Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's neck and neck between Serbia and Brazil in the volleyball.

I reckon Serbia should bring on Vidic. Then they would automatically be handed the win. Due to Brazil surrendering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

bob50 wrote: »
    Hi Willberto, i know what your saying about Olympics being the pinacle, Although i do get the feeling because they have put in a qualfiing time they can go to Also its a free holiday for them but shurely our council should just concentrate on events we have a chance in boxing , equestrian, maybe sailing heres hoping for annalise murphy and not bother with the other events and put the money and time into those sports and forget the rest

How will we know if they don't have a chance if we don't send them?

Athletes have won 6 of Ireland's 23 medals, and a lot more if you add in those Irish athletes who won medals in the British colours before the Irish state came into existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Novelty might have been the wrong word to use, although it is a novel sport in that it is new in the Olympics.

Exhibition might be more appropriate, given that the number of competitors.

I do know that this wasn't necessarily the fault of the female boxing organisations, moreso the Olympic organisers would only allocate a certain amount of competitions/rounds to women.

Still the fact that a fighter has to win ONE fight to medal is a bit of a joke, Murray in the tennis has had to win 5 matches to reach a final.

Katie needs to win 3 bouts to win gold, just 1 less than, for example, Vasyl Lomachenko, the great male Lightweight boxer, would need to win gold. Would her potential victory be less of an achievement than his? Boxing is a tough combat sport, and to dismiss winning a medal in the female competition as a "novelty" is both pointless and ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As I explained above Katie is only im that position by virtue of the fact she is world champion. Most others have an extra round to negotiate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Looked it up - final group match, Brazil through if they win.

I hope the Brazilians win if just to have another match watching their coach. He is bat**** ****ing crazy!
    keith16 wrote: »
    I reckon Serbia should bring on Vidic. Then they would automatically be handed the win. Due to Brazil surrendering.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Novelty might have been the wrong word to use, although it is a novel sport in that it is new in the Olympics.

It might be new to the Olympics, but it is not new. They have been having world championships for a while.

It might surprise people to find out that these sports and athletes won't be waiting 4 years for their next competition.

The Olympics is the pinnacle, but there's a whole pyramid underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As has been explained, the bulk of this competition took place before the Olympics, all the competitors had to come through a round of 64/32/16 in the World Championships to get here (+ possibly winning their own national championship before that).

The IOC are looking to put a ceiling on the amount of competitors so any new events have to be matched by a decrease in athletes somewhere else.
    Boxing was told to keep its numbers at 290 so there was some trading done, and the agreement reached was that 36 places would be taken from the mens boxing and given to the womens. As you can imagine both sides fought tooth and nail and both probably feel hard done by.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I think it's a perfectly valid opinion, and this thread is an appropriate place to voice it.

Just because we have an Irish medal hope doesn't mean the sport should be above criticism.

It is new to the Olympics, and it will get more competitive in the years to come. Can't blame Katie Taylor for that, in fact she could be the catalyst for something special.

The main reason that the 60kg division appears so uncompetitive is that Katie is a world class athlete who has dominated over the past few years, as happens in other sports from time to time. The other weight divisions are much more evenly matched.

As a relatively young sport the depth of women's boxing is certainly a factor in why it is percieved as weaker, but actually Taylors phenomonal talent is the real big factor imo, and not given half the recognition it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I am enjoying the games and this thread, so I would like to add my 2c to the current debate... The summer games, every 4 years though special in terms of their history etc.. I would be of the opinion that World Champion holds more sway than Olympic Champion, or are the olympics essentially world championships held every 4 years? Athletics WC are held every 2 IIRC, I understand that the olympics bring together most sports on the planet, in one place, at one time, thats why they are special, but there are world championships in most sports every other year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

nice_very wrote: »
    I am enjoying the games and this thread, so I would like to add my 2c to the current debate... The summer games, every 4 years though special in terms of their history etc.. I would be of the opinion that World Champion holds more sway than Olympic Champion, or are the olympics essentially world championships held every 4 years? Athletics WC are held every 2 IIRC, I understand that the olympics bring together most sports on the planet, in one place, at one time, thats why they are special, but there are world championships in most sports every other year..

It's a very good question and probably only the competitors themselves could answer whether they'd prefer a World Championship Table Tennis or Judo title or an Olympic title.

My gut feeling is that for a lot of the sports the Olympics must surely be bigger. Like hand on heart if Annalise Murphy was doing her stuff in the Sailing World Championships how many of us would tune in (or even be aware of it), but because its the Olympics we'll all be glued to the tv on Monday.
    I'd guess the same attitude is replicated worldwide.

Obviously some sports are clear exceptions (Tennis and Mens soccer spring to mind).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

spot on Armani, like you said I suppose only the competitors themselves could answer that question... I think what makes the Olympics so special is that it brings almost all sports together which is an incredible feat of organisation... there should be an organising the Olympics event :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wow just looking at the Womens Laser radial results for 2008, its exceptionally tough going this year. The kind of score that the four leaders have posted so far would have made them strong favourites to secure gold going into the medal race in 2008, with a bronze 100% guaranteed (And they sailed one less race in 2008 as a half days sailing was cancelled).

Top 5 totals going into medal race in 2008 (Totals for 9 races, 10th was cancelled)
    1st - 33
    2nd - 40
    3rd - 44
    4th - 54
    5th - 61

Top 5 totals going into medal race in 2012(Totals for 10 races)
    1st - 33
    2nd - 33
    3rd - 34
    4th - 34
    5th - 52

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women's_Laser_Radial_class

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

fryup wrote: »
    yep she's the fav in the novelty sport of women's boxing

she only has to win one match to win a medal, which is bit of a joke really

Very true, the games are not equal across the board. Certain medals don't hold the same value as others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

John Joe Nevin boxing at 8.45pm tonight. If he wins we have our first medal.

Colmo52 wrote: »
    John Joe Nevin boxing at 8.45pm tonight. If he wins we have our first medal.

What way does it work? If he get's into a semi-final, is that bronze guaranteed?

In other words do both losing semi-finalists get bronze or is there a bronze medal match between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Jesus the Irish begrudgery raises its head again. Whats with the Katie Taylor bashing?

Just so you know, all the women who are boxing in the Olympics had to come through different championships to qualify, so they dont just need 1 fight for a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

In other words do both losing semi-finalists get bronze or is there a bronze medal match between them?

both losing semi-finalists get a medal, which imo devalues it ..i think there should be a fight for bronze

there was a few years ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Daily Mail champions a muslim african immigrant on their front page (Mo Farah)
    Planet has officially gone topsy turvy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Mens 100 Metrers Final, tonight 09.55pm . . .

Dont forget and don't blink :)

Blake - Bolt - Gay ? ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

raining in London atm so I assume the track is wet too. Won't be any world records set there I'm guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only in Ireland would a 4 Time World Champion and 5 Time European Champion come in for questioning.

People who question this "Joke" of a boxing competition really havent a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its showery today but as a rule showers die away in late afternoon so they could be alright.

Have to say that they really are doing a great job of showcasing the city with Marathon today, the triathlon yesterday and the road races at the start.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its showery today but as a rule showers die away in late afternoon so they could be alright.
    What rule :confused:
    That's not a shower in London, that's heavy incessant rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Have to say that they really are doing a great job of showcasing the city with Marathon today, the triathlon yesterday and the road races at the start.

Any links to the marathon route Keith, I'm out in Herne Hill today, might head out and have a look. Although it's chucking it down at the minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

they have the flags on the horses cloth arseways...looks like the ivory coast flag lol

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Any links to the marathon route Keith, I'm out in Herne Hill today, might head out and have a look. Although it's chucking it down at the minute!

Here you go...just watching it on TV, looks like it's bucketing down allright!! No such thing as bad weather tho...only bad clothes!!

http://www.london2012.com/athletics/event/women-marathon/coursemap/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

snubbleste wrote: »
    What rule :confused:
    That's not a shower in London, that's heavy incessant rain

When the heat leaves the air shower activity tends to die down - its why the south east of Ireland (and England for that matter) has less shower rain than the west - when moist air pushes over land in a westerly wind showers are created, by the time they reach the east/south east its late afternoon/early evening and they die out (its also why a cloudy sky can clear late in the day).

As for the rain its actually a big slow shower.
    Issued at - 05 Aug 2012, 10:19
    Valid from - 05 Aug 2012, 09:00
    Valid to - 05 Aug 2012, 22:00

Heavy showers, with a risk of thunder and hail, are again expected to develop through Sunday. These may be prolonged in places.

The public should be aware of the risk of surface water flooding and possible disruption to transport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

only bad clothes!!

Oi! Nothing wrong with my shorts! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Katies opponents fighting each other at 2.30 pm. Quanitta Underwood (US) and Natasha Jones (GB), both the No1 in their own counties I beleive. Thats one medal I hope Team GB does not get.

Now just hope RTE shows it.
    both losing semi-finalists get a medal, which imo devalues it ..i think there should be a fight for bronze

A few years ago?

Last olympics was 4 years ago and there was no bronze medal fight in that one, ie, both losing semi finalists got the bronze.

Not sure about the previous one 8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I think the reason being if a fight is stopped by the referee there is a mandatory 21 day no fight period for the losing boxer.

Rare enough in three rounds of amateur boxing but it would mean that some bronze medal matches wouldn't have time to go ahead.

Could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You must have a very long memory:
    wikipedia wrote:
    Until 1948, losing semi-finalists held a bronze medal playoff; since 1952, both losing semi-finalists have received bronze medals.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_at_the_Summer_Olympics

robinph wrote: »

Wikipedia? Where did you find that website? Is it any good? Does it just deal with boxing or can you find other stuff on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

yep she's the fav in the novelty sport of women's boxing

Out of interest, what exactly is it about women's boxing that you don't agree with? It's obviously not the fact that Taylor only needs one win for a medal. You said on another thread that women and boxing just shouldn't go together.

Do you have the same opinions on women's judo or fencing? Those are both combat sports also, and like Olympic amateur boxing; winners are determined in a similar points based fashion.

What is it specifically about boxing that makes you think that the women's competition is a novelty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

George seems fascinated by The Shard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wikipedia? Where did you find that website? Is it any good? Does it just deal with boxing or can you find other stuff on it?

I think they have some detailed articles on Star Trek as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am thinking nothing that happens in these Olympics will surpass last night in the pure drama and spectacle of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Cian O'Connor and Billy Twomey won't be winning any medals as they have faults in the show jumping.
    We have 4 real medal chances Katie, John Joe, Michael and Analise, I wouldn't begrudge any of them , they would be top of their own tree regardless of how difficult it was to get there. Let's get behind everyone of them and I will enjoy every minute of every replay and every interview if we win a medal.
    I love Boards for a lot of things but begrudgry ain't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The amount of people out in the rain supporting the marathon. "The best games ever".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

el diablo wrote: »
    Synchronised swimming.

AFAIK also the only sport where there are no drugs tests.

Colmustard wrote: »
    I am thinking nothing that happens in these Olympics will surpass last night in the pure drama and spectacle of it.

Not even Judy Murray's screaming and possibly breaking a chair in excitement when Andy wins two golds today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Colmustard wrote: »

Agreed, it was a fantastic night of athletics, maybe even surpassing the opening night for atmosphere and excitement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

azhq0vwceaapmfa.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It's ridiculous really that a country with one only gold medal finishes ahead of a country with 100 silver medals.

It should be 3 points for a gold, 2 for a silver and 1 for a bronze. Or a similar points system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

patmac wrote: »
    Cian O'Connor and Billy Twomey won't be winning any medals as they have faults in the show jumping.
    We have 4 real medal chances Katie, John Joe, Michael and Analise, I wouldn't begrudge any of them , they would be top of their own tree regardless of how difficult it was to get there. Let's get behind everyone of them and I will enjoy every minute of every replay and every interview if we win a medal.
    I love Boards for a lot of things but begrudgry ain't one of them.
    5-Paddy Barnes

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

goin to be an exciting finish ere id say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

azhq0vwceaapmfa.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

It's ridiculous really that a country with one only gold medal finishes ahead of a country with 100 silver medals.

It should be 3 points for a gold, 2 for a silver and 1 for a bronze. Or a similar points system.

dont be daft. this is about winning not coming second or third. the medal table should always be golds first.

thats not to say silvers and bronzes arent an achievement, because they clearly are, but the olympics is about striving to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

where did she come from..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement