Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

• 16-07-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Okay, so After Hours doesn't usally do sports threads, barr the odd exception. But with only 11 days* to to one of the biggest sporting fortnights on the earth, and with what is preety much a Home Olympics for us, well its the closest it will ever come here. Prehaps its appropiate that the good folks of After Hours post all their thoughts, amusing observations, the scandel, and prehaps even the odd result here.

So here we go, you excited yet?

*9 days till the Football competition

PS. COME ON KATIE TAYLOR!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Load of bollocks. 'Oooh, I can run faster than anyone else!' Great, but how useful is that, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Confab wrote: »
    Load of bollocks. 'Oooh, I can run faster than anyone else!' Great, but how useful is that, exactly?

Very, if you're being chased.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

irish-stew wrote: »
    Okay, so After Hours doesn't usally do sports threads, barr the odd exception. But with only 11 days* to to one of the biggest sporting fortnights on the earth, and with what is preety much a Home Olympics for us, well its the closest it will ever come here. Prehaps its appropiate that the good folks of After Hours post all their thoughts, amusing observations, the scandel, and prehaps even the odd result here.

*9 days till the Football competition

Statements like this are why Sports and After Hours don't mix.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Very, if you're being chased.

So they can win a game of kick the can. So what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

tvercetti wrote: »
    Statements like this are why Sports and After Hours don't mix.

I didn't come up with it.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is that really necessary? Will confetti not do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

"ooh I can kick a leather sphere around better than everyone else"

"ooh I can hit a smaller leather sphere with a stick better than everyone else"

"ooh I can cycle for hundreds of miles better than everyone else".

Get where Im coming from? By your logic all sport is pointless and useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

motheragod can you imagine After hours Olympics?

Drinking, farting, 'scoring 10s' etc etc

Is that really necessary? Will confetti not do?

There ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Jaysus steady on there, I'd be terrified she'd box me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Irlande, nil point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm looking forward to it! I like getting to watch all the random sports that you never usually see :) When I was younger I used to look all the countries the athletes came from in the atlas :o but it helped where knowing where countries like Turkmenistan or Cape Verde are, a skill which has certainly helped me out through the rest of my life >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Any chance of getting power squirting into the olympic games.

I think Cytherea's fanny would grace any stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's little more than a massive transfer of wealth from the public to the private.

£16 Billion pounds at a time of austerity? ****ing madness.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    By your logic all sport is pointless and useless.

Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

faster, higher, stronger.

now what the fuq has dressage got to do with that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So they can win a game of kick the can. So what?

So people trying to mug you just tap you on the shoulder and say "you're on" now...?!

faster, higher, stronger.

now what the fuq has dressage got to do with that??

It's all like jumpin' and sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Jaysus steady on there, I'd be terrified she'd box me.
    i'd love to see her box

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I can't wait! Love the Olympics, its going to be amazing :D

• Advertisement

I cant wait.

It is a superb opportunity to perv at scantily clad athletic young women. Diving, Tennis, Gymnastics (the legal ones of course) and a whole host of other lovely ladies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Gymnastics (the legal ones of course)

Ha, coming from someone who will watch it for obsession reasons and absolutely not perving...China's team are all legal this year, USA have 3 16 and under, same with Romania. Russia have 2 16, 1 17. Just so you know. I don't get why it's worth perving over..the vast majority have no figures at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Yup.

Say you're some craic at football matches :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's the greatest show on earth. I can't wait to see the world's best competing. People who don't get it, or who don't see the "use" are thoroughly depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I'm looking forward to the 30 minute queues to get on a tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

It's all like jumpin' and sh1t

no jumpin in dressage, it's just dicking about on a horse while wearing a coat and top hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

fag in one hand (is that political correctness) can in the other, ball bag getting groomed a lot more than normal, and to prove I have what it takes I will not shower or bath for the full duration of the games,

im guessing I will not get to many interruptions coming up to the main finals.

It's the greatest show on earth. I can't wait to see the world's best competing. People who don't get it, or who don't see the "use" are thoroughly depressing.

yeh but you cant tell who the best is unless you know the ones not taking performance enhancing substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I'm hoping for a Jessica Ennis nip slip, come on ya beaut ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Sick of all the hype. Theres way too much of it.

Thank god I'm off on holiday at the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So aside from Katie Taylor, what other Irish athletes could potentially medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

no jumpin in dressage, it's just dicking about on a horse while wearing a coat and top hat.

Jessica Kurten does that horsey stuff, she got disqualified one time because her horse tested positive for a banned substance

In true AH style she can fill me with drugs and ride me anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's little more than a massive transfer of wealth from the public to the private.

£16 Billion pounds at a time of austerity? ****ing madness.

Should we ban Christmas as well?

So aside from Katie Taylor, what other Irish athletes could potentially medal?

Eamon Coghlan, Daley Thompson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Should we ban Christmas as well?

I didn't call for a ban on anything I just made a comment. Christmas is a yearly religious holiday you can voluntarily celebrate it or not.

I just think that the ~£16Bn would hve been better spent on infrastructure, schools, hospitals etc so that the people of Britain actually get some return on their robbery investment in the form of jobs and services.

I'm not having a go at the British people so don't get all butt-hurt over it freddy.

• Advertisement

i'd love to see her box

"This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."
    - Pat Glenn, weightlifting commentator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Not bothered with it really just hoping it doesn't eff up my commute. Or if it does mess up the city, then it messes it up so bad that I get a day or two off work.
    Anyway I'll be looking forward to seening my sweetheart Yelena Isinbayeva pole-vaulting, she's a total babe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

2 things guaranteed about the olympics

Ireland will win fúck all medals, Team GB wont win the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I'll be looking forward to seening my sweetheart Yelena Isinbayeva pole-vaulting, she's a total babe.

I see what you mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Sick to the back teeth and dreading every moment of it.

• Advertisement

2 things guaranteed about the olympics

Ireland will win fúck all medals, Team GB wont win the football.

Taylor only has to win one fight to be guaranteed of at least a bronze.

I wouldn't expect GB football to medal anyway, Brazil and Uruguay are sending strong squads. Spain's youngsters will be in with a shout too I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I wouldn't expect GB football to medal anyway, Brazil and Uruguay are sending strong squads. Spain's youngsters will be in with a shout too I'm sure.

I heard it was 2 fights.

Is 1 now confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I cant see past Brazil for this one, The quality they possess in their Olympic squad is unreal.

I heard it was 2 fights.

Is 1 now confirmed?

I beleive it is. She has a bye to the Qtr finals. Both losing semi finalists get the bronze as theres no play off fight.

I heard it was 2 fights.

Is 1 now confirmed?

The last I heard was that she's received a bye from the first round. That would put her into the OFs automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Love the Olympics.

My first Olympic memory is a news report about Greg Louganis skinning his head on the diving board at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, when I was four. The event has gripped me ever since. :)

\o/

I cant see past Brazil for this one, The quality they possess in their Olympic squad is unreal.

Yeah they really take the Olympics seriously, especially when it comes to the development of their younger players. Also aside from the meaningless Confederations Cup next year, this will be the last set of competitive games they'll have before the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I can't wait for the Olympics. Loved it since I was a littl'un. Lucky enough that my schools had the use of all of Crystal Palaces facilities growing up.

I just wish I hadn't discovered boys and kept at the hurdles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Yeah they really take the Olympics seriously, especially when it comes to the development of their younger players. Also aside from the meaningless Confederations Cup next year, this will be the last set of competitive games they'll have before the World Cup.

Apparently the Brazil manager might get the sack if they don't do well, that's how seriously he/they will be taking it. Looking forward to the soccer tournament, especially when you consider the great players who have appeared in it in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I didn't call for a ban on anything I just made a comment. Christmas is a yearly religious holiday you can voluntarily celebrate it or not.

I just think that the ~£16Bn would hve been better spent on infrastructure, schools, hospitals etc so that the people of Britain actually get some return on their robbery investment in the form of jobs and services.

I'm not having a go at the British people so don't get all butt-hurt over it freddy.

No need to get personal.

I've heard plenty of people in London say the same thing, but there are also thousands of people who have been employed as well (even more if G4S got their act together).

The Olympics is the biggest event in the world and it brings in a lot of revenue as well.

It's a once in a lifetime event so the cost should be a secondary concern.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement