Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Brendan Foster classing the 800m as a ''short'' distance. Speak for yourself Brendan; for some of us, that's a bloody long way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,442 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yorkshire moves ahead of Australia and Japan in medal table.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9459158/Yorkshire-moves-ahead-of-Australia-and-Japan-on-Olympics-medals-table.html

I heard a BBC report today saying that after winning only one gold in 1996 GB took a decision to organise and fund sport properly. Seems to be paying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

blueser wrote: »
    Brendan Foster classing the 800m as a ''short'' distance. Speak for yourself Brendan; for some of us, that's a bloody long way!

For me it's a car journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What did I miss there? Something about sleeping arrangements?

Just Bill being the absolute tool that he is giving Ailish "stick" over her poor phrasing the other day.

Not sure exactly what she said, but something to the effect of Derval (or someone) spending so much time working with her coach, that they worked together, went everywhere together and practically went to bed with him.

He keeps reminding her about it ever since even though he has come out with much worse himself, and even went so far as to say that her faux pas and poor phrasing WAS WORSE than his ignorant comments on the female Kenyans never having won a particular race before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Yorkshire moves ahead of Australia and Japan in medal table.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9459158/Yorkshire-moves-ahead-of-Australia-and-Japan-on-Olympics-medals-table.html

I heard a BBC report today saying that after winning only one gold in 1996 GB took a decision to organise and fund sport properly. Seems to be paying off.

Its shít like that is why I detest the British media, which rubs off as a dislike towards them winning things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think Bill is gone a bit funny with an attractive fit young woman opposite him.

Anyone wrote: »
    Its shít like that is why I detest the British media, which rubs off as a dislike towards them winning things.

I tried to figure out what you meant there but I failed, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jaysis, it doesnt take much for you to hate something :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

blueser wrote: »
    Especially the pace they run it and yeah the 1500 is always a great race to.

I am trying to think of the most physically demanding Olympic event, the triathlon is not an Ironman but still demanding, the 800 and 400 metre look very tough, I was watching the judo and they do be absolutely wrecked at the end of their bout.

I think it has to be the gymnastic rings that is pure strength and endurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Its a joke story. The whole Yorkshire medals thing has been on twitter for the last few days. Think of Yorkshire as Englands version of Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why so :confused:

Its true **** though, yorkshire is making a disproportionately high contribution to the Team GB medal haul, so why not highlight it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

keith16 wrote: »
    Just Bill being the absolute tool that he is giving Ailish "stick" over her poor phrasing the other day.

Not sure exactly what she said, but something to the effect of Derval (or someone) spending so much time working with her coach, that they worked together, went everywhere together and practically went to bed with him.

He keeps reminding her about it ever since even though he has come out with much worse himself, and even went so far as to say that her faux pas and poor phrasing WAS WORSE than his ignorant comments on the female Kenyans never having won a particular race before.

She said she was in bed with her coach all week. Twas fairly funny and she realised how wrong it sounded after saying it but he's probably scraping the arse of the barrel with the joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Rushida is trained by Irishman Bro Colm O Connell.

Just for anyone interested.

There a documentary on tonight on RTE 1 at 11 about Rushida and Brother Colm
    I think it might have been on before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

LordSutch wrote: »
    Derval out.

sadly.

I've already noted that! :D

The British media is unable to celebrate a win without in someway running down other nations. Its not the athletes/comptetitors, its the media.

• Advertisement

The British media is unable to celebrate a win without in someway running down other nations. Its not the athletes/comptetitors, its the media.

And the Aussie media never have a go at the poms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

South Korea very unlucky to be one nil down. Playing very well. Brazil are good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

There a documentary on tonight on RTE 1 at 11 about Rushida and Brother Colm
    I think it might have been on before

Might be same one I saw on Setanta Sports few weeks ago.

If it is its worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Allyson Felix is purdy. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

they are particularly antagonistic to the australians, germans and to a lesser extent the french

i recall lineker saying "at least germany still haven't a medal" after team gb had no golds after a couple of days

and then they have a go at the other celtic nations for cheering when they do badly

they're all as bad as each other, we stand alone here in Ireland as a beacon of integrity in the sporting world despite having suffered various historical grievances, we truly are a class act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

WTF? Just seen this on the RTE tracker.
    Super-sized monster legs are those of Robert Förstemann – the 2010 UCI Track Cycling world champion - who competed at the Games. Any one for chicken drumsticks?

http://img.rasset.ie/00063d05-642.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

donfers wrote: »
    maybe we can add a bit of padding to our position on the medal table by adding medals achieve by athletes with Irish coaches or physios or who rode Irish horses - if the Olympics Committee object we can maybe reluctantly agree to put an asterisk beside our medal total but we really need to start moving up that table

Documentary on RTE 1 later tonight, Man on a mission @ 11 ish, made by eamonn coughlan for the beeb about those great Kenyan runners and the Irish brother training them. It was on BBC 3 a few weeks ago, fascinating stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Maybe, but in this instance the article makes it quite clear that they are highlighting on the positive performance of Yorkshire's athletes rather than the poor performances of other nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL at some here with the chip on the shoulder.

Yorkshire thinks its rules the world - like Cork.

Scotland also outpaces Australia I think. The Scots eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Allyson Felix is purdy. :)

She's ok...but she's no Lolo Jones!

Aidric wrote: »
    WTF? Just seen this on the RTE tracker.

http://img.rasset.ie/00063d05-642.jpg

DUDE, NSFW!

Tox56 wrote: »
    Maybe, but in this instance the article makes it quite clear that they are highlighting on the positive performance of Yorkshire's athletes rather than the poor performances of other nations.

Apart from the headline you mean?

Been going for GB in pretty much everything, but I kinda enjoyed some of their few disappointments also, just because im getting tad jealous that they are doing so well.

The support they have given the Irish must be applauded.

Been going for GB in pretty much everything, but I kinda enjoyed some of their few disappointments also, just because im getting tad jealous that they are doing so well.

Its getting boring I have to say - must be what it feels like to be an American most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Tox56 wrote: »

Apart from the headline you mean?

Newspaper with controversial headline shocker.

The British media has it's problems, but this clearly lighthearted article isn't one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Ah shelly Ann just makes ya want to smile too!

The support they have given the Irish must be applauded.

Its as if I am British I am right behind their team and because I am supporting them so much and they are winning I am enjoying these games more.

I was gutted when Victoria Pendleton lost to the Aussie today and I normally support the Aussies as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

all that hard work pays off to win gold at the olympics

they are particularly antagonistic to the australians, germans and to a lesser extent the french

i recall lineker saying "at least germany still haven't a medal" after team gb had no golds after a couple of days

and then they have a go at the other celtic nations for cheering when they do badly

they're all as bad as each other, we stand alone here in Ireland as a beacon of integrity in the sporting world despite having suffered various historical grievances, we truly are a class act

Yes indeed. The Corinthian spirit lives on in the Island of Saints and Scholars. As the Brits used to say before they became sucessful It's not the winning that counts, it's the coming seventh.

Conlan about 30 minutes away from Medal.

19years old God he must be least tad nervous. If he fights to his potential he will win.

He has some future either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

interesting fact of the day - the gorgeous 100 metre hurdler Lolo Jones is a virgin at 30

women of Ireland, learn from her

Care to explain this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Don't really see why anyone would support another country just because they're close. It's nice to see some athletes doing well, but I wouldn't support a whole country

titan18 wrote: »
    Don't really see why anyone would support another country just because they're close. It's nice to see some athletes doing well, but I wouldn't support a whole country

Would you support a football team from another country???

Katie Taylor and John Joe Nevin wins mean far more to me then any other wins for another country.

But I still just like to see them do well. They have been supportive of us tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Care to explain this?

i'd urge them not to follow her lead although to each their own

lolo said it is the hardest thing she has ever done - it must be hard for her suitors too

Katie Taylor and John Joe Nevin wins mean far more to me then any other wins for another country.

But I still just like to see them do well. They have been supportive of us tbf.

I absolutely agree there with me it is Ireland first.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Care to explain this?

When a man and a woman love eachother very much....

Conlan about 30 minutes away from Medal.

19years old God he must be least tad nervous. If he fights to his potential he will win.

He has some future either way.

Have been impressed with all our boxers tbh, O'Neill and Nolan just came up against better boxers, it wasnt as if they bottled it.

Also part of me thinks sending Nolan(a Garda) was a way to encourage the young "lads" to take up boxing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Colmustard wrote: »
    Would you support a football team from another country???

Not exactly the same as supporting a whole country. I mean I want the likes of Lomachenko,Rudisha,Pearson, Murata etc to win, and I wanted Phelps to do well, but I'm not supporting their whole nation. I think it's cool if people want Pendleton to do well etc, but don't understand supporting the whole country

Have been impressed with all our boxers tbh, O'Neill and Nolan just came up against better boxers, it wasnt as if they bottled it.

Also part of me thinks sending Nolan(a Garda) was a way to encourage the young "lads" to take up boxing :p

I might be bit biased, but I fancy Nevin to take the Cuban in semi final too.

My biggest worry is Barnes. He is up against a tricky opponent. Think he just shade it, but he will have to be on his A game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

On the basis of the brilliant job they have done in hosting the games and the admirable performance of their athletes they are deserving of all the accolades which come their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Korea just denied a stonewall pen against the Brazilians.

Come on Conlan!!!!!

Off to roar and shout in front on TV for next 20 minutes.

The Irish can support who they want, the issue on this thread is certain prickly customers taking offence at what they read, watch or hear (but only when looking at British media funnily enough - there is a solution to this if its causing them so much grief).

Not exactly the same as supporting a whole country. I mean I want the likes of Lomachenko,Rudisha,Pearson, Murata etc to win, and I wanted Phelps to do well, but I'm not supporting their whole nation. I think it's cool if people want Pendleton to do well etc, but don't understand supporting the whole country

I too want to see good performances from the stars but mainly because I know who they are. Because of the lead up to these games I know who most the British athletes are.

I follow the cycling so I knew all the track stars as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement