Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

mike65 wrote: »
    Wonder if the Americans are getting a little tense....

China
    USA
    Great Britain- 20

Don't think so - likely golds in the men's and women's basketball, in the final of women's football, Jeter and Richards are both strong contenders in the 200m, the girl coming up now in the ominum, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thrill wrote: »
    :D

I appear to have stepped on a landmine here.

EDIT: I know nothing about basketball so I don't know who he is.

Whats a downtown three?

Tims way of saying a three pointer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Laura trotts to Gold: Hammers Sarah.

Sorry. :o

Another gold for TGB Trott done it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Laura Trott wins gold. Second Olympic gold and she's only 20. Watch out Wiggins and Redgrave for your Olympic records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Talking about good coverage, Chris Boardman's analysis has been excellent all week. He's been spot on with everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Not having a go but Andy Lee is a famous Irish professional boxer who fought only a couple of months ago for a shot at the World Title. RTE simply assumed you knew who he was (which you should have really known if you see yourself as able to describe their wall-to-wall coverage as "mickey-mouse").

Maybe you just prefer being spoonfed Gary Lineker's warm condescending diarrhoea (which in your case the condescension may not be displaced given your apparent lack of sporting knowledge). Tell me what to "feel" some more Gary!

Disclaimer: i like the Beeb's coverage as have enjoyed observing their pure joy at their gold medals. But RTE's coverage and analysis is great and certainly isnt "mickey-mouse". The Beeb are the host station. They were always going to be on a bigger scale werent they?

Well, I said I only watched a few minutes of it, not wall to wall...why should I have known who he is? I know nothing about boxing. I don't like it. Like I know nothing about a lot of Olympic sports. But I like to learn. I do know an awful lot about some sports though, and I'm a fan of nearly everything. The Olympics is a time when sports programming should be catering for all fans. Yes, even fair-weather fans! There are so many people who watch sports they never normally see. Is it too much to ask to stick up "Andy Lee, Irish Professional Boxer" so people who are not familiar with him know who he is?

GB will have won 6 of the 8 track disciplines completed. From the 2 they havnt won, they have a Bronze and had Pendleton + team mate DQ'd for crossing too early.

The last 2 track events they have Pendleton and Hoy. Its almost like China and table tennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Victoria Pendleton is up.

Jesus that was close

People Pendelton is human:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Jaysus that was close.

Come on Victoria.

Close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I thought they were going to crash!

Close

.001 of a second:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Malari wrote: »
    Well, I said I only watched a few minutes of it, not wall to wall...why should I have known who he is? I know nothing about boxing. I don't like it. Like I know nothing about a lot of Olympic sports. But I like to learn. I do know an awful lot about some sports though, and I'm a fan of nearly everything. The Olympics is a time when sports programming should be catering for all fans. Yes, even fair-weather fans! There are so many people who watch sports they never normally see. Is it too much to ask to stick up "Andy Lee, Irish Professional Boxer" so people who are not familiar with him know who he is?

I take your point 100%. But i really dont think it is a sign of "mickey-mouse coverage" by them not spelling out to you who a famous irish sports person is. I prefer the way we arent spoonfed by RTE as if we are dribbling idiots when it comes to sports coverage. The BBC dont actually really analyse sports in a proper sense (except maybe Michael Johnson). They tell you how wonderful the occasion is and talk about things like "hunger" and "desire" etc which are really intangibles that should not be considered ahead of technical prowess and tactical ability. But sure how would you know seeing as you only watched a few minutes of RTE and then made your sweeping judgment?

There is something going on Pendleton may get disqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Pendleton is better when following a wheel, so winning while she was leading out was, obviously, hugely important

EDIT: Maybe not, Pendleton won't be loving that official

Colmustard wrote: »

:confused:

Colmustard wrote: »

No the result has been reversed the first victory goes to Australia.
    A harsh decision.

Edit for elbowing.

She just came out of the sprinters lane which is the red line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I will never get tired of hearing Chariots of Fire as they hand out the medals :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

She clearly came over the line.

She left the tram lines. She cant complain apart from maybe that Mears bumped her and needed to balance.

VP won the 2nd leg of the world championships final because her opponent left her lane. It made it 2-0 and she won the medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, she should be, she went across the red line, you're not meant to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

Tough titty VP!

:eek:

Anyone watching RTE ?

Eamonn Coughlan just said: "He shot his load as they say ...and eh he blew it really when he did x,y, z"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

Tough titty vp

Twice

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, she should be, she went across the red line, you're not meant to do that

She was knocked though and she had to regain her balance. That judge seems a hard ass.

I know rules are rules and fairness is fairness.

If you met Laura Trott on the street and she said she was a demon track cyclist, 2 time Olympic champion and 3 time world champion, you would laugh at her. Brilliant character.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

you wouldn't laugh AT her, you'd just laugh :) (I'd say she could give out a very quick sharp kick as well!)

So VP has to win the next two races? Excitement!

you wouldn't laugh AT her, you'd just laugh :) (I'd say she could give out a very quick sharp kick as well!)

So VP has to win the next two races? Excitement!

If she pulls it off, it will be legendary.

If you met Laura Trott on the street and she said she was a demon track cyclist, 2 time Olympic champion and 3 time world champion, you would laugh at her. Brilliant character.

LOL yeah
    I would say she finds it hard to get served in pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I take your point 100%. But i really dont think it is a sign of "mickey-mouse coverage" by them not spelling out to you who a famous irish sports person is. I prefer the way we arent spoonfed by RTE as if we are dribbling idiots when it comes to sports coverage. The BBC dont actually really analyse sports in a proper sense (except maybe Michael Johnson). They tell you how wonderful the occasion is and talk about things like "hunger" and "desire" etc which are really intangibles that should not be considered ahead of technical prowess and tactical ability. But sure how would you know seeing as you only watched a few minutes of RTE and then made your sweeping judgment?

Very harsh on the BBC. They've had great coverage and analysis with Ian Thorpe at the swimming, Michael Johnson at the athletics, Boardman and Cavendish now at the cycling.

RTE's coverage has involved a lot of waffle and incredibly long ad breaks. They lost me as a viewer when I missed the womens 400m freestyle final while they droned on about the Irish boxers that were fighting the next day. They then missed womens Keirin final while they waffled about something else and went in to an extended ad break followed by montage. When they came back there wasn't even a mention of the result.

The BBC are doing a much better job of showing the finals and medals being won which is what I want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

:eek:

Anyone watching RTE ?

Eamonn Coughlan just said: "He shot his load as they say ...and eh he blew it really when he did x,y, z"

Sounds like something Tobias Fünke would say

"I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run if you will, so I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands"

Vicky is up and its do or die.

She has to be upset about that decision.

• Advertisement

Slow bicycle race there :D

I am shocked Vicky lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Victoria Pendleton is an outrage, I demand my money back! :pac:

Not the way to finish her career (Or does she have another event?)

Pendleton was too impatient. Mears tactics were superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

Awh poor vicky :(

I'm fed up of hearing about Chris Hoy too. You'd swear he was the only man in the team sprint the way they were going on.

• Advertisement

Rascasse wrote: »
    Very harsh on the BBC. They've had great coverage and analysis with Ian Thorpe at the swimming, Michael Johnson at the athletics, Boardman and Cavendish now at the cycling.

RTE's coverage has involved a lot of waffle and incredibly long ad breaks. They lost me as a viewer when I missed the womens 400m freestyle final while they droned on about the Irish boxers that were fighting the next day. They then missed womens Keirin final while they waffled about something else and went in to an extended ad break followed by montage. When they came back there wasn't even a mention of the result.

The BBC are doing a much better job of showing the finals and medals being won which is what I want to see.

RTE have made some odd choices too. Last friday evening, it was a much bigger night in the swimming than in the athletics. Yet, they only showed highlights of all of the swimming finals after 10pm. that has annoyed more than the panellists themselves, most of whom have been quality.

Victoria Pendleton is an outrage, I demand my money back! :pac:

Not the way to finish her career (Or does she have another event?)

That's it. This is the final day of track cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

RTE are showing the women's sprint semi finals now. :rolleyes:

Rascasse wrote: »

Agreed except for Cavendish. He seems stage struck most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

anyone else hear Mears coach say "I am so fukcing proud of you"

Agreed except for Cavendish. He seems stage struck most of the time

He looks he is going to break out laughing most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

After viewing most of the sports in the Olympics, there are a few that I think should be booted out e.g. Dressage, besides the few elites, hardly anybody really does this.

Any others? Synchronized swimming? I think it's great the can hold their breath under water and do all their movements but really? We need this?

FatherTed wrote: »
    After viewing most of the sports in the Olympics, there are a few that I think should be booted out e.g. Dressage, besides the few elites, hardly anybody really does this.

Any others? Synchronized swimming? I think it's great the can hold their breath under water and do all their movements but really? We need this?

I think they should let surfing into it,that would be great to watch

He looks he is going to break out laughing most of the time

hahah yeah he comes across like a school kid who has pulled some prank and is waiting for the whoopee cushion to be sat on or something

for first few days he was constantly being caught out thinking he had said enough and then realising he had to say more

I think they should let surfing into it,that would be great to watch

Kite Surfing is in in 4 years time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement