Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

The Aussies would probably beat us anyway!

But seriously we actually wouldn't. Australia as you say and can you imagine the Spanish or someone getting to grips with it after 8 or so years training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Rihanna - make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world as the intro song for this match, bad choice by the organisers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

GWAN CIAN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh be quiet

Excellent counter argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Shryke wrote: »
    Murphy did well. I hope she doesn't beat herself up too much. Why is everyone getting snarky about medals all of a sudden? Cop on and enjoy the games.

What are we gonna do with ourselves this time next Monday? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Cian up now

All went wrong for Cian, 12 penalties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

donfers wrote: »
    Aidric wrote: »
    Another Irish competitor melts when it matters but sure it's our best sailing result for 30 years so lets all pat ourselves on the back.

Your summary sums up everything that is wrong with the mentality of the majority of Irish competitors.

the happy-clappy types will have a go at you for saying that but we need more of the ruthless, "don't accept second best" attitude or we'll get nowhere every time except maybe a few medals for our boxers who actually have the right attitude and expect to win

to be honest, winning your first four races and then not medalling is a huge let-down

she of course did extremely well to raise all our expectations but unfortunatly failed to deliver when it counted
    Yeah, Roy Keane was pointing this attitude out during the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Another Irish competitor melts when it matters but sure it's our best sailing result for 30 years so lets all pat ourselves on the back.

Your summary sums up everything that is wrong with the mentality of the majority of Irish competitors.

the happy-clappy types will have a go at you for saying that but we need more of the ruthless, "don't accept second best" attitude or we'll get nowhere every time except maybe a few medals for our boxers who actually have the right attitude and expect to win

to be honest, winning your first four races and then not medalling is a huge let-down

she of course did extremely well to raise all our expectations but unfortunatly failed to deliver when it counted

I agree we need to be more ruthless and raise expectations, but talking down the athletes after the have performed well is hardly constructive. They'll be more hurt and determined then anyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Omg poor Annalise - gutted for her :-( still though best sailing result for Ireland for 30 years so not too bad :-)

Melted? Lol. She sailed very well in her stronger legs just couldn't build up a big enough lead to hold onto unfortunately.

44 points was an excellant score and would have comfortably won a medal 4 years ago.

• Advertisement

Equestrian is so stressful to watch. I was only a young teen in 04 but bloody hell I remember the stress of watching O'Connor at Athens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

****ing save it for another time. She doesn't need to read your crap and neither does anyone else. Talk about it again later on after the loss, not that you will. You only want to get a cheap shot in at her while the loss is fresh. Such a cnutish attitude to take. You'd swear she sank coming out the gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Of course it's disappointing no one said it isn't but the girl did incredibly well regardless, was she a real medal hope all along?? I don't think so. And then she started doing really well and everybody expected her to get a medal and when she didn't it's typical Irish begrudgery from some people - oh she's no use, came fourth not good enough blah blah. Us suddenly turning around and saying " that's not good enough" is not going to magically make the Irish athletes win more medals FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Annalise in tears =(

Feel so sorry for Annalise, she's genuinely gutted :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

another irish competitor more than likely gone, cian o connor with 12 faults

looks like as usual it's our boxers doing the business

i don't know i think it's better sometimes to criticise and highlight failings than to pat someone on the back and say "ah sure you did your best - unlucky"

if we want to improve we need to be more ruthless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bad form from RTE making her do an interview in that emotional state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Ahh jaysus, Annalise being interviewd on RTE now, still in tears. Heartbreaking!

Well Done Annalise! We're sure you'll be back and there'll probably be loads more support for you over the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Which is great, but if Annalise was given more than a few grand from a private sponsor and a Mr Tayto everyone would be complaining that an elitist sport was getting funded when there is a recession on.

The country lets it's sportsmen and women down, not the other way around.

• Advertisement

Exactly right and that's the point I'm getting at. She of course deserves credit for her performance but the harsh reality is she didn't perform when it really mattered.

I'm sure she knows that as well so it's not like it's an unfounded attack.

I see the high horse brigade are out in force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh be quiet

Excellent counter argument.

That's all it deserves to be quit honest - knew you were gonna come back and say that anyway :-) so predictable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Looking back Analise was very unfortunate as the 4 sailors dominated the event, she was 2 points better than the great Ben Ainslie, so she was unlucky to come up against such strong competitors.
    Anyway a proper meltdown in the shooting. Matthew Emmons of the USA needed just 6.6 with his last shot to win the gold medal in 2008 of the 50m 3 position shooting. The average is 10 and no-one at this level rarely shoots below 8.5. However he fired prematurely and scored 4.4 to only finish 4th.
    This year in second place he shot 7.6 with his last shot to end up in 3rd place!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Must be getting tips from the Beeb.

Probably because the showjumping is on.

• Advertisement

Are they in with a medal shout?

Probably because the showjumping is on.

A few on the tv, a few on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

If you're such an expert on Sailing and other athletic events, why don't you show us how's it's done. Looking forward to seeing Aidric in Rio.

Point is the majority of these Irish athletes at the Olympics get zero help in terms of coaching/organization from the government and put their own time and money into training and preparation. Actually it's a credit that the likes of Murphy come 4th in spite of her difficulties.

Are they in with a medal shout?

Not in the showjumping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Cian up now

Meh.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I predicted Ireland would win 3 medals at these games, unfortunately the sailing was one of them, so I think it will be 2 now.

BUT we have some talent in the equestrian, there is a chance there, but the competition is intense, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

patmac wrote: »
    Whats with the Irish finishing in 4 th. Unlucky.

You make your own luck

My nerves are shot for Katie Taylor. Hope she does it, for herself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Oh and sports council please give this girl shedloads of money to prepare for Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I didn't like the scoring yesterday. Let them judge this fairly at least.
    Go on Katie!

And keep asking questions. Same with the beeb and Gay last night. Don't like it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Anyone know if BBC one is showing Katie?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Come on Katie!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

So what round is Katie is fighting in? Quarters or semis?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

Colmustard wrote: »
    I predicted Ireland would win 3 medals at these games, unfortunately the sailing was one of them, so I think it will be 2 now.

BUT we have some talent in the equestrian, there is a chance there, but the competition is intense, fingers crossed.
    Theres a good chance we could get three in the boxing alone

• Advertisement

That's all it deserves to be quit honest - knew you were gonna come back and say that anyway :-) so predictable
    FatherTed wrote: »
    If you're such an expert on Sailing and other athletic events, why don't you show us how's it's done. Looking forward to seeing Aidric in Rio.

The standard of debating is quite strong.

I never claimed to be an expert on the sport of sailing. My point is this: she put herself in a strong position to medal but failed to perform at the crucial stage of the competition. You can put this down to mental frailty perhaps but it's an all too common trait with Irish athletes unfortunately.

I think you are still spot on with 3, 2 of Katie, Michael and paddy would get us there.

They will, she's fighting against a British girl.

Edit: URL's post says otherwise, sorry.

It's on the Red Button, or on BBC Olympic 3 for those on Freesat

Nope, they're showing the gymnastics.

Surely either Conlan or Barnes will win one if not both.

You make your own luck

Exactly, no such thing as luck, it's all about talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Annalise Murphy did great, yes she is disappointed, we are disappointed, but I bet most of us didn't know of her before the Olympics.
    We all hoped for better but 4 doesn't go into 3 and unfortunately Annalise and Ireland lost out but she did her best and that is what mattered.

There should be no negative comments to a person who did their best and whom will do her best into the future, she will learn from this experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

cgpg5 wrote: »
    If Gaelic football was to theoretically become an olympics sport in 2020 would we even win? :D
    Most played sport in NZ = soccer.

Most played sport in Australia = soccer.

Most played sport in Canada= soccer.

Most played sport in GB = soccer.

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »

The standard of debating is quite strong.

I never claimed to be an expert on the sport of sailing. My point is this: she put herself in a strong position to medal but failed to perform at the crucial stage of the competition. You can put this down to mental frailty perhaps but it's an all too common trait with Irish athletes unfortunately.

You are the one putting it down to mental frailty. She is a 22 year old at her first Olympics for God sakes. She performed brilliantly, regardless of the medal race result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement