Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

kfallon wrote: »
    Wash your mouth out :p

Commentry was streets ahead, with no bias on Jonas. Infact commentators spoke more about Katie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yay! Synchronized swimming is on the red button. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

leahyl wrote: »
    Bernard is hot!!!

You're only watching these games for the perving :pac:

Excuuuuuse me! I resent that comment :-P I support the Irish at every opportunity - ESP if they are cute boxing analysts :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Are you likely to get the abuse I got for saying that?

I think people have a problem with the way you phrased it. Particularly so soon after she delivered so brilliantly for us.

Anyway, it's a discussion for another time / thread - is there a politically incorrect hot girlies of the Olympics thread? If not, why not?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Excuuuuuse me! I resent that comment :-P I support the Irish at every opportunity - ESP if they are cute boxing analysts :-P

You were getting frisky over Bolt the other day ;)

You are caught :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nice touch by Jonas holding the rope up for Katie to exit the ring,class act
    Think they all do that. Along the lines of making a tunnel in rugby etc. Definitely seen others do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Just reading an article about Katie there. I never knew her brother was a mathematics lecturer at Trinity.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics-2012/irish-news/katies-a-natural-says-sparring-partner-brother-3189603.html

That sort of throws a spanner in the works for the people that want to claim that Katie has bad parents for getting her into boxing :pac:

The brother is hot too, apparently

He was a former young scientist of the year in 2001, Investigating symmetrical shapes formed by polygons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You were getting frisky over Bolt the other day ;)

You are caught :P

And don't forget Lochte! Although after seeing a video of him being interviewed that someone put up he appears to be a "dumb jock" which is quite a turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Is every post shoving an opinion down people's throats, or just mine?

I'll be oppressing you next
    keith16 wrote: »
    Whoa horsey, not oppression! Anyway, you reckon Jessica Ennis is hot. I think she is not. Therefore, you are wrong.
    Are you likely to get the abuse I got for saying that?

If both were British I doubt you'd get any support for your opinion.
    I think people have a problem with the way you phrased it. Particularly so soon after she delivered so brilliantly for us.

Anyway, it's a discussion for another time / thread - is there a politically incorrect hot girlies of the Olympics thread? If not, why not?!

Mod

Enough already. It would be a shame to be thread banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The BBC gave some great comments about our Katie to spite her having a British opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Larianne wrote: »
    I think they surprised everyone this year.

Never thought Beth Tweddle would medal (rhymes! :) ) esp at this stage of her career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

katie taylor is brilliant, really proud of her, lots of pressure on her and she showed her class, she's here for gold lads, no happy with a medal nonsense form her

still a bit gutted about annalise though, i feel bad for her after watching the interview - lots of our athletes seem to have been in tears at this olympics during interviews, really going down the shoreside each time on the downwind cost her - she did brilliantly to put herself in a position to win a gold and then in the race she seemed in control of bronze at least as she was ahead of the belgian most of the time but the belgian took huge chunks out of her on the downwind - i just can't understand why she seemed to repeat the mistake three times, just really felt a medal was there for her and after leading for so long to go down to fourth is tough, i don't know if we should be saying "4th was brilliant, well done, super effort" or "you will learn from letting that slip, that was disappointing - a medal was there for you but you kind of blew it in the end"

we still have medal possibilities with 4 boxers, 1 walker and 1 canoeist so 6 golds there and the regret over the annalise near miss might go away:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

My other Olympic crush apart from Katie is in the final of the pole vault later, Yelena who has the world record! Wont get to see it live though as I'm watching Batman in the IMAX!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    My other Olympic crush apart from Katie is in the final of the pole vault later, Yelena who has the world record! Wont get to see it live though as I'm watching Batman in the IMAX!

Batman is a shoe in for gold surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

You know they'll be showing Batman tomorrow too? ;)

The suit weighs him down a bit in the Athletics but he's in good shape

Sea Filly wrote: »
    You know they'll be showing Batman tomorrow too? ;)

Yes but IMAX booked out for ages, we have this booked since June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

He failed the gender test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Jeez, I go away from this thread for an hour and all hell breaks loose!

Now lads, do we have to bring Katie Taylor home early just to sort this out? :D

Well Done Katie..... GOING FOR GOLD!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Yay! Synchronized swimming is on the red button. :D

Feck sake! Why do they have to have everything on at the same time!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Didn't you hear ??? Dodgy knee. No cartilage

Jeez, I go away from this thread for an hour and all hell breaks loose!

Now lads, do we have to bring Katie Taylor home early just to sort this out? :D

Sorry........I'll be good :o

donfers wrote: »
    katie taylor is brilliant, really proud of her, lots of pressure on her and she showed her class, she's here for gold lads, no happy with a medal nonsense form her

still a bit gutted about annalise though, i feel bad for her after watching the interview - lots of our athletes seem to have been in tears at this olympics during interviews, really going down the shoreside each time on the downwind cost her - she did brilliantly to put herself in a position to win a gold and then in the race she seemed in control of bronze at least as she was ahead of the belgian most of the time but the belgian took huge chunks out of her on the downwind - i just can't understand why she seemed to repeat the mistake three times, just really felt a medal was there for her and after leading for so long to go down to fourth is tough, i don't know if we should be saying "4th was brilliant, well done, super effort" or "you will learn from letting that slip, that was disappointing - a medal was there for you but you kind of blew it in the end"

we still have medal possibilities with 4 boxers, 1 walker and 1 canoeist so 6 golds there and the regret over the annalise near miss might go away:)

Ditto she was one of my predictions for a medal, a mate of mine who is involved in that sport told me to put money on her months ago, I didn't but I had some expectations.

I predicted 3 medals for Ireland now it may only be 2. But we may do something in equestrian Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

A quote from Jonas on Katie:

'The only way I could have beaten her was throwing the kitchen sink, or driven a bus over her.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone notice how the RTE commentator made sure to note of some tenuous Irish linkage for Natasha Jonas just in case won that bout!

Hazel Irvine was most taken with that fight (sorry boxing match).

How the feck do these vaulters land the vaults ? :eek:

I mean the energy they land with. I'm constantly amazed their knees aren't blowing out or legs snapping:eek:

Does anyone know when the final bouts are on????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone notice how the RTE commentator made sure to note of some tenuous Irish linkage for Natasha Jonas just in case won that bout!

Hazel Irvine was most taken with that fight (sorry boxing match).

Who's Hazel Irvine ?

statesaver wrote: »
    Who's Hazel Irvine ?

The BeeB sport presenter, she's very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Colmustard wrote: »
    Ditto she was one of my predictions for a medal, a mate of mine who is involved in that sport told me to put money on her months ago, I didn't but I had some expectations.

I predicted 3 medals for Ireland now it may only be 2. But we may do something in equestrian Fingers crossed.

We still have Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlan just one win away from a medal too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Who's Hazel Irvine ?

The BBC presenter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Why do RTE do that?

"What a day it's been, goodbye from us here in the studio"

[10 minutes of ads]

"Hello, and you are very welcome to day 10 of the Olympics. Coming up after the break, we look back on everything we have shown this morning, discuss it at length, AGAIN. After that we have some ads and finally we have a quick round up of some of the 'other' (not boxing) highlights from day 10".

Who's Hazel Irvine ?

She is the BBC presenter who is on this afternoon - she also said anyone who thinks that womens boxing should not be an Olympic sport should watch that bout.

Larianne wrote: »
    Feck sake! Why do they have to have everything on at the same time!! :mad:

Its the two week window they have to stage the games which causes everything to be crammed in, they did try spacing out events in the past. The 1908 London Olympics opened on April 27 and closed on October 31st.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Katie will be the most popular baby's name next year. Guarantee it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Katie will be the most popular baby's name next year. Guarantee it!

Them poor boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Some great vaults in mens gymnastics going on right now. Class stuff.

A quote from Jonas on Katie:

'The only way I could have beaten her was throwing the kitchen sink, or driven a bus over her.'

BBC are quoting her as saying this
    I could have thrown the kitchen sink at her - I could have driven a bus at her - and it wouldn't have worked.'"

Although I couldn't get over for the games, the acc was just to expensive, I find myself wanting to go to London as a tourist after the games.

Although I lived there for about 6 months I never really seen the sights. So the Olympics do act as a tourist draw for some.

• Advertisement

Rich Fellas just jumping for the USA in the Equestrian team event!

Kersh wrote: »
    Some great vaults in mens gymnastics going on right now. Class stuff.

Korean guy at the end was unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Korean guy at the end was unreal

Absolute class!

mike65 wrote: »
    Rich Fellas just jumping for the USA in the Equestrian team event!

The posh horsie ****e is still on ?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Wow i must say what an awesome fighter katie is, I dare to say she could probably compete in one of the mens lighter weight divisions and be not out of place. She looks out of this world, gold medal has to be guaranteed(touch wood)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Colmustard wrote: »
    Although I couldn't get over for the games, the acc was just to expensive, I find myself wanting to go to London as a tourist after the games.

Although I lived there for about 6 months I never really seen the sights. So the Olympics do act as a tourist draw for some.

I want to go to Weymouth, looks lovely :)

A days sightseeing in London costs nothing (except the price of your oyster ticket). If the weathers good, you have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

needs to go clear here..

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

its a jumpoff..exciting times..

I want to go to Weymouth, looks lovely :)

A days sightseeing in London costs nothing (except the price of your oyster ticket). If the weathers good, you have a great time.

I am thinking over 5 days, camera, peeker hat and money belt a real tourist, go look at the Olympic park, the Tower, Parliament, see les miserables, sample the night life, the works.

As I said I lived there for about 6 months and loved it but when you are working in a place you never really get round it. Like there are tourist spots in Dub which I never seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

How the feck do these vaulters land the vaults ? :eek:

I mean the energy they land with. I'm constantly amazed their knees aren't blowing out or legs snapping:eek:

The mat is really good at absorbing energy. BUT torn ACL's and dislocated knees are common enough on vault- it can happen if you don't land perfectly ready to absorb the landing. Aliya Mustafina the new bars champion tore her ACL on one only last year- amazing comeback.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement