Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

kfallon wrote: »
    I'll give you a medal meself if Derval gets one

Agreed, she's no chance. And she already has an excuse at the ready.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

cgpg5 wrote: »
    leahyl wrote: »
    Maybe Derval? Prob not though since this is her 3rd Olympics and still hasn't got a medal

Not a chance

I know - that was my attempt at sarcasm! Not very good I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Cian O Connor and the Polish guy in the Canoeing have a good chance to medal.

Equestrian is insanely unpredictable though. There is no way O'Connor will get a medal though imo. We'll finish with the 4. All in boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

donfers wrote: »
    I don't know if it's an Irish thing or what but we seem to have issues performing under pressure, maybe the reason is simply because we so rarely put ourselves in a position to win where pressure exists and for that at least we should acknowledge how well Annalise has done so a very impressive, predictable and painful fourth it is

My Dad thinks we just lack focus, we have a "Ah shure, I'm just happy to be here" kind of attitude, no killer extinct. Except Sonia, who had it in spades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lol!!

I dont mean to be pessimistic but we live in Ireland not Dreamland! She's like the female version of TJ Kearns, she'll prob run a new National record without troubling the podium

Katie will win today, no doubt about it. And her opponent has only had a day's rest since fighting yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

We could get a gold or 2 though with Katie obviously and perhaps John joe. Lets be optimistic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Sea Filly wrote: »
    My Dad thinks we just lack focus, we have a "Ah shure, I'm just happy to be here" kind of attitude, no killer extinct. Except Sonia, who had it in spades.

roy keane is famous for saying we're terrible for it too and i think you dad and keano have a point unfortunately

el diablo wrote: »

What is it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Equestrian is insanely unpredictable though. There is no way O'Connor will get a medal though imo. We'll finish with the 4. All in boxing

We'll wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I dont know enough about the sailing but if it was any other sport and that happened you'd say that she bottled it

Wait until you see Katie in an hour. You will feel her punches through the TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Absolutely. NZ have the same population, similar people and landscape. Currently ahead of Aussie in the medals table. They're winners, we're not!

donfers wrote: »
    roy keane is famous for saying we're terrible for it too and i think you dad and keano have a point unfortunately

I don't get it, how do they get to be athletes without it? I'm no athlete, but I get that killer instinct even if it's only a game of Scrabble or pool. You NEED it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Just switched the boxing on there! What time is katies fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I don't get it, how do they get to be athletes without it? I'm no athlete, but I get that killer instinct even if it's only a game of Scrabble or pool. You NEED it!

They have better training facilities and coaches

Tinie wrote: »
    Wait until you see Katie in an hour. You will feel her punches through the TV.

That would actually be AWESOME!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

el diablo wrote: »
    I'll give you a medal meself if Derval gets one

To be fair to Derval, she does'nt do excuses. She produces at every major comp. Her level is just not at the top class

Lol!!

I dont mean to be pessimistic but we live in Ireland not Dreamland! She's like the female version of TJ Kearns, she'll prob run a new National record without troubling the podium

Ah yeah I know, she hasn't a chance! I was joking! You're not pessimistic just realistic ;-)

They have better training facilities and coaches

Many athletes train in different countries, including the Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

30 bells past 14 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

We could get a gold or 2 though with Katie obviously and perhaps John joe. Lets be optimistic!

Our other two boxers are top notch too, we have every reason to be optimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Will Katie be fighting one of these girlies WHEN she gets through to next round?

What is it? :)

She claims to have a back injury.

Half 2

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Absolutely. NZ have the same population, similar people and landscape. Currently ahead of Aussie in the medals table. They're winners, we're not!
    You can argue though that the new Zealanders are more "outdoor" and active in general compared to irish people, so play more sports, and their weather helps also, and you can argue that the government here is to blame also for not creating enough sporting infrastructure and programs for youth.

Thats the excuse im using anyway :pac:

Also dont forget about a large percentage of Irish people just play hurling/gaelic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yeah the Aussies have had a pretty poor games so far.

Then again, if they could run fast in the first place, they wouldnt be Australians.
    Second time ive heard that, I don't get it?

Aussie guy in the Mens Trap Shooting just shot all 125 targets. Joint world record.

You can argue though that the new Zealanders are more "outdoor" and active in general compared to irish people, so play more sports, and their weather helps also, and you can argue that the government here is to blame also for not creating enough sporting infrastructure and programs for youth.

Also dont forget about a large percentage of Irish people just play hurling/gaelic.

At least they excel in a couple of sports internationally though. Rugby and sailing I can think of. Have Irish ever won the America's cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Omg poor Annalise - gutted for her :-( still though best sailing result for Ireland for 30 years so not too bad :-)

Another Irish competitor melts when it matters but sure it's our best sailing result for 30 years so lets all pat ourselves on the back.

Your summary sums up everything that is wrong with the mentality of the majority of Irish competitors.

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Yeah the Aussies have had a pretty poor games so far.

Then again, if they could run fast in the first place, they wouldnt be Australians.
    Second time ive heard that, I don't get it?

They are criminals and all that

Aidric wrote: »
    Omg poor Annalise - gutted for her :-( still though best sailing result for Ireland for 30 years so not too bad :-)

Another Irish competitor melts when it matters but sure it's our best sailing result for 30 years so lets all pat ourselves on the back.

Your summary sums up everything that is wrong with the mentality of the majority of Irish competitors.

Oh be quiet

Many athletes train in different countries, including the Irish.

Well lack of talent so, that and the fact that most Irish would rather play gaa than run 100m or any other track and field sports

to be fair, sailing is an unpredictable sport due to the weather in comparison to running, boxing, gymnastics, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Whats with the Irish finishing in 4 th. unlucky, hope Katy can pick us back up again.

At least they excel in a couple of sports internationally though. Rugby and sailing I can think of. Have Irish ever won the America's cup?

If Gaelic football was to theoretically become an olympics sport in 2020 would we even win? :D

Cian O Connor on in a few minutes.

Maybe we can lure the irish lad back here from Kenya to train our runners for Rio...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

For a competitor who gets absolutely feck all support in her chosen event, Annalise has excelled and it is a great performance from her. She deserves a lot of credit.

I'm gutted for her, she has done very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Will Katie be fighting one of these girlies WHEN she gets through to next round?

The Boxing thats live now on the Beeb? No, thats a lower division I think.

If Gaelic football was to theoretically become an olympics sport in 2020 would we even win? :D

Don't be silly......China would :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I agree. I think our inward looking mentality and suspicion of other countries and ''foreign games'' and so forth has cost us in so far as producing top athletes. We should be winning a good bit more, and competing in more sports. But the lack of organisational and infrastructure, or the will for it, isnt there. The fact that a lot of our best athletes are from Northern Ireland is no co-incidence either.

She hardly melted, she was under huge pressure. There are many variables in sailing, it's not like a runner doing well below his personal best. She was ranked below the 3 medalists, so in fact she overperformed. She did incredibly well, if we were told we would have our best finish in sailing in 30 years before the Olympic we'd have been delighted. Im sure she did her best to win, like all our athletes, and they don't need people like you talking them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Yeah, we'd win that until the Chinese got to grips with it!

Don't be silly......China would :D

They'd have that 7 foot something basketball fella as the target man on the edge of the square! They'd run riot :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The weather in NZ is no better or worse than it is here. Irish people don't like getting cold and wet. That's why we constantly complain about the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Murphy did well. I hope she doesn't beat herself up too much. Why is everyone getting snarky about medals all of a sudden? Cop on and enjoy the games.

So as long as the GAA take most of our athletes we're not going to be winning anything internationally I guess. Oh well, maybe I can get a UK passport if I stay here long enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

flyswatter wrote: »
    Yeah, we'd win that until the Chinese got to grips with it!

The Aussies would probably beat us anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

the happy-clappy types will have a go at you for saying that but we need more of the ruthless, "don't accept second best" attitude or we'll get nowhere every time except maybe a few medals for our boxers who actually have the right attitude and expect to win

to be honest, winning your first four races and then not medalling is a huge let-down

she of course did extremely well to raise all our expectations but unfortunatly failed to deliver when it counted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement