Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Leryn Franco of Paraguay in the Javelin has to be one of hottest athletes at the games.

Wow, very nice. Alex Morgan for the US soccer/football team last night was very easy on the eye. The Yank goalkeeper, which I kept thinking was called Han Solo, was very tasty as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

keano_afc wrote: »
    which I kept thinking was called Han Solo, was very tasty as well.

Lol.....also useful to know if you need to smuggle some rebels across the galaxy under the Empires nose in the fastest ship possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Can we please keep the comments more geared toward the sport then how hot or not the athletes are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

What is the difference between artistic gymnastics and ordinary gymnastics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

libra02 wrote: »
    Well the Romanian did fall off the beam so it wouldn't be fair that she gets a bronze with a fall over a gymnast who stayed on and just had a wobble or two.

I think she was right to inquire. Im glad she got her bronze. She was great on the beam very powerful

Oh, I wasn't saying she shouldn't have. Just horrible to think you've got a medal and lining up beside the Chinese to then be told no you haven't got a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

I see the Americans cant take there beating again, appealed and won:rolleyes:

Not really once you fall off any appartus you never get a medel as you loose the points and the Romian had a fall off so she should have been out of medal race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Im surprised there hasn't been a thread set up for the Hot Female Athletes at London 2012

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    What is the difference between artistic gymnastics and ordinary gymnastics.

It's the same thing, isn't it? I think they call it that to differentiate between rhymthic gymnastics. OOoh, when's that on?? :D

Whats the name of RTEs commentator for the gymnastics,he is another fella they should use for other sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Im surprised there hasn't been a thread set up for the Hot Female Athletes at London 2012

Off you go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The mods would probably kill it before it took off (they are very PC these days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

kfallon wrote: »

Louisa Necib. The French call her 'The Female Zidane'. Born in the same district of Marseille as ZZ. She's a quality player - superb playmaker. She plays for Olympique Lyonnais Ladies who are probably the strongest team in Europe. The French squad is OL Ladies plus about 4/5 players from other teams.

Pity the French seem to bottle it when it counts as they have some quality players going forward.

Larianne wrote: »
    Oh, I wasn't saying she shouldn't have. Just horrible to think you've got a medal and lining up beside the Chinese to then be told no you haven't got a medal.

Oh I was not having a go at you or anything but I know it must be awful to think you have a medal and then it taken away but I say she knew that an appeal would go and was hanging in there by pure luck.

Could you imaging if it was the Russain Komova, I could see her totally freaking out & loosing it. I mean I was amazed she was not crying today as she has bawled all week.
    Mind you she was given a place on the Russain team as her mother was a top gymnast so I suppose she never had to fight for a place like the Americans, etc so I think that is why at times she just seems to loose interest or does not fight for medals alot of the time.

Whats the name of RTEs commentator for the gymnastics,he is another fella they should use for other sports

Dunno. I only watch BBC, where the commentators know what they're talking about. :D

Mens High Bar is excellent to watch.

libra02 wrote: »
    Could you imaging if it was the Russain Komova, I could see her totally freaking out & loosing it. I mean I was amazed she was not crying today as she has bawled all week.

She's her own worst enemy that one. She makes a mistake then riles herself up and makes more matches. I mean, she fell on her arse after her dismount from the beam! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The long bar competition is unreal to watch.

The next time I am drunk I am going to attempt it myself.

Potential Darwin award winner, me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Dunno. I only watch BBC, where the commentators know what they're talking about. :D

Switched to RTE for a laugh last night and it's so Mickey Mouse! At one point they went to someone called Andy Lee I think, who was never introduced, no name was displayed on screen. Who the hell is he? I presume I was meant to know :rolleyes: They are such cowboys :D

BBC for most sports; Eurosport for cycling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Mod

Can we please keep the comments more geared toward the sport then how hot or not the athletes are.

Spoilsport! I was in the middle of compiling a list of Damn Fine Fitties for us Girlies to drool over. ;)

• Advertisement

IrishAm wrote: »
    The long bar competition is unreal to watch.

The next time I am drunk I am going to attempt it myself.

Potential Darwin award winner, me.

Be some craic alright after a feed of pints :D

:eek: That German gymnast was amazing!

She's her own worst enemy that one. She makes a mistake then riles herself up and makes more matches. I mean, she fell on her arse after her dismount from the beam! :eek:

I know, as soon as she fell off you could see she just gave up and lost it completely.

Be interesting to see if she in floor final, as she can be great on it but after the week she had she do great of loose it completely.

As she has been annoying me with her sour head and crying all week I prefer if she did not get a medal.

Are you watching the Dutch guy on bar - WOW. Some perfromance - Has to be gold.

Dutch dude after him! :eek:

The Dutch guy was incredible :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

The Dutch guy was incredible :eek:

Wonderland !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

the brits just won gold in the dressage thingy

rick fella's will be disappointed to have missed out there

brits now on 20 gold, going above their excellent performance of 19 in beijing

with two gold medals almost guaranteed from pendleton and hoy today and possibly a hat-trick with laura trott in the onmium they are looking good at getting beyond 25 with farah and boxers and kayakists to come

Fair play to him! Its nice to see a country such as the Netherlands win in a sport that's dominated by the Chinese, USA, Russia and Romania. Makes a nice change.

Whooo women's floor next. :D

Track Cycling back on could be gold number 21 for GB with Laura Trott

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek:Is that a snot on the side of his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I tried to set one up, but it was locked and i was told to use the megathread.

• Advertisement

Spanish lad after having a mishap on the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I heard that in the Pole Vault they'll only give them the poles at the last minute.

No, that is the website that they use to book their accommodation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Malari wrote: »
    Switched to RTE for a laugh last night and it's so Mickey Mouse! At one point they went to someone called Andy Lee I think, who was never introduced, no name was displayed on screen. Who the hell is he? I presume I was meant to know :rolleyes: They are such cowboys :D

BBC for most sports; Eurosport for cycling :)

Not having a go but Andy Lee is a famous Irish professional boxer who fought only a couple of months ago for a shot at the World Title. RTE simply assumed you knew who he was (which you should have really known if you see yourself as able to describe their wall-to-wall coverage as "mickey-mouse").

Maybe you just prefer being spoonfed Gary Lineker's warm condescending diarrhoea (which in your case the condescension may not be displaced given your apparent lack of sporting knowledge). Tell me what to "feel" some more Gary!

Disclaimer: i like the Beeb's coverage as have enjoyed observing their pure joy at their gold medals. But RTE's coverage and analysis is great and certainly isnt "mickey-mouse". The Beeb are the host station. They were always going to be on a bigger scale werent they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

just as well Sue was not presenting when he said that mouth full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

BBC should say how old these gymnasts are...ie Now the 19 year old american.

The Keirin is great to watch,love that bike the old lad drives before them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If you have seen the Victoria Pendleton documentary on the BBC a few weeks ago it makes the women's sprint race epic (I hate the overuse of epic but this really is). Mears was portrayed as some sort of Ivan Drago character with Pendleton intent on avenging her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I've watched a couple of different feeds of the boxing and its analysis from the BBC, RTE, NBC and an Aussie channel. The Irish one is by far and away the best. The guys sitting around the table always make me feel like I know what's going on, and it's great to watch a fight, be thinking about it away myself as it happens, then listening to RTE analysis to see if what I thought was "correct." Ireland takes boxing very seriously, and the analysis is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The commentators on RTE2 now doing the basketball are the worst I think I've ever heard.

American female team seem unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't know about their boxing coverage, but RTE's general coverage has been very poor from what I've seen.

BBC isn't great but the lesser of two evils I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I've watched a couple of different feeds of the boxing and its analysis from the BBC, RTE, NBC and an Aussie channel. The Irish one is by far and away the best. The guys sitting around the table always make me feel like I know what's going on, and it's great to watch a fight, be thinking about it away myself as it happens, then listening to RTE analysis to see if what I thought was "correct." Ireland takes boxing very seriously, and the analysis is very good.

Except for the commentaries. I like Jimmy McGee but not as a boxing commentator and if you heard Marty Morrissey on the radio commentary you'd get sick as he hasn't a clue.

Thrill wrote: »
    The commentators on RTE2 now doing the basketball are the worst I think I've ever heard.

Are you dissing Tim ?? :eek:

You are not welcome here

Thrill wrote: »

Lay off Tim!!! :)

Except for the commentaries. I like Jimmy McGee but not as a boxing commentator and if you heard Marty Morrissey on the radio commentary you'd get sick as he hasn't a clue.

The BBC commentator for Katie Taylor's match was excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The BBC commentator for Katie Taylor's match was excellent

I think he was in shock at how noisy the arena got. He must have mentioned the atmosphere twice every round. The woman who was commentating seemed a lot more analytic. But I guess she was colour commentary.

Hope Laura Trott wins,she comes across as a very down to earth young woman

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I think he was in shock at how noisy the arena got. He must have mentioned the atmosphere twice every round. The woman who was commentating seemed a lot more analytic. But I guess she was colour commentary.

Lol....he was also a bit.....yeah yeah yeah....Team Gb etc.........whatever...Kate Taylor is awesome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Lay off Tim!!! :)

:D

I appear to have stepped on a landmine here.

EDIT: I know nothing about basketball so I don't know who he is.

Whats a downtown three?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wonder if the Americans are getting a little tense....

China
    USA
    Great Britain- 20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement