Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness n' Rollies 2: Off Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The Electric I picked up is a Washburn WI14 G4. Random Internet Pic below :D

549801152.jpg

Not sure how I feel about having Che on it, but its just for my own use to mess around with anyway, so not really a problem to be honest. Main thing was the neck of the guitar is nice and it plays well. For a relatively cheap guitar (picked it up for 150), its ideal.

My acoustic I put a lot of money into (Taylor 314), so was happy to find an affordable electric that still felt nice to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D'Agger wrote: »
    In fairness, it looked like a cracker, United were very unlucky not to score at least one, but Everton are a much better team now than they were under Moyes, solid at the back, better MF with McCarthy & Barry, pace & power with Lukaku, Mirallas etc. - things are going well for them right now.

I only saw the second half but would say from that Everton deserved the win. I like Everton. Good team. Few Irish lads aswell which can't be a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Knex. wrote: »
    The Electric I picked up is a Washburn WI14 G4. Random Internet Pic below :D

549801152.jpg

Not sure how I feel about having Che on it, but its just for my own use to mess around with anyway, so not really a problem to be honest. Main thing was the neck of the guitar is nice and it plays well. For a relatively cheap guitar (picked it up for 150), its ideal.

My acoustic I put a lot of money into (Taylor 314), so was happy to find an affordable electric that still felt nice to play.
    That's nice and tbh man, if you're not happy with the Ché pic, you could definitely look to do some DIY work on it - there's loads of tutorials online - that spanish one is a write off for me so I'd nearly be tempted to see what I could do with it if I sanded it down and tried to put my own stamp on it.

Here's the guitar I'd love - Tanglewood Roadster - thing is it's expensive enough at €270 and I'm still only messing around with chords, must look into powerchords & picking yet, maybe then invest.

Getting a loan of the electric guitar could be a massive coup for me though, it's deep blue too so I love the look of it, hopefully the sound too!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Cock. Got my days/dates mixed up. Just got an email to tell me I missed my NCT this afternoon. :mad:

And just to add insult to poverty, I found out today I'm gone up to a 35" waist. :(

Some nice looking guitars there gents.

Mine is the same make and colour as this, but not cut-away.

sx-dg25ce-electro-acoustic-guitar-.jpg

Ohh....a fine looking guitar there Kev

Here's my cheap-o Harley Benton €45 of joy! :)

• Advertisement

Here's the guitar I'd love - Tanglewood Roadster - thing is it's expensive enough at €270 and I'm still only messing around with chords, must look into powerchords & picking yet, maybe then invest.

I would say that for a guitar, €270 isn't that bad. Reason being, its a genuine asset. You can recoup the majority of that again if you need to sell. Heck, that guitar looks like you could still get 150 for it in five years time. So its a worthy investment.

That Taylor of mine, and ye're probably going to slap me, but I got it five or six years ago when I was 17/18, and it cost me a grand. I could easily sell it for that still as I actually got it brand new on the cheap side in, what is now sadly closed, Crowleys in Cork.

Took out a Credit Union loan at the time, with help from my parents, and have never regretted it as its an absolute joy to play. Genuinely, number 1 on list of things to save when house is on fire type purchase.

I'm not saying go out and spend that money, especially when you're starting off, but just giving another perspective on putting some funds towards a guitar such as one you mentioned :)

€270 for a guitar is grand. Mine was ~€300, as a birthday present 9 years ago (pretty much exactly to the week, actually) and it still sounds as good as the day I got it.

Dad has been playing the same guitar for as long as I can remember. There's a decent chance the thing is older than I am. Some wear and tear, naturally, but sounds as good as anything you'd buy today. As Knex says they genuinely are an investment, if you play them of course.

A friend of mine splashed out €650 for a Strat a number of years ago. His reasoning was that if he was going to learn he wanted to learn on something decent. It's right handed, and I can string together more chords on it than he can.

Moral of the story, no amount of money is too much (well, within reason) if you use it and enjoy using it.

Alright lads I get it, you've got expensive guitars :pac:

That's some top notch parenting there too Knex - getting you a good credit rating at 17 :D

I think I'll get it - especially if they take one for all vouchers, got one as a work bonus - gona spend it on something stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Can all of you guys with these love items sing as well.....ive always wanted to learn to play but havent a note in my head :P so never seen the point.

i suppose i could just strum along at home :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Also hello !

I lurk a lot but rarely post!

• Advertisement

1. Happy birthday Kev.OC :D

2. Welcome, drifter!

And yeah, I can sign a bit. Your voice is a muscle so you'd be surprised how it comes along. Playing guitar and signing in my bedroom since I was 13, and both guitar and voice have come a long way, if nothing spectacular.

Doesn't really matter if you can or not anyway, I barely played outside of my bedroom for years :D

Actually, just remembered, I threw up a soundcloud recently for someone who wanted to hear a recording or two. Its fairly hatchet as recordings are from a phone, and I've kept it well hidden from those who know me, but I'm on the interwebz nonetheless :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yesterday two couples I'm pretty close friends with got engaged, and another announced their second kid is on the way. I go for dinner at my mate's place and he and his other half start telling me about a lovely fixer-upper house they saw at the weekend. Another mate joins us and barely detaches from her boyfriend all evening. I arrive home late, collapse into bed and can hear my loved-up flatmate giggling away with his girlfriend.

I blame my friend who got married earlier in the year. He had to touch that damn domino.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just tired, hungover and cranky.

Hello drifter!

Unfortunately I can't sing. Every time I tried all the women in the vicinity would go weak at the knees and fall over. My voice was thus deemed a public health risk and I received a cease and desist order.

It's the cross I bare. :p :pac:

Seriously thought, I'm alright I guess.

Wow Pepe, I couldn't tolerate that. Maybe being single for so long has made me bitter and cynical, but seeing all those happy couples would drive me mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Happy Friday Gents. Any plans for the weekend?
    I'll be keeping the beering to a minimum tonight as I have a 5K first thing in the morning. Will most likely write and post all the Christmas cards along with a few online purchases for Christmas presents.
    We are also considering starting on season 1 of the Wire again.

Can all of you guys with these love items sing as well.....ive always wanted to learn to play but havent a note in my head :P so never seen the point.

i suppose i could just strum along at home :P

I can sing certain songs okay-ish but they're rare so I'll go with an overall majority vote of 'No' on this one :pac:

It's just as relaxing to try and put a melody together though so give it a bash

Since yesterday I've handed over my two acoustics to get restrung by my buddy and took a loan of his electric and amp - lovely guitar but I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd thought - needs more messing around!
    Also hello !

I lurk a lot but rarely post!

Post away bud, welcome :)
    Yesterday two couples I'm pretty close friends with got engaged, and another announced their second kid is on the way. I go for dinner at my mate's place and he and his other half start telling me about a lovely fixer-upper house they saw at the weekend. Another mate joins us and barely detaches from her boyfriend all evening. I arrive home late, collapse into bed and can hear my loved-up flatmate giggling away with his girlfriend.

I blame my friend who got married earlier in the year. He had to touch that damn domino.

Laughed so much at this - sorry man but that's like an advert for a shít day!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Happy Friday Gents. Any plans for the weekend?
    I'll be keeping the beering to a minimum tonight as I have a 5K first thing in the morning. Will most likely write and post all the Christmas cards along with a few online purchases for Christmas presents.
    We are also considering starting on season 1 of the Wire again.

Enjoy the 5k PR, enjoy The Wire more because DO IT!!! :D

I'm out tonight for a few with a lady and then up to Dublin tomorrow for shopping in Dundrum and a night out with the lads - can't wait to get up there!

Ah you gotta learn to restring your guitar yourself! Fair play to your buddy though, I wouldn't do it for love nor money :D

First time you do it, it can be fairly torturous. Have gotten one or two nasty cuts through the years too, but they were just me being an idiot :pac:

You do feel like a boss when its done and you've lovely new strings though.

Ah you gotta learn to restring your guitar yourself! Fair play to your buddy though, I wouldn't do it for love nor money :D

First time you do it, it can be fairly torturous. Have gotten one or two nasty cuts through the years too, but they were just me being an idiot :pac:

You do feel like a boss when its done and you've lovely new strings though.
    My mate is in a band, plays drums, bass & guitar so he loves doing this kind of stuff I'd imagine, plus I'll pay him with a musical gift hopefully :)

I'll look to restring the older spanish guitar when the strings start to go on it and work from there I'd say

Any plans for the weekend?

No major plans. Similar to yours, but in reverse.

Probably out with lads tonight, and then tomorrow with the lady friend.

Then again, one or two from home are up here in Dublin this weekend, so lady friend may well be postponed on Saturday, or at least relegated to a co-op event :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You got a date D'Aggs?

G'wan ya boy ya!

:pac:

Tonight I have a team night out, dinner and drinks job, aiming for an early night as tomorrow I have the 12 pubs of Christmas.

Should be savage!

• Advertisement

I never did a 12 pubs of Christmas. In fact I only heard of it about 3 years ago when I started a new job. I may go for the more sedate 1 pub of Christmas tomorrow night or more likely the 6 pack of Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Must be date weekend so. Same here :D

Go on D'Agger!

I'm off today. Early gym session this morning after a few beers sitting by the fire last night. Headed into town after gym. Place is mental packed!

No major plans. Similar to yours, but in reverse.

Probably out with lads tonight, and then tomorrow with the lady friend.

Then again, one or two from home are up here in Dublin this weekend, so lady friend may well be postponed on Saturday, or at least relegated to a co-op event :D

Co-op event - that way there's less of a burden for you to create conversation - let your buddies do the talking, 9 times out of 10 they'll slag the living shíte out of you but still - laziness ftw! :)
    You got a date D'Aggs?

G'wan ya boy ya!

:pac:

Tonight I have a team night out, dinner and drinks job, aiming for an early night as tomorrow I have the 12 pubs of Christmas.

Should be savage!

Yeah, weird one but we'll see how it goes, it also involves me going to a pub I've never been to in Cork which is always a joy :)
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I never did a 12 pubs of Christmas. In fact I only heard of it about 3 years ago when I started a new job. I may go for the more sedate 1 pub of Christmas tomorrow night or more likely the 6 pack of Christmas.

Some genius group of pub owners banded together many moons ago and created a massive Christmas cash cow for their trade - I'm convinced of it!

I say get out and have 3 pints - the perfect amount - because the 4th leads to the tipping point and you'll end up mauling a kebab at 4am

Barna77 wrote: »
    Must be date weekend so. Same here :D

Go on D'Agger!

I'm off today. Early gym session and then was in town. Place is mental packed!
    Get a pump on before the date is it?? :pac:

G'wan ya dawwwwg! :D

What pub is it, D'Agger?

Gallaghers

I now fully expect to see you there in a wig :pac:

^pics :D
    Get a pump on before the date is it?? :pac:

G'wan ya dawwwwg! :D
    Sort of
    :D

Gallaghers

I now fully expect to see you there in a wig :pac:

Never been there myself either. Must be a fancy lady dragging your uncultured ass there :pac:

Fear not though D'Agg, at least there's one standard beer (Canadian) showing on their webpage :D

http://gallagherspubcork.com/

Never been there myself either. Must be a fancy lady dragging your uncultured ass there :pac:

Fear not though D'Agg, at least there's one standard beer (Canadian) showing on their webpage :D

http://gallagherspubcork.com/
    Nice looking spot! Somewhere out of sight I'd say more like!

I'll have something Uber fancy and expensive when I go in so...."Barkeep, a cocktail for the lady and I'll have a blended steak, medium...chop chop"

• Advertisement

Met the parents in Harvey Norman to do some window shopping for a new TV. Drove home with a 42" in the backseat.

Screw you guys and your dates. Night in for me.

Met the parents in Harvey Norman to do some window shopping for a new TV. Drove home with a 42" in the backseat.

Screw you guys and your dates. Night in for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Is d' agg dating?! Nawww!!! So proud.. Sniff*

Panthro wrote: »
    Is d' agg dating?! Nawww!!! So proud.. Sniff*

I know right, I'm so metro these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

On the way into town now for the 12 pubs. Feelin a tad shook, last night turned out a helluva lot boozeier than intended. The 12 pubs isn't starting til but I'm meeting a mate at 4 for an eye opener.

Morning folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

So in the last 48 hours, 2 people I know have gotten engaged (not to each other) and another's just announced she's getting married this summer....jesus we're too young for these dominos!!

So in the last 48 hours, 2 people I know have gotten engaged (not to each other) and another's just announced she's getting married this summer....jesus we're too young for these dominos!!
    I know the feeling.

Well, maybe not the young part.

Hah I've just seen that post! Welcome to my world.
    I'm kinda stunned by all this. One of the girls hasn't hit 21 yet...I just...like...what.

Hah I've just seen that post! Welcome to my world.
    I'm kinda stunned by all this. One of the girls hasn't hit 21 yet...I just...like...what.
    They'll be busy rediscovering their youth in 15 years when they're single again and their kids are off to school.

/cynic

20. That's terrifying :o

I'm 23, and I don't intend on being near marriage for at least a decade.

• Advertisement

I'm 20 as well, even the thought of my 21st next year is weird, never mind goddamn weddings...
    Mental, the lot of 'em!

Way back when I was a young whippersnapper and had just moved to the UK, I remember spending an evening chatting to a lovely 19 year old girl. Was convinced I was in, so I asked for her number... and she apologetically pointed to her wedding ring. Dafug.

Instinctively been checking the ring finger ever since.

Way back when I was a young whippersnapper and had just moved to the UK, I remember spending an evening chatting to a lovely 19 year old girl. Was convinced I was in, so I asked for her number... and she apologetically pointed to her wedding ring. Dafug.

Instinctively been checking the ring finger ever since.

I do this too since living in NY for 6 months.

Identical thing happened to me with a 21 year old. Was shocked as I genuinely hadn't even considered it as a possibility.

Morning chaps. Uegh.

Aaand another engagement last night.
    I'm gonna bury my head in the sand and pretend this isn't happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

You have weird friends

You have weird friends
    I know.
    If another one even looks sideways at someone next week, that's it, I'm out, I'll hibernate for the next 10 years

hahah. I’m zen about my friends getting engaged now; I was looking at it all wrong. :D

I forgot that my flatmate is /also/ friends with the couples who got engaged; on top of that three more of his friends and one ex also got engaged in that last two weeks or so. That’s a lot of engagement parties/weddings to bring his girlfriend to.

No pressure then…

On a different topic; folks, I know a lot of you have beards (excluding BK, I hope) – anyone know a good barber for styling beards and what not? I’m four weeks into growing one and I could do with a barber who knows his/her shizz. My beard is looking pretty promising but it’s got a few unique quirks and I’m not quite sure how to handle it just yet…

You have weird friends

I concur....that's too many in a short space of time!

I'm bate after the weekend, had a great one though, afraid to look at my bank account, did wreck - although I am now the proud owner of my very own blazer :pac:

Also we now have a disco ball in our kitchen...it's a tree decoration but we've made it work as a kitchen ornament to great effect!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement