Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness n' Rollies 2: Off Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well done Ilyana :)

NERD.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Congrats Ilyana. Always a relief.

And Berlin's nice, once you get used to the transport system

We'll only be there for two nights so hopefully we won't need the transport system too much; is it very complicated? I've never been to Germany, so I'm essited :D

Yeah, I r nerd :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

D'Agger wrote: »
    He stepped in and the cops told us to cop on in case we hurt bystanders etc.

He then got the píss taken out of him for sucking up to the cops :pac:

I was literally just drinking all weekend but from my previous trips to London I would highly recommend heading to Westfield shopping centre near Shepherds Bush - could spend 3 weeks there alone and you'll get some nice deals there.

Also - the Imperial War Museum is another spot where you could spend the day, been there twice and would easily go again - if you're interested in WWII then it's a must.

Actually I was talking about where is good to drink :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Morning all!! o/

TP you should visit the "movseum" in london - it is a museum of movie memrobelia (and cartoon stuff too) just opposite the entrance to the london eye (which is stupid money and not worth it!)

That sounds like a plan.. :)
    miamee wrote: »
    What kind of things are you into Paddy? I could give you along list of things I like in London but they might be of no interest to you :D

I've seen nearly all the main sights so anything you suggest could be of interest..
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    ToxicPaddy, try get to the Natural History Museum in London if you can, it's fantastic! The Tower of London is pretty good too :)

Been to both, Natural History Museum is amazing, love that place.. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I've seen nearly all the main sights so anything you suggest could be of interest..
    I've seen them all too but if I were going anytime soon the things I'd try to visit are The Shard viewing platform (opening next week), Hampton Court Palace, Sherlock Holmes museum at 221B Baker Street, Science Museum, Portrait Gallery (again :D), the BFI if there was anything on I wanted to see, Spitalfields. London Bridge isn't bad for a visit too actually if you haven't been and are interested in that kind of thing (construction of the bridge). I'm a bit of a history nerd so I love that stuff :D Hmmm that's all I can think of off the top of my head but if I think of anything else I'll post it later. God, I'd love to be wandering around there now :D

Edited to add: Secret Cinema -this sounds amazing, interactive type cinema experience. Currently doing The Shawshank Redemption.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

By the way, absolutely none of them might be your thing at all and I don't mind if they're not :D

Actually I was talking about where is good to drink :D
    Well we went to a few places but there was 20-something of us so we went for places that were close by and easy, so we didn't end up in many trendy bars that I'd recommend.

The nicest one we went to would be The Punch and Judy in Covent Garden which was nice - balcony was nice there and had a nice view - although I wasn't exactly sober and probably just enjoyed seeing the snow :pac: Drink was expensive enough there though from what I remember forking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,317 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

We'll only be there for two nights so hopefully we won't need the transport system too much; is it very complicated? I've never been to Germany, so I'm essited :D

Yeah, I r nerd :pac:

Nah it's easy to figure out. Just took us a few minutes to work out the ticket machine what tickets we wanted. But trains(underground and street) are every few minutes so very handy. we just got them everywhere.

Nah it's easy to figure out. Just took us a few minutes to work out the ticket machine what tickets we wanted. But trains(underground and street) are every few minutes so very handy. we just got them everywhere.

Ah I see, well we'll have a couple of German speakers in our midst so hopefully we'll be fine. The trains sound very handy though, shall keep and eye out for them :)

Just don't mention the war!

Except in all the war museums, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

miamee wrote: »
    I've seen them all too but if I were going anytime soon the things I'd try to visit are The Shard viewing platform (opening next week), Hampton Court Palace, Sherlock Holmes museum at 221B Baker Street, Science Museum, Portrait Gallery (again :D), the BFI if there was anything on I wanted to see, Spitalfields. London Bridge isn't bad for a visit too actually if you haven't been and are interested in that kind of thing (construction of the bridge). I'm a bit of a history nerd so I love that stuff :D Hmmm that's all I can think of off the top of my head but if I think of anything else I'll post it later. God, I'd love to be wandering around there now :D

Edited to add: Secret Cinema -this sounds amazing, interactive type cinema experience. Currently doing The Shawshank Redemption.
    I was in the Sherlock Holmes museum years ago - loved it! We had a fab afternoon tea there. I’m a massive history nerd too – the V&A is my fave of the museums, I think.

I went to London for a jaunt at New Year’s with a pal and realised I must visit more often. I’ve been to nearly everything but that was when I was in my teens. I want to revisit everything over the next few years.

Congrats on the exams, Ilyana 2.0. Sounds like some weekend, D’agger! We stayed around the corner from Westfield’s on our trip but never made it to the centre! It’s on the list for next time.

Afternoon all 0/

Just don't mention the war!

Except in all the war museums, etc

Yeah I've been told that they don't like that! Unfortunately we probably won't make it to many museums, this being a student trip. Hopefully we'll do some sightseeing though. I'll drag himself back with me another time to do it properly :pac:

Ah, a student trip. Thought it was class trip as in educational. :)

Well isn't that what he's there for? to go places that you wanna go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

OOH OOH TP you should go to the Ice Bar

Ah, a student trip. Thought it was class trip as in educational. :)

Well isn't that what he's there for? to go places that you wanna go.

No it'll be more of a drinking thing, but I'd like if we could do some educational stuff too. I'll tell him that he simply must bring me, someone on the internet said so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just had a whopper turkey,cheese and coleslaw sammich and today is my Thursday.

Loving the new job too, I have 3 meetings scheduled with 3 of the directors for next week who all want to pick my brain in relation to my experiences in the last place I worked as they are a direct competitor of where I am now.

I'm genuinely excited about my future here!

:)

OOH OOH TP you should go to the Ice Bar

Was at one of them in Stockholm last year, nice, expensive and bloody cold.. :pac:

Necronos wrote: »
    Just had a whopper turkey,cheese and coleslaw sammich and today is my Thursday.

Loving the new job too, I have 3 meetings scheduled with 3 of the directors for next week who all want to pick my brain in relation to my experiences in the last place I worked as they are a direct competitor of where I am now.

I'm genuinely excited about my future here!

:)

Dont tell them everything, just drop tidbits here and there.. make it worth your while to tell them everything.. :P

Hello everyone! I got my Christmas exam results and thankfully I've passed them all :) Need to bump up the GPA this semester though :-/

Completely missed this.. doh!! :o

Congrats on the exams Ilyana :)

Delighted for ya neccy! sounds class!

• Advertisement

Hermione* wrote: »
    I was in the Sherlock Holmes museum years ago - loved it! We had a fab afternoon tea there. I’m a massive history nerd too – the V&A is my fave of the museums, I think.

I went to London for a jaunt at New Year’s with a pal and realised I must visit more often. I’ve been to nearly everything but that was when I was in my teens. I want to revisit everything over the next few years.

Congrats on the exams, Ilyana 2.0. Sounds like some weekend, D’agger! We stayed around the corner from Westfield’s on our trip but never made it to the centre! It’s on the list for next time.

Afternoon all 0/

I was at the Sherlock Holmes museum years ago as a child but I really would love to get back there now I have actually read some Sherlock Holmes (not to mention watching the lovely Benedict Cumberbatch :D). Every time I go to London I think I need to go back, it just seems bigger and more interesting every time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven't seen Sherlock, am told it's rather good. Never read the books, but definitely intrigued by the kind of mystique around the character. Even Data in Star Trek dressed up as him in the holodeck. :pac: Must check out the books, though. Are there audio ones available? Come on, who remembers borrowing audiobooks on cassette tape from the library? :cool: Old school technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*yawn*

home time at last. lol.

was back in for night work, slept from 330 till about 830 earlier then back into work.

sleepy...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Oh man it's getting harder and harder to get up in the mornings:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Everything OK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Daisies wrote: »
    I hear ya :(

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Everything OK?

Just so tired. Not sleeping through the night because it's very humid and can't go for runs because it's the rainy season. I think I just need to go to bed at 9 and sleep for like 10 hours!

In other news, loving Death Cab for Cutie today. :D

Had training last night so got up early to do stretching and get into work early to plough through the stuff piled up from being off Monday and Tuesday....

Left my laptop bag containing everything I need at home - working on a spare but I've none of my local files or software/snapins etc. hoping to pop home when traffic dies down and get it but still very annoyed with myself :(

• Advertisement

Just so tired. Not sleeping through the night because it's very humid and can't go for runs because it's the rainy season../QUOTE]

Could you try swimming instead?? :pac: :D

Haven't seen Sherlock, am told it's rather good. Never read the books, but definitely intrigued by the kind of mystique around the character. Even Data in Star Trek dressed up as him in the holodeck. :pac: Must check out the books, though. Are there audio ones available? Come on, who remembers borrowing audiobooks on cassette tape from the library? :cool: Old school technology.

I'm sure there are audio versions of the books alright - actually there is this though €26.50 seems a bit steep. Audio books are something I keep meaning to get into but haven't yet. Maybe some day :D

Just so tired. Not sleeping through the night because it's very humid and can't go for runs because it's the rainy season..

Could you try swimming instead?? :pac: :D

Cue REM's Night Swimming

Cue REM's Night Swimming
    Deserveeeeeees a quiet niiiiiiight

They say I'm a natural :pac:

Morning all! How are we in the land of tGC?

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Not to bad. I'm gonna miss the beers... again.. :(

awec wrote: »
    Grand like! Can't wait for beers next week! :)

Yeah tis gonna be a great one! Cassidys has rearranged everything again - mad for their layout changes they are! :)
    Not to bad. I'm gonna miss the beers... again.. :(

:( but for cause why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Agreed! Love Death Cab for Cutie :D Boo to rainy season :(

Hoping to make beers next weekend. Not sure yet if I can. Haven’t been to Cassidy’s in aaaaaaaages!

Just saw that Joss Whedon coming to JDIFF and the tickets are sold out! I am heartbroken! :(

You'll just have to hang around outside at the red carpet grames :)

• Advertisement

Yeah tis gonna be a great one! Cassidys has rearranged everything again - mad for their layout changes they are! :)

:( but for cause why?

Cause of work.. :(

I'm away this weekend from tomorrow working, back in Ireland on Sunday evening, then into the office Monday morning until Wednesday evening.
    Back on a plane Thursday morning, then working straight through until the following Friday at least. After that who knows where I will end up..
    Such is the life.. *shrugs*

Definitely doesn't get boring I tell ya :p

Cause of work.. :(

I'm away this weekend from tomorrow working, back in Ireland on Sunday evening, then into the office Monday morning until Wednesday evening.
    Back on a plane Thursday morning, then working straight through until the following Friday at least. After that who knows where I will end up..
    Such is the life.. *shrugs*

Definitely doesn't get boring I tell ya :p
    Shít buzz man, I hope that you're at least being paid handsomely, although working in IT....

Shít buzz man, I hope that you're at least being paid handsomely, although working in IT....

eh working in IT and paid handsomely are rarely in the same sentence unless a big NOT is in there somewhere.. :pac:

However, I do have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy my work and I'm all about quality of life these days over earning the big bucks and I'm comfortable at the moment :)

However, I do have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy my work and I'm all about quality of life these days over earning the big bucks and I'm comfortable at the moment :)
    Translation: The works easy and I'm loaded :pac: :pac:

Glad to hear the works good - same for myself atm - I like the work but not enjoying the structure - loads of things to be implemented but not much time to do so because I'm quite busy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Had a date with girl last night.
    Presuming that receiving a text saying "So when's the aquarium date happening?!" means that date No.1 went rather well!:D

Translation: The works easy and I'm loaded :pac: :pac:

da fook it is and da fook I am.. I wish!! :o
    wrote:
    Glad to hear the works good - same for myself atm - I like the work but not
    enjoying the structure - loads of things to be implemented but not much time
    to do so because I'm quite busy :(

We had that over the last few years, the office has grown a huge amount
    over the last 3 years and up until about 12 months ago, there was a small
    office mentality.. its only getting to the stage that we are finally getting
    proper structures and procedures in place and things are starting to be a little
    more settled..

Still doesn't stop me being bounced all over the place, I feel like a pinball
    sometimes.. But I'm flexible, no ties or anything so I can be packed and on a
    plane in 2 hours after getting the nod if required.

Have it down to a fine art at this stage :pac:

Panthro wrote: »
    Had a date with girl last night.
    Presuming that receiving a text saying "So when's the aquarium date happening?!" means that date No.1 went rather well!:D

Think the whole stud thing has been mentioned already, yer just boasting now!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Think the whole stud thing has been mentioned already, yer just boasting now!! :pac:

YUP!:pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement