Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Love listening to Michael Johnson's analysis, the man just knows what he's talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

shakes drayton was very good in her last DL race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

See Rte having a long interview with the girl who finished last in the marathon, trying to make a human story out of it, would be nice if we could interview someone who exceeded expectations. Taylor's opponent looks difficult, hope everything goes well for her and she gets a fair deal on the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Fastest man on earth up next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

patmac wrote: »
    See Rte having a long interview with the girl who finished last in the marathon, trying to make a human story out of it, would be nice if we could interview someone who exceeded expectations. Taylor's opponent looks difficult, hope everything goes well for her and she gets a fair deal on the night.

I was on the Mall this morning and Catriona Jenings got a huge cheer. The crowd stayed for an hour after the winner to see her come home. Was very emotional or her, and it is a very human story. She did better to finish with her injury than those that dropped out.

More to the point is what the hell have the Irish team manager / doctors / physios been doing. Something has obviously gone wrong in the preparation. Are they just not as professional and as competent as other countries, which manage to send their athletes to the Olympics in peak condition? Sickness / injury is down to preparation....it doesn't happen by accident at this level.

• Advertisement

Ben Youssef Meite....it's that Irish guy again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Impressive from Gatlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gatlin looking very strong. Tempted to throw a few euro on him to win the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Gatlin has been so underrated, hes in with a good shot of gold, I'd say he'll beat usain anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wow that was a time. 9.82 may get a bronze. Powell might get a bad lane draw for not finishing in the top 2.

• Advertisement

ya 9.82
    they mightn't be far off WR in final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Gatlin, now there's a drug cheat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

patmac wrote: »

I can see your point of view but the Olympics come round once every four years and surely you can forgive someone for hoping an injury will be alright on the night.

You have to have a massive amount of respect for those athletes who put in the same lonely hard slog day in day out as the elites knowing that they will never reap the rewards. In the interviews you can see how much it means to them to represent and how crushing it is for them when they underperform for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Bolt is irritating me a bit. Always miming for the camera and pulling faces. I wouldn't mind him bottling it for the humble pie, although I doubt it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Pendleton or Hoy must be in with a chance...

Pendleton no way and Hoy won it in 08. Unlikely he'd get it again..
    ...and Hoy hasn't done anything that special in cycling this year compared to Wiggins winning the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

wow not injured then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Holy **** that was fast... WR could be smashed if he doesn't ease up

he jogged the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Bolt is just amazing to watch, he knows it is his to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Haha, have to say, I do like Bolt, good to have some personalities in sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

what speed, coasted the last 30 with such ease actually slowing to post 9.87 :O

There we go. He eased off toward the end too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Bolt 9.87. He slowed down for the last 40.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Shryke wrote: »
    Bolt is irritating me a bit. Always miming for the camera and pulling faces. I wouldn't mind him bottling it for the humble pie, although I doubt it.
    I guess you didn't see the World Championships where he false started and was DQ'ed then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

titan18 wrote: »
    That's cos the scoring systems are different. The women can't do some of the moves the men do

No, both men's and women's gymnastics scoring is made up of the same elements- difficulty and execution. Most of the men's difficult tumbles have been are being done by women- double doubles, full twisting double layouts, double twisting double layouts, full twisting double pikes. Some of them were INVENTED by women. There are only a few exceptions to this. Women are not allowed do the tumbles where men land on their backs and roll out, so you're not going to see them anytime soon in women's. In vault for men it's set higher than it is for women so it's easier for them to get more height..but a very common and difficult vault on both sides, the 2.5 yurchenko was invented by a woman and the best one ever is being done by a woman.

Sure, there are moves men are doing not yet done by a woman..but the idea that it is more difficult for women than men is a fair point. Male gymnasts have to show brute power and great form. Women have to show brute power, great form- but also artistry, grace and dance elements like leaps and turns which are really difficult too. In my opinion, it's harder to show all the attributes needed to be the perfect female gymnast than it is for a male gymnast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

that ukraine triple jumper is cute, she winning it now too

First time seeing Blake run actually but heard a lot about him.. Should be good with him and Gay in this one

robinph wrote: »
    ...and Hoy hasn't done anything that special in cycling this year compared to Wiggins winning the Tour.

If Mo Farah wins the 5k, he should be a shoo-in. Ticks all the boxes: universality (it's running!), biggest event in his sport, and against all the odds (ie. up against all the Africans). No-one else (not Murray or Wiggins) ticks all those boxes. But he has to win the 5k first....and I'm going to be in the stadium that night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Phenomenal stuff from Bolt, what a champion!

• Advertisement

Boris managed not to be picking his nose when the camera hit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Re Bolt I didnt like the way he slowed down..its a bit fake..I knew its the semi but still..he will no doubt win the final in record time..great tv ..the man is a machine..no-one will beat him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

steve9859 wrote: »
    If Mo Farah wins the 5k, he should be a shoo-in. Ticks all the boxes: universality (it's running!), biggest event in his sport, and against all the odds (ie. up against all the Africans). No-one else (not Murray or Wiggins) ticks all those boxes. But he has to win the 5k first....and I'm going to be in the stadium that night :)

Ennis for me.

The poster girl for the Olympics, under enormous pressure to get the Gold and decimates the field breaking many PBs to do it.

notnumber wrote: »
    Re Bolt I didnt like the way he slowed down..its a bit fake..I knew its the semi but still..he will no doubt win the final in record time..great tv ..the man is a machine..no-one will beat him...

He didn't need to go flat out, it's the semi. He knew he was through so he eased. He will definitely give it 100% in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bolt is scary. He is built like a tank but moves like a gazelle. Will no doubt win Gold.

Whatever happened to Paul Hession?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No, both men's and women's gymnastics scoring is made up of the same elements- difficulty and execution. Most of the men's difficult tumbles have been are being done by women- double doubles, full twisting double layouts, double twisting double layouts, full twisting double pikes. Some of them were INVENTED by women. There are only a few exceptions to this. Women are not allowed do the tumbles where men land on their backs and roll out, so you're not going to see them anytime soon in women's. In vault for men it's set higher than it is for women so it's easier for them to get more height..but a very common and difficult vault on both sides, the 2.5 yurchenko was invented by a woman and the best one ever is being done by a woman.

Sure, there are moves men are doing not yet done by a woman..but the idea that it is more difficult for women than men is a fair point. Male gymnasts have to show brute power and great form. Women have to show brute power, great form- but also artistry, grace and dance elements like leaps and turns which are really difficult too. In my opinion, it's harder to show all the attributes needed to be the perfect female gymnast than it is for a male gymnast.

Just on the floor exercise, men don't have to the dance and grace element. It's not that men can't do them, the scoring doesn't ask for it to be done by them

Bolt went from 8/11 to 2/5 on PP from before the semis til now.. Says a lot about how awesome that run was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Whatever happened to Paul Hession?

He is running the 200m

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Awesome stuff from Bolt in his Semi Final with more in the tank as well.

What the odds that Bolt breaks the WR while doing a cartwheel as he crosses the line? :D

• Advertisement

MJ says bolt had another 0.2 or more
    looks like its his to lose then

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

How is it possible for someone to run that fast!? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

He is only pretending to have a limp, do these guys in studio not get its all mind games at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

What the odds that Bolt breaks the WR while doing a cartwheel as he crosses the line? :D

If anyone can then Usain can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Urrrrgh I would be far to macho to take flowers on the podium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Blake ran a faster time, and he also eased up at the end. He can do this

Pudsy33 wrote: »

So did Gatlin, but he ain't gonna win it either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Love when they show those clips from the studio watching a race. Colin Jackson going ape . Michael Johnson going crazy too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Pudsy33 wrote: »

He didn't ease up nearly as much. It's Bolt's to lose.

WTF was Asafa Powell doing in his heat, fukcing moron. He could have finished second if he disn't look across. Dope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Funny behind the scenes of the beeb studio as Moe won :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement