Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

blueser wrote: »
    Why? Like it or not, that is his title.

I don't agree with titles
    I dont' see why a commentator should bother to use every five seconds when mentioning the guys name it to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Damn it Viper Higgins did commentary on sailing and apparently it was very funny. It's been taken off vimeo. If it anywhere else?
    An audio reply to the ioc about it here.
    http://audioboo.fm/boos/912374-the-ioc

If anyone had a link that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I know you said you found it boring and hard to watch earlier in the thread, but to call track cycling a **** madey up sport shows an alarming ignorance and lack of respect.

Alrighty!

That's how I see it. Not sure what else you'd like me to say. It's an incredibly dull, pointless sport. That Britain has latched onto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

National Anthems my favourite is the German followed closely by the Russian, my least favourite is the British a drone of a tune, ours isn't great either. I am bored of the American one, its on to much.

Just think the stupid Australians could have had the best but they voted against making Waltzing Matilda their anthem, that is a beautiful song and a weird piece of poetry by Banjo Patterson.

Shryke wrote: »
    Damn it Viper Higgins did commentary on sailing and apparently it was very funny. It's been taken off vimeo. If it anywhere else?

Is it this ?
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=510_1344196881

Who is Viper Higgins ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

LordSutch wrote: »
    :mad:

Indeed, Ireland seems to churn out boxers by the shed load, but what about every other sport? I think team Ireland should copy and paste the Team GB system and implement it here in time for the next olympics. Funded by the Irish national lottery, Ireland could, and should produce medal winners in several sports including Boxing, Swimming, Athletics, Sailing, and why not cycling too??? I nominate Eamonn Coughlan as the Irish equivalent of Seb Coe to kick start Irelands bid for medal success in the 2016 olympics.

We shouldn't send second rate competitors to the Olympics anyway. We are spending a fortune sending "no hopers", some of whom aren't even fit. With the exception of Murphy our sailors were useless. Now why send them? Our runners are very poor too and had no chance of a medal. Why send them? Same with show jumpers and swimmers. Only our boxers give us hope on a regular basis.
    It is far too easy for second rate Irish competitors to get to the Olympics and that's just not right.

Originally Posted by Pherekydes
    I know you said you found it boring and hard to watch earlier in the thread, but to call track cycling a **** madey up sport shows an alarming ignorance and lack of respect.

I love the track cycling but I hate tennis and Olympic football, I don't disrespect those sports they are just not my cup of tea. I work with a chap that would stay up all night looking at cricket.

We shouldn't send second rate competitors to the Olympics anyway. We are spending a fortune sending "no hopers", some of whom aren't even fit. With the exception of Murphy our sailors were useless. Now why send them? Our runners are very poor too and had no chance of a medal. Why send them? Same with show jumpers and swimmers. Only our boxers give us hope on a regular basis.
    It is far too easy for second rate Irish competitors to get to the Olympics and that's just not right.

We aren't spending a fortune I think you will find.
    The Brits do well because they put in the money. We don't.
    The BBC reckons it costs 10million a medal:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19144983
    Check out the table at the bottom of that link.

Who is the breaded weirdo with the weird accent on rte ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Colmustard wrote: »
    National Anthems my favourite is the German followed closely by the Russian, my least favourite is the British a drone of a tune, ours isn't great either. I am bored of the American one, its on to much.

Just think the stupid Australians could have had the best but they voted against making Waltzing Matilda their anthem, that is a beautiful song and a weird piece of poetry by Banjo Patterson.

The FULL version of the Greek national anthem(158 verses). The Italian and French national anthems are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I agree. Only the best three in the world should compete in any event. Let them fight over gold and silver. All the other wasters should become accountants or air stewards. Three people per sport is the rule from now on. And let's allow three people for each sport in each country, so they can compete for national medals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One Sport more of you should watch is Weightlifting.

Great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

O'Leary and Burrows made it to the medal race - that is not 'useless' to me, especially with the day to day unpredictably of sailing.

I agree mostly with the runners apart from the likes of Britton and O'Rourke who are capable of PB's or SB's. The marathon runners were a waste of time in particular. The swimmers pretty poor, too, with the exception of McMahon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

They should drop olympic football, its rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Best of luck to Michael Conlan tonight as he bids to get Irelands 3rd Medal of the games.

Starts at 9.00.

Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is it this ?

Who is Viper Higgins ?

Viper is a character off RTEs programme The Hardy Bucks

LordSutch wrote: »
    They should drop olympic football, its rubbish.

The women's football is actually alright. The men's is forth division rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

One Sport more of you should watch is Weightlifting.

Great to watch.

I do enjoy looking at a good snatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shryke wrote: »

Is it this ?

Who is Viper Higgins ?

Cheers. He's like a shnake. An Irish comedian/character actor. From the hardy bucks. Really good video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

We aren't spending a fortune I think you will find.
    The Brits do well because they put in the money. We don't.
    The BBC reckons it costs 10million a medal:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19144983
    Check out the table at the bottom of that link.

Who is the breaded weirdo with the weird accent on rte ?

Ol' Mr Brennan? :confused:

• Advertisement

Derval up.

False start. I didn't realise you didn't get one chance any more :( that's awful.

False start. I didn't realise you didn't get one chance any more :( that's awful.

Such pressure.

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Derval up.

Harper looks dangerous.

Some were starting to use it tactilly to disrupt other competitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Proper order.

Destruction of the field by Harper there. Fast time.

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    Some were starting to use it tactilly to disrupt other competitors.
    Aidric wrote: »
    Proper order.

Well if colm's post is true then I suppose. Just seems so tough, that split second mistake :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

come on now Derval

though Michelle should be doing her warm up dance :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

12.83 currently the best non qualifier ( 1st or 2nd )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

C'mon Derval!

And also on the Russian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why is there no lane 1 ?

• Advertisement

C'mon derval :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Go Derval!!!!

:(

telekon wrote: »
    Ol' Mr Brennan? :confused:

No idea - some guy they had on video link from London talking aobut boxing. Andy they were calling him. Young guy. Odd manner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ah well =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

God, she lost pace something shocking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Very fast heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Great start though.

Not a bad effort

She started so well :(

• Advertisement

Great start but then faded. Shame. Another fast heat.

Pearson or Harper to take gold? too hard to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Derval faded again. Maybe she needs to bulk up a bit more. All the other girls are a lot bigger than her in a muscular sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Disappointing from Derval, ran out of steam very quickly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Twas a shame, she just couldn't maintain it

WOW high jumper can jump 8 feet the height of your average ceiling.

Derval faded again. Maybe she needs to bulk up a bit more. All the other girls are a lot bigger than her in a muscular sense.

Think I know what that means.

Some great arses at these Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thought Derval was going to do it there. She still did Ireland proud though. Getting to the semi's and finishing fifth is no easy feat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

DOR doesn't have the pace, she is not a flat-track bully like some of the others, needs to work on her speed to medal

technically she's grand and a fine starter

if there was an olympic technical event pver 30metres i'd put the mortgage on her but unfortunately over 100 metres she fades faster than my three wood

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement