Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    Jimmy Magee doesn't believe in retirement he'll pop his cloggs on the job

probably get a heart attack when katie taylor wins gold
    leahyl wrote: »
    But wouldn't it be a nice way to go :-P

" and its Katie Taylor!! the young girl from bray Co Wicklow who wins gold for ireland and what a terrific fight it was *ahemm cough* yes she really *ahemm cough cough* she really *moannnnnnnnnnnnn* " SILENCE

:confused: Bill in studio: "hello jimmy we lost you there" "we seemed to have lost contact with Jimmy Magee we'll try and get back to him as soon as possible"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Motorist wrote: »
    Can't stand to see football at the Olympics. Going to overdose after Euro2012. What next for olympic sports - chess playing, motorsport, wingsuit jumping ?

Chess has its own Olympiad, which starts on 27th of August.

http://istanbul2012.tsf.org.tr/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The classic olympic sports are gymnastics, weight lifting, track and field, and swimming. Nonsense such as sailing, womens boxing, etc is a side show which devalues the medals of the athletes of the classic disciplines.

Heres the list of sports at the 1908 Olympics:

Archery
    Athletics
    Boxing
    Cycling
    Diving
    Fencing
    Figure skating
    Football

Gymnastics
    Hockey
    Jeu de paume
    Lacrosse
    Polo
    Rackets
    Rowing
    Rugby union

Sailing
    Shooting
    Swimming
    Tennis
    Tug of war
    Water motorsports
    Water polo
    Wrestling

104 years is surely in classic territory, no? (it was at the 1900 games too btw).

If we're talkign about classic anyway, shouldnt the artistic section be brought back? As well as the likes of Tug Of War above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Chess has its own Olympiad, which starts on 27th of August.

http://istanbul2012.tsf.org.tr/

Cool, is that Kasparov fella playing in it, or did the Russians lock him up for being too erm..."outspoken".

I remember watching the chess on channel 4 years ago, it was fascinating stuff. Particularly the speed rounds where you had to make your move in something like 10 seconds. Oh the humanity of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Bring back Tug of war! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Heres the list of sports at the 1908 Olympics:

Archery
    Athletics
    Boxing
    Cycling
    Diving
    Fencing
    Figure skating
    Football

Gymnastics
    Hockey
    Jeu de paume
    Lacrosse
    Polo
    Rackets
    Rowing
    Rugby union

Sailing
    Shooting
    Swimming
    Tennis
    Tug of war
    Water motorsports
    Water polo
    Wrestling

104 years is surely in classic territory, no?

Classic means "of the first or highest quality, class, or rank".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Is there wrestling this year ? Haven't seen any of that yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Whats rackets?

Yup no WWE athletes competing though ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, there is "Greco-Roman" wrestling. RTE were taking the piss out of it earlier in their usual "round-up. Tits.

Yes, there was some on today. (Red button it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

fionnsda wrote: »
    not theirs i believe, most likely just stored there!

It's in their vault..if they call it theirs who is going to do anything about it?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The classic olympic sports are gymnastics, weight lifting, track and field, and swimming. Nonsense such as sailing, womens boxing, etc is a side show which devalues the medals of the athletes of the classic disciplines.

I really shouldn't bite, but tell me, how is Women Boxing and sailing a side show? I find it funny you have picked out 2 of the 3 event we have been competitive in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Olympics went downhill after Jeu de paume was turfed out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah you'll find it on the red button with BBC. I watched a lot of the the Greco Roman competition over the weekend. Wrestling is one of the original disciplines from the ancient games so it will always be included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

not theirs i believe, most likely just stored there!

The guy on the program on BBC the other week seemed to think it was theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I find this olympics to be totally compelling to watch, and it will be sorely missed when it ends in just five days time :(
    Wonder will there be a 'Big Style' closing ceremony on par with the opening ceremony? Lookin forward to hearing that massive bell again.

Bolt in the 200 please . . .

beep beep

Larianne wrote: »
    Yes, there was some on today. (Red button it!)
    Yeah you'll find it on the red button with BBC. I watched a lot of the the Greco Roman competition over the weekend. Wrestling is one of the original disciplines from the ancient games so it will always be included.

:mad:

For the last time I DONT: AHVE A FRCIKING RED BUTTON :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What is it about these good natured, friendly threads that make some people want to come in and actively try to wind people up?

• Advertisement

Yeah, it really is classical. And fencing too. This Olympics has really piqued my interest in the sabre, foil and their rogue younger brother; épée.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

As well as people think Katie Taylor is doing, it's a shame we dont have any proper athletes contending for medals. This business of women fighting each other is a bit of a joke, in my opinion. It's disappointing to hear all this Irish media hype about her - I wouldntmind if it was a 100m athlete or swimming champion in a proper olympic sport. She is a credit to the travelling community though.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Sorry! You should really stick a disclaimer in your posts/signature. :cool:

:pac:

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I really shouldn't bite, but tell me, how is Women Boxing and sailing a side show? I find it funny you have picked out 2 of the 3 event we have been competitive in.

I think women's boxing is a joke. It's what you see in Tallaght at 3am on the street. It should be left to the men. What next - men doing synchronised swimming ? And also, the medals are devalued - win one fight in boxing against an opponent and you have a medal.

Sailing is a ponce sport not accessible to the masses. I wonder how many of the local lads in Ballyfermot were out sailing at the weekend. I'm sure there are many people walking around with far superior natural ability for sailing who have never attempted it. It's a bit removed from football, for example, where you need a €5 ball and two jumpers to act as goal posts.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

The facepalm of god :pac: see what you've done?

Larianne wrote: »
    Sorry! You should really stick a disclaimer in your posts/signature. :cool:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think women's boxing is a joke. It's what you see in Tallaght at 3am on the street. It should be left to the men. What next - men doing synchronised swimming ? And also, the medals are devalued - win one fight in boxing against an opponent and you have a medal.

Sailing is a ponce sport not accessible to the masses. I wonder how many of the local lads in Ballyfermot were out sailing at the weekend. I'm sure there are many people walking around with far superior natural ability for sailing who have never attempted it. It's a bit removed from football, for example, where you need a €5 ball and two jumpers to act as goal posts.

They could go in for the equestrian sports.

The guy on the program on BBC the other week seemed to think it was theirs.

they have about 310 tonnes not 4600

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=9644

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Derval o Rourke won Gold you properly say that jumping over Hurdles is a joke.

I dont want go down the low road, but your comments suggest to me that you know nothing about Boxing.

We are great country to knock our own.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Not many, sailing conditions were very poor in Ballyfermot this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just watching Laura Trott on review of the day programme, I've decided I'm going to abduct adopt her :p

If Derval o Rourke won Gold you properly say that jumping over Hurdles is a joke.

I dont want go down the low road, but your comments suggest to me that you know nothing about Boxing.

We are great country to knock our own.

I did it for 4 years. Gave it up because coming to work with the odd black eye was a bit of a problem and was only doing it for fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why do they play that stupid trumpet music in the stands during games? It reminds me of a raging bull tearing participants to shreds.

Something that the Beach Volleyball is sorely lacking in

****ing hell, where to start. Firstly, you have managed to insult both women and the working class in one fell swoop. Well done. Have you watched the womens boxing at any point? It is up to par with the mens, in terms of entertainment and skill. Tbh i was sceptical at first, but the quality of the fight has equalled, and in some cases bettered, the men. As pointed out before in this thread, Katie was in that position as she is a world champion, most other had a extra round. Pus, you had to qualify, and they had to fight to even get their sports there, so you could say Katies 130 fights led to that point.

On sailing, I agree its not accessible to the masses, but it is hugely skilful and physically demanding. Worthy of a place in the games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

garv123 wrote: »
    That was a huge waste of 5 minutes, thanks. :D

I did it for 4 years. Gave it up because coming to work with the odd black eye was a bit of a problem and was only doing it for fitness

Should be working on your defence a bit more so instead of trolling

Why do they play that stupid trumpet music in the stands during games? It reminds me of a raging bull tearing participants to shreds.

Something that the Beach Volleyball is sorely lacking in

I remember this starting at the 2007 Rugby world cup in France. You would hear it at a good few Rugby games since.

I heard it in the beach volleyball and thought it was a bit random, but the crowd all bleat like sheep whenever they hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

mike65 wrote: »
    Just watching Laura Trott on review of the day programme, I've decided I'm going to abduct adopt her :p

Want to share?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

LordSutch wrote: »
    I find this olympics to be totally compelling to watch, and it will be sorely missed when it ends in just five days time :(
    Wonder will there be a 'Big Style' closing ceremony on par with the opening ceremony? Lookin forward to hearing that massive bell again.
    I'm interested to see what Rio bring for the handover.

London didn't cover themselves in glory at Beijing with that shambles of a red bus, Beckham, some dross of a 'popstar' (can't remember her name) AND Boris waving the flag and looking totally out of place. Certainly not an auspicious start!

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Should be working on your defence a bit more so instead of trolling

You get them easy enough when sparring, even if you catch a bit of a glove. I gave it up, was enjoyable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

keith16 wrote: »
    I remember this starting at the 2007 Rugby world cup in France. You would hear it at a good few Rugby games since.

I heard it in the beach volleyball and thought it was a bit random, but the crowd all bleat like sheep whenever they hear it.

What a bunch of knobheads. I hope one of the steps on an unexploded mine.

You get them easy enough when sparring, even if you catch a bit of a glove. Enjoyable though.

Dwight Schrute ladies and gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

Anyone else hear Gabby Logan call her Laura Twat just there?:D

What a bunch of knobheads. I hope one of the steps on an unexploded mine.

Harsh. But fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Here you go guys

http://www.site-fusion.co.uk/files/writeable/uploads/webfusion29129/image/00000000lg048_manchester_br.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

they have about 310 tonnes not 4600

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

Over 500 pages and you still haven't copped on that this thread is about sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Well done Michael Conlon. We're drowning in medals now and Katie will turn bronze to silver tomorrow. :)

When's the wee ginger lad fighting again?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Over 500 pages and you still haven't copped on that this thread is about sport

ok ok keep your nickers on!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement