Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

pithater1 wrote: »
    UPC :(
    You're missing out man, BBC red button is the bizz nizz :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What the fuck are you paying UPC for?

The red button even works on Freeview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Only seeing the Mens Sprint Final now in Track Cycling. One word.

Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What the fuck are you paying UPC for?

The red button even works on Freeview.

Bloody management company signed an exclusivity deal with the shower. Only way to get telly

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Gabby looking particularly fine on the BBC tonight..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Bloody management company signed an exclusivity deal with the shower. Only way to get telly
    You watch TV in the shower? Isn't that dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Really good b'ball game, so far.

You watch TV in the shower? Isn't that dangerous?

Only way to do it ;)

Stuck following the game on Bet365's rball FML ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

UPC :(

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

Euro live link for the basketball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

FFS BBC why cut off now? Match is starting to get interesting.

They'll prob be back to it. they have the long HT break now

• Advertisement

Just watching the highlights of the Womans Uneven Bars. Looks like it was just that bad landing from Beth Tweddle that but her down to Bronze. Still amazing to watch though.

Sparks43 wrote: »

Thank you kind sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Katie on again on beeb.

Your man's a very good commentator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'm off to bed. Day 10 has been an emotional ferris wheel (like a roller-coaster, it has ups and downs, but as I watched it on RTE, it quickly became predictive and repetitive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Katie on again on beeb.

unlike our jimmy the gee

seriously jimmy is sooooooooo biased its embarrasssing GET HIM OFF the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

fryup wrote: »
    unlike our jimmy the gee

seriously jimmy is sooooooooo biased its embarrasssing GET HIM OFF the air

I like Jimmy McGee. He's like a crazy old uncle who knows way too much about sport.

I also like the fact that he's biased. It'd be different if he was on the BBC where more people are watching than just brits, but on RTE, sure it's only us watching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

What Irish are involved tomorrow and what times?

Thanks very glad. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Katie on again on beeb.

Watched there instead of RTE earlier. They also showed all the other fights in Katies group live, surprised RTE didn't do this considering she could be upagainst some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

fryup wrote: »
    that womens Belarus shot putt champion, Nadzeya Ostapchuk

gotta be a bloke surely:confused:

From facebook:

"Congratulations to Ireland's Shane Byrne for winning gold for Belarus" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

I like Jimmy McGee. He's like a crazy old uncle who knows way too much about sport.

I also like the fact that he's biased. It'd be different if he was on the BBC where more people are watching than just brits, but on RTE, sure it's only us watching!

The BBC are incredibly biased towards British athletes, as are RTE towards Irish athletes, NBC towards American athletes and so on. I don't see any problem with it at all, and find it odd that some people expect anything different. This is what sport does, people rally around their club, team, nation or whatever.

• Advertisement

Joshua fighting now on Bbc 1

Could be a good fight:D

Durant on fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Durant just scored 28 points in 11 and a half mins,half man half amazing! Kobe playing selfish, keeps going isolation and firing up bad shots, niggly game, Scola and USA coach got into it a bit there

bwatson wrote: »
    The BBC are incredibly biased towards British athletes, as are RTE towards Irish athletes, NBC towards American athletes and so on. I don't see any problem with it at all, and find it odd that some people expect anything different. This is what sport does, people rally around their club, team, nation or whatever.

They were not with the Taylor v Jonas fight today. Taylor got way more commentry than the British girl from start to finish, and was tipped for the Gold as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Kobe Bryant is Colin Jackson's twin :eek: how have I never noticed that before

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Right- i took an extended lunch break to watch the sailing today and two things stood out for me....
    1) why did AnnAlise Murphy, not once, not twice, but three times head for the shore during the race. Surely she'd have known that after the first two times she lost places?

2) coming up towards the final 'turn' she was about 10-15 metres ahead of the belgian...why the puck didn't she just keep looking behind her and do what yer wan did? If yer wan decided to sail to france, then follow her- just stay ahead of her!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Right- i took an extended lunch break to watch the sailing today and two things stood out for me....
    1) why did AnnAlise Murphy, not once, not twice, but three times head for the shore during the race. Surely she'd have known that after the first two times she lost places?

2) coming up towards the final 'turn' she was about 10-15 metres ahead of the belgian...why the puck didn't she just keep looking behind her and do what yer wan did? If yer wan decided to sail to france, then follow her- just stay ahead of her!!

I'm not really sure of the rules but it looks like the big occasion got to her.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

irish-stew wrote: »
    They were not with the Taylor v Jonas fight today. Taylor got way more commentry than the British girl from start to finish, and was tipped for the Gold as well.

Yeah, but I think thats fair enough. Katie Taylor is a class above and any boxing fan can appreciate that. Its not like they dont celebrate British victories in the velodrome, at Dorney Lake or on the track with a fair amout of impartiality though. Its just what happens at sporting events and I don't think that anybody should begrudge the broadcaster of any nation getting behind their representitives, whether they are a bigger broadcaster like the BBC or the national broadcaster of Slovenia. The Olympics see nations come together for sure, but the competition and rivalry is as real as it is in the soccer or rugby world cup for sure.

As long as a broadcaster isnt actively abusing or mocking another nation I cant see any problem.

Right time for bed

Have to get up and pack for England in the morning

Shooting,Fishing,Cycling and lots of Drinking in store

Cant wait:D

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    I'm not really sure of the rules but it looks like the big occasion got to her.

Winning the first four races might have shocked even herself, too.

I'd just like to take this chance to say **** you to the Argentinian basketball team for that pathetic collapse in the 2nd half

I'd just like to take this chance to say **** you to the Argentinian basketball team for that pathetic collapse in the 2nd half

One silver medal all games, a pathetic return for a country with such a large population (nearly 40 million) and sporting tradition. Maybe Christina De Kirchner's decision to stay away from the opening ceremony was more than just a crass and inappropriate political statement? Maybe she knew how poor Team Argentina were! :P

One silver medal all games, a pathetic return for a country with such a large population (nearly 40 million) and sporting tradition. Maybe Christina De Kirchner's decision to stay away from the opening ceremony was more than just a crass and inappropriate political statement? Maybe she knew how poor Team Argentina were! :P

Never mind that, they just lost me money, thats the most important bit

Brazil will beat them, I reckon.

Their women's hockey team look strong, so that should be one more. Would not be confident in the basketball team judging by tonight, and that they struggled against Tunisia.

• Advertisement

As long as a broadcaster isnt actively abusing or mocking another nation I cant see any problem.

Gary Lineker was mocking Germany having no medals after only a few days, which was unnecessary, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Gary Lineker was mocking Germany having no medals after only a few days, which was unnecessary, IMO.

People will take offence to anything, it was gentle ribbing to the "old enemy" sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If you take out the third quarter, where the US out-scored them 42-17 (5 points average every minute), the Argies competed very well and matched them for most of the game. That purple patch where Kevin Durrant and Lebron James got 7-8 three pointers between them took the US out of reach. Ginobli was absolute class for Argentina, it's easy to see he had many years of NBA experience with San Antonio. His passing was sublime.

Argies took their eye off the ball tonight, but the Lithuanians showed on Friday that Americans are beatable. Spain could certainly take them, and there's a good chance they'll meet in the final after losing to Brazil tonight.

Lots speculating that the Spanish lost on purpose to avoid USA until the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

the thing is though, they are not. infact thy are probably one of the most impartial broadcasters in the world. what they suffer from is the fact that everybody reads their media.

have a look at the comments sections on any of there newspapers its mostly 'foreigners'. you dont see that on the us or australian titles. i think the daily mail is the most visited news website in the world now (christ!). and the bbc, god i miss it living in france....

i live on the french/spanish border and you want to see their media, jesus christ! the home athletes are untouchable and NEVER wrong. the irish media is not quite as bad but worse that the british. the difference is no one reads our media to decide that we are 'arrogant' as well.

the main thing is there are people on this site that scrutinize any aspect of british culture/media to find examples that reinforce ideas that they want the brits associated with.

its their own media talking about their most successful olympics ever thats at home thats a raging success. let them have their moment...

by all accounts the irish athletes have been getting an amazing reaction from the brit crowd as well, and definitely coverage above countries of similar size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Right time for bed

We must be in with a shout for a medal in the drinking anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

god 287
    diegomaradona 272
    nicevery 270
    jesus shaves 265
    tadghSk 264
    mynameisurl 254
    irish stew 224
    pherekydes 212
    sparks 207
    barney92 195
    samich 175
    mars bar 172
    deftlefthand 160
    westendgirlie 145
    kfallon 136

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Right time for bed

Enjoy Sparks, and anyone else who said they were going to an event :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Couldnt watch the fight live yesterday as had to work (no bank hols for us here in the UK!).. but had twitter feeds and messages throughout...amazing! And the loudest recorded crowd at the games! Hurray!

Absolutely like a kid waiting for Santa, waiting for Thursday..our seats are not as great as we'd like (pure lottery) but regardless the atmosphere will be electric and I'm confident we'll see her take the gold medal. Cannot wait. Two more sleeps!! eeeek!

There is a great atmosphere around too in general. The cheers from Team GB's big night on Saturday could be heard out where we live, which is saying something! There's just an air of excitment, and everyone seems so much more chattier and happy then usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure the Irish media had a little smirk on its face when reporting on that brief fluffy of worry in the UK media about lack of medals after two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

raymann wrote: »
    the thing is though, they are not. infact thy are probably one of the most impartial broadcasters in the world. what they suffer from is the fact that everybody reads their media.

have a look at the comments sections on any of there newspapers its mostly 'foreigners'. you dont see that on the us or australian titles. i think the daily mail is the most visited news website in the world now (christ!). and the bbc, god i miss it living in france....

i live on the french/spanish border and you want to see their media, jesus christ! the home athletes are untouchable and NEVER wrong. the irish media is not quite as bad but worse that the british. the difference is no one reads our media to decide that we are 'arrogant' as well.

the main thing is there are people on this site that scrutinize any aspect of british culture/media to find examples that reinforce ideas that they want the brits associated with.

its their own media talking about their most successful olympics ever thats at home thats a raging success. let them have their moment...

by all accounts the irish athletes have been getting an amazing reaction from the brit crowd as well, and definitely coverage above countries of similar size.
    The commentary for KT's bout yesterday had to be heard to be believed. She was getting praised to the heavens by the Beeb's commentators, and she was fighting a British girl! Apparently she was asked after the bout what she could have done to beat Taylor, and she said something like ''throw the kitchen sink at her, or drive a bus over her!''

DOWNNNNNNNNTOWWWWWNNNNNNN
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM

Timmy MacCarthy on RTE 2 now doing his thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just turned it on,go Timmy,he is sum legend,pity we only get to hear him at the Olympics as RTE dont show much Basketball anymore

KOBE FOR THREE!!!!!

LOL

Tim MacCarthy:
    "Curiousty can go to mars.......Durant can go flying also!!!!"

Chance of a British one two in the Mens Triatalon today, and I'm gonna miss it.

:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement