Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

el diablo wrote: »
    Well done Michael Conlon. We're drowning in medals now and Katie will turn bronze to silver tomorrow. :)

When's the wee ginger lad fighting again?
    Tomorrow @ 20:45

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

keith16 wrote: »
    And sitting in front of a mindless TV like that is clearly the right place for you.

Smart TV you must have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Michael Conlon. We're drowning in medals now and Katie will turn bronze to silver tomorrow. :)

When's the wee ginger lad fighting again?

Barnes? tomorrow 8.45

Nevin is on Friday at 2pm

Katie is tomorrow at 2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, we're ankle deep in them:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I prefer her as a wide eyed giggly blonde myself.

She is cute! I like cute.

Hopefully Katie will be one step away from Holy Grail come tomorrow evening.

She should win with bit to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Seems katie Taylor is really hitting the headlines all over the world. Even TIME has an article on her calling her ''the Queen of the Ring'' http://olympics.time.com/2012/08/07/irelands-best-hope-for-gold-boxer-katie-taylor-punches-her-way-into-womens-semi-final/

I hope she dosent end up choking with all this attention.

And the Aussies did a very cheeky article on her. now edited. http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/irish-eyeing-gold-as-taylor-swings-into-action-20120807-23qth.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Laura+Trott+Olympics+Day+10+Cycling+Track+YJG7EaE1Gkqx.jpg

She's gorgeous alright. Can't believe there's not a hot Olympians thread somewhere.

I feel like starting it but seems like it's a bit late in the day now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

after watching the BBC coverage i'm getting the distinct feeling that somebody has burst their bubble.

looking at the medals table i'm not surprised. they are currently standing a lowly 20th, behind such Olympic heavyweights as Kazakhstan, Lithuania & Georgia.

similar countries like France, Italy, Holland and Germany are showing 'em a clean pair of heels.

maybe the pressure/expectations of being the hosts is beginning to tell?

any thoughts?

I know it might seem a little petty to have made a mental note of the goading of yourself and a couple of others in the first few days of the games at the lack of early British success but 22 gold medals later... LOL at your posts now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Has there been an outstanding STAR of the olympics so far - Jess Ennis? Usain Bolt? Michael Phelps? Chris Hoy? Mo Farah? or ???

Maybe Katie Taylor, but thats tomorrow?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Has there been an outstanding STAR of the olympics so far - Jess Ennis? Usain Bolt? Michael Phelps? Chris Hoy? Mo Farah? or ???

Phelps without a doubt, a true olympic legend.

For Team GB Jessica Ennis.

Cannot believe how well GB have done, they have dominated the rowing, cycling, track cycling and they have and will win a lot in the athletics.

bwatson wrote: »
    I know it might seem a little petty to have made a mental note of the goading of yourself and a couple of others in the first few days of the games at the lack of early British success but 22 gold medals later... LOL at your posts now ;)

Last seen here I was also told not to post again but hey I did my ban (only saw that post now in truth!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Jess Ennis I'd say. 100m hurdles was amazing

If Bolt wins 200m then perhaps him.

• Advertisement

Bolt will leave with 3 sprint golds unless someone drops the baton so I imagine it'll be him but if Mo Farah does the 5,000 and 10,000 double that will be the performance of the tournament for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

Missy Franklin and Rebecca Soni weren't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I dont think anyone is really going to be crowned the sole star of the Olympics, it will be just shared out. Phelps is the lead guy obviously. Bolt and Farah will join him if they win the 200 and 5,000 respectively. Hoy will be remembered in the cycling world and in the UK but maybe not as universally as the others. Ennis will be remembered greatly by the Brits. If Katie Taylor wins gold it wont register in legendhood apart from in Ireland for a long time and in boxing for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not really anyone so far. If Bolt wins the 200m, it's probably him, or if Farah can win the 5000m, he'd be a good shout, but I wouldn't say Ennis,Phelps or Hoy should be considered in that. From swimming, I'd say Franklin over Phelps, due to the expectations Phelps comes with. Can't think of much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Cannot believe how well GB have done, they have dominated the rowing, cycling, track cycling and they have and will win a lot in the athletics.
    Certainly they have done well across all disciplines, swimming excluded but even there they picked up a few medals in the face of stiff competition.

The real barometer isn't success in elite sports such as dressage and sailing but in athletics, in which they have exceeded all expectations
    mike65 wrote: »
    Bolt will leave with 3 sprint golds unless someone drops the baton
    Don't know about that, three US sprinters in 100m final looked very good, plus Powell pulling up injured for Jamaica.

Oops forgot about Powell!

jessica ennis has been the highlight for me. That ass :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

On the BBC interview just there, Victoria Pendleton sounded look Frank Spencer.

Spare a thought for Bahamas Chris "Fourth" Brown the 400m runner.

4th in Beijing Olympics,
    4th in 2009 Wold Championships,
    4th in 2011 World Championships,
    4th in Commonwealth games and
    4th in London last night.

Thats just cruel.

4th in Beijing Olympics,

Thats just cruel.

Thats what you call a proper choker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

4th in Beijing Olympics,

Thats just cruel.

Jesus he must be on suicide watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 PoloTops

Does anyone know if Taekwondo if live on the bbc tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PoloTops wrote: »

If its takign place its on BBC , they show everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

4th in Beijing Olympics,

Thats just cruel.

A few corrections:
    4th 2005 WC in a lifetime best
    4th 2007 WC in a lifetime best
    5th 2009 WC
    3rd SF 2011 WC

He's now 33, so it appears he's quite old for the 400m, judging by last night. He's also a former world indoor champion, so he's probably the last athlete you'd accuse of choking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 PoloTops

If its takign place its on BBC , they show everything.

Yea its taking place tomorrow is it live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yea its taking place tomorrow is it live

Yes, they show all events live.

If you've freesat they're all on seperate channels, on sky its on the red button.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    A few corrections:
    4th 2005 WC in a lifetime best
    4th 2007 WC in a lifetime best
    5th 2009 WC
    3rd SF 2011 WC

He's now 33, so it appears he's quite old for the 400m, judging by last night. He's also a former world indoor champion, so he's probably the last athlete you'd accuse of choking.

Sugar sorry I only took it from 2 others web sites that had same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Consistent is the word I'd use

http://www.graceevan.org/files/Adult%20Classes/Bloodworth/bw%20009%20red%20button.jpg

Anyone else looking more forward to another classic Paddy Barnes interview win or lose after his fight tomorrow.

Hope they have subtitles ready.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

4th in Beijing Olympics,

Thats just cruel.

I was cheering him on when the commentator said it before the race :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/loudest-cheer-olympics-far-created-irish-female-boxer-163836554.html

And now I can really appreciate why women like men with 6 packs. :P The athletics women look unreal with them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The beebs sports personality of the year should be a hum dinger this year. Wiggins tour de France and an Olympic gold. Mo farrah maybe 2 Olympic golds. Chris hoy 2 golds making him the most Olympic golds ever by a GB athlete. Jess ennis Olympic gold and nations sweetheart. maybe Andy Murray Olympic silver and gold, Wimbledon runner up and shed a few tears in the process. And a few more as the year progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

I reckon Wiggins. Tour De France champ too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Motorist wrote: »
    I think women's boxing is a joke. It's what you see in Tallaght at 3am on the street. It should be left to the men.

Mod

Motorist, please take your sexist trolling elsewhere.

Do not post in this thread again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I like this thread, its a legendary thread, what it is basically is a bunch of guys and gals in a pub watching some sport and voicing their opinions and sometimes their passions.

Although there was a mod warning on us guys expressing our sexual interest in some athletes and commentators, that is part of a pub natter, and you ladies are wellcome to express your interests, there are some beauts in the male arena, , Usain Bolt, that Brit bronze medal winner of the long jump, Ian Thorpe, Micheal Phelps and that is just to mention a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The beebs sports personality of the year should be a hum dinger this year. Wiggins tour de France and an Olympic gold. Mo farrah maybe 2 Olympic golds. Chris hoy 2 golds making him the most Olympic golds ever by a GB athlete. Jess ennis Olympic gold and nations sweetheart. maybe Andy Murray Olympic silver and gold, Wimbledon runner up and shed a few tears in the process. And a few more as the year progresses.

Yeah wiggo has it for achievement, but it is a plebiscite and Jess may get it on the pure beauty of that night,

I would give it to Mo, I actually cried when his pregnant wife and his daughter came out on-to the track. I will never forget that moment or that amazing night of sport of which he contributed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So the Irish medal tally is about to kick off - so will it be? three Bronze medals in the boxing ring? three silver maybe, or two bronze and one silver, two silver and one Bronze, or three Gold medals for boxing? Have I left ou any sport, or is it just down to boxing for possible Irish medals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I have a feeling that the BBC will break with convention and award more than one SPOTY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Ah, what would the country do without its pugilists? :)

Best of luck, young Catherine!

So the Irish medal tally is about to kick off - so will it be? three Bronze medals in the boxing ring? three silver maybe, or two bronze and one silver, two silver and one Bronze, or three Gold medals for boxing? Have I left ou any sport, or is it just down to boxing for possible Irish medals?

Katie will win Gold im pretty confident of that. If she gets to final, it wont be all one way traffic. If she fights to her best she will win. Simple as.

Paddy Barnes has tricky fight tonight. I cant call it, but with his experience I will just shade it for Barnes. Could go either way and its the one im most worried about. If he does win he pretty much fighting the red hot Favorite Zou Shiming. I don't think Paddy is good enough to beat him although he will want revenge for his defeat to him in 2008 Olympics Semi Final. Closer then 15-0 in that Semi, but that was joke in itself.

John Joe Nevin takes on Cuban No 1 Lazaro Alvarez Estrada. IMO this is our best chance of getting male boxer to final. This is no easy fight and Estrada is favourite, but Nevin is more then capable of Victory and this could be a cracker of a fight. If he does get through he more likely face GB Luke Campbell in final. If scoring is fair then I fancy Nevin.

Michael Conlan again has huge task in coming up against Ramirez the Cuban No 1. Conlan will have to produce something special if the QF bouts are anything to go by. I think Conlan will put on great performance, but Ramirez is that little bit classier and I think he be just too good for Irishman. but its been some Journey for Conlan so far, he has nothing to lose.

So to sum it up there are number of possibilities, but if I was to be confident now I think we can take 2 Golds and 2 Bronze.

At the very worst I think it will be 1 Gold and 2 Bronze, but going to have belief and stick with my former predication.

ATHLETICS:
    c11:03 Men's 5,000m, Round 1, Heat 2: Alistair Cragg

BOXING:
    14:00 Women's Lightweight, Semi-Finals: Katie Taylor v Mavzuna Chorieva (Tajikistan)

20:45 Men's Light-Flyweight, Quarter-Finals: Paddy Barnes v Devendro Singh Laishram (India)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can't see anything coming from outside the boxing ring really. Rob Heffernan may have an outside shot of something in the 50k walk.

Watch out for Alistair Cragg the South African running for Ireland in this morning's 5k semi. He's made the last two Olympic finals so could have a shot at making this one, I couldn't see him getting within an ass's roar of a medal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

4th in Beijing Olympics,

Thats just cruel.

He's been cursed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement