Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness n' Rollies 2: Off Topic Chat Thread

Comments

Depends on the person, grames. Having an end in sight can also mean you don't have to think "god this is never going to stop, I'm cracking now". It's also long enough that it will adjust your habits and your tastes, so you may find, as KK said, that you don't want to go back on it.

Also I'm diseased, so if you don't nod and agree I'll cough on you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Meh, I don't really give up things for lent anymore - what I like to do is think of something I haven't had in ages and say that :pac:

That said I'm watching myself and exercising so the few vices I have are relatively small - chocolate raisins, coffee and the odd take away with a few pints seeing as this is the time for me to be sociable (pre-championship)

Also, Hallo & good morning :)

I prefer to take bad things UP for lent. I am now allowing myself the occasional usually forbidden coca cola with a mars bar for example.

I prefer to take bad things UP for lent. I am now allowing myself the occasional usually forbidden coca cola with a mars bar for example.
    That's a slippery slope friend!

*Cue waking up in a crack-den environment, women, mars wrappers & empty coke cans strewn across the room :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

That's fair enough but surely you can just do that yourself anytime of the year! the 40 day limit means you have something to look forward to and more than likely will jump striaght back on your vice when lent is over. (especially as it will be easter and the eggs will be a-flowing)

I personally gave up ALOT - a few weeks before xmas, no end date in sight means you stay disciplined -Hell now I don't even have MILK in tea - let alone sugar!!

Anyway that is my (very delayed) responce! :p

Morning all! how are we?
    You could, of course, give things up at anytime of the year. But as BW said, everybody's different and some people find starting difficult. What you've done is great but not everyone is able for that.
    My Dad, who's not really religious, gave up cigarettes for good through Lent. He gave them up every year but always broke it, and then one year, he lasted all of Lent. He's still off them over forty years later!

Tea is much nicer without milk and sugar, Grames. I never take either in my tea :)

Don't actually do Lent myself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I haven't done Lent since I was about 12, and my parents couldn't persuade me anymore :pac:

I did give up wheat about three weeks ago though, but that had nothing to do with Lent. Going well so far anyway, although I was sorely tempted by some garlic bread last weekend :o

EDIT: Fair play to your dad, Hermione. My parents have never been able to give up the smokes :(

D'Agger wrote: »
    *Cue waking up in a crack-den environment, women, mars wrappers & empty coke cans strewn across the room :pac:

Occasionally a thread pops up around here saying "If you could go back in time where would you go". Next time I think I will post the answer "Back to when coca cola actually had cocaine in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

200792.jpg

:pac:

I actually watched that episode on the train home yesterday (thank you rte player) - best dart journey ever!!

Not christian so no lent for me. I'll happily take the easter eggs though! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

It's more about getting out of the habit of having chocolate every dayand it takes about 6 weeks to break a habit so that's my logic.

Morning all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is this meant to discourage?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is this meant to discourage?
    I'm offended that you'd even think it :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Afternoon all :) Been looking forward to lunch since I got up this morning lol, come on 1pm!!

I really ought to join in the giving things up business and drop the dairy altogether

Right....who's slumping then?

It's that time of day!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yeap - am about ready for a nap zzz

miamee wrote: »
    Yeap - am about ready for a nap zzz
    My productivity levels have dropped severely....hence my presence!

Right....who's slumping then?

It's that time of day!
    *slumped*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Yes, except you're always here...

I'm being nice to myself and writing an SPHE scheme, cos I'm just a big fluffy liberal :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes, except you're always here...

I'm being nice to myself and writing an SPHE scheme, cos I'm just a big fluffy liberal :pac:

Well at least you're being nice to someone now isn't it :pac:

Well at least you're being nice to someone now isn't it :pac:

Problem?
    Ah well see that's just the kinda person I am, so sweet and generous.

coffee is awesome!!!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I just made my afternoon coffee, too, Grames! :D

Smells. Awesome.

You lost me. What's this "productivity" you speak of?

Hermione* wrote: »
    I just made my afternoon coffee, too, Grames! :D

Smells. Awesome.

Check out the Uber awesome mug I get to drink my coffee out of:

155235_10151721912273238_680302797_n.jpg

awwwwww yeeeeahhhh!!

Problem?
    Ah well see that's just the kinda person I am, so sweet and generous.

What'Evs

CastorTroy wrote: »
    You lost me. What's this "productivity" you speak of?
    Derived from the French word "Productíbles".....

Who am I kidding - as if the French created the word for productivity, lazy so-an-sos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Derived from the French word "Productíbles".....

Who am I kidding - as if the French created the word for productivity, lazy so-an-sos

Whoah!!!!

That's racist dawg...

Oops!...I mean D'awg!

• Advertisement

I went home yesterday evening - cooked a spaghetti bolognese in the oven the way I like - while that was cooking I prepared some Banana bread.

Was watching the Liverpool game after chowing down the delicious spagbol and then prceeded to run up and down to the kitchen to check if the bread was cooked as it went over the hour without being fully ready - anyway, in my haste I dropped the loaf tin on the floor and ruined my masterpiece, just as it was finished...then Liverpool lost.

I was not happy.

But now it's Friday :)

Morning all!

How are we today?

Morning grames! Am cold still...I think it might be time for porridge :)

Hermione* I'm going to the short plays in Peacock tonight so I'll let you know how they are. Though I think they finish up tomorrow night.

I dropped the loaf tin on the floor and ruined my masterpiece

Its not ruined. Just put the lumps into custard. Banana pie pudding!

With tea!! niiiiiice and warm!!
    Its not ruined. Just put the lumps into custard. Banana pie pudding!

when life gives you crumbelled banana bread........make banana bread and custard sludge!! :)

Hmmm...not sure about custard but I do have what's left of it so I'll definitely be eating it.

I'm also considering making another batch tonight if I'm bored.

• Advertisement

Hermione* I'm going to the short plays in Peacock tonight so I'll let you know how they are. Though I think they finish up tomorrow night.
    Thank you! I probably won’t get to go as I’ll be watching the rugby tomorrow, but would love to hear your thoughts anyway :)
    Did you see DruidMurphy at last year’s DTF? If not, it’s coming back in April/May and I cannot recommend highly enough. It was superb!

D’agger, am intrigued by your spag bol from the oven. Do you cook your ragu in the oven, is it? :confused: I may need to try that!
    I put blueberries, and sometimes seeds, in my banana bread. It gives it lovely texture. Especially when toasted with butter :D

0/ all!

@Hermione* I will let you know how it goes alright. I haven't seen any Druid Theatre stuff, can;t believe it is coming back again - I will have to see it this time! I think the three plays in one day put me off last time :D

Hermione* wrote: »
    Thank you! I probably won’t get to go as I’ll be watching the rugby tomorrow, but would love to hear your thoughts anyway :)
    Did you see DruidMurphy at last year’s DTF? If not, it’s coming back in April/May and I cannot recommend highly enough. It was superb!

D’agger, am intrigued by your spag bol from the oven. Do you cook your ragu in the oven, is it? :confused: I may need to try that!
    I put blueberries, and sometimes seeds, in my banana bread. It gives it lovely texture. Especially when toasted with butter :D

0/ all!

I brown the mince in a pan then put it in a big caserole dish in the oven for about 40/50mins - cooks in the sauce and its own juices for longer and tastes much nicer than just doing it in the pan I think - realistically you could leave it in for much longer on a lower heat but 50mins is the max I can wait really!

My mam puts in walnuts and it tastes really nice but I'm a simple man, alls I needs is the bananasssss :)

I like the toasted idea....I like it alot!

@Hermione* I will let you know how it goes alright. I haven't seen any Druid Theatre stuff, can't believe it is coming back again - I will have to see it this time! I think the three plays in one day put me off last time :D
    You must! Druid are absolutely amazing. I think I’ve seen 5 or 6 of their shows now and they never disappoint. I saw two plays in one day last year and that was tough. Only a 40 minute break between the two! However, you can see them across there evenings and still pay the Cycle price, although that’s more time-consuming. It’s a tough call! :confused:
    I brown the mince in a pan then put it in a big caserole dish in the oven for about 40/50mins - cooks in the sauce and its own juices for longer and tastes much nicer than just doing it in the pan I think - realistically you could leave it in for much longer on a lower heat but 50mins is the max I can wait really!

My mam puts in walnuts and it tastes really nice but I'm a simple man, alls I needs is the bananasssss :)

I like the toasted idea....I like it alot!
    Simple, eh?! :P
    Yeah, I can imagine the sauce comes out lovely and rich from the oven. I love a good tomato sauce so I may have to nick that idea ;)

Just booked tickets to see Bell X1 in June. Didn’t even know about the gig this morning. What a stroke of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Banana bread? Oh yeah. :cool:

• Advertisement

I have NEVER in my life had banana bread - I feel left out!!

Get on that.....now

I'm surprised at you considering your love of confectionary goods :)

Get on that.....now

I'm surprised at you considering your love of confectionary goods :)

and bananas!!

strange i know! I aint gonna try make it though .... this comes to mind:

2366414413_404186e965_z.jpg?zz=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't post in here for months and you make awec a mod... What the hell have you done???

That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't post in here for months and you make awec a mod... What the hell have you done???

Even worse, D'Agger and TP have mod hats too! :eek:

Run far away while you still can man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Even worse, D'Agger and TP have mod hats too! :eek:

Run far away while you still can man.

But I've got more posts than them. By logic... Obvious, sexy logic, I should be the one whose name is in bold!!

Yeah but you weren't here for the raffle. How else do you think they got their modality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That_Guy wrote: »
    But I've got more posts than them. By logic... Obvious, sexy logic, I should be the one whose name is in bold!!

Yeah but they don't post an awful lot of sheeeeeeiiiiitttteee......:eek::eek::eek:
    :pac::pac:
    Thatguy hows tricks?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hello all.

Hungover. Need chips. Someone please help me.

and bananas!!

strange i know! I aint gonna try make it though .... this comes to mind:

2366414413_404186e965_z.jpg?zz=1
    lol

I used this very reference last night regarding why I dropped it!! :pac:

Also - to those of you questioning my modship FACK OFF! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement