Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

FatherTed wrote: »
    After viewing most of the sports in the Olympics, there are a few that I think should be booted out e.g. Dressage, besides the few elites, hardly anybody really does this.

Any others? Synchronized swimming? I think it's great the can hold their breath under water and do all their movements but really? We need this?

Football and Tennis, the Olympics arent even that highly rated in either sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Chris Hoy is up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With VP gone LT is my new cycling babe! She should keep me going for the next decade or so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Come on Chris, come on . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

mike65 wrote: »
    With VP gone LT is my new cycling babe! She should keep me going for the next decade or so :pac:

We'l have to set up a LT fan club :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Why does the pace bike even have pedals when its obviously motorised ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

great moment!

YES YES YES YES HURRAY . . . . .

WELL DONE SIR CHRIS - WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hoy is an animal. :eek:

• Advertisement

Is that the last track race guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

What a contrast of emotions!

Utterlu devestated for Victoria Pendleton but she will look back with a gold and a silver and another utterly dominant team display by Britain with great happiness I'm sure.

And then, what a man. Sir Chris Hoy. Just amazing!

Really annoying the way the BBC commentators insists on calling him Sir all the time

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Omg he is mighty! Fair fe K's to him.

Wow 2 bronze medals!

Good call I think :)

Yes.

The UK have exceeded their Beijing gold medal tally, and are just one shy of the total medal haul, so barring 1908, this is their best ever Olympics.

• Advertisement

Shame Victoria didn't pull it off in her final race, then again she already got a gold, and Anna Meares won this race fair & square.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

LordSutch wrote: »
    Shame Victoria didn't pull it off in her final race, then again she already got a gold, and Anna Meares won this race fair & square.

By the rules yes, but she said herself she was elbowed and was forced out of the lane. I don't think Mears broke any rules, but if Pendleton had been given that first race I'm sure she would have won the second.

She won it well tactically she was superb.

Cav really wanted to laugh there when your man said "bit of a belly"

Tox56 wrote: »
    By the rules yes, but she said herself she was elbowed and was forced out of the lane. I don't think Mears broke any rules, but if Pendleton had been given that first race I'm sure she would have won the second.

I think she was totally thrown by her relegation in the first heat.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »

Pendelton made a mistake in the second race by going early and then changing her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

GB on the same medals total as 2008, with several days still to go. :eek:

Give them both the bronze.

I'll miss seeing Victoria Pendeltons arse in that lycra kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Just to reinforce how Team GB dominated the velodrome,

10 Events
    7 Golds
    1 Silver
    1 Bronze

The rule for London was 1 entrant per country, per event (to stop one country hoovering up all the medals - ha). So the only event they didn't medal in was womens team pursuit where Pendleton/Varnish were disqualified.

Rascasse wrote: »

10 Events
    7 Golds
    1 Silver
    1 Bronze

The rule for London was 1 entrant per country, per event (to stop one country hoovering up all the medals - ha). So the only event they didn't medal in was womens team pursuit where Pendleton/Varnish were disqualified.

Utter dominance despite everything possible being done by the UCI to redress the balance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Really annoying the way the BBC commentators insists on calling him Sir all the time
    Why? Like it or not, that is his title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Just listening to BBC there apparently Britain also have the World Number 1 in BMX still to compete. The cycling team will have won the same number of medals as a medium sized country by the end of this (if they haven't already).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

There's another irish boxer Michael Conlan on later tonight for the bronze. I didn't know we had more male boxers I only thought we had Darren and John Joe. We've quite a lot of boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Anyone wrote: »
    BBC should say how old these gymnasts are...ie Now the 19 year old american.

Floor
    Gold: Aly Raisman USA 18
    Silver: Catalina Ponor ROU 24 (second Olympics)
    Bronze: Aliya Mustafina RUS 17

(non medallists...4 over 20, 1 17 year old)

Beam
    Gold: Deng Linlin China 20 (yes 20! second olympics)
    Silver: Sui Lu China 20
    Bronze: Aly Raisman USA 18

(non medallists..2 16 year olds- Gabby and Larisa the Romanian, 1 21 year old, 1 17 year old and 1 24 year old)

They must be 15 turning 16 in an Olympic year. There are 3 15 year olds, none performed today though. Male gymnasts peak at a later age.

• Advertisement

A gold medal costs 450£

Which means sir Chris Hoy is worth 2200£

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

There's another irish boxer Michael Conlan on later tonight for the bronze. I didn't know we had more male boxers I only thought we had Darren and John Joe. We've quite a lot of boxers.

We have two more fighting for medals, Conlon and Barnes. Both are classy fighters.

libra02 wrote: »
    I know, as soon as she fell off you could see she just gave up and lost it completely.

Be interesting to see if she in floor final, as she can be great on it but after the week she had she do great of loose it completely.

As she has been annoying me with her sour head and crying all week I prefer if she did not get a medal.

Are you watching the Dutch guy on bar - WOW. Some perfromance - Has to be gold.

She has had a crushing week, in fairness. Team silver in the all-around due to mistakes, AA silver ONLY because of a crap vault landing, out of bars medals because she hit the bar with her feet and incurred a deduction- she would have taken bronze or silver and then to fall off beam and sit a dismount and finish last. She lost the 2011 world championships by a miniscule fraction too. It's sad to see her being so crushed..but she's only 17 and just hasn't the maturity to cope, but that is a LOT to cope with when you have the potential and have shown the potential to be the best gymnast in the world. Wasn't the only one to cry, people more assured of medals than her cried, and several older gymnasts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Colmustard wrote: »
    A gold medal costs 450£

Which means sir Chris Hoy is worth 2200£

If Chris Hoy put his latest gold medal on eBay, I would hazard a guess and say it would go for a bit more than £450.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nice moment with Hoy and Redgrave. Didnt know Hoy was a rower. There seems to be a big amount of cross athletes with the sports. The 2 sports tend to have the same physiological attributes in terms of powered endurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Rascasse wrote: »

10 Events
    7 Golds
    1 Silver
    1 Bronze

They'd be screwed without that shít, madey up sport so.

If Chris Hoy put his latest gold medal on eBay, I would hazard a guess and say it would go for a bit more than £450.

Yep I was only messing, he has a bit of sponsorship and probably does after dinner speeches and opens a lot of shops.

I would hazard a guess and say he is probably worth a couple of mill.

Oh I was not having a go at you or anything but I know it must be awful to think you have a medal and then it taken away but I say she knew that an appeal would go and was hanging in there by pure luck.

Could you imaging if it was the Russain Komova, I could see her totally freaking out & loosing it. I mean I was amazed she was not crying today as she has bawled all week.
    Mind you she was given a place on the Russain team as her mother was a top gymnast so I suppose she never had to fight for a place like the Americans, etc so I think that is why at times she just seems to loose interest or does not fight for medals alot of the time.

What? Viktoria Komova is one of the two greatest gymnasts Russia have! Regardless of her parentage. She exploded onto the scene as a Junior in 2010 and won the youth Olympics, she took second in the worlds AA last year, she won bars at worlds and euros. Hardly a token place now is it. She has the most potential of any gymnast, but is inconsistent.

America have insane depth at the moment, more than Russia. USA could have fielded three teams. The girls they have are exceptional..but only because loads of ex Soviet Union and Romanian coaches flocked to the US. Russia have struggled to regain their crown after the soviet break-up, but they still have to fight to get on the team.

Did they bring in minimum ages for the gymnastics? Somewhere in my head I thought it was 16 - the Chinese girl on the beam there a few mins ago looked about 11.

Yes, they must be 15 turning 16 in the Olympic year. Most gymnasts are under 5 foot- it's easier if you are, and they train so hard anyway that growth spurts don't usually happen until 18. Both Chinese girls were 20- yes they were. Deng Linlin is here at her second Olympics- she won gold on beam. The silver medallist was an alternate in Beijing. How often do you see a tall Chinese girl looking older than they are? China train the hardest too, they all train together- 8 hours a day if not more.

• Advertisement

Indeed, Ireland seems to churn out boxers by the shed load, but what about every other sport? I think team Ireland should copy and paste the Team GB system and implement it here in time for the next olympics. Funded by the Irish national lottery, Ireland could, and should produce medal winners in several sports including Boxing, Swimming, Athletics, Sailing, and why not cycling too??? I nominate Eamonn Coughlan as the Irish equivalent of Seb Coe to kick start Irelands bid for medal success in the 2016 olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Sea Filly wrote: »

Um, maybe take a look at the medals table. Take away all those velodrome medals and they'd still be comfortably 3rd.

Sea Filly wrote: »

I know you said you found it boring and hard to watch earlier in the thread, but to call track cycling a **** madey up sport shows an alarming ignorance and lack of respect.

I see the Americans cant take there beating again, appealed and won:rolleyes:

Did you see the routine she beat? Catalina had serious mistakes. Aly only had one. She didn't 'take her beating' because they got her dificulty score wrong- it should have been 6.3 and they gave her 6.2. How are you NOT going to appeal when they **** up your score? So her coach appealed and that brought her into a tiebreak with Catalina. Gymnastics does not allow multiple medals. Then they look at execution (the other part that makes up the score) and Aly's was much higher, thanks to Catalina making numerous mistakes.

Catalina is the 2004 beam and floor gold medallist, the bronze team medallist and now bronze floor medallist 2012. Way to make a comment when you don't know what's going on..

Larianne wrote: »
    Oooh the chinese gymnast not happy about her team mate getting the gold instead of her. Frosty!

She's already taken the silver medal off her neck, the minute she walked off the podem.

She was the favourite to take this- and had a better routine. Deng, the gold winner, had lots of pauses- that's a deduction and they didn't take it. Maybe a bit TOO stroppy but she was underscored.

I'm assuming the IOC will look at changing the rules again after this domination.

• Advertisement

Well the Romanian did fall off the beam so it wouldn't be fair that she gets a bronze with a fall over a gymnast who stayed on and just had a wobble or two.

I think she was right to inquire. Im glad she got her bronze. She was great on the beam very powerful

Lol that was the other Romanian. The one in question, Cata, had several mistakes so Aly was right to get bronze- they got her d-score wrong, and she had higher execution to win the tiebreak. Larisa is the other Romanian. She has the highest difficulty of all of them, but she is competing in severe pain in her heels. It's hindering her bigtime. She's a fantastic gymnast though, injured right before the games. Anyway Cata is the 2004 Olympic beam and floor champion..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Yes.

The UK have exceeded their Beijing gold medal tally, and are just one shy of the total medal haul, so barring 1908, this is their best ever Olympics.

as was to be expected as a result of the amount they have invested and the fact it's a home olympics

cycling and rowing has really propelled them up the medal table and having a home olympics has certainly benefitted their horses too

what an olympics for them though, boxing winners to come, they'll get beyond 25 gold in my opinion and if everything goes to plan they may hit 30 although i'd predict 26-28 golds

they are secure in 3rd place on the table i'd say - a feat they will not accomplish in any olympics on foreign shores so they've certainly risen to the occassion and performed under the pressure of home expectations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Anyone got a link to see O'rourke in the hurdles tonight?
    sky decided to blow up..

:mad:

Indeed, Ireland seems to churn out boxers by the shed load, but what about every other sport? I think team Ireland should copy and paste the Team GB system and implement it here in time for the next olympics. Funded by the Irish national lottery, Ireland could, and should produce medal winners in several sports including Boxing, Swimming, Athletics, Sailing, and why not cycling too??? I nominate Eamonn Coughlan as the Irish equivalent of Seb Coe to kick start Irelands bid for medal success in the 2016 olympics.

Just listening to RTE, Britain spent 36m last year on cycling. We cant compete with that, and personally, given the state of the country, I would go fécking mental if we spent anything like that on any single sport.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement