Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Mens cycle sprint final, this will be good, come-on jason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Just watched the interview with Annalisse Murphy, she is absolutely devastated, feel really sorry for her. brilliant effort, really unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

18 for GB coming up? Come on Jason!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    18 for GB coming up? Come on Jason!

19 I really can't see anyone beating Pendleton. She is in the semis now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

WumBuster wrote: »
    Just watched the interview with Annalisse Murphy, she is absolutely devastated, feel really sorry for her. brilliant effort, really unlucky

i feel sorry for her but she wasn't unlucky, the chinese, dutch and belgian girl read the sailing conditions better when it counted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

donfers wrote: »
    i feel sorry for her but she wasn't unlucky, the chinese, dutch and belgian girl read the sailing conditions better when it counted

Hate saying it, but I agree. She blew a medal really.

She can still hold her head high. 4th is fantastic achievement, but it could been bit better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Cian O'Connor misses out on the show jumping final.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Probably a bit of inexperience caught her out in the end, hopefully the old adage "You gotta lose one to win one" applies to sailing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

A quote from Jonas on Katie:

'The only way I could have beaten her was throwing the kitchen sink, or driven a bus over her.'

Heh, nice bit of humour from Jonas. She's a good sport. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Get in there!!!!

Jason Kenny, just fantastic.

• Advertisement

Welldone Jason Kenny another gold for TGB. A good race as well.

Aidric wrote: »
    Love it.

Now THAT'S killer instinct. :cool:

Colmustard wrote: »
    Its looking like more golds for team GB in the velodrome.

Yawn.

That's by FAR my least favourite Olympic sport. It just seems so... madey up. And is dull to boot.

LOVE the GB female gymnastics outfits. Glittery! /girly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Yawn.

That's by FAR my least favourite Olympic sport. It just seems so... madey up. And is dull to boot.

Oh really? Its by far my favourite. The drama and excitement are second to none in the olympic games in my opinion. Each to their own of course.

Katie's half-English!

i think kenny would have beaten hoy if they were allowed to have two in this competition, the fact that team gb chose kenny says it all - would be interesting to see the contest though

pendleton will take gb to 19 golds

farah should win 20 in the 5,000 metes

and then they have 6 or 7 boxers still going strong, should get 2-3 minimum gold out of that

i am not sure if they have any sailors in contention still, i assume they do
    that will take them to 22-24, have they any other gold possibilities?

they got 19 in beijing and they were over the moon with that, the home olympic bounce should take them near or beyond 25

so cards on the table, will they get more or less than 25 gold medals?

it's a simple question and the olympic couch potato experts can really shine here - what do you think?

Yawn.

I love it it is easilly my favourite event. But there are sports I wont watch like premiership soccer or tennis.

Different horse I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Brilliant by Kenny! 18 for GB! Now come on Vicky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

i think kenny would have beaten hoy if they were allowed to have two in this competition, the fact that team gb chose kenny says it all - would be interesting to see the contest though

and then they have 6 or 7 boxers still going strong, should get 2-3 minimum gold out of that

they got 19 in beijing and they were over the moon with that, the home olympic bounce should take them near or beyond 25

it's a simple question and the olympic couch potato experts can really shine here - what do you think?

Could take 2-3 in Canoe Sprint this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I love the track cycling! One of my favourite events. Boxing is my least favourite, unfortunately! Can't watch it :D

So bar Boxing have we any other chance of getting a medal?

Fancy Conlan to win his fight, but Barnes fight is 50/50 imo. If we get to four medals it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Fancy Conlan to win his fight, but Barnes fight is 50/50 imo. If we get to four medals it would be great.

Our canoe sprinter has a realistic outside chance, so im told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh, nice bit of humour from Jonas. She's a good sport. :)

I think I'd rather be hit by the bus than either of them. That was a cracking fight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If it wasn't for Phelps getting five hundred golds for swimming fast with a bunch of different strokes then GB would be up with them for second place in the medals table. 16 golds in the swimming is far more dominant in that sport than anything GB have done in the cycling and rowing due to the huge number of events they have in the pool.

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Be great if we could just get a medal somewhere other then Boxing. Today was our best chance in the sailing.

Confident enough to suggest that I think we will at least get 1 more medal in the boxing and hoping with a bit of luck that it will be 2.

walkiing and canoeing

dream scenario six gold medals

likely scenario: 1 gold, 2 bronze

nightmare scenario: paddy barnes headbuts the referee, katie fails a drug test, our canoeist drowns and the walker is attacked by a crazed irish priest 100 metres from the line after breaking his balls for 50km in the hardest event imaginable

Yeah it wud be great he might finish fourth and come home to a heroes reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

How many boxers do we have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

crazed irish priest

Kind of wondering when he is going to show up

• Advertisement

Be great if we could just get a medal somewhere other then Boxing. Today was our best chance in the sailing.

Confident enough to suggest that I think we will at least get 1 more medal in the boxing and hoping with a bit of luck that it will be 2.

Oh our racewalker has a decent chance too, he came ninth in his weaker event, said he was just trying to get a feel for the course. So there are two decent shots outside of the boxing ring :)

Kind of wondering when he is going to show up

Mens marathon, Saturday. Have the popcorn ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pendleton is amazing

Yeah it wud be great he might finish fourth and come home to a heroes reception.

Nope, that would not be great?

Mens marathon, Saturday. Have the popcorn ready

Yeah, was gonna say the mens marathon allright. Probably the easiest to target security wise.

Does anyone know if the route is the same as the womens?

I was under the impression that the marathon finished with one lap of the olympic stadium which wasn't the case with the ladies event.

keith16 wrote: »
    Pendleton is amazing

Laura Trott just kick ass in the elimination thingy too

Pendleton is amazing

the poor ossies have had a catastrophic olympics, do you hope meares beats her in the final and restores their morale a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The omnium mass sprint is great gas altogether.

Are there elimination races on today?

You just missed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rob Hefferan wasn't too far off the pace in the 20k walk, so you never know he could have one more big performance in him for the 50k.

We've Olive Loughnane in the women's race also. Does anyone know how she's expected to fair? She did win a silver at the world championships three years ago.

Malari wrote: »
    How many boxers do we have?

We have 2 in semi final which are Katie and Nevin. They are sure of Bronze now no matter what.

2 other Irish fighters remain. Michael Conlan and Paddy Barnes. They are both in Quarter Finals and if both win they are sure of Bronze Medal at very worst. Michael Conlan fights French Boxer Nordine Oubaali and I fancy Conlan to win it myself.

Paddy Barnes is up against Indian Laishram and I think this is going be close fight myself. If Paddy does win I dont think he will go any further though as his next opponent looks nailed on for Gold.

You just missed it

Probably be on RTE in half an hour so. Damn my lack of a red button!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

mike65 wrote: »
    The omnium mass sprint is great gas altogether.
    Did Flann O'Brien make up that sport?

You just missed it

Probably be on RTE in half an hour so. Damn my lack of a red button!!!!!

It was on one of the BBC channels, you'll get it on the imternet

You just missed it

And it was awesome.

I'm telling you - we need to build us one of these velodromes for friday night betting and drinks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

And it was awesome.

I'm telling you - we need to build us one of these velodromes for friday night betting and drinks :D

There are 2 unremarkable ones in Ireland already and there's some talk about building quite a fancy one in Dundalk

http://www.cuchulainncyclingpark.com/

There's been talk about building one in Dundalk

I think Ireland could do well in this, we have a good cycling tradition and cycling is a growing sport in Ireland.

And it was awesome.

That would indeed be awesome! In all seriousness, hopefully with these games on our doorstep it will increase participation in what we would regard 'niche' sports.

GB are absolutely creaming the golds in the velodrome, so it's obviously not so niche over there.

• Advertisement

There's been talk about building one in Dundalk

Outdoors !?!??!?!?

Needs to be indoors in this country come-on.

Also no disrespect to Dundalk but would need to be in Dublin, Galway or Cork to get the numbers such a thing would need.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement