Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

There have been some incredible sporting moments in this competition. The photo finish in women's triathlon this morning was fantastic. Peter Wilson's win in men's double trap as well. As soon as the last clay was dusted he just fell down and started crying. All the tension went out of him and the hugeness of it hit him all at once. Absolutely fantastic.

Most high level athletes are extremely down to earth and good people. Usually excellent company and really positive, as well as supportive. They know better than anyone that there are more weak and mediocre moments than there are great ones. That current Dublin GAA ad on the radio (We're made of the moments you don't see) nails the spirit of sport better than most other expressions of it.

I know we are only a week into the competition but I think these are the greatest games ever, even the amount of the public out on the streets supporting the walk was incredible. My favourite moment so far was Jemma Gibbons Judo silver, I am also really enjoying the velodrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Cmon mo.

Wonder will he do what he said he would on a league of their own if he wins

It would be class if he did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I've been out all day. So delighted to see that Jessica Ennis won gold!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

I wish the swimming wasn't over I actually love watching the swimming it's quite enjoyable to watch. I actually got up early to watch all of the heats. I might try and get back into swimming not for olympic standards though. It's been one of the most interesting olympics events to watch.

Yeah me too. Pity it is over but it was a very exciting Olympic swim meet. Fantidtic that Phelps finished his career on a gold. He totally deserved it and I really hope after he got his medal he got a standing ovation and a lap of honour about pool.

Really is the end of an era in swimming. Inspired me to get back into pool and learn how to swim properly.

Will miss the handsome Ian Thorpe on BBC too. They are lacking eye candy for the females in the commentry dept. :)

Diving next week so that is good to watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wouldn't it be great if the lad who lost his shoe and fell in the 10000m came back to win...

Colmustard wrote: »
    I know we are only a week into the competition but I think these are the greatest games ever, even the amount of the public out on the streets supporting the walk was incredible. My favourite moment so far was Jemma Gibbons Judo silver, I am also really enjoying the velodrome.

Yeah, also like to focus on the swimmer Gemma Spofforth - she didn't win any medals (came 5th in 100m backstroke) but the fact she turned up at all was fantastic. And not forgetting our own Kieran Behan, amazing...

I agree in that its not always about who gets the gold

He has to get up there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

libra02 wrote: »
    Yeah me too. Pity it is over but it was a very exciting Olympic swim meet. Fantidtic that Phelps finished his career on a gold. He totally deserved it and I really hope after he got his medal he got a standing ovation and a lap of honour about pool.

Really is the end of an era in swimming. Inspired me to get back into pool and learn how to swim properly.

Will miss the handsome Ian Thorpe on BBC too. They are lacking eye candy for the females in the commentry dept. :)

I loved the swimming as well! Really has inspired me to get back into doing it regularly. We'll see how long that lasts :p

It's unreal that Phelps is retiring already though, he's only 27. But I suppose when you've already done so amazingly well it might be hard to keep up the momentum/energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Good grief I'm exhausted just watching this. GO MO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

http://news.sky.com/story/968862/champion-admits-urinating-in-olympic-pool

"American swimming star Ryan Lochte, who won five medals in the London Games, including two golds, has admitted urinating in the Olympic pool.

The champion said "there was just something about getting into chlorine water that you just automatically go".

Lochte, who also picked up two silvers and a bronze, was speaking on the phone to US radio presenter Ryan Seacrest, who asked him if swimmers ever relieved themselves in the pool."

The swimmer replied: "Of course. We always do.

When asked if he ever went during one of the races in London, the star said: "Not during the races, but I sure did before in warm-up."

His battle with fellow American Michael Phelps was one of the big talking points of the Games.

Lochte won the 400 metres individual medley, with Phelps finishing fourth.

But Phelps got his revenge in the 200 metres event, winning the race, as Lochte finished in the silver medal position.

The two were part of the US team that won gold in the 4 x 200 metres freestyle relay."

We probably all knew they did it, but why in the name of jaysus would you admit it to the press, that's his 5 medal forgotten about, fro, now on he'll be remembered as the pool phisser :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Being lapped must be so disheartening. Fair play to the for keeping on going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

This race is enthralling.

libra02 wrote: »

I was only talking about this, when Ireland were playing England in Euro 88 Gary Linekar was running at packie Bonner and Packie was having the game of his life. I was dying and as tense as an iron bar and my GF at that time said to me. Isn't Gary Linekar just gorgeous,, I stared at her in disbelief and knocked sidewards.

Anyway Go Mo he seems relaxed, I think he will.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Come on Mo, nerves are shot!
    Have to agree with other posters this games so far has been amazing, the crowds, the excitement. I've spent the day glued to the tv, rowing, cycling, swimming and now the track. Fantastic stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

gwan mo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Go Mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some atmosphere. What a win

Jesusssssss

Fukcen brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well done, Mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

So exciting!!! Go Mo! Didn't think he would win it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

My word! Unbelievable! The crowd are immense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

he seems such a nice chap as well, delighted for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

wow!! Mo Farrah was awesome there!..what a win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Phelps ended up pissing on him i guess..

Brilliant by Mo Mo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

DON'T LEAN ON THE SPIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

amazing-imagine the adrenaline rush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

what a day for GB athletics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Amazing stuff.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

YES FARAH !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

He must be taking the p1ss!!

He did it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

how has he the stamina to sprint home after running almost 10,000 metres!! jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Great stuff from farrah. Him and rupp ran a great tactical race together.

Doing the thing he said he would on a league of their own too. Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Amazeball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Unbelievable. One of the great Olympic nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

MO!!!!!!!!!

Thats Team GBs 6th of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Go GB! London will be on fire tonight! (in a good way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

he's an Olympiss medalist

• Advertisement

Ahhh a lump in my throat,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

beautiful moment when his daughter ran over to him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

These are brilliant scenes. Can't stop smiling here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Can Mo Farrah and that Rutherford fella live to to this?

not sure exactly what I was trying to say there but -

yes, yes they can!

Sensational stuff, now to start the petition to hold the games in London every four years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It would bring a tear to a glass eye, amazing scenes, well done Mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fantastic run, thought he went off to soon but there you go, amazing how the African runners seemed to fade off towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

9 of the last 12 British medals have been gold (according to BBC site anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wilberto wrote: »
    Ya wasn't sure myself....hence the "?" after world!!!

Still though, deinately one to watch for the future...and every bit as likeable as Jessica Ennis.

A supreme talent. Potentially better than Ennis. Time will tell. One thing on her side is that she's tall, about 6'. She's the world junior long jump champion, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

How many gold showers , I mean medals does he have???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well done Farah. He's some man for one man. He also bet The Cube for charity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

An amazing night. Beats the atmosphere of opening ceremony.

westendgirlie <---- Still a Proud Londoner :):):):)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement