Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness n' Rollies 2: Off Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Kev.OC wrote: »
    First skydive booked! Going up next weekend. :D

"If I don't make it, tell my wife "Hello"." :pac:

Best thing I ever did. Loved every minute and would do it again in a heartbeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Daisies wrote: »
    Saying hello to your wife??

You kept that fierce quiet Daisies, you dawwwg! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Well that's reassuring :). Actually I'm hoping to do the Accelerated Free Fall course. I have to do two tandem jumps before I can start the course though. For a while now I've wanted to fly a wingsuit, and I decided recently to set myself the goal of doing so before I hit 28 (sounds like lots of time but need lots and lots of jumps). So that's what I'm aiming for, but you have to start at the beginning.

Daisies, is that the real reason you left the country, so you could be with your wife? :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Well that's reassuring :). Actually I'm hoping to do the Accelerated Free Fall course. I have to do two tandem jumps before I can start the course though. For a while now I've wanted to fly a wingsuit, and I decided recently to set myself the goal of doing so before I hit 28 (sounds like lots of time but need lots and lots of jumps). So that's what I'm aiming for, but you have to start at the beginning.

Daisies, is that the real reason you left the country, so you could be with your wife? :pac:

A colleague of mine has the same goal. He spent 2 weeks in the south of france last year with his club and doing close to 5 jumps a day if not more. Pretty much go up, jump, land, grab another chute, grab the next space available on the plane and repeat.

It was close to the french alps and the views and pics were amazing.

Didnt cost a fortune either apparently, much cheaper there than here and rarely did they get clouded in. I can get the details for you if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    A colleague of mine has the same goal. He spent 2 weeks in the south of france last year with his club and doing close to 5 jumps a day if not more. Pretty much go up, jump, land, grab another chute, grab the next space available on the plane and repeat.

It was close to the french alps and the views and pics were amazing.

Didnt cost a fortune either apparently, much cheaper there than here and rarely did they get clouded in. I can get the details for you if you like.

2 weeks skydiving near the French Alps sounds amazing TP, and I really appreciate the offer, but unfortunately I'm going to have to pass for now. The south of France is a long way from Vancouver, and I'm still trying to clear the debts I racked up moving here, so there won't even be a weekend away in the near future, never mind a fortnight in France. Thanks for the offer though. Really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

D'Agger wrote: »
    Saying hello to your wife??

You kept that fierce quiet Daisies, you dawwwg! :pac:

Sussshhhh. I told you that in confidence!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd imagine that if anyone needs an extra push to get out the plane door for the jump some of us would be willing to help. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'd imagine that if anyone needs an extra push to get out the plane door for the jump some of us would be willing to help. :pac:

feck pushing, I vote throwing.. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Or maybe...

father-dougal-presses-the-button.gif

World War II in colour - wonder show

• Advertisement

World War II in colour - wonder show

Is that the one they show in the History channel?

If, brilliant TV programme.

Things just look so much more real when in colour.

It's narrated by John Thaw too, Inspector Motha-f*ckin-Morse himself! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Mornin all,how goes it?

Had a strange one last night,an ex of mine,my last LTR invited me to connect on linked,haven't seen,spoken to or had any contact with her in over 3 years so I was surprised to say the least.

Obviously I ignored and deleted her request but it did shock me!

Weird Neccie. I don't understand people sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Necronos wrote: »
    Mornin all,how goes it?

Had a strange one last night,an ex of mine,my last LTR invited me to connect on linked,haven't seen,spoken to or had any contact with her in over 3 years so I was surprised to say the least.

morning dude!

This can happen when you set up a linkedin account - you connect it to your email and it emails all your contacts a connection request. Very easily done - so it could have just been that!

Mornin all,how goes it?

I really don't like LinkedIn....just sayin'

Nec had that myself a while back, you've saved yourself a headache there by not entertaining it, wp

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mornin all,how goes it?

I think that some people may just send an invitation to their entire gmail contacts list without reading through it and deselecting unsuitable connections. Often get really odd requests, e.g from a guy who did a quote for me once to fix a window handle in my apartment...eh no thanks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Is that the one they show in the History channel?

If, brilliant TV programme.

Things just look so much more real when in colour.
    There's actual history programmes on the history channel?! :eek:
    I stopped even checking what was on it ages ago because of a lack of history programmes :( I may have to start doing so again!

Off to see Drum Belly tonight, miamee :D

miamee wrote: »
    I think that some people may just send an invitation to their entire gmail contacts list without reading through it and deselecting unsuitable connections. Often get really odd requests, e.g from a guy who did a quote for me once to fix a window handle in my apartment...eh no thanks :pac:

I'm not on Linkedin, but there's probably a bit of ego massaging going in some cases, too - must have contacts, must have contacts...

Herm*, must pick your brain for advice on snacking across the work day. Trying to avoid the vending machine...Pumpkin seeds are no more. :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hermione* wrote: »
    There's actual history programmes on the history channel?! :eek:
    I stopped even checking what was on it ages ago because of a lack of history programmes :( I may have to start doing so again!

Off to see Drum Belly tonight, miamee :D

Woohoo! I really loved it but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Herm*, must pick your brain for advice on snacking across the work day. Trying to avoid the vending machine...Pumpkin seeds are no more. :cool:

Walnuts or almonds are a great snack. Not a bad idea to keep a tin of tuna/salmon etc in your drawer for emergency munchies...

Drinking lots of cold water should cut out the need to snack also.

As for LinkedIn, it's facebook for professionals... never saw the appeal of either tbh

Never saw the appeal of being a professional?!

Strange one that! :pac:

Never saw the appeal of being a professional?!

Strange one that! :pac:

Sarky grames_bond is sarky :p

You know I meant facebook & linkedin :P

Water all the way - no tea or coffee. We're fairly restricted in the food we can around the place. It would have to be non-oily/smelly, etc.

Water all the way - no tea or coffee. We're fairly restricted in the food we can around the place. It would have to be non-oily/smelly, etc.

How about something like avocado,hard boiled eggs or diced cooked chicken?

If you have access to a microwave you could bring in egg muffins/frittata etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It was defo intentional as the email addy I use for it,boards,faizebuke etc is one that I set up last year at some stage.

Meh,not a big deal anyway.I thought about emailing her and saying it would be weird as I'm seeing someone and some of my connections would have met her then I thought,screw you bitch,you broke my heart and i owe you nothing so blow it out yer ass!

:pac:

Yeah the whole LinkedIn thing is all about contacts, contacts and more contacts. Kinda like these people who have 1000+ friends on FB.. who the fook can class 1000+ people as friends???? :confused:

I don't use LinkedIn, never really saw the point and my boss commented on it one day. I just said, the day you see my LinkedIn account appearing is the day you know I'm looking for a new job.

He never mentioned it after that :pac: :D

So are we all in agreement that Linkedin is shít?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah you can't even perve properly on it because it tells them. ****ing jokeshop.

• Advertisement

Ahh I wouldnt say that, for positions like sales people, marketing etc, its handy as you have lists n lists to try and flog crap too, but for me as a techie, not very useful.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Linkedin has helped me get contracts, so I'd say it's very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

G'day Wednesday!

Panthro wrote: »
    G'day Wednesday!

And I'm saying G'night Wednesday

Right after I finish my lecture prep for my 7:45am class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

100% disagree! Linkedin got me a new job. It's the bees knees, cats pajamas and the shiz!!!

Companies solely hire through Linkedin in now.

Evening all. Had a savage feed if enchiladas cooked for me :D I'm now watching soccer!

Can ye use Linkedin whilst keeping weirdos/stalkers at bay?

• Advertisement

And I'm saying G'night Wednesday

Right after I finish my lecture prep for my 7:45am class!

G'night Daisies!
    Right after you finish your lecture prep for your 7:45am class!

Morning all! Had an amazing steak dinner last night then went to see avengers/iron man three double bill - epic night!

I advise everyone to go see iron man three......twice!

Got home at 3am, in work for 8am - coffee coffee coffee - now now now!

how is everyone?

Morning grames.

I'm bloody freezing, it's been lashing here solidly for about 15 hours (and I mean proper torrential). Woke me up numerous times in the night :(

Sitting in the office grading assignments with a permanent coffee beside me.

permanent coffee - now that sounds amazing!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah you can't even perve properly on it because it tells them. ****ing jokeshop.

Google + ftw :pac:
    Ahh I wouldnt say that, for positions like sales people, marketing etc, its handy as you have lists n lists to try and flog crap too, but for me as a techie, not very useful.

It's like mecca for recruiters - as a tech person I hate it too
    Pembily wrote: »
    100% disagree! Linkedin got me a new job. It's the bees knees, cats pajamas and the shiz!!!

Companies solely hire through Linkedin in now.

I call shenanigans on this! :pac:

I've been approached as recently as last week regarding positions but most of them aren't related to the line of IT I'm in - it seems that it's a site used by recruiters to cast a wide net and hope they catch a few good fish. Now, maybe that's fine, but it's annoying when you get a mail about a Tier 1 position when you're a sys admin with more than 2+ years experience.

Morning all! Had an amazing steak dinner last night then went to see avengers/iron man three double bill - epic night!

I advise everyone to go see iron man three......twice!

Got home at 3am, in work for 8am - coffee coffee coffee - now now now!

how is everyone?

Can't wait to see it - hopefully Sunday night I'll get to it :)

Sounds like a good evening though - well worth the tiredness today I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Can't wait to see it - hopefully Sunday night I'll get to it :)

Sounds like a good evening though - well worth the tiredness today I'd imagine.

Absolutely - I was fearing the worst this morning - but I am fine! not even tired anymore! :)

*awaits the massive crash later on :pac:

Absolutely - I was fearing the worst this morning - but I am fine! not even tired anymore! :)

*awaits the massive crash later on :pac:
    It's coming alright I'd say :pac:

1edc3288be1f44db9b13ffab9f1d975d_2.jpg?repository=4

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

I'm slumped over the desk like a dead bumble bee.

It's coming alright I'd say :pac:

1edc3288be1f44db9b13ffab9f1d975d_2.jpg?repository=4

Vente americano to the rescue!

god bless starbucks!

GoldCobra wrote: »
    I'm slumped over the desk like a dead bumble bee.

Dang your username, now I'm Limp Bizkit'ing it up Golden Cobra in my head!
    Grames has given me a fantastic idea..Iron man!

Panthro wrote: »
    Grames has given me a fantastic idea..Iron man!

Thank me later!! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Woot, off to Poznan tomorrow for the weekend.

Have to organise stuff tonight, but all I want to is sleep... and eat... and fall asleep into my food while I eat...

Woot, off to Poznan tomorrow for the weekend.

Have to organise stuff tonight, but all I want to is sleep... and eat... and fall asleep into my food while I eat...

Nice one, how's the leg btw?

Mon ta fook weekend!..Just under two more hours!
    Myself and the housemates bought an Xbox during the week, I had my first experience at Halo last night. I've never really played 1st person shooters before, it's pretty cool!

tekken tag!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement