Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness n' Rollies 2: Off Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

I had green tea recently, trying to detox all the alcohol out of my system and I'm convinced its stewed grass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Pembily wrote: »
    Like many other ohsogoodbutohsobad food items, Daisies introduced me to Pieminister. Their mash and gravy is sexual!!

Ha ha ha ha, every time you mention food that's bad for you it's followed by "Daisies introduced me" or "Daisies got me hooked", you make me sound like a drug pusher.

Evening all. Went to immigration with the boyfriend (he knew someone there and to act as a kinda translator) and I MAY be getting a stamp in my passport tomorrow to allow me to leave the country. Now to book the safari and climb!

Just finished my first assignment in an online course I'm doing:D Now to grade 3 research proposals :(

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

awec wrote: »
    Are you a hard ass marker? :pac:

Depending on the situation/ how bad their grammar and spelling are/my mood/if I am hungover etc etc. So many variables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Oh how am I only just home :(

IV coffee drip, stat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Daisies wrote: »
    Depending on how bad their grammar and spelling are

BIG RED PEN

bluewolf wrote: »
    BIG RED PEN

The first one I graded got a 0/20 for spelling and grammar. He seems to have an aversion to the use of the word "the"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

The first one I graded got a 0/20 for spelling and grammar. He seems to have an aversion to the use of the word "the"

My mother's family is from the north of England, they have the same affliction :pac:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

If someone said "the car needs washed" to me I would think they suffered from some sort of mental deficiency!! Words are there to be used!!

In many cases, "the" is redundant.

There are many redundant words in modern sentences.

For example, The car needs to be washed. In this case, the "to be" is clearly redundant, and removing it does not change the sentences meaning.

Ah here, are ya joking? I'll give you this 20 page proposal and you find a place where I put in the word "the" that is redundant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Ah here, are ya joking? I'll give you this 20 page proposal and you find a place where I put in the word "the" that is redundant!
    I love you and Grames :D:D

No way! I always say "the car needs washed". Or "the dinner needs made", "the clothes need cleaned".

It sounds weird and awful
    Don't do that

• Advertisement

"Pass me butter". Ye know what that means, right? :P

No way! I always say "the car needs washed". Or "the dinner needs made", "the clothes need cleaned".

I know what it means, doesn't stop me thinking the person saying it is a bit "special" though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of a grammary one. :pac:

Fact of the matter is Awec, you are wrong! It's ok - it happens to all of us.....you more so than most! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

In from my course!

LEARN ALL THE THINGS*

*it is worth noting that my phone autocorrected "things" to "thongs"

• Advertisement

I learned all the things too and made some quick changes to my assignment. Sending it in tomorrow. It better do well this time!

I tried to learn all the things tonight.

Tomorrow, the learning will be better.

Y'know, reading all that made me realise I actually pay attention in my linguistics classes :eek:
    Technically awecs right I think, you don't need to say the full sentence to be understood.

(It's*) Maybe not the best way to write a paper though :pac:
    *see, you understood what I mean without this!

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I tried to learn all the things tonight.

Tomorrow, the learning will be better.

That's my plan too, can't face doing it now!

That's my plan too, can't face doing it now!

It's too late for such nonsense, to bed/the couch with you :pac:

Good luck with the assignment Bluey!

Y'know, reading all that made me realise I actually pay attention in my linguistics classes :eek:
    Technically awecs right I think, you don't need to say the full sentence to be understood.

(It's*) Maybe not the best way to write a paper though :pac:
    *see, you understood what I mean without this!
    Don't encourage it!!!

High five, Kitten!

You asked, we listened

6036-high-five-cat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,317 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember I used to leave out "the" when writing German mainly because I could never remember al the fecking genders.

'It's a female dog! Why are we using the male form of "the"?!?'

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I remember I used to leave out "the" when writing German mainly because I could never remember al the fecking genders.

'It's a female dog! Why are we using the male form of "the"?!?'

I hate that languages assign genders to inanimate objects. It's a WORD, it doesn't have feelings, it won't be upset if you call it "it".

The only object I have assigned a gender to is my car :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

What's your cars name? :D

I agree with the Kitten. She knows her stuff. And she teaches, which proves beyond all doubt that I am correct.

High five, Kitten!
    Proves nothing, she's only a student teacher :p

Morning all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Proves nothing, she's only a student teacher :p

Morning all.

Pssshhh,not for long with that kinda grammatical nincompoopery.

:pac:

Morning all,happy hump day and only 3 more days til beers,beer cat is primed and literally chomping at the bit!

Necronos wrote: »
    Pssshhh,not for long with that kinda grammatical nincompoopery.

:pac:

Morning all,happy hump day and only 3 more days til beers,beer cat is primed and literally chomping at the bit!
    Haha! Poor Kitten :pac:

Do we get to meet your lovely lady?

I find it difficult to remember all the dumbass genders in german as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Haha! Poor Kitten :pac:

Do we get to meet your lovely lady?

Yep,she shall too be in attendance.

GGGGAAAAHHHHHH

Visa still not sorted! :mad: Just sent a strongly worded email to my bosses saying how unfair it is that we should be put in this situation. Ggggrrrrrr

Morning all! How are we?
    Visa still not sorted! :mad: Just sent a strongly worded email to my bosses saying how unfair it is that we should be put in this situation. Ggggrrrrrr

aww that's sh!t - here have a red panda hug:

tumblr_lni75g4Ylx1qiexsao1_500.jpg

That is the cutest picture I've seen in a long time. I LOVE red pandas

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I find it difficult to remember all the dumbass genders in german as well

That's why I chose French over German in school, I just couldn't be dealing with that three genders crap.

That sucks Daisies, I hope you get it sorted soon

If someone would be so inclined, a rasher sandwich would get me out of bed. Kthxbai.

That is the cutest picture I've seen in a long time. I LOVE red pandas

Who doesn't?!

In fact I don't want to know anyone (or know OF anyone) who doesn't love red pandas!!
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    If someone would be so inclined, a rasher sandwich would get me out of bed. Kthxbai.

I have been in work for almost 2 hours and you are still in bed.....I hate you so much right now!!

[I kid - you're alright - I am just Jelaous]

I have been in work for almost 2 hours and you are still in bed.....I hate you so much right now!!

Heh, sorry for making you jelly! I don't have class until 4pm, at least I'm awake! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In fact I don't want to know anyone (or know OF anyone) who doesn't love red pandas!!

They're ok 'n' all but I just like them as a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sunny out. I'm going for a walk and that will be followed by the most productive day in the history of man.

I nearly believed myself there for a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Who doesn't?!

Wellll... :D Someone I didn't get along with very well but was forced to spend a lot of time with was mad about them. Subsequently...not that mad about them myself. Sorry red pandas :D

The big black cloud that drenched me at the bus stop this morning has followed me to work. It's gone very dark outside all of a sudden :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Morning all :)

Won our match last night - put in a good 'ol shift on the wing, worked hard - to the point where both my calves cramped up at the same time. It was up there pain-wise with fracturing my leg I'm not exaggerating

Also looking like I'll be in London this weekend and hence miss the beers....However, I'll be in Dublin for two days in March for training mid week so I'll be holding court in some pub then I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Just out of a very important internal interview. Still shaking with the nerves :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hermione* wrote: »
    Just out of a very important internal interview. Still shaking with the nerves :(

Oh no :( *makes strong cup of tea with some sugar for Hermione**

Hermione* wrote: »

Hugs! Sure you did great! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement