Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

So Mr Sturridge, how do you feel? oooooohhhhh, that bad? Never mind. Over to you Mel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Team GB have been knocked out on Penalties. Bit like watching England.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

fionnsda wrote: »
    out you go brits Ha

dont think many British people would care about these over hyped footballers after all the glory they have had in the velodrome,rowing,track and field and other sports they have won medals in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tox56 wrote: »
    Ronan O'Gara was born in San Diego, I doubt the US will be making a claim for him anytime soon

Probably because they don't give a fúck about rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sturridge had a howler of a match tbh, he shouldn't have taken a penalty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

It's importatn they get their dues.

Anyone know what the deal is with Victor Costello on RTE? Is he a sports editor of a national paper, or what was the reasoning behind him being on to talk about the athletics?

It's RTE so it doesn't have to make sense. They probably needed an expert for the discus and rang him going, "ah shure Victor, you must have thrown a frisbee once or twice in your time"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Colmustard wrote: »
    I won't watch the Olympic mens football I don't regard it as an Olympic event, women's yes because they are all amateurs, I have the attitude to the tennis.

I don't understand how professionals are allowed to play in these events, when boxers can't enter the Olympics once they turn professional. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

I won't watch the Olympic mens football I don't regard it as an Olympic event, women's yes because they are all amateurs, I have the attitude to the tennis.

Yeah and Bolt's an amateur sprinter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Anyone know what the deal is with Victor Costello on RTE? Is he a sports editor of a national paper, or what was the reasoning behind him being on to talk about the athletics?

Used to play No8 for Leinster and Ireland, also was national champion at Shot Putt at some stage if memory serves me right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Unbelievable. One of the great Olympic nights

for team gb - yes

but the quality of the 10,000 metre field and long jump field were poor, a lot of top performers out injured

great win by south korea in the football, they deserved it too, better team on the night and nice to see a celtic player hit the winning pen

jessica ennis - absolutely brilliant, class of the field by a distance, i was hoping she'd get to 7,000 points plus to become the truly elite in heptathlon all time but she was just short, if i was here i would definitely go for the 100 metre hurdles title and double up

only disappointment of the night was bekele in the 10,000 metres, he ran ok but is a shadow of his former self

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Originally Posted by Colmustard

Most Women's footballers are playing pro either in the US, Sweden, France, Germany or Russia. The UK is a Semi-Pro league.

Great night for the British
    born somalia!

He moved to the UK when he was 8. Spent his formative years there and identifies himself as British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yeah and Bolt's an amateur sprinter.

A lot are professionals but if you are going to field a pro football team why doesn't the best players want to play in it. So if they win they wont be the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

out you go brits Ha
    Whatever makes you happy, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tox56 wrote: »
    Ronan O'Gara was born in San Diego, I doubt the US will be making a claim for him anytime soon

To be fair, when you look at the comment that the poster was replying to, it's a valid one to make

'surprised that the Africans dropped off towards the end'

eh.. Africa isn't a country, it's obvious that the poster was referring to ethnicity rather than nationality. And you'd be hard pressed to say that Mo Farah isn't of East African ethicity =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Have ta say, delighted they left the Chinese lad in the 1500m back in after he dived to early. It's understandable that something like that might happen, the nerves and tension mean it's no surprise.

Would have been very harsh. Fairplay to him for overcoming that and putting in a super race, and clearly meant a lot to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I haven't been keeping up with Ireland's progress ... not a single medal so far? Ouch. Pull your socks up, people! ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have ta say, delighted they left the Chinese lad in the 1500m back in after he dived to early. It's understandable that something like that might happen, the nerves and tension mean it's no surprise.

Would have been very harsh. Fairplay to him for overcoming that and putting in a super race, and clearly meant a lot to him!

But how the hell did he beat the WR by 3 seconds.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Has Andrew the swimming analyst just come from a wedding??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I won't watch the Olympic mens football I don't regard it as an Olympic event, women's yes because they are all amateurs, I have the same attitude to the tennis.

I'm not bothered whether they're pro or not...I just won't support them because they are seem like a bunch of arrogant stuck up *beep*.

Then you look at the women footballers and they're fantastic to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

A lot are professionals but if you are going to field a pro football team why doesn't the best players want to play in it. So if they win they wont be the best in the world.

Because you're only allowed 3 players over 23 in your squad of 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

out you go brits Ha

The fenian is strong in this one...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Holy jebus the height of the Russian girl, she's still taller than jess even on the podium!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

bnt wrote: »
    I haven't been keeping up with Ireland's progress ... not a single medal so far? Ouch. Pull your socks up, people! ;)

Kazakhstan with the philosophy win or nothing at all!...5 gold medals and no other medals to their name.

I have a big mad happy grin on my face, this is just a great sporting night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Jess is such a class act. Deserves every ounce of her success.

Brian017 wrote: »
    Because you're only allowed 3 players over 23 in your squad of 18

Ohh I didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Magnificent showing from Britain at the stadium tonight. Three gold in the space of a half hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

telekon wrote: »
    Was watching the female discus earlier...the winning throw was a full 10 metres behind the distance set by some east German "woman" back in 1985!!!

Even madder...that East German's record is over 2 metres farther than the men's record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Most Women's footballers are playing pro either in the US, Sweden, France, Germany or Russia. The UK is a Semi-Pro league.

Great night for the British

He moved to the UK when he was 8. Spent his formative years there and identifies himself as British.

And his father is English.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Even madder...that East German's record is over 2 metres farther than the men's record!

:D

I think the women's discus is lighter though....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm sure bill nearly fell asleep doing that swimming intro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

out you go brits Ha

As a British supporter from Northern Ireland, I say good. They were never going to get past the Brazilians anyway.

And now, we don't have to see those overpaid, overhyped, and generally not very nice footballers wearing the same colours as the likes of the girls who blitzed the pursuit earlier, the rowers who gave it their absolute all and then gave it some more to win golds and silvers, Jess Ennis who has shown them how to live up to pressure and prevail, and Mo Farah who showed grit beyond belief to get his gold.

If the Olympics does anything, I hope it opens up the eyes of many people to the fact that sporting heroes exist far beyond the white lines of a soccer pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Its 2kg for men and 1kg for women so yeah its lighter lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Lineker just said that Britain come out on top if you take into account the medal to population ratio. Is that true? =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So are the women :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Lineker just said that Britain come out on top if you take into account the medal to population ratio. Is that true? =/

Wouldn't surprise me, their population is small compared to the likes of USA and China...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I doubt he's lieing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Denmark 5 medals 5 million odd population beats them in my book.. Albeit only 1 gold... thats just at a glance

Edit new zealand 3 gold 7 total 4.5 million population has to be top surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

No it's New Zealand atm. Same population as Ireland, an example we need to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So is the hammer and shot put but those records are more in proportion with the men's being much further. According to wiki the top 10 women's discus throws of all time all happened between 1984-1988 and all by eastern bloc athletes (6 East Germany, 1 Czech, 1 Romanian, 1 Bulgarian and a Soviet)......what a joke!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

bwatson wrote: »
    As a British supporter from Northern Ireland, I say good. They were never going to get past the Brazilians anyway.

And now, we don't have to see those overpaid, overhyped, and generally not very nice footballers wearing the same colours as the likes of the girls who blitzed the pursuit earlier, the rowers who gave it their absolute all and then gave it some more to win golds and silvers, Jess Ennis who has shown them how to live up to pressure and prevail, and Mo Farah who showed grit beyond belief to get his gold.

If the Olympics does anything, I hope it opens up the eyes of many people to the fact that sporting heroes exist far beyond the white lines of a soccer pitch.

As a Brit I total agree with the above comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say New Zealand run away with that award. But they are doing about 4 times better per capita than the USA! USA! USA!

Jamaica will win the gold per person award by next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

keith16 wrote: »
    It's RTE so it doesn't have to make sense. They probably needed an expert for the discus and rang him going, "ah shure Victor, you must have thrown a frisbee once or twice in your time"

Haha, you're hilarious.

Do you know he's a former national shot putt record holder, represented Ireland in Barcelona and is still our all-time number 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

paulgeog wrote: »
    No it's New Zealand atm. Same population as Ireland, an example we need to follow.

Yeah, we need to do what the British have done in the Cycling.

Pick a niche sport and develop 5/8 athletes of genuine class to at least give us a shot at medals (beyond boxing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

No idea. I don't buy into that medal to population stuff.

It is one competitor against another competitor. If you win a medal, you deserved on your own merits (doped competitors not included)

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd say New Zealand run away with that award. But they are doing about 4 times better per capita than the USA! USA! USA!

Jamaica will be tops at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In the opening ceremony they said NZ had the most gold Per Capita of all time

Yeah, we need to do what the British have done in the Cycling.

Pick a niche sport and develop 5/8 athletes of genuine class to at least give us a shot at medals (beyond boxing).

Olympic handball. An indoor teamsport. Gaelic football is mainly hand passing these days. GAA players could take it up. Conor Mortimer is playing it isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

edit the UK are twice as good as the USA, half the medals and quarter the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So is the hammer and shot put but those records are more in proportion with the men's being much further. According to wiki the top 10 women's discus throws of all time all happened between 1984-1988 and all by eastern bloc athletes (6 East Germany, 1 Czech, 1 Romanian and 1 Bulgarian)......what a joke!!

The solution to this is simple. Change the specification for the events. They did it with the Javelin in 1999, and it created a whole new list of performances. The old marks were wiped away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement