Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness n' Rollies 2: Off Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

So happy to be back in work this morning :pac:

At least there's coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

So happy to be back in work this morning :pac:

At least there's coffee.

The good news is that Monday is over though. Week only gets better from here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How's life in Canada, Kev? Any cultural oddities we should be aware of?

Tiring and expensive. Working 45+ hours most weeks. Not too long left now though. I was planning to go home for 5 days at the end of July, but I'm going to wrap up things here and move back home. I'm being a little bitch and moving back to be closer to family.

Cultural oddities? Believe it or not, nothing springs to mind. Drugs appear to be remarkably easy to get your hands on here, but maybe that just reflects more on the type of people I'm associated with. Am...I'm really drawing a blank here. Panthro has been here longer, he probably knows more than I do.

How're things with yourself TBO? Anything strange with you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

All grand here. Writing up policy stuff for work, planning stuff around that for the summer...keep the boss happy. :P Trying to take advantage of the good weather when it shows up.

If I'm honest, writing up policy stuff doesn't sound like much fun. If I was in charge of that there would be very few policies. The main one would probably be "Don't be a dick." That seems to cover a lot of bases. :pac:

Ha, yeah, heard ye pawned all your rain off on Europe for a while there. Village in Austria got two months worth of rain in two days I think. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,320 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Happy Friday! One week to payday.

Rally weekend here. So a weekend of avoiding the rally ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm after flicking an elastic band at the girl in HR for no real reason.
    Hit her in the girly bits.
    She must be delighted I'm finishing up this day next week!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

nice, i just burnt my finger on the damn pan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I just had savage bacon and eggs,noice.

Panthro wrote: »
    I'm after flicking an elastic band at the girl in HR for no real reason.
    Hit her in the girly bits.
    She must be delighted I'm finishing up this day next week!:pac:

Easy targets or good aim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

The old question..... anybody out there knows of a good cure for hangover? I drank my weight in Bulmers yesterday

Jesus what a day :D

Taking back Sunday with some sweet potato. :pac:

Saw the new Superman last night. Not a bad way to keep yourself entertained for two hours or so.
    Did anyone else notice how Superman doesn't give a single f*ck about collateral damage? Leveled at least two skyscrapers in Metropolis, and took massive chunks out of about a dozen more. He also destroyed like half of that small town. And then the drone at the end. He's an expensive bastard to clean up after.

I liked it, mostly. I thought one key weakness was the lack of depth in the relationships between the characters, though not in all cases.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with that. Slightly unrelated, I saw it in 3D, and I was pleasantly surprised at how passive it was. Some films seem to just throw stuff at you to try and make use of the 3D, but I didn't notice that with this. It was more for subtle emphasis, like Toy Story 3.

I should go to the Greek festival today. It's only 5 blocks away. But I've been out the last two nights and the laziness is overcoming me. Only thing is that I'm nearly out of sugar, so to avoid having to go to the shop I have to ration out my tea drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

So.....whaddimiss?

:)

Saw Man of Steel before I drove to Dublin for the flight - really liked it but thought they could have done with slightly less action, and more on the Man himself struggling with his powers as a youngster - thought they breezed over it slightly.

That said - very hard movie to get right and they made a damn good stab at it so was very pleased with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Morning all.

You back from hols already D'Agger???

I've forgotten where D'Agger is off to on his hols, though going from the above he may be hanging out on Kryptonite. :pac:

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Morning all.

You back from hols already D'Agger???

Morning - back since Saturday and back to work this morning. I'm going to miss my midday naps, I'd gotten used to them :(
    I've forgotten where D'Agger is off to on his hols, though going from the above he may be hanging out on Kryptonite. :pac:

Zakynthos doesn't sound 100miles away from it either when you think about it :pac:

• Advertisement

Krypton...I couldn't even get the name right. :o

Krypton...I couldn't even get the name right. :o
    I didn't judge you for it...

:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

D'Agger wrote: »
    Morning - back since Saturday and back to work this morning. I'm going to miss my midday naps, I'd gotten used to them :(

Zakynthos doesn't sound 100miles away from it either when you think about it :pac:

So what did u think of it? Was there about 10 years ago, wonder if its changed much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Man Of Steel.
    Starts off well, is far too bloody rushed though and the action sequences are far too repetitive. You know you're bored when all you can think about is how many people died in those collapsing buildings. At least with Batman, he had a moral compass. Superman just doesn't give a fúck.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    So what did u think of it? Was there about 10 years ago, wonder if its changed much?
    Loved it man, we were in Kalamaki and I don't think it's changed much. Somebody mentioned to us that there's a loophole for tax regarding buildings - so there's loads of shells of buildings around that just haven't been completed but that's on the outskirts.

We were in a family oriented place but that was fine, we relaxed, went on slides in the waterpark which was actually quite good, played table tennis, soaked up the 30 degree heat and zero cloud cover!

We went drinking in the local Irish bar as they had acoustic music and we ended up becoming very friendly with some of the bar staff and the two musicians - our last night we ended up going to a beach party until sunrise then went for a swim until 7am with them.

The night we hit Laganas the brits on tour part of the island, we felt reeeeally old but ended up meeting the lads and clubbing until 9am, day after that we hungoverly rented a jeep, took the roof off it, had a nice drive down the coast and went Jet Skiing.

Best Holiday I've been on given the company, weather, relaxed but also crazy vibe there. Would recommend!

I've no holiday plans for this year, but even so, where would folks here recommend for a short break? Am not a party animal, or much of a fan of the sun (milk bottle skin syndrome). :cool: Have been to far few countries around Europe, so trying to think of somewhere new. Or, there's always the Grand Canyon next year. :pac:

I've no holiday plans for this year, but even so, where would folks here recommend for a short break? Am not a party animal, or much of a fan of the sun (milk bottle skin syndrome). :cool: Have been to far few countries around Europe, so trying to think of somewhere new. Or, there's always the Grand Canyon next year. :pac:
    Amsterdam is actually a lovely city, went in November and remember thinking it'd be beautiful around Spring/Summer

Barcelona is always a good cheap(ish) destination to go to.

If you have some funds, Nice in France is lovely but expensive

Amsterdam - good shout.

Nice, expensive? How expensive? It's been suggested I check out the Camino de Santiago some time.

Amsterdam - good shout.

Nice, expensive? How expensive? It's been suggested I check out the Camino de Santiago some time.
    Don't think flights were too expensive, and general costs there were fine although we ate junk food a bit.

One piece of advice, stay central in the city, pay the extra money for the hotel, we were a taxi and a train journey to our hotel and the taxi drivers we experienced were very ignorant as a result of us requiring a short fare from the airport, you wouldn't believe how rude they were to us. At least when you're central you have the option of casually strolling back to the hotel for a bit.

I've heard the Camino de Santiago is class also from a few people I know who've done it.

Thanks.

That goes on here as well. If you get a taxi from the airport to Swords...with some drivers.

Any word on when tGC tapes will be released? Another mod, another billion. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I've heard the Camino de Santiago is class also from a few people I know who've done it.
    Agreed.
    Though they are getting a shítty summer weatherwise this year over in northern Spain. It's picking up though. You'd be surprised the high number of Irish people that fly to Santiago to walk it, or the other routes,

There are a few of these things around Europe - Spain, Italy, France, I think.

GR-10's another one I've been told to look into.

4827fdff_tumbleweed.gif

A distant ship's smoke on the horizon...

"A little too quiet!"

I feel like something big is being plotted...

Don't let on you know but they're planning your surprise party

Awesome! You guys are the best!

Don't worry, I'm great at keeping secrets. My acting isn't the best, but I'm not home for another month (actually exactly a month) so I can use that time to practice my surprised face.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Morning all, hope good weekends were had :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Actually had the loveliest weekend that I have had in ages! So nice :)

miamee wrote: »
    Actually had the loveliest weekend that I have had in ages! So nice :)
    There's no rule against elaboration miamee :pac:

Went home to Killarney Saturday after staying in and relaxing Friday night watching loads of New Girl, slept loads at home and ate well, finished off by getting some nice shirts for work in Burton and one or two other bits before returning to Cork, heading to the gym and then taking it easy for the evening.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There's no rule against elaboration miamee :pac:

Went home to Killarney Saturday after staying in and relaxing Friday night watching loads of New Girl, slept loads at home and ate well, finished off by getting some nice shirts for work in Burton and one or two other bits before returning to Cork, heading to the gym and then taking it easy for the evening.

What, they don't charge per letter any more? :P

I was at Riverdance on Friday - brilliant, honestly, I didn't know what to expect but I really enjoyed it. Headed in to watch the Pride parade on Saturday and managed to be right in the thick of the protest that stopped it for a time on O'Connell Street - typical me :pac: - and was at the cinema on Sunday with my best friend and her two little girls. Big thumbs up for Monster's University :D

What, they don't charge per letter any more? :P

I was at Riverdance on Friday - brilliant, honestly, I didn't know what to expect but I really enjoyed it. Headed in to watch the Pride parade on Saturday and managed to be right in the thick of the protest that stopped it for a time on O'Connell Street - typical me :pac: - and was at the cinema on Sunday with my best friend and her two little girls. Big thumbs up for Monster's University :D
    I watched Monsters Inc. on Saturday at home - seriously Pixar movies are the business!

I watched Monsters Inc. on Saturday at home - seriously Pixar movies are the business!

Ha, me too in preparation for Sunday :D I have watched nothing but kid's films over the past two weekends, it's great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Had a quiet weekend myself.

Myself and herself cleaned the house from top to bottom,went for food and cinema date Saturday night them yesterday had a ridiculously delicious home cooked fillet steak dinner with all the trimmings.

For anyone that hasn't tried em,the fillet steaks from Lidl are the flipping business.

Had a quiet weekend myself.

Myself and herself cleaned the house from top to bottom,went for food and cinema date Saturday night them yesterday had a ridiculously delicious home cooked fillet steak dinner with all the trimmings.

For anyone that hasn't tried em,the fillet steaks from Lidl are the flipping business.

You can't beat a good steak :)

What you go see?

Got my hands on Cloud Atlas and Requiem for a Dream so must try watch them this week.

You can't beat a good steak :)

What you go see?

Got my hands on Cloud Atlas and Requiem for a Dream so must try watch them this week.

I started reading Cloud Atlas a few weeks ago and stopped about halfway through. I really wasn't enjoying it at all. It' unusual for me to leave a book unfinished but it was starting to feel like a chore to read it rather than something enjoyable. Have you read it or just going to watch the film?

I started reading Cloud Atlas a few weeks ago and stopped about halfway through. I really wasn't enjoying it at all. It' unusual for me to leave a book unfinished but it was starting to feel like a chore to read it rather than something enjoyable. Have you read it or just going to watch the film?

Just watching it I'd imagine - I'm awful for books, I finished Gatsby on hols and I've a couple of chapters of 1984 read but that's about it - I'll try to finish 1984 in the next few weeks because I have one or two more classics I want to read also

Just watching it I'd imagine - I'm awful for books, I finished Gatsby on hols and I've a couple of chapters of 1984 read but that's about it - I'll try to finish 1984 in the next few weeks because I have one or two more classics I want to read also

Oh wait - I think we have had this book convo before :D Am readinf 'Inferno' now (Dan Brown new one) as I knew once I got a few chapters in, I'd rip through it. Dying to read a bit later (cue the groans from the book snobs :pac:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement