Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness n' Rollies 2: Off Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

D'Agger wrote: »
    Nope, picked up a cheap acoustic about 6 weeks ago and been tipping away with it, still quite poor but able to churn out one or two songs at the moment and I'm able to give it time due to a lack of football or general fitness work :pac:

I took it up around 8 years ago, and have become more and more addicted to it. I don't take it seriously at all, even though I've done a few gigs when asked, but its such a stress reliever and a fantastic way to chill out, relax, and pass the time.

Moved to Dublin about 5 weeks ago and couldn't get the guitar up with me for a few weeks, really realise how much you miss it then.

You're probably at the early stage when you get blisters on your fingers, but its worth it down the line :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Wrecked after the gym

going again in morning

tough getting up and in for 7 but it will be worth it in the long run
    Back to the gym this evening after weeks of laziness and a week away on the lash. Damage wasn't as bad as I had feared but still I'm pretty shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Wrecked after the gym

going again in morning

tough getting up and in for 7 but it will be worth it in the long run

Hoping to get in tonight and do some cardio, then hopefully back again tomorrow morning, like yourself, in for 7 or so.

Need to make out a plan tonight and give it a proper 6 weeks.
    Barna77 wrote: »
    Back to the gym this evening after weeks of laziness and a week away on the lash. Damage wasn't as bad as I had feared but still I'm pretty shattered.

Ata boy Barna :)
    Knex. wrote: »
    I took it up around 8 years ago, and have become more and more addicted to it. I don't take it seriously at all, even though I've done a few gigs when asked, but its such a stress reliever and a fantastic way to chill out, relax, and pass the time.

Moved to Dublin about 5 weeks ago and couldn't get the guitar up with me for a few weeks, really realise how much you miss it then.

You're probably at the early stage when you get blisters on your fingers, but its worth it down the line :D

Yeah the fingers are after toughening up a bit now. Same as yourself, it's a great way to relax and take your mind off things, I'd regularly come home from work in crap form and work away on it for a few minutes, instantly in a better place after.

Have been playing one or two songs non stop on capo 6 & capo 3 - was feeling pretty good about my speed in changing chords, went back to the top of the fretboard yesterday evening for a song....dear god the frets seem like an eternity away from each other, it was awful! :pac:

Hoping to get in tonight and do some cardio, then hopefully back again tomorrow morning, like yourself, in for 7 or so.

Need to make out a plan tonight and give it a proper 6 weeks.

Ata boy Barna :)

Yeah the fingers are after toughening up a bit now. Same as yourself, it's a great way to relax and take your mind off things, I'd regularly come home from work in crap form and work away on it for a few minutes, instantly in a better place after.

Have been playing one or two songs non stop on capo 6 & capo 3 - was feeling pretty good about my speed in changing chords, went back to the top of the fretboard yesterday evening for a song....dear god the frets seem like an eternity away from each other, it was awful! :pac:

Although probably not recommended in the long run, on Ultimate-guitar.com you can transpose songs up or down, depending on how you want to play it.

So if you're playing a G chord with no capo, pop it on the 2nd fret and play F (Down two), or 3rd fret and play E. 5th Fret is D then, etc, etc.
    If you've started using Barr Chords already then this will probably already make sense. I know with me though I didn't get around to forcing myself to face them for ages after I started. Talking a few years before my fingers fully felt comfortable with them!

It changes all the chords up and down for you anyway, depending on what way you transpose, so you can set it to a level that has the most familiar chords to you and then put the Capo accordingly.

Basically:
    Transpose down -> Capo Up.
    Transpose Up -> Capo Down.

I kind of rushed this post, but I hope that makes sense :P Also, if you know this already, my bad!

Cheers for that.

TBQH I'm only looking on ultimate guitar for songs I'd enjoy playing and I just try to learn them, that said it means that I've covered the main chords by now so hopefully with time I'll move towards bar chords.

Still trying to just get comfortable switching between chords.

If I haven't already mentioned, I'm left handed playing a right handed guitar....upside down :pac: - still, no issues so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Cheers for that.

TBQH I'm only looking on ultimate guitar for songs I'd enjoy playing and I just try to learn them, that said it means that I've covered the main chords by now so hopefully with time I'll move towards bar chords.

If I haven't already mentioned, I'm left handed playing a right handed guitar....upside down :pac: - still, no issues so far :)

Are you still doing that. ..didn't you just get a new one? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

i attempted guitar a few years back, twas a disaster , music is not one of my talents :pac:

back in work today after few days off, great break

Mulling over going to the International Rules Series Sat week, I go to a lot of GAA but never went to this, anyone ever been?

Cheers for that.

Ah yeah. Like I said, took me a good while before I ever even looked at them.

I used to sit for hours when I first started just going from one chord to another, long after the blisters started on the fingers and without playing any particular song. Try again next day and your hand would be in bits before you ever started :D

Anyway, enjoy man :)

Are you still doing that. ..didn't you just get a new one? :pac:

I....don't get this :confused:

How's teaching going?

I....don't get this :confused:

How's teaching going?

...Didn't you start off playing a right handed guitar upside down? Did you go buy another right handed one? :confused:

That's next week, this week is planning. Exhausted doesn't even begin to cover it...I even have my phone and computer set to an hour fast to fool myself into working quicker :pac: It's surprisingly effective!

• Advertisement

...Didn't you start off playing a right handed guitar upside down? Did you go buy another right handed one? :confused:

That's next week, this week is planning. Exhausted doesn't even begin to cover it...I even have my phone and computer set to an hour fast to fool myself into working quicker :pac: It's surprisingly effective!
    That would depress me moreso than make me work more effectively I think!

I started off that way alright, didn't think I had said it here though....I never mentioned getting a new guitar though :confused: - stop confusing meeeeeee!! :pac:

That would depress me moreso than make me work more effectively I think!

I started off that way alright, didn't think I had said it here though....I never mentioned getting a new guitar though :confused: - stop confusing meeeeeee!! :pac:

No, you said it in a PM I think, you dope :pac:

I know, it's weird but sure fcukit if it works it works. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's 4.30 and I have work to do!

No, you said it in a PM I think, you dope :pac:

I know, it's weird but sure fcukit if it works it works. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's 4.30 and I have work to do!
    Apologies....dear! :D

G'wan, enjoy the prep work, hope it goes well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is this the part where someone makes a joke about the difference between guitars and teachers?
    Yeah, I'll stop here before I get a slap. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

sore after the gym this morning but was good workout

playing soccer for 1st time in months tomorrow as i'm free of Gaa training

will be able to put up bosses crappy attitude in work tomorrow as at least i will have something to look forward to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Interview yesterday, one today and another tomorrow! It never ends.

In other news, Chocolate covered Brazil nuts and tea is a lovely combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Cheers for that.

So, what? The low E string is at the bottom?

Kev.OC wrote: »

I assumed he restrung it. Hope so anyway! :D

Aye, a strum down for a right handed person is a strum up for me
    I assumed he restrung it. Hope so anyway! :D

Nope - and it's working suprisingly well - I'll forward on a vid or something if you want to see how it works!

I decided to do it this way so that I could pick up a guitar at a session or something and play it without going 'oh can't play, left handed'

• Advertisement

Nope - and it's working suprisingly well - I'll forward on a vid or something if you want to see how it works!

I decided to do it this way so that I could pick up a guitar at a session or something and play it without going 'oh can't play, left handed'

That's rather impressive, I must say :)

And yeah, sure thing. Would love to see how you do it.

Do you know how many hours I slept last night? No hours. I slept no hours. Last I've slept was Monday night from 3 -7.

I shouldn't be this awake or productive right now...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Do you know how many hours I slept last night? No hours. I slept no hours. Last I've slept was Monday night from 3 -7.

You popping those coloured pills again?? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Used to work nights, every now and then when I was off id go the odd night without sleep, then hit pub that evening and end up in an awful jocker altogether :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Got absolutely soaked this morning. I'll never feel dry again.

That's rather impressive, I must say :)

Yeah, I get that alot :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What did the bus driver say to the man with no arms and no legs?
    How are you getting on? :o :pac:

Stealing jokes from my 4 year old cousin...

What did the bus driver say to the man with no arms and no legs?
    How are you getting on? :o :pac:

Stealing jokes from my 4 year old cousin...

If a four year old told me that, I'd die laughing :D

As someone who plays a left-handed guitar, I would be lost without that excuse. Anytime I'm at a session and don't want to play I wheel it out.

What sort of tunes do you play?

None if I can get away with it! :pac:

I'd usually be playing at family parties, so lots of old stuff. Bigger names may sometimes include The Eagles, The Who and The Boss. Haven't played in about 18 months though. If I could string three chords together now I'd be very happy.

• Advertisement

If a four year old told me that, I'd die laughing :D

Ditto, that's some early comical promise!
    As someone who plays a left-handed guitar, I would be lost without that excuse. Anytime I'm at a session and don't want to play I wheel it out.

I could probably still get away with that depending on the company I'm in :D
    What sort of tunes do you play?

Learning/Trying my hand at the following over the past few weeks:

Candy - Paulo Nutini
    Amsterdam - Coldplay
    The Scientist - Coldplay
    Viva la Viva - Coldplay
    I need your love - Calvin Harris
    Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine show

Been giving loads of time to 'I wasn't expecting that' by Jamie Lawson - love that song

Ditto, that's some early comical promise!

I could probably still get away with that depending on the company I'm in :D

Learning/Trying my hand at the following over the past few weeks:

Candy - Paulo Nutini
    Amsterdam - Coldplay
    The Scientist - Coldplay
    Viva la Viva - Coldplay
    I need your love - Calvin Harris
    Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine show

Been giving loads of time to 'I wasn't expecting that' by Jamie Lawson - love that song

Nice selection. Not the easiest in terms of beat, and even some chord changes, to be starting off on, so kudos again for that.

I wasn't expecting that, is a great song! Felt almost cheated though when I found out he made it all up and it wasn't actually from a life experience. Dude puts some emotion into the song that I was shocked, tbh.

Nice selection. Not the easiest in terms of beat, and even some chord changes, to be starting off on, so kudos again for that.

I wasn't expecting that, is a great song! Felt almost cheated though when I found out he made it all up and it wasn't actually from a life experience. Dude puts some emotion into the song that I was shocked, tbh.

I thought he wrote the song for the opening scenes in Up - the song is used in the movie I'm fairly certain. After looking into it I'm incorrect!

I can only play that one because it's on Capo6 so I can play F....kinda! :pac: barring that it's just G, Am, Em, C, D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

tough week in work

tgif and i can relax for weekend

was meant to be going tomorrow but peeps have pulled out

pity as i could have used few pints and letting off bit of steam

How's everybody after the weekend?

Ended up going into MGMT in the Savoy last night and having a few pints, good to see somewhat better gigs coming into Cork

Must get up to Dublin soon for a night out!

How's everybody after the weekend?

Ended up going into MGMT in the Savoy last night and having a few pints, good to see somewhat better gigs coming into Cork

Must get up to Dublin soon for a night out!

How did you find them, and the Savoy as a gig venue, actually?

Really liked some of their stuff on their first album, but they seemingly went off the boil then. They play any of their new stuff?

Never quite sure what to make of the Savoy as its just so big, and laid out funny. Haven't been there for any real gig though, so could well be great for the likes of MGMT.

Any good? Saw them three years ago. Live they were quite disappointing so didn't buy tickets for last Saturday's gig in the Olympia. I know some people that were there and they all agree it was crap.

Had a quiet weekend, no booze :eek: Looking forward to the long weekend, want to get out of Dublin

How did you find them, and the Savoy as a gig venue, actually?

Really liked some of their stuff on their first album, but they seemingly went off the boil then. They play any of their new stuff?

Never quite sure what to make of the Savoy as its just so big, and laid out funny. Haven't been there for any real gig though, so could well be great for the likes of MGMT.

I liked the stuff they had circa 2008 as did pretty much the entire nation, I got free tickets, I most definitely wouldn't have paid to see them.

That said I thought they were decent, O Emperor were on before them and they were pretty good in fairness

The Savoy was good - we were up in the stands near the bar as opposed to down below near the stage (priorities :)) but the sound was still okay...not unreal but for where we were it was good. The girl who served myself and my buddies was absolutely shocking at her job though - constantly forgot one drink - when you're ordering two pints, it's nearly an effort for somebody to fúck it up, yet it happened about 3/4 times
    Barna77 wrote: »
    Any good? Saw them three years ago. Live they were quite disappointing so didn't buy tickets for last Saturday's gig in the Olympia. I know some people that were there and they all agree it was crap.

Had a quiet weekend, no booze :eek: Looking forward to the long weekend, want to get out of Dublin

Had heard they weren't great live but I thought they were good last night, enjoyed the gig

Can't wait for Jazz weekend this Friday, should be unreal!

I liked the stuff they had circa 2008 as did pretty much the entire nation, I got free tickets, I most definitely wouldn't have paid to see them.

That said I thought they were decent, O Emperor were on before them and they were pretty good in fairness

The Savoy was good - we were up in the stands near the bar as opposed to down below near the stage (priorities :)) but the sound was still okay...not unreal but for where we were it was good. The girl who served myself and my buddies was absolutely shocking at her job though - constantly forgot one drink - when you're ordering two pints, it's nearly an effort for somebody to fúck it up, yet it happened about 3/4 times

Had heard they weren't great live but I thought they were good last night, enjoyed the gig

Can't wait for Jazz weekend this Friday, should be unreal!

Cheers for that.

This weekend has been on my mind for ages. Going back to Cork, meet up with all the lads, have my birthday on Monday, and I graduate on Tuesday.

Cannot wait for it, in all honesty.

Work back up in Dublin on Wednesday morning will be horrendous, but a small price to pay really!

Cheers for that.

This weekend has been on my mind for ages. Going back to Cork, meet up with all the lads, have my birthday on Monday, and I graduate on Tuesday.

Cannot wait for it, in all honesty.

Work back up in Dublin on Wednesday morning will be horrendous, but a small price to pay really!
    Ah another disciple of Jazz for the weekend :D

Nice one man, sounds like a great weekend, I'll drop you a PM at some stage to see if you're around for a pint or something - I'll probably be going wherever the lads are but on the off chance we end up in the same spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ah another disciple of Jazz for the weekend :D

Nice one man, sounds like a great weekend, I'll drop you a PM at some stage to see if you're around for a pint or something - I'll probably be going wherever the lads are but on the off chance we end up in the same spot!

I wouldn't be making any particular plans if I were you....

rampage.gif

keane2097 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be making any particular plans if I were you....
    Sure I normally only see you on the Friday man :pac:

I absolutely love Archer. :D

Danger Zone!

I absolutely love Archer. :D

Danger Zone!
    Seriously, read a book :pac:

Seriously, read a book :pac:

tumblr_mltlu08DCU1r91mjso1_500.gif

:P:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sure I normally only see you on the Friday man :pac:

That's cos ye always stay in Douglas after one hard night at it. I won't be down till Saturday this week anyway.

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's cos ye always stay in Douglas after one hard night at it. I won't be down till Saturday this week anyway.
    Did the lads go out in Douglas last year? I was captain sober due to the County final :(

I distinctly remember waking up Saturday morning with nobody in the house - which was weird since there were supposed to be about 8 or so staying over!

Cool, cool, we're planning a good one on Friday but hopefully shouldn't be too hungover!

GTA V.

Let's do this! :mad: :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

GTA V.

Let's do this! :mad: :pac:

a perfect night for it :-D

• Advertisement

Had a few tonight.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement