannibas (Poll)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ScumLord wrote: »
    So is a gay civil union different from a straight civil union or are all civil unions basically just a dog license?

A straight civil union is actually part of the traditional marriage, a legal document is still signed after the religious ceremony that gives the couple tax and inheritance rights.

When a gay couple go through the same process, they are then legally recognised as a couple by the State, but are not entitled to the same tax (etc) rights a straight couple gets.

As an example. My ex's Aunt married her husband in a civil ceremony, completely non-religious, and they now have complete legal rights in terms of tax, inheritance and so on.

A gay couple who goes through the exact same ceremony does not get the same rights.

Hence why they're not really equal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Mr. White

Poll Results Just In

Conclusion :

All Non-smokers are homosexual

actually makes alot of sense now, especially from previous smoking related threads

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

If the weed referendum ever arises then we will have all of the medical advisors out to inform us how it kills the brain cells and causes paranoia etc. Sounds like me on the beer :eek:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sonics2k wrote: »
    A straight civil union is actually part of the traditional marriage, a legal document is still signed after the religious ceremony that gives the couple tax and inheritance rights.

When a gay couple go through the same process, they are then legally recognised as a couple by the State, but are not entitled to the same tax (etc) rights a straight couple gets.

As an example. My ex's Aunt married her husband in a civil ceremony, completely non-religious, and they now have complete legal rights in terms of tax, inheritance and so on.

A gay couple who goes through the exact same ceremony does not get the same rights.

Hence why they're not really equal.

There's no such thing as a straight civil union!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes it is!

It's really not!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Fairly obvious a human right's issue (gay marriage) is more important.

But you have to laugh at some of the misinformed numpties here just using this as a cheap shot at the "wasters".

Why can't we legislate both though ? Why are we still so backward and scare mongerers when it comes to Cannabis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There's no such thing as a straight civil union!

I know, I know!

I was having a brain-fart moment and couldn't remember the exact name for it!

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Marriage is a stupid institution for the state to get involved in anyway. So cannabis legalization please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Id legalize both but cannabis would be top of my list purely for economic reasons as it would pull in huge revenue and we wouldnt need to worry about our current debt EU crisis as we would have that paid off due to the huge tourism and jobs it creates..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Id legalize both but cannabis would be top of my list purely for economic reasons as it would pull in huge revenue and we wouldnt need to worry about our current debt EU crisis as we would have that paid off due to the huge tourism and jobs it creates..

Aren't you the poster who sees junkies on every corner though? Would that not worry you, all these tourists shooting up left, right and centre?

Given your logic that legalising weed would benefit tourism, wouldn't gay marriage do the same? Lots of people settling here in a gay friendly country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    depends what you mean in context. If I was gay myself I would obviously want the same rights, civil rights, human rights, same rights as the next straight person.

Because I don't believe in marraige in the first place I don't see gay marraige as a rights issue tbh but only because I don't believe in marraige in the first place, hope that makes sense

I dunno if you're even going to read this but I do understand what you mean.

However, the problem is that two straight people can marry but two gay people can't. What if we didn't have marriage and we said "only straight people can adopt kids, gay people don't deserve it". Would you say you'd want cannibas legalized over giving gay people the same rights as straight people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Hmmm.. The funny fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Gay marriage obviously. I would hope that civil rights would be a little bit more important than people's want to buy weed, which you can get and smoke pretty easily without getting caught anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I think sort the financial state of the country before either.

I don't care about cannibas being legalized as long as people don't smoke it constantly like a lot of people do and have their brains turned to mush.

I don't even bother sharing my opinion on gay marriage anymore because there is no such thing as an opinion on it anymore. You either "support it or are a homophobe". :mad: Really gets on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

old hippy wrote: »
    Aren't you the poster who sees junkies on every corner though? Would that not worry you, all these tourists shooting up left, right and centre?
    For gods sake. Junkies shooting up cannabis? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's the same issue, I'd argue. Consenting adults = no crime. Applies to both drug use and gay marriage, as well as a host of other so called "crimes".

I'm playing up to the sensationalist nature of my fellow poster ;):D

I have no probs with legalising dope.

It's the same issue, I'd argue. Consenting adults = no crime. Applies to both drug use and gay marriage, as well as a host of other so called "crimes".

Consenting adults = no crime? Is that your stance on that? (Not having a go, just wondering). If so, is it ok for 2 consenting adults to fight to the death?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I am fully for legalising cannabis and hope it happens some time in the near future, but I think if it was one or the other I would have to choose for gay marriage to come first. Human rights and all that.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with legalising cannabis.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

old hippy wrote: »
    I'm playing up to the sensationalist nature of my fellow poster ;):D

I have no probs with legalising dope.
    :o
    Sarcasm is it? I see.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kev_2012 wrote: »

I don't even bother sharing my opinion on gay marriage anymore because there is no such thing as an opinion on it anymore. You either "support it or are a homophobe". :mad: Really gets on my nerves.

Do you have a non-homophobic reason for not supporting it? I'd be genuinely interested to know what that is. :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do you have a non-homophobic reason for not supporting it? I'd be genuinely interested to know what that is. :)

I don't want to discuss this as I've already mentioned.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I don't want to discuss this as I've already mentioned.

Fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

legalize cannabis bring in jobs and money to ireland ffs were in a depression and the best they can do is cut the dole..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Rather than walk Kev out to get blasted with piss from the pro gay marriage pitchfork gang can you think of any reason why he might not like the idea of it becoming acceptable in our society?

Rather than walk Kev out to get blasted with piss from the pro gay marriage pitchfork gang can you think of any reason why he might not like the idea of it becoming acceptable in our society?

Not one that couldn't be seen as homophobic or bigoted in some way no, which is why I was curious. At a stretch you could maybe argue its not bigoted if you're against it on religious grounds but even that's tenuous imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I support Gay marraige (well im against marraige in general but if it goes for straight people it should go for gays) but it is something i have never really thought about.

Will this allow gay people to adopt children? I am not so sure about that however. I can see the gay peoples point of view but from the childs point of view i would have conserns. The child going though school, i would imigine would be aquard and other children will see the child as different (rightly or wrongly doesn't matter. That is what other childen will think) Whould primary teacher know how to deal with this? I dout it somehow.

I support Gay marraige (well im against marraige in general but if it goes for straight people it should go for gays) but it is something i have never really thought about.

Will this allow gay people to adopt children? I am not so sure about that however. I can see the gay peoples point of view but from the childs point of view i would have conserns. The child going though school, i would imigine would be aquard and other children will see the child as different (rightly or wrongly doesn't matter. That is what other childen will think) Whould primary teacher know how to deal with this? I dout it somehow.

I think thats gradually becoming less and less of a problem. The "traditional" nuclear family isn't as much the norm as it used to be. Single parents, unmarried parents etc. weren't socially acceptable for a long time either and I think society will become more and more accepting towards the thought of same sex parents in much the same way.

Regards the attitudes of other kids, well its a lot easier to change a kids attitude on these kind of things than it is to change an adults imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't agree with legalising cannabis.

I don't agree with same sex marriage.

Your move. :P

People can always get a sneaky smoke if they wish, every second person and their dog is growing it in their garage now and with it take away the moral block of supporting gang land criminals.

Gay people should have the same rights as heterosexual people. Cold hard discrimination is what it is and has no place in a modern 1st world society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭antonymous

Injecting hash pills according to the SHM stabbings thread.

Although I'm pretty much half man/half plant at this point, had to vote for legalize gay marriage. Equal rights, simple as. Got married, not religiously, few months later signed the tax papers and for the first time, years since I started working, I got a tax break. Why shouldnt someone get that due to their sexuality......

Don't get me wrong, legalizing both would work out quite nicely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I think thats gradually becoming less and less of a problem. The "traditional" nuclear family isn't as much the norm as it used to be. Single parents, unmarried parents etc. weren't socially acceptable for a long time either and I think society will become more and more accepting towards the thought of same sex parents in much the same way.

Regards the attitudes of other kids, well its a lot easier to change a kids attitude on these kind of things than it is to change an adults imo.

yea. Suppose you are right however i just have one more question. I aslo support abbortion. If abbortion is legilised in ireland then will it realisticly be possilbe for gay people to adopt children? Yes there will always be 'unwanted' children or parents who for one reason or another are deemed unfit to support children. I dont want to say 'will there be enough children to go around' but i guess that is essently what i am trying to say?

yea. Suppose you are right however i just have one more question. I aslo support abbortion. If abbortion is legilised in ireland then will it realisticly be possilbe for gay people to adopt children? Yes there will always be 'unwanted' children or parents who for one reason or another are deemed unfit to support children. I dont want to say 'will there be enough children to go around' but i guess that is essently what i am trying to say?

I'm no expert but I don't think legalising abortion would really have much impact in that regard. just because abortion is more accessible doesn't mean people will stop putting kids up for adoption as an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Decriminalise cannabis.

Its not that I don't think that gay couples don't deserve the right to marry; its that I'm not all to convinced of the merits and benefits of the institution of marriage.

Additionally, while I don't want to smoke cannabis, the idea that even a fraction of criminal elements would be too sedated by cheap drugs (no more Garda raids causes no shortages causes no price hikes) to engage in violent crimes. This I think would be progress.

The predictable argument that cannabis would cause productive citizens to turn into wasters doesn't work because we've already got cheap TV sets and the Jeremy Kyle show. We've lost 'em already.

I'm amazed at the vote - 5 years ago almost no-one on AH would have supported SSM

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I grew up in the pub trade and have seen so many lives ended short or ruined over drink. Never knew anyone who died from cannibas.

the real issue is that cannibas is linked to crime. But so was alcohol during prohibition. legalize it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I'm just gonna roll wit' da chronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ive never even smoked it once, but id say cannabis....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm amazed at the vote - 5 years ago almost no-one on AH would have supported SSM

I dunno, I think Boards as a whole- including AH- has always been pretty liberal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Piste wrote: »
    I dunno, I think Boards as a whole- including AH- has always been pretty liberal.

Agreed. Naked Fridays has been a tremendous success :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Many people who disagree with Legalise Cannabis
    or Legalise Gay Marriage
    will not necessarily wish to burn sinners either so this is a devious Poll .

paddyandy wrote: »
    Many people who disagree with Legalise Cannabis
    or Legalise Gay Marriage
    will not necessarily wish to burn sinners either so this is a devious Poll .

If there was actually such a thing as "sin", natch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Definitely think both should be legalised but would rank gay marriage as more important (even though I've no particular wish to ever married myself) Being denied the right to marry someone you love is a little more oppressive than being denied the right to get stoned.

Advertisement