Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Talinkg of cycling, I loved that race with the little man leading the cyclists around the track on a moped, what was that all about?

PS: I think the very speedy Victoria Pendleton goes again in a race this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

LordSutch wrote: »
    Talinkg of cycling, I loved that race with the little man leading the cyclists around the track on a moped, what was that all about?

PS: I think the very speedy Victoria Pendleton goes again in a race this evening.

The bike is used as a pacer in the Keirin - which is a form of motor paced cycling in which where sprint for victory following a speed-controlled start behind a pacer. They use either motorized or non-motorized pacers.
    Lots are drawn to determine starting positions behind the pacer (which is usually a motorcycle but London 2012 are using a derny. Once it passes the start, riders are required to remain behind the pacer for a predetermined number of laps. Then it leaves track and the sprint begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Another thing that im confused about in the cycling..

Was watching the irish lad do that long race there around the track and a guy from denmark (i think) fell off, he lost 2 or more laps, then got back going and caught up with the pack and gained a lap but then he still finished ahead of the Irish lad :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Jaysus, female boxing is terrible.

Is their a sport in the olympics were women are better than their male counterparts, genuine question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GB are going to lose the tennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

GB are going to lose the tennis
    I blame the girl

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Laura Robson you are a disgrace. Don't deserve a Silver medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is their a sport in the olympics were women are better than their male counterparts, genuine question?
    Synchronised swimming. ;)

Actually, I think that women do both diving and gymnastics better. When the men do those, it becomes too much about muscles and power, instead of accuracy and finesse, IMHO.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What did Laura Robson do that was so bad?(not watching it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

phasers wrote: »
    I blame the girl

Robson was way to weak to compete in that. Her serve and service return was terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Equestrian, they can hhave a champion female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

garv123 wrote: »
    Robson was way to weak to compete in that. Her serve and service return was terrible

Robson has just cracked the top 100 - Azarenka is number 1.

The gulf in class was always likely to tell in this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

bnt wrote: »
    Synchronised swimming. ;)

Actually, I think that women do both diving and gymnastics better. When the men do those, it becomes too much about muscles and power, instead of accuracy and finesse, IMHO.

That's cos the scoring systems are different. The women can't do some of the moves the men do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Robson is 18 and barely top 100 to be fair.

It's all about Murray today anyway

Murray into 7/2 to become BBC SPOTY. Not sure what odds he was earlier but they were way longer than that. He has to get it imo but it'll be Wiggins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Murray into 7/2 to become BBC SPOTY. Not sure what odds he was earlier but they were way longer than that. He has to get it imo but it'll be Wiggins

Wiggins or Ennis.

More then likely Wiggins.

Murray has no chance even if he wins US Open.

Just flicking through the Times, Britain is entering into a triple dip depression, the Euro is in another round of trouble, Greenland is Green-land again after a record summer melt, the North American grain crop is in trouble because of a drought which will effect us all next year.

But we have our Circus the Olympics are a great time to bury bad news.

Wiggins or Ennis.

More then likely Wiggins.

Murray has no chance even if he wins US Open.

He should imo but he won't I agree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There will be way too many others to pick from.

If Murray wins a slam then he's in with a chance, if Mo does the 10k 5k double he's in with a chance but the athletics vote will be split between him and Ennis who is in with a chance because shes on every poster around the country at the moment. The cycling is probably going to be a choice of Wiggins or Wiggins so he'll get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Colmustard wrote: »
    Just flicking through the Times, Britain is entering into a triple dip depression, the Euro is in another round of trouble, Greenland is Green-land again after a record summer melt, the North American grain crop is in trouble because of a drought which will effect us all next year.

And your point is? We all know the world is going to sh1t....but these are two weeks to enjoy ourselves. Would you rather not have something else to think about for a (short) while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Wiggins acheivements far outstrip Murrays. Personally I dont think either will win it and it will go to Jessica Ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ennis is a shoo-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

No way Murray should get it ahead of Wiggins!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Will there be a 1 2 3 says Bill, no because there is only 2 say the others:D

steve9859 wrote: »
    And your point is? We all know the world is going to sh1t....but these are two weeks to enjoy ourselves. Would you rather not have something else to think about for a (short) while?

That was my point, I don't care, I am totally mesmerised by the games.

It was just a take on the Roman saying Placate the mob by bread and circuses.

(panem et circenses)

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    Wiggins acheivements far outstrip Murrays. Personally I dont think either will win it and it will go to Jessica Ennis

Murray is playing against some of the greatest sportsmen who ever lived and won a gold in olympics made W'don final and Aus Open semi.

I guess its cos I'm not a cycling fan but just don't rate the sport

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    No way Murray should get it ahead of Wiggins!

Does Wiggins compete against three of the best sportsmen ever?

Murray is playing against some of the greatest sportsmen who ever lived and won a gold in olympics made W'don final and Aus Open semi.

I know this probably wont go down too well, but in Tennis, the Olympics isnt very highly rated, there are 4 events which rank higher.

Similarily, the Tour de France win was a far bigger win than the Olympic gold medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just has to be the lovely Jessica for sports personality, what a superstar . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Colmustard wrote: »

Oh Boo-Hoo

• Advertisement

Look, thats your opinion, but in my opinion, there have been way better tennis playes gone by than the current crop, never mind when you take into account other sports.

I know this probably wont go down too well, but in Tennis, the Olympics isnt very highly rated, there are 4 events which rank higher.

Similarily, the Tour de France win was a far bigger win than the Olympic gold medal.

I dunno maybe not before but many players would prefer a gold to a US or Aus. Wimbledon and probably the French would rank higher with the majority of players. Matter of opinion really.

Still beat Djok and Fed to do it.

It's all a matter of opinion though. We could sit here all night and many would have differing views. I just think Murray deserves it myself is all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

There are 14 events in Tennis which rank higher. 750 points for gold whereas 4 slams worth 2000, 9 masters worth 1000 and year end championship worth 1500.

Look, thats your opinion, but in my opinion, there have been way better tennis playes gone by than the current crop, never mind when you take into account other sports.

Ah gee would ya stop there.

There are 14 events in Tennis which rank higher. 750 points for gold whereas 4 slams worth 2000, 9 masters worth 1000 and year end championship worth 1500.

Well there you go, I'm not a big fan of tennis tbh, but when its own organisation doesnt rate Olympic gold, it says a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

Bbcspoty is a over hyped meaningless. award
    WGAF

Well there you go, I'm not a big fan of tennis tbh, but when its own organisation doesnt rate Olympic gold, it says a lot.

Ah phew that explains the statement I highlighted above so.

fionnsda wrote: »
    Bbcspoty is a over hyped meaningless. award
    WGAF

Oh agreed completely

Nope, but he destroyed the field in one of the worlds toughest races, and followed that up with Olympic gold. if Murray wins a slam, i agree he should win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

robinph wrote: »
    There will be way too many others to pick from.

If Murray wins a slam then he's in with a chance, if Mo does the 10k 5k double he's in with a chance but the athletics vote will be split between him and Ennis who is in with a chance because shes on every poster around the country at the moment. The cycling is probably going to be a choice of Wiggins or Wiggins so he'll get it.

Pendleton or Hoy must be in with a chance...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'm sure it's been asked already, but what time is Nevin fighting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is fishing an Olympic sport?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Nope, but he destroyed the field in one of the worlds toughest races, and followed that up with Olympic gold. if Murray wins a slam, i agree he should win.

Credit where its due indeed.

It's a pointless enough award though tbh. Hard to compare sports and magnitude of achievements really.

Anyhow who do ye all fancy for the big one tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm sure it's been asked already, but what time is Nevin fighting?

8.45 p.m. i'm told.

Pendleton or Hoy must be in with a chance...

Pendleton no way and Hoy won it in 08. Unlikely he'd get it again..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Red card for a false start:eek:

Is a DQ not a bit harsh there..?

Red card for a false start:eek:

Looked deliberate to me.

Is a DQ not a bit harsh there..?

No. The rules are clearcut. After the starter says "set" you cannot leave your blocks until the gun is fired.

• Advertisement

Credit where its due indeed.

It's a pointless enough award though tbh. Hard to compare sports and magnitude of achievements really.

Anyhow who do ye all fancy for the big one tonight?

Hope Blake wins and hope the young british guy gemili gets into the final

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement