Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just saw this on Twitter from Paddy Barnes on about Conlan

Paddy Barnes ‏@paddyb_ireland
    @mickconlan11 may have got into the medal rounds last night but if he keeps up his snoring I'll be battering him Olympics or no Olympics!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm not sure if this has been confirmed yet, but its looking likely that pro boxers will be permitted to take part in Olympic competition from 2016 on wards. That scares me as it will put a swift end to the nice little programme we've got going at the moment.

Potentially it could also see us leave Rio without a single medal in any competition across the board.

I'm not sure if this has been confirmed yet, but its looking likely that pro boxers will be permitted to take part in Olympic competition from 2016 on wards. That scares me as it will put a swift end to the nice little programme we've got going at the moment.

Potentially it could also see us leave Rio without a single medal in any competition across the board.

Would not worry too much yet. The chances of many Pro fighters going to Rio are slim for number of reasons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think for the bbc sports personality of the year Mo would get my vote too, to overcome the dominance of the African nations in long distance was just amazing. The way he ran that race I was on the edge of my seat for the entire thing, he played it brilliantly and seeing his training partner come in behind him was fantastic. Then the waterworks really started when his family came onto the track, amazing scenes, I won’t forget that Saturday night of sport for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I was so pleased for Conlon but his fights are not great to watch (IMO) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Would not worry too much yet. The chances of many Pro fighters going to Rio are slim for number of reasons.

I hope so, boxing up to now has been one of the few sports to uphold the amateur ethos that the games were once supposed to be about. I think its a disgrace that that's being forcibly brought to an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Colmustard wrote: »
    I like this thread, its a legendary thread, what it is basically is a bunch of guys and gals in a pub watching some sport and voicing their opinions and sometimes their passions.

Ha!!!! I actually went for a run yesterday!! So its not just sitting around in a pub :P

I have a feeling that the BBC will break with convention and award more than one SPOTY.

Agreed. I would not be surprised if they award all the medal winners somehow!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hope Wiggins gets it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ha!!!! I actually went for a run yesterday!! So its not just sitting around in a pub :P

Agreed. I would not be surprised if they award all the medal winners somehow!!:eek:

An award for Team GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

god 322
    nicevery 305
    diegomaradona 288
    jesus shaves 286
    tadghSk 285
    mynameisurl 277
    irish stew 250
    pherekydes 221
    sparks 221
    barney92 211
    samich 197
    mars bar 194
    deftlefthand 162
    westendgirlie 160
    kfallon 141

Ooooohhh....
    God is pulling away from the pack but nice_very is trying to up his pace and stay with him.
    The chasing pack of diegomaradona, jesus_shaves, tadghSk and mynameisurl are digging in deep and look set to battle it out right to the end.
    irish-stew separated the field when he let rip with an almighty guinness-stew filled fart and is now running the race alone as nobody wants to be beside him.
    pherekydes and sparks are beside each other. hardly surprising really as the mods told them it was a three-legged race.
    barney92 is making no headway at all probably because he keeps taking a bite out of sammich.
    marsbar, deftlefthand and westendgirlie could of been in contention for a medal. If only they didn't stop every ten minutes for a fag break.
    kfallon, well he's happy where he is behind everyone else. The motto on his top says it all "I can't get a sneaky finger in if i'm in the front"

• Advertisement

Andy Lee comes across as a sound bloke in his interviews on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Tony O Donoghue is another great commentator who we hear way too little of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

A line in the Daily Telegraph

"Can anyone beat Britains Katie Taylor"

Oh you rascals you *wags finger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bet lost!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/08/australia-sports-minister-loses-bet
    Australia's sports minister will wear a Team GB shirt and be made to row at Eton Dorney after losing a bet with her British counterpart.

Hugh Robertson, the minister for sport and the Olympics, won the bet with Kate Lundy over whose country would win more Olympic medals.

If Robertson lost he would have had to wear an Australia top and play hockey inside Australia House, the Australian High Commission in London.

However with Britain third in the medal table with 48 medals and 22 golds and Australia very much down under with 25 medals and four golds, Lundy has the forfeit.

"If Australia got more gold medals then Hugh was going to put on a hockey T-shirt and dribble the ball around Australia House," she told ITV's Daybreak.

"But if Britain got more gold medals I'm wearing the GB shirt and rowing a length at Eton Dorney. I have cheerfully conceded that I think I will be rowing this time around."

RikkFlair wrote: »

Was that really printed?
    pc7 wrote: »
    I think for the bbc sports personality of the year Mo would get my vote too, to overcome the dominance of the African nations in long distance was just amazing. The way he ran that race I was on the edge of my seat for the entire thing, he played it brilliantly and seeing his training partner come in behind him was fantastic. Then the waterworks really started when his family came onto the track, amazing scenes, I won’t forget that Saturday night of sport for a long time.

And he beat the cube!!

I'd find it difficult to choose between himself and Jessica Ennis. She was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just saw this on Twitter from Paddy Barnes on about Conlan

Paddy Barnes ‏@paddyb_ireland
    @mickconlan11 may have got into the medal rounds last night but if he keeps up his snoring I'll be battering him Olympics or no Olympics!!!

Pretty big word sfor a light flyweight :)

I need to see a link before I get outraged ;)

Was that really printed?

And he beat the cube!!

I'd find it difficult to choose between himself and Jessica Ennis. She was fantastic.
    mike65 wrote: »
    I need to see a link before I get outraged ;)

Dunno if this link will work https://p.twimg.com/Azw7SdNCIAA_vEr.jpg:large

Anyway its all over twitter on the #KatieTaylor hashtag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

pc7 wrote: »

Don't get me wrong Mo ran a great race and I'm delighted for him but..................... it's not like he is not African. He might have grown up in the UK but his DNA is Somalian, hence why he is so naturally talented. I was delighted for his pal Rupp to come in second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jaysus I'm getting nervous already for Katie!!!:o

Whoops, mind you someone else published a picture of the Australian Equestrian team that didn't win gold yesterday when they of course intended to show the British team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

paulgeog wrote: »
    Missy Franklin and Rebecca Soni weren't bad.

Agnel, the French swimmer, should be up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Well considering her Dad's from Yorkshire, she would qualify as British. Team GB would have snapped her up given half a chance.

But she's Irish and ours, thank God for that. If it wasn't for her and the rest of the boxers the whole Olympics would be a pointless exercise for Ireland.

It's just ironic that we seem to do well in sports that involve fighting!

bluecode wrote: »
    It's just ironic that we seem to do well in sports that involve fighting!

Well they don't allow competitive drinking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If they are claiming Katie,we'l take Peter Charles gold medal and the bronze medal that lad from Coleraine won in the rowing last week :D

Cheeky buggers trying to claim our Katie!!!
    Thats a paddlin :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I keep hearing "the greatest ever Olympian" and it seems to go to the men or women with the greatest number of medals. I think that is plain wrong. Sprinters can win multiple medals, so can swimmers as can gymnasts as their disciplines just require aerobic fitness and a burst of speed and power.

But how about the disciplines like rowing or long distance running that require anaerobic fitness when after the heats and the event they are spent and to bolloxed to enter another event. You are not going to get a marathon runner in the 10000 or 5000 in the same competition. Or a rower entering multiple events, or a boxer or Judo athlete who can only enter 1 competition in their weight category.

So I think this category should be judge on not the amount of medals an athlete achieves, but how many gold medals they have across numerous games. So IMO Steve Redgrave is the world's greatest Olympian because he has 5 medals in 5 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

bluecode wrote: »
    Well considering her Dad's from Yorkshire, she would qualify as British. Team GB would have snapped her up given half a chance. But she's Irish and ours, thank God for that.

Katie Taylor's dad is English? are you sure?

Cian O'Connor just tweeted that he is in the final! One horse has withdrawn. Some story if he went on and won gold :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

:eek::mad: Those Brits! Typical! They always try to claim what isn't theirs:D

Shouldn't we be starting a new thread, I thought no thread was allowed go over the 10,000 post mark??? Sure I read that somewhere in the footy forum?

Mods? :confused:

EDIT: I thought there was 20 posts to a page, dum-dum!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    :eek::mad: Those Brits! Typical! They always try to claim what isn't theirs:D

Don't worry, Katie showed them on Monday, that shot that knocked the snot out of Jonas, there was 800 years of anger in that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mike65 wrote: »
    Whoops, mind you someone else published a picture of the Australian Equestrian team that didn't win gold yesterday when they of course intended to show the British team.

Dutch, while wearing bronze medals. It was the Express.

Cian O'Connor just tweeted that he is in the final! One horse has withdrawn. Some story if he went on and won gold :pac:

Just enough time to get the drugs into the horse :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

LordSutch wrote: »
    Katie Taylor's dad is English? are you sure?
    Well if you can call a Yorkshireman, 'English'.;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So I think this category should be judge on not the amount of medals an athlete achieves, but how many gold medals they have across numerous games. So IMO Steve Redgrave is the world's greatest Olympian because he has 5 medals in 5 games.

Hoy said exactly that in his post race interview yesterday that Steve was the greatest because of them being in different games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Thats all it is really, a personal opinion. Personally I'd discount the value of team sports or any sport where a person didnt have to qualify to compete.

Phelps record is phenomenal, and wont ever be matched imo. Merlene Ottey competed in 7 Olympics, for a track athlete that is amazing. She also still runs competively at the age of 52 and was close to getting the time to qualify for these Olympics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong Mo ran a great race and I'm delighted for him but..................... it's not like he is not African. He might have grown up in the UK but his DNA is Somalian, hence why he is so naturally talented. I was delighted for his pal Rupp to come in second.

His dad was born in the UK. Mo lived in the UK since age 8.

If they are claiming Katie,we'l take Peter Charles gold medal and the bronze medal that lad from Coleraine won in the rowing last week :D

Nah, we'll keep Katie thanks :D
    kfallon wrote: »
    I thought there was 20 posts to a page, dum-dum!! :rolleyes:

20 posts? pfft, n00b. Oh wait. You're not a n00b :confused::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Right quick question so sorry if its been asked before but is there any apps or links that can stream the boxing this afternoon live?

I'm gonna be stuck at work and i doubt they'll have it on.

The olympic youtube site won't even let me view videos as they are not available in my area....

Does the RTE or BBC app or similar have a video streaming feature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

danniemcq wrote: »
    Right quick question so sorry if its been asked before but is there any apps or links that can stream the boxing this afternoon live?

The olympic youtube site won't even let me view videos as they are not available in my area....

you can watch all sports on here. Just scroll to boxing and then look for the live stream http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

Or, watch rteplayer as there will also be commentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

danniemcq wrote: »

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

It'll be on there. Stream number 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Did Cragg run yet this morning?

Last update on IrishTimes blog is 11.20 and says its the final lap and he's nowhere in site, waiting on it to update! :(

eta
    : Alistair Cragg finishes the men’s 5000m in 17th position in a time of 13:47.01.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Its not open to traditional pros though, only novice AIBA affiliated pros from the soon to be launched (2013) AIBA Professional Boxing (APB) and the World Series Boxing (WSB).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/28/us-oli-boxi-aiba-women-idUSBRE86R0U520120728

Ken Egan, John Joe Joyce, John Joe Nevin and David Oliver Joyce have all previously boxed in the WSB, which does not uses protective headgear and pro style round scoring. WSB boxers get paid fairly modest sums but still get to retain their amateur status. It looks like the new AIBA Professional Boxing is just an extension of the WSB concept.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5377689

Wow Cuban pole-vaulter's pole snapped :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Mo Farrah is looking good in 5000M heats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Did Cragg run yet this morning?

Ya,didn't qualify,finished well back

I wish I had taken this week off work.

I wish I had taken this week off work.

I was off from last Friday to today, seriously missing my Olympic fix this morn! However I know how to watch Katie on my PC in work so I'm sorted....however my tears of joy (please God!) at about 2.11pm may give me away :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

We should really just give up on athletics and focus on something else. Something white people are better at for starts!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement