Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

We had 6 boxers qualify for the Olympics, and we have 3, and possibly 4 medals. Some return that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

How many do we have left in the boxing now? Paddy Barnes up for another bronze (at least) tomorrow. Anybody else still in with a shout of getting us at least the 5 medals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Where are we on the medal table now?

Watch out China!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Cool, by 4 points.

But the judging is still nuts, makes no sense most of the time, that should have been closer. Same for a lot of the other fights.
    yea but the french lad was swinging wild and missing all the time. he was the busier fighter, but conlon had more quality in his punches.

quality not quantity ;)

pithater1 wrote: »
    How many do we have left in the boxing now? Paddy Barnes up for another bronze (at least) tomorrow. Anybody else still in with a shout of getting us at least the 5 medals?
    Nope only 4. Katie, Conlon, Nevin and Barnes. O'Neill and Nolan already out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Omg so delighted for Conlon! Seeing him hug his coaches and jump up and down warmed the cockles of my heart so it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The discus champion doing the hurdles - love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

darced wrote: »

French guy landed all the hard punches though[/Quote]

Hard doesn't matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Selby down 4-5 after the first round against his Cuban opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Harting's celebration made me LOL.

Doesn't matter how hard they are, you still only get 1 point for landing it.

yea barnes 2moro i think, but he will have it tough unlikely to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

If only drinking was a olypmic sport.
    Or spelling for that matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Where are we on the medal table now?

Watch out China!!:D

We haven't won any yet.

Guaranteed 3, but not yet won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The Algerian guy who didn't try in another race and was going to be kicked out won the 1500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cogito

It's amatuer boxing though.

racso1975 wrote: »
    I want to the boys in the studio off camera.......id say kenny creamed himself
    Its kenneth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The discus champion doing the hurdles - love it!
    Ha ? What are you on about ?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    We haven't won any yet.

Guaranteed 3, but not yet won.
    Don't be so pedantic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

The reason there was little response is because it was a light hearted joke.

It was snide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

There were a lot of begrudgers in this thread about Ireland's overall Olympic performance, at times I was one of them.

But I think this will be Ireland's most successful games ever.

Selby in trouble here, 12-7 down. The Cuban is very cagey and picking him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

flyswatter wrote: »
    The Algerian guy who didn't try in another race and was going to be kicked out won the 1500m.

Fully deserved too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Can't be accused of hometown officiating, giving the Cuban a far bigger lead than I saw coming.

Colmustard wrote: »
    There were a lot of begrudgers in this thread about Ireland's overall Olympic performance, at times I was one of them.

5 medals were won at the 1956 Olympics - 1 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze. Hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Ha ? What are you on about ?

The hurdles were set up for the final, during his lap of honour he decided to have a go himself..... a nice moment I thought :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Fully deserved too imo.

I don't think we've heard the end of it.

Apparently he was allowed compete after a doctor said he was injured in the first race.

Now he's after running a savage race. Questions might be asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Sea Filly wrote: »
    5 medals were won at the 1956 Olympics - 1 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze. Hard to beat.

Didn't know that,

It will depend on the colour of the medals won at this Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Outside of the 4 boxers do we have any other serious medal prospects left?

Didn't know that,

In official medal ranking terms we got 3 golds 1 bronze at 96, that was presumably our highest finish. If you're looking at medal quality over quantity, would also be tough to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Have we a walker that has a chance?

Hot favourite Selby dumped out by a slick Cuban. Ramirez is going to be a very difficult fight for Conlon in the semi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

The begrudgery on this site is unreal at times. Almost as if people want a massive failure so there'll be something to moan about. Well done Conlan, delighted for him :D

"The Frenchman landed the harder punches" is one of the most pathetic things i've seen on here for the two possible situations from which it was uttered:

1. It is amateur boxing. Get your facts straight and have a think before shooting your mouth off.
    2. If you knew that it was amateur and still made that comment then it shows you are simply a begrudging sad p***k that needs to happy up.

Fair play again Conlan, our amateur boxing scene is showing itself to be world class in terms of the talent being produced.

Really excited about our boxers guys! Dare we dream that we could win 4 golds? Does Barnes have a good chance tomorrow against his opponent?

Didn't know that,

How many are we guaranteed so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can't believe they didn't cut to even delayed coverage of the 1500m final

keano_afc wrote: »
    Have we a walker that has a chance?

Rob Heffernan might do ok esp since I think one of the favourites was caught for doping and was disqualified (I think I read this on here today?)

• Advertisement

3, a probable 4th from barnes. Don't think we'll get any more and Katie is the only one of the 4 who'd be favourite to win gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

3 bronze minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well done Michael Conlon!!

People need to realise it's not the number of punches thrown it's the amount that is landed on the opponents face. Conlon's defence was world class there, he's an very good technical fighter. That French guy was very wild with a lot of his punches.
    People do, but even the guys on the RTE panel have previously commented that the judging can be very confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Any idea if Irish athletes get money for winning a medal and if so how much?

leahyl wrote: »
    Really excited about our boxers guys! Dare we dream that we could win 4 golds? Does Barnes have a good chance tomorrow against his opponent?
    no barnes will find it very hard hes fighting world no 1 and is unlikely to win, but lets hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Any idea if Irish athletes get money for winning a medal and if so how much?

The weight of the gold/silver/bronze in the jewellers

• Advertisement

3 perhaps four

My dreams of us sneaking another from the sailing or equestrian is dying a death.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

nice_very wrote: »
    well done Conlon!! 3 medals now guarenteed

few of the slo-mo bits remind me of that last scene from Rocky 3 where Rocky and Apollo are sparring "ding ding"

Ding Ding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Bill loves the old drug use accusations

Downlinz wrote: »
    In official medal ranking terms we got 3 golds 1 bronze at 96, that was presumably our highest finish. If you're looking at medal quality over quantity, would also be tough to beat.

IMO they don't count, I am very anti drugs I think any athlete caught cheating should have all their medals stripped. Even though technically she did not get caught.

But this is not the thread for that debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

[COUGH] Michelle 1996 [/QUOTE]
    I don't think we've heard the end of it.

Apparently he was allowed compete after a doctor said he was injured in the first race.

Now he's after running a savage race. Questions might be asked!
    I'm in two minds over this.

Firstly it was absolutely ludicrous that the 800m / 1500m events were scheduled in such a way it didn't allow athletes to compete in both. There are only two middle distance events - compare this to the plethora of swimming events Phelps has the opportunity to compete at. Would Seb Coe be in the position he is today if he had to choose either 800 or 1500m before he ran in Moscow?

But the rules are rules and everybody knew the scheduling - he was in effect depriving someone else a chance of running the 800m.

I not sure I'd be in favour of any sanctions being reapplied, medal stripped, etc, however I do think the doctor should come under some investigation - surely what he did is fraud and breaks I'm sure, a professional code of conduct for the medical profession

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement